Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,266 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:31 PM

Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? (12063 Views)

7 Values To Teach Our Children To Make Them Grow Into Godly Men And Women / Homeless Man Inspired Me To Go To Church Today (Photo) / PHOTOS: I Abandoned My Five Children To Become A Lesbian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by iamord(m): 9:59am On Dec 21, 2014
Richiy:
Let me see that child of mine that will open his mouth and say am not going to church. La ye.

If you are on your own, do what you want. But under my roof, church z not debatable.
pls refer to my post above and check yourself
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by Thinkr(m): 10:06am On Dec 21, 2014
OP when I was little my parents didn't force me to read, each time they mention "go and read" it sounded like insult. Ofcos I didn't built that harbit and today I regret it. It affected me even when I went to higher institution. Now... I have a friend, when he was young they force him to always read, he doesn't play well with us cos his mom and dad would beat him if he doent read everyday. They forced him. Guess what? The guy is rili happy now his parents did so. He is a graduate now and he came out awesome. My point is.. Kids don't know what's wrong or right all the time. Its good to force them at younger age so you know you've done ur best. When they old they can choose for themselves. Happy sunday

2 Likes

Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by babaluckey: 10:13am On Dec 21, 2014
Thinkr:
OP when I was little my parents didn't force me to read, each time they mention "go and read" it sounded like insult. Ofcos I didn't built that harbit and today I regret it. It affected me even when I went to higher institution. Now... I have a friend, when he was young they force him to always read, he doesn't play well with us cos his mom and dad would beat him if he doent read everyday. They forced him. Guess what? The guy is rili happy now his parents did so. He is a graduate now and he came out awesome. My point is.. Kids don't know what's wrong or right all the time. Its good to force them at younger age so you know you've done ur best. When they old they can choose for themselves. Happy sunday

God bless 4 the truth...
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by AreaFada2: 10:14am On Dec 21, 2014
frosbel:

The body of Christ, not a physical building.

Read Acts 7:48

My brother, some People tend to read the Bible upside down these days. They take everything literally.

In Nigeria, at least 70% of people under age 55 go to church in mainly Christian areas.

Now biko, is general morality, criminality and corruption not worse than 30 years ago when much fewer people went to church?

Answer: It is far worse now. I witnessed it. We used to preach about town and churchgoers were far few BUT there were more genuine Christians among churchgoers.

Personally, I believe more churchgoing and churchgoers has not translated into more righteousness and better morality.

Therefore, society has not fared better BUT pastors have been making a killing from high customer figures.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by Richiy(f): 10:16am On Dec 21, 2014
dancok:
u her mother, are u save when d trumpet sound,d way am looking at u u are a bad girl. no offence

You don't know me, I don't know you. How then can you judge me?
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by olusimeon: 10:16am On Dec 21, 2014
A parent ought to have put Christ in his children from the beginning if he knows Christ himself. You train up a child in the way he should go....but you can't give what you don't have. If children do not see Christ in their parents they will struggle with Godly virtues like going to church. Imagine a parent that chased his children to church and he remain at home, what lesson is he giving to the children?
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by ziego(m): 10:18am On Dec 21, 2014
Timoleon:

I guess only people who were never forced to church are in prison?

Make research.
May be u would have been a suicide bomber Co's they aren't Christian too.
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by Nobody: 10:21am On Dec 21, 2014
CoCoLav:

I'm not tired OF going to church, I'm too tired TO go to church today.
all join,give me ur pin,when next u skip church u can com pay a visit, lol.
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by iamord(m): 10:22am On Dec 21, 2014
There is an urgent need for separation of the church and state.. People now feel the church is the state
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by ziego(m): 10:23am On Dec 21, 2014
iamord:
There is an urgent need for separation of the church and state.. People now feel the church is the state

What is this one saying?

4 Likes

Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by CoCoLav(f): 10:30am On Dec 21, 2014
dancok:
all join,give me ur pin,when next u skip church u can com pay a visit, lol.

lol. I won't skip church again.
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by iamord(m): 10:35am On Dec 21, 2014
ziego:

What is this one saying?
am sure u have not heard of the word.. “Seperation of the church and state before?

