Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,683 members, 7,955,534 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:33 AM

..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? (9032 Views)

Abducted Muslim Children Forcefully Converted To Christianity In Edo Idp Camp. / "Why Are There So Many Denominations?" / Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Sharksblow(m): 9:20am On Dec 21, 2014
religion itself it's the problem. God is in your heart, serve him and do what is good. Everybody should believe in God, believe he can do ALL things, believe he sent His son and try very much to do Good.
all these "my church is the best, my pastor is the most holy" won't help
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by herald9: 9:29am On Dec 21, 2014
Alexk2:

but money is never the focus of a true church but Jesus Christ. if you last statement is true about all Churches, then we are in a serious mess already.

That's what they'll tell us...But migrate to their church and you'll shocked to discover other hidden charges.

Irreversible mess,I'll say.Until we find a body that will be responsible for regulating the number of churches springing up everyday.

I thought CAN was in position of authority to do that.But it seems like their duty is to protect the interest of Christians in state and national levels.

So if we do not find a regulatory body to set standards for formation of churches... Then we can only close our eyes and watch.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 10:24am On Dec 21, 2014
A very big problem one of them is, search for miracle instead of Christ. Most chritains these day go to churches just to receive favors and nothing else. So when they don't find the favor they seek, they continue changes denomination of churches till they end up not belonging to any.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Hakeem3(m): 10:52am On Dec 21, 2014
ayobase:

God is dynamic. Of course we also should be dynamic. We are created in His likeness.

Many discoveries and inventions have been possible as a result divine deposition.
Adam was able to name every animal.

Years ago, we virtually had only Army.
But, today we have Navy, Air force, FRSC, Civil Service and the likes for the different purposes.
Humans improvised along the line for efficacy and efficiency.

Years before New Testament, only a congregation was allowed.
Years later in the New Testament, we have countable number of churches.

Churches can be likened to the Military.
As Air force is to the Air.
As Army is to the Ground.
As Navy is to the Water.
As Police is to Enforcing Law and others.
As FRSC is to Road Safety
As Civil service is to Ensure Peace
As Man' O War is to Supporting the Society Socially.
.........and many more.

So is;
Redeem Church to Praise
Winners Church to Prosperity
Deeperlife Church to the Word
MFM Church to Deliverance and Prayer
........and among other churches that share the same calling, but all bound together in Jesus Christ.

Though, we are many, but we are one body in Christ.
In as much as we have fake churches, so we have countless sound churches.
So, you have no excuse of not belonging to one. Know where you can fit in and be blessed.
u must be a lame man reasoning. ..ur point of view is so irrational. . ur type will soon set up ur own ministry just for the money involve... mtcheewww. ..go to hell...
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by NwaJesusteete(m): 11:10am On Dec 21, 2014
Is a problem and is not a problem. Is a problem coz we ain'nt confortable with the conditions of things presently in our society and is a blessing coz it has gone a very long way delimited the height of authorcacy in the various churches today. In other way round, from my own little knowledge permit me to say that Jesus himself is away of all this, how? He said i came not for u to ve peace but to put confussions in ur midst. And again their was divission even in the time of christ, for he replied after the report from his apostles and said, whoever that is not aganist us is for us; now ask yourself what is the esseense of or the summery of the story? Love and forgiveness in christ Jesus is. Now choose ur part. Thank u.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by kazmanbanjoko(m): 11:32am On Dec 21, 2014
iamord:
dry
then why not make it wet. Mofo undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Nobody: 11:47am On Dec 21, 2014
RELIGIONS' LEGION
EACH PROUD OF ITS OWN WAYS
CLAIMING RIGHT OF WAY
TO JUST ONE BEING
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Alexk2(m): 12:43pm On Dec 21, 2014
ayobase

God is dynamic. Of course we also should be dynamic. We are created in His likeness.

Many discoveries and inventions have been possible as a result divine deposition.
Adam was able to name every animal.

Years ago, we virtually had only Army.
But, today we have Navy, Air force, FRSC, Civil Service and the likes for the different purposes.
Humans improvised along the line for efficacy and efficiency.

Years before New Testament, only a congregation was allowed.
Years later in the New Testament, we have countable number of churches.

Churches can be likened to the Military.
As Air force is to the Air.
As Army is to the Ground.
As Navy is to the Water.
As Police is to Enforcing Law and others.
As FRSC is to Road Safety
As Civil service is to Ensure Peace
As Man' O War is to Supporting the Society Socially.
.........and many more.

So is;
Redeem Church to Praise
Winners Church to Prosperity
Deeperlife Church to the Word
MFM Church to Deliverance and Prayer
........and among other churches that share the same calling, but all bound together in Jesus Christ.

Though, we are many, but we are one body in Christ.
In as much as we have fake churches, so we have countless sound churches.
So, you have no excuse of not belonging to one. Know where you can fit in and be blessed.

