Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:54 AM

Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) (22947 Views)

Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? / Paganism And Catholicism: Sun Worship Symbols / 5 Easy Steps To Debunking The Quran (for Christians, Atheists, Agnostics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by herald9: 11:48am On Dec 21, 2014
Kelgabriel5:
so u didn't c d part dat d wisemen offered Jesus(GOD) Myrrh(incense).wat shallow wisdom am i 2 gain frm u sef

What Did Jesus use the myrrh for?

And by the way,If you give a present to a new born baby,Who will actually take the present?

Get wisdom and in all thy getting...get understanding.

1 Like

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Nwokenna: 11:54am On Dec 21, 2014
Truman155:
Men can do anytin 4 relegion .....kill for it, fight for it.... Anything but live for it
This is the most excellent response I have read through all these ramblings.

1 Like

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by nnemmpi(m): 11:57am On Dec 21, 2014
the only thing i know is that i was born a catholic and by the grace of GOD almighty i will die at old age as catholic.in s/east where i hail 99percent families started as catholic before doing jumpology.
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by jeffoe(m): 11:58am On Dec 21, 2014
Youngsage:

i didn't ask you anything about the bolded.

Did Jesus Christ ask you to pray with the rosary always, or did He or any of his disciples pray with it? Yes or No? Present your Biblical backings.

So, your 'virgin mary' visited three children,gave them your rosary and told them to pray 'Hail Mary?! Hilarious! grin grin

What gospel was that visit recorded?

Another story you have been made to believe. *sighs*

Who is Fatima anyway?

fundamentalist or evangelist or what do you call yourself you can't engage the church with 100 of thousands of theologians and apologist with doctorate with your 3month sunday bible school knowledge, the church keeps praying for you.
read fundamentalism and Catholicism by Keating
the apologist explains the basic of all you fundamentalist believe and places it side by side with what Catholics believe.
note: do u have a problem with the prayers in the rosary because there is nothing pagan in the prayer if there is point it out 80% of the prayer can be found in the bible
do u have problems with the beads but u don't have a problem with praying and holding your Bible in your hands or reciting this predefined born again prayer that u guys tell those new proselyte of yours did Jesus also asked you to do that.
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by titoetal(m): 12:05pm On Dec 21, 2014
herald9:

Lolz... you intentionally dodged my questions cause you know there are hidden truths therein...

Why are you people always suppressing the truth in order to continually propagate a false doctrine?

I clearly stated that the incense in the bowl is not to be taken literally...

It represented 'The prayers of the saints' (believers).

Just check out the the functions of incense burning in the olden days and you'll see why it's not still important in this new covenant age.

#peace

My dear, the celebration of the Holy Mass by Catholic is both worship and Sacrifice, amd a re-enactment of the Calvery Sacrifice in an unbloody manner. God never condemn the use of images or sign by humans rather it is giving those images a status of worship which should be for God and God alone. Let me state for you here categorically that Catholics do not worship images rather they are only a physical sign. Philosophically, the human nature requires external signs in order to raise the spirit to divine things. Hence the images and signs of the old Testament, and God Himself gave Moses and prophets of old those injuctions which Christ said in Matt 5:17 that He did not come to abolish rather to make them more effective.
Yes we burn incenses, candles and other rites which you claim are peganism as being practiced by Catholics. However, the Catholics faith believes in the Holy Scripture and the Sacred Tradition and we are proud to stand by it. We do not condemn other peoples's faith and believe either. The Gospel I will preach to you today is the gospel of Love and Good Character. You claimed the Catholics do not read the Scriptures but many christians carry the Bible around and that has not reduced evil and atrocities amongs christians folks. You know what is good and likewise do I. So lets live the golden rule bro.

Peace be with you.

4 Likes

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Kylekent59: 12:07pm On Dec 21, 2014
Youngsage:

Did Jesus Christ ask you to pray with the rosary always, or did He or any of his disciples pray with it? Yes or No? Present your Biblical backings.

So, your 'virgin mary' visited three children,gave them your rosary and told them to pray 'Hail Mary?! Hilarious! grin grin

Who is Fatima anyway?

in that same bible did Abraham,Isaac and Jacob even Elijah,did they call the name of Jesus while praying?
See leave all man to his stand only the end shall tell
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by IgrigiMercenery: 12:13pm On Dec 21, 2014
9jacrip:

Thank you.

Religion itself is mental disorder causing factor in that it is a brainwashing tool like the media and when excessively absorbed, the mind snaps and powerbof logic disappears.

A religious person is no more than a crack head, they both suffer from mind problems and they have lost the power to ask cogent questions, they just want to revel in their high.