1 Like

Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by Nobody: 10:42am On Dec 21, 2014
CoCoLav:

lol. I won't skip church again.
that is good,what about friendship na,let try it.
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by CoCoLav(f): 10:46am On Dec 21, 2014
dancok:
that is good,what about friendship na,let try it.

Sure why not, We can be online friends smiley
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by taiwo09: 10:49am On Dec 21, 2014
Image123:

Do you force children to go to school, or you try not to provoke them?
I don't know where you pulled your stats about what homes are manufacturing. Anyways, i believe unbelieving children of PROFESSING christians are a result of either devil's attack, hypocrisy of the parent, or not training UP the children in the Way they should go.

U don't have to force them to go to school cus I think school is more interesting than church. IMO!
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by jantavanta(m): 10:53am On Dec 21, 2014
Only children can be taught to accept jihad, eating the flesh, drinking the blood, many mansions there, etc. When missionaries came into Nigeria, it was children they went after.
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by Jennifer89(f): 10:57am On Dec 21, 2014
Op some children like it the hard way.
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by iamord(m): 11:01am On Dec 21, 2014
Since we have been using the “spare the rod and spoil the child” term without applying understanding how far have we gone.. Since we have been flogging students in our schools to do assignments , read ect , how has it reduced failure in schools, we can see that the last waec , only 30 percent of students passed, how has the flogging stopped bad boys from scaling the fence, how has it stopped unwanted pregnancy amongst females, how has it turned a bad boy into good. People don't understand that u can't force a camel to drink, you have to make them love education and not make it seem like its a duty or obligation..only then will they love what they are doing and explore it independently .. Same goes to religion.. We are following the slave masters mentality . Smh

1 Like

Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by Nobody: 11:09am On Dec 21, 2014
the op self. would u force ur children to school if dey refuse?
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by rezzy: 11:27am On Dec 21, 2014
@frosbel, I believe in forcing children to church.

When we were growing up, my elder brother hates church like hummm..... He hides himself so as not to go to church. My mum kept forcing him. Then, a man came from Warri to teach some church boys how to play instruments. My mum begged so my brother can be included.

My brother still refused. She will use her cane to pursue him to church. To cut d long story short, today he is a lead guitarist. He can also play the keyboard. He played for so many Nigerian musicians, and in five star hotels before he left the country.

He is forever grateful to my mum.

1 Like

Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by kamo2930yahoo(f): 11:46am On Dec 21, 2014
The Bible says let us be glad when we go to the presence of the Lord, that includes forced or not forced. In the presence of the Lord, there is fullness of joy.
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by trytillmake(m): 11:47am On Dec 21, 2014
Proverbs 22:15
Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

Proverbs 22:6 NKJV -
Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 13:24 -
Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.oo

Everything good and positive thing u do for a child instills discipline in him, u do not have to worry when he is of age he will decide if what u taught him is right or wrong, of course he will not be with u foreever it is just a matter of time.
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by hectorswag(m): 11:57am On Dec 21, 2014
Timoleon:
The most boring line I hear often is this "train up a chil in the way he should go...." I was trained to go to church dutifully, as a child I participated in different church programme, conversant with the bible, won various bible competitions sword drills, survival of the fittest... Long story short, I don't go to church again. Tell me I wasn't trained in the way I should go!
Seconded! I like straight-to-the-point kinda people!
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by hectorswag(m): 12:02pm On Dec 21, 2014
skytreader:
I fail to understand the rationale behind forcing a child to go to church. Force me to do something and you can be rest assured that I'm going to do it half-heartedly. I then wonder if the purpose of going to church is not defeated. When I was a lot younger, the endless talk used to make me go. Even then, I'd go about an hour before the Grace is said. These days, all I do is to help them lock the gate when they leave. Funny thing is, I go to church fairly regularly in school. There have been semesters where I missed church just once or twice. Just bring your child up the best way you can and let them know God- from the Bible. Church, however, is a different ball game. We all know the hood doesn't make a monk.
Fact! And the ephod doesn't make a priest!
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by hectorswag(m): 12:07pm On Dec 21, 2014
iamord:
am sure u have not heard of the word.. “Seperation of the church and state before?