I love the way you explain you point but that is the point. the diversity is good and that is obviously the advantage in it....but are seeing ourselves as one?...caan a redeemer see a roman catholic member as a fellow brother in Christ?...
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Alexk2(m): 12:53pm On Dec 21, 2014
jnrbayano;
Curse

In John 17:21, Jesus prayed for all believers;

"that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that
they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent
Me."

Martin Luther became wiser than Jesus and veered off. Others followed
suit.

Now, there are many holy spirits and denominations due to greed.

God bless the one holy Catholic and apostolic church.

division is different from diversity bro.....if the denominations are abt diversity, itz well and good coz there is beauty in it but what we have now is divisions out of different doctrines.....same message you are still preaching in your last statement..catholic, rccg, living faith, ecwa..e.t.c should be speaking same language; Christ!..we should share same goal, focus and aspirations and stop talking about what canal issues that divide us.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Alexk2(m): 12:59pm On Dec 21, 2014
lionduke;
I believe in one Catholic church, the
communion of saints, the resuration of the body, and life ever lasting.

so, what do you think of other Christians not going to your Catholic church?
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Alexk2(m): 1:07pm On Dec 21, 2014
Vivipop;
It's a massive problem, one that questions the genuineness of the christian faith.
that is a serious point to pond on there...the problem is in feeling 'my church is better', 'my church is the best', 'that church is there way to hell'...e.t.c...we are just not ONE...
God help Us!
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by lionduke(m): 1:08pm On Dec 21, 2014
Alexk2:

so, what do you think of other Christians not going to your Catholic church?

Nigerian constitution provides freedom of association.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Alexk2(m): 1:21pm On Dec 21, 2014
kazmanbanjoko;
What type of denomination? Is it mathematical or spiritual.

....curency.....
i doubt if you read the post.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Alexk2(m): 1:26pm On Dec 21, 2014
Bitojoe;
Only children of darkness can bring up this topic...

seriously?...pls., tell me more ooo....i'm seriously interested to know why you think so.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Alexk2(m): 1:34pm On Dec 21, 2014
amakufrancis;
About to kick religion aside

advice needed

i strongly advice you to do just that....religion will never save you, only Christ will do...shun religion and accept Jesus Christ as you Lord and personal savious.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Alexk2(m): 1:41pm On Dec 21, 2014

author=herald9 post=29070972]

That's what they'll tell us...But migrate to
their church and you'll shocked to discover other hidden charges.

Irreversible mess,I'll say.Until we find a body that will be responsible
for regulating the number of churches springing up everyday.

I thought CAN was in position of authority to do that.But it seems like
their duty is to protect the interest of Christians in state and
national levels.

So if we do not find a regulatory body to set standards for formation of
churches... Then we can only close our eyes and watch.

the point is not in the numbers but the purposes and as if they all actually think they are working toward same goal.....i mean, is Christ still the central focus?...can i relate well with som1 from another church like my own brother.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by demsid(m): 1:41pm On Dec 21, 2014
talibilm:
wiki says there are 41,000 denominations in christianity .
oh my goodness
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by demsid(m): 1:47pm On Dec 21, 2014
damosky12:

I advice you to go ahead. Kick religion aside and accept Jesus. Jesus is the only way to the father. He is the truth. Thats why knowing Him is knowing truth. Everything you need for a glorious life is hidden in Him.
u mean Jesus navas?
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by ayobase(m): 1:47pm On Dec 21, 2014
Alexk2:

I love the way you explain you point but that is the point. the diversity is good and that is obviously the advantage in it....but are seeing ourselves as one?...caan a redeemer see a roman catholic member as a fellow brother in Christ?...

Biting the bullet, I would say we are STILL to accept ourselves as one.
It is obvious with debates/arguments we do have on NL.

Don't burn incense.
Don't bow down to Holy Mary.
Don't use Drums in the church.
Don't Dress like that.
Don't pay Tithe.
Don't go to Church.
Don't Pray as such.
Don't make/cover you Hair.
Don't believe there is Hell.

These are just mere doctrines of men fashioned out from the Bible or from
an event at a point in course of history, where "Jesus" is never compromised.

Some of us are yet to have an encounter with who we say we serve.
Some are Christians today cos their parents are Christians.
You likewise hear someone says, "I can never leave this religion/denomination"

"Over my dead body", he said when he was told to embrace Islam.
Help me ask if he was actually born into Islam, will he still rebuke.
The same with a Muslim becoming a neophyte.

Those that did research or encounter God have story to tell.
The question is "have u had an encounter with your maker or not?"