The Abrahamic religions are the ones struggling for supremacy and to think Africans even take it too serious than the originators disgusts me.

Deism is good, it is the first step to discovering what works for you. I started off as a deist too but hey I'm a traditionalist now and nothing feels better.

**grins** Deolu, The difference between Deism and traditional/Animism is?
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by rossyc(f): 12:13pm On Dec 21, 2014
Youngsage:

okayy...
So on whose authority or command do you 'pray rosary'? God, or The Roman Catholic Church? And 'Hail Mary'? Also in the bible?
. Go and read the gospel according to luke chapter 1. Verse 26 down. Yes Hail Mary is in the bible.
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Kelgabriel5(m): 12:14pm On Dec 21, 2014
herald9:

What Did Jesus use the myrrh for?

And by the way,If you give a present to a new born baby,Who will actually take the present?

Get wisdom and in all thy getting...get understanding.
u were askn were it was in d bible,i shwd u, u've nw diverted to it's use.Myrrh signified dat his(GOD'S) body was incorruptible.your God is more wiser dan u 2 accept d myrrh(incence) gift thru his mother & foster father
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by SwTeee(f): 12:19pm On Dec 21, 2014
The catholic church is still waxing strong with the highest population of Christians in the world.Proudly catholic
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by urchbarbie(f): 12:25pm On Dec 21, 2014
Rather than opening dis thread to debunk scriptural references, why not open a thread to win souls for Christ. We were sent to d world to make disciples of nations, not turn against our brethren. @least we all believe dat no eye would see God unless he be bornagain. So many ppl out dere don't av Christ in them. Preach to them. Convert them. And kindly stop this fight in the name of church superiority

1 Like

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by mayor007(m): 12:25pm On Dec 21, 2014
But why do most Christians detest Catholicism? Always waiting for an opportunity to lampoon their doctrines. Live and let live, people plus what makes you think your religion is the only way to heaven.
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by onoerime: 12:27pm On Dec 21, 2014
FrancisTony:

"Our father" is from Jesus. He said we should pray it always.

"Hail Mary"- Virgin Mary visited three children of Fatima and gave them Rosary. smiley
hahahahahahahaha I can't laugh o. May God lead us
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by virus04(m): 12:28pm On Dec 21, 2014
Please stop going to catholic church. Since when u guyz(Catholics) have been reading d bible havent you come across this? "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God" <br/> abi una no get eyes.. Yhu guyz dont eat meat on good friday.. Sorry 4 u. Read 1st timothy 4:1-5 "the spirit say clearly some people will abandon faith in later times and obey lying spirits.. Such people that teach it is wrong to marry and eat certain foods" make rev sister no go marry.
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Tallesty1(m): 12:34pm On Dec 21, 2014
italo:

Rev5:8 Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

Incense is used in heaven. Is heaven also pagan?

Give up!
I am not interested in the argument going on here and I wouldn't wanna continue after this comment.

I am replying you because you are misleading people with your wrong interpretations and quotes from the scriptures. Your comment has gathered likes which means that people actually believe the interpretation you gave here. Whoever cause a brother to stumble is guilty of his sins.

@The emboldened: Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.. The incense you see here is not ordinary incense. They are prayers of the saints.

Psalm 141:2 Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
^^That is the incense you see in Rev 5:8. It is not the type they burn in church.

And to contribute to the debate, I think Christians have freedom to or not to burn incense but it is no longer necessary to burn incense to approach God, if we believe what is in Hebrews 9:11-14. So it all boils down to why we are burning the incense.

After the burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, the veil between the Holy Place and the Holy of Holies has been removed ( Matthew 27:50-51). The Law has been fulfilled ( Matthew 5:17)
we can approach God with confidence and full assurance of faith.(Hebrews 10:19-22).

So if your reason of burning incense is to increase the power of your prayers or to appear more pleasing to God, then you are falling into the trap.
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by bennygreat1(m): 12:34pm On Dec 21, 2014
CMARY:
I wonder if you reason with Luke 1vs28 the Hail Mary word of God spoken directly by God to Mary through the Angel. With this word Mary became pregnant without knowing any man. LK 1VS42 Of all women you are the most blessed and blessed is the fruit of your womb. This was a statement made by Elizabeth to Mary under the deep influence of the Holy Spirit. If one has the true and authentic spirit of God one will not be afraid to repeat the word the Angel said to Mary or repeat the words which the Holy Spirit said through Mary. Modified: How come you think if i Say to Mary Holy Mary it is out of place? When Lk1vs48 says that all generations shall call her blessed. She needs to be Holy to merit this title Blessed. And for her to give birth to our spotless saviour Jesus she needs to be spotless that's why she is full of grace and the Immaculate conception. Jesus is God check John 20vs28, philipians 2vs6, Is7vs14, is9vs6 etc. It clearly says that Jesus is God. So Mary the mother of Jesus is the mother me God. Let me ask you again, what is wrong in telling Mary to pray for me or for us? Ok go to 1thes 5vs25 and see where St paul says Brethren Pray for us? MARY IS STRONGER THAN BRETHREN. So you can say Mary pray for us. Go to 1tim2vs1 St paul desired that supplication, intercession be made for all men. Go there and see for yourself. So what is wrong if i ask Mary to intercede for me? You can also go to Jeremiah 42vs 2 and see people praying in a similar fashion to Jeremiah like we pray to Mary. So my brother what is wrong if i say Mary pray for us?