I'm sorry, can u enlighten us please?
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by 1goodman: 1:09pm On Dec 21, 2014
frosbel:
Every Sunday, many parents remind their children of the obligation to go 'church'. Any child who refuses to go is blackmailed, screamed at, abused and sometimes even beaten.

So my question is , if the bible says we should not provoke our children and since God is also tender with his children, why do parents use brute force to make many children go to church against their own will and then use the basics of life like shelter and money to threaten them if they fail to comply ?

Is this productive ? Could this be the reason why such families / homes are 'manufacturing' more atheists/agnostics/unfundamental Christians than those from other backgrounds?

Is a child going to church evidence that he is a Christian ?

Comments welcome.

'train a child in the way he should go and when he is old he shall not depart frm it'
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by Image123(m): 1:13pm On Dec 21, 2014
frosbel:

What if your son or daughter refuses to go to church with you one morning, what would you do , force him or her ?

Same thing I'd do if he refuses to go to school.
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Dec 21, 2014
I can see that many people here are confusing good discipline and ethical upbringing with church attendance.

Church in the bible never meant a physical building . The original meaning of the Greek word is assembly or congregation and hence the assembly of all believers irrespective of location.

Attending a physical place of worship to meet with God, Jesus and the Spirit is more pagan than christian. Indeed all believers have the Spirit of God and therefore do need to go looking for him at a retreat , physical church, pastors house or any other location for that matter.

God's spirit is everywhere and hence we can meet anywhere, in any number from 2 people upwards. In fact most assembly of believers met in homes as a pattern in the old church, sharing bread and encouraging each other.

Sunday Sunday church is not the recipe for raising up godly children without the good example and ethical upbringing of the parents. Do not expect pastors or Sunday school teachers to raise your children, that is not their responsibility.

It can also be said that the reason why many children grow up and rebel is either because their parents did not live a godly example or the fact that nothing can be achieved that will last if done by force. We are free moral agents.

I will shortly respond to individual comments.

1 Like

Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Dec 21, 2014
Image123:

Same thing I'd do if he refuses to go to school.

Look at the comment above this one. While one must go to school to learn different subjects, church is not a recipe for raising a godly child, indeed most children remain 'believers' either due to the fear of parents or financial dependence. Remove these factors and trust me they will rather stay at home.

God does not expect us to force free moral agents to like him, that's just nonsense. He wants us to use our godly lives to guide our children to the truth. Beating and screaming at children to attend church when they have not committed any sin is provoking them and child abuse.

1 Like

Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Dec 21, 2014
1goodman:

'train a child in the way he should go and when he is old he shall not depart frm it'

Not a relevant argument.
Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 21, 2014
rezzy:
@frosbel, I believe in forcing children to church.

When we were growing up, my elder brother hates church like hummm..... He hides himself so as not to go to church. My mum kept forcing him. Then, a man came from Warri to teach some church boys how to play instruments. My mum begged so my brother can be included.

My brother still refused. She will use her cane to pursue him to church. To cut d long story short, today he is a lead guitarist. He can also play the keyboard. He played for so many Nigerian musicians, and in five star hotels before he left the country.

He is forever grateful to my mum.

He acquired music skills which is different from being godly in word, deed and conduct.

Besides, we are not commanded to force anyone to be a Christian.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Force Your Children To Go To Church ? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Dec 21, 2014
AreaFada2:

My brother, some People tend to read the Bible upside down these days. They take everything literally.

In Nigeria, at least 70% of people under age 55 go to church in mainly Christian areas.

Now biko, is general morality, criminality and corruption not worse than 30 years ago when much fewer people went to church?

Answer: It is far worse now. I witnessed it. I used to preach about town and churchgoers were far few BUT there were more genuine Christians among churchgoers.

Personally, I believe more churchgoing and churchgoers has not translated into more righteousness and better morality.

Therefore, society has not fared better BUT pastors have been making a killing from high customer figures.

Perfectly and rightly said.

More churches than ever and yet more evil than ever which means churches are EVIL.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Is This Allah (chapter 1) By G.J.O MOSHAY / Finally! The Pope Agrees With Muslims “Jesus Did Not Die At The Cross” / Why Don't You Eat Before Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.