You re blessed my brother... You gave a very salient and notable points.. A true Catholic.. That's you..
Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Jimmyo3(m): 12:37pm On Dec 21, 2014
CMARY:
What makes you think that by Exodus God forbade the making of signs and Images at all? That's a wrong interpretation of the Bible. If it were signs to make or use images then God is the first culprit you know why? In Gen9vs12 God made use of the rainbow to help him remember not to destroy the world with water. In exo12vs6to13 God needed the sign me the blood to locate the israelites. If our all knowing God, who is wisdom himself, who does not forget now needs a sign to remember , and locate his people then you and i need the sign of the cross atleast to remind of the death me Jesus on the cross. Also go to Exo25vs18 God commanded the making of Image of two angels on the Ark of the covenant. And in numbers 21vs 6-9 God commanded the making of the bronze serpent. In the book of Joshua 7vs6. JOSHUa with all the elders of israel laid prostrate before the ark of the covenant that has the images of two angels on it till evening and God did not complain. So what is wrong in my bowing before the statue of Mary who is the ark of the new covenant? Be wise read your bible well.
Please stop comparing humans with God,He alone knows why He did all u've mentioned.But He strictly warned human to stay away from such even when Jesus came He confirmed the ten commandment...JESUS Himself said we should worship the Father in Spirit and in Truth and not in or with images...Please stop siting instances with a higher and sovereign entity to justify the doom of millions of people...
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by iscom(m): 12:40pm On Dec 21, 2014
Where is the ark of God in your church? Read these verses to know why churches use image.
Number 8-1-4
1samuel 6-8-20
Number 15-32-36
Number 21-4-9
1 chronicle 16
1 chronicle 15-1-3
1 chronicle 13-14
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Cheriepet: 12:43pm On Dec 21, 2014
[quote
author=JeffreyJamez post=29071861]

Lol OK....me.....everything about erm doesn't gel with me....well..... I
believe one of the greatest gift God gave to Man is FREEWILL... so
whatever rocks your boat..... *swallows Malaria pills and squeezes
face*...damn I hate drugs!!! [/quote]

Ntoooooorrrrrrrr..... lol... i will send nurse Angela to uwink
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by JeffreyJamez(m): 12:45pm On Dec 21, 2014
Cheriepet:

Ntoooooorrrrrrrr..... lol... i will send nurse Angela to uwink

I go chook her needle if you send her come here....na you I want o!!
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by titoetal(m): 12:53pm On Dec 21, 2014
Youngsage:

Who is Fatima anyway?

Dear without any offence, this your question has shown that though you may be reading the Scriptures but without understanding. I will only refer you to the portion to read but pray that the Holy Spirit interprete the meaning for you. Rd. Luke Chapter 1 verses 26 to 45, 48. Likewise most people who attack Catholic practices and tradition do not know that they are Scriptural. All you young generation of christians that do not know the depth of the Scripture, please next time do your search and study well then pray for Spiritual direction before you question what you do not understand.
The Church (Catholic) gave the Christian world the full Scripture as it is today and any proclaimation made by the Church thereafter can not go contrary to the Scripture as the church Theologians and successors of the Apostles are aways guided by the Holy Spirit. If the church ever made any proclaimation in error, they will openly correct itself.
Dear, there is more work for you and I to do as Christians to make the world a better place wherever we choose to stay and do that. Ordinarily I do not fancy responding to critisim against the Catholic church but to throw a little light for those who wish to reason along.

See earlier post on similar question.

titoetal:
Dear op, I know the arguments on Sola Scriptural quite well and more than substantial teachings of the Catholic Church for those who profess Sola Scriptural. I will only make one reference from your post and if am chanced to come on some other day, I will post other answers.

The Catholics pray to Mary and according to you, it is unbiblical. Below is the prayer as it is said.
'Hail Mary full of grace, the Lord is with you.
Blessed are you amongst women and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.
Holy Mary mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death Amen'

Now, open your bible to gospel of St Luke 1:28. That's the first part of the above prayer. Read further down from verses 29ff.
Again, Lk 1:41-43. is the second part of the prayer.
The third part of the prayer is the affirmation of the church on what the angel, Elizabeth and Mary proclaimed. Refer to Lk 1:48 and also Jn 2:1-5.

On a final note dear friend, the Catholic Church believes in the sacred Scripture and sacred Tradition.

Peace be with you.

1 Like

Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by jeffoe(m): 12:53pm On Dec 21, 2014
herald9:

I pray cause Jesus prayed ...I sing cause the disciples sang....and they are all recorded in the Bible.
But Jesus didn't use incense while praying...neither his disciples... So if you can't answer my questions... just read along and get wisdom wink
did Jesus go to Church or temple/synagogue
did Jesus pay tight
did Jesus adhered to the Saturday Sabbath or the lords day.
did Jesus asked the disciple to compile/read the new testament
did jesus did Jesus did Jesus
Jesus founded a living church which shouldd grow and make certain decision as was noticed by the early church.
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Cheriepet: 12:56pm On Dec 21, 2014
JeffreyJamez:

I go chook her needle if you send her come here....na you I want o!!

I am unavaliable @ d momentsmiley what abt nurse CJ? wink
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by JeffreyJamez(m): 1:00pm On Dec 21, 2014
Cheriepet:

I am unavaliable @ d momentsmiley what abt nurse CJ? wink

Nurse CJ is busy.......better be available
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Christeety: 1:01pm On Dec 21, 2014
herald9:

Lolz... There's a relationship between burning of incense and the prayer of a believer.
Our prayers are like incense which rises into the nostrils of God...That's how incense worked in the olden days...Now that Jesus brought a new covenant... burning of incense is a sin to God.

And from that passage you quoted above... we can conclude that the bowl full of incense are the prayers of the righteous.

Not still convince?

Answer the questions on my next post.

Like seriously...Incense is a sin to God?? What an absurd statement.
Now you are making case that the Bowl of Incense CAN BE SAID to be the prayer of the righteous. Why change the literal meaning.

I'd rather prefer churches that worship GOD like the one described in Revelation. Bowing of Head to worship our God, Altar, Procession, Candles etc. The feeling is HEAVENLY.

Someone talked about Catholic funny hymns...i just laughed. Spiritual hymns can't be compared to recent days pentecostal songs.

Pls i urge all Christians not to compare Churches. Each church has its own Spiritual Gifts.
Moses calling was different from David.

Choose the one you prefer and dont judge.
Judge not that ye be not judged.
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Cheriepet: 1:05pm On Dec 21, 2014
JeffreyJamez:

Nurse CJ is busy.......better be available

ok
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by JeffreyJamez(m): 1:06pm On Dec 21, 2014
Cheriepet:

ok

I'm waiting o..
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by CMARY(m): 1:07pm On Dec 21, 2014
Jimmyo3:
Please stop comparing humans with God,He alone knows why He did all u've mentioned.But He strictly warned human to stay away from such even when Jesus came He confirmed the ten commandment...JESUS Himself said we should worship the Father in Spirit and in Truth and not in or with images...Please stop siting instances with a higher and sovereign entity to justify the doom of millions of people...
My brother why should i not cite God's actions of the past? Are God's acts whether past, present and future not for our own benefits and for us to imitate? The same Jesus You are quoting tells you to be perfect as your heavenly father is perfect in Matt 5vs48. So what is wrong in imitating the perfect God in his actions even if they are past? In Matt5vs17 Jesus said clearly that he has come not to abolish the Law and the prophets but to fulfil them. If i don't imitate God in his actions who should i imitate you?
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Cheriepet: 1:09pm On Dec 21, 2014
JeffreyJamez:

I'm waiting o..

dat will b in 72hrs so b patient
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by JeffreyJamez(m): 1:17pm On Dec 21, 2014
Cheriepet:

dat will b in 72hrs so b patient

Na dead body you wan come carry be that o
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by Cheriepet: 1:19pm On Dec 21, 2014
JeffreyJamez:

Na dead body you wan come carry be that o

abeg o no die oooo... ok i dey come now wink
Re: Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) by JeffreyJamez(m): 1:21pm On Dec 21, 2014
Cheriepet:

abeg o no die oooo... ok i dey come now wink

Better!! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pastor Buries Charm In Church In Benin / Killings: CAN Peaceful Protest In Kaduna In Pictures / Mike Bamiloye: Many Ladies Move Around With Packaged Beauty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.