I have long time ago stopped castigating Churches and Islam but I wouldn't
call a spade a shovel when the need arises to enlighten, correct and warn.
(my beliefs will surely be tagged "false doctrine" by another)

What if I were born a Muslim?
What if I were born a Christian?
What if I were born an Atheist?
What if I were born a Buddhist?
What if I were born into Sango family?
What if I were.........................

Each person I mentioned above claims the others are on the wrong path.

And what makes you think you are on the right path?
What make you think you can make heaven?
Do you even know if God really does exist?

I see ourselves as one with "Jesus Christ" as a common-place.
No matter the religion, pray others have an encounter.

Genuine Encounter is the ultimate solution.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Alexk2(m): 1:52pm On Dec 21, 2014
hassymo5:
A problem ,,
Right now a girl I intend to marry her parent won't allow us because of diff church baground...

Churches are now condeming themselves..this church is wrong, that church is right. allow God to judge ..

So many GENERAL overseer..A title most men of God are after..

People now Worshipping Men instead of God...

I can go on and on....

sorry abt that bro..i pray God intervene....that is just the many problem caused by that. most times, i wonder if we are all reading same bible. how can som1 claim there is no other believer to marry in other churches different form your own?....
God will break this yoke.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by ayobase(m): 1:57pm On Dec 21, 2014
Hakeem3:
u must be a lame man reasoning. ..ur point of view is so irrational. . ur type will soon set up ur own ministry just for the money involve... mtcheewww. ..go to hell...

I have to bite my tongue.

I am a lame man.
My point of view is so irrational.
I will soon set up church just for the money involve.
I should go to hell.

You even hissed on me.

Next time, please avoid quoting me whenever you have to insult,
curse and accuse without dissecting the matter at hand.

I am being civil. You should respect yourself.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Alexk2(m): 2:14pm On Dec 21, 2014
Anthrophile;
It is a curse ! Which is eligible for
heaven & which is not by virtue of their church tenets? some
churches are so biased & provincial that they see you as unclean if u
are not their church member. A vibrant friend who is also a young
pastor is being seriously pressured by his pastorate to break his 3
years relationship. Why? the mother of the lady he is dating also
pastors in another church and she is insisting he cross carpet to her
church as a pastor before he will be allowed to marry her daughter.

can you imagine such level of canality?...all these will end up making us a laughing stock to unbelievers.
may God intervene.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by herald9: 2:17pm On Dec 21, 2014
Alexk2:

the point is not in the numbers but the purposes and as if they all actually think they are working toward same goal.....i mean, is Christ still the central focus?...can i relate well with som1 from another church like my own brother.

What is this goal-To make heaven.

Almost every church has that same motto...So it can be concluded that they are working towards the same goal.

As far as they are preaching the Gospel and using the Bible, Yes, Christ is their central focus unless you think otherwise.

The church is the body of Christ...We are the members of this body...So relating with each other shouldn't be a problem.
The problem is as the church is multiplying every day,There's bound to be a competition and competition brings rivalry...
And when a church starts rivaling each other,the main purpose are forgotten and enmity sets in...

That's why I suggested a regulatory body to set standards for formation of churches and shut down the ones that doesn't meet these set standards.

1 Like

Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by Alexk2(m): 2:30pm On Dec 21, 2014
ayobase;

Biting the bullet, I would say we are STILL to accept ourselves as one.
It is obvious with debates/arguments we do have on NL.

Don't burn incense.
Don't bow down to Holy Mary.
Don't use Drums in the church.
Don't Dress like that.
Don't pay Tithe.
Don't go to Church.
Don't Pray as such.
Don't make/cover you Hair.
Don't believe there is Hell.

These are just mere doctrines of men fashioned out from the Bible or from
an event at a point in course of history, where "Jesus" is never compromised.

Some of us are yet to have an encounter with who we say we serve.
Some are Christians today cos their parents are Christians.
You likewise hear someone says, "I can never leave this religion/denomination"

"Over my dead body", he said when he was told to embrace Islam.
Help me ask if he was actually born into Islam, will he still rebuke.
The same with a Muslim becoming a neophyte.

Those that did research or encounter God have story to tell.
The question is "have u had an encounter with your maker or not?"

I have long time ago stopped castigating Churches and Islam but I wouldn't
call a spade a shovel when the need arises to enlighten, correct and warn.
(my beliefs will surely be tagged "false doctrine" by another)

What if I were born a Muslim?
What if I were born a Christian?
What if I were born an Atheist?
What if I were born a Buddhist?
What if I were born into Sango family?
What if I were.........................

Each person I mentioned above claims the others are on the wrong path.

And what makes you think you are on the right path?
What make you think you can make heaven?
Do you even know if God really does exist?

I see ourselves as one with "Jesus Christ" as a common-place.
No matter the religion, pray others have an encounter.

Genuine Encounter is the ultimate solution.

thanks for that bro...may God help us.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by delishpot: 2:44pm On Dec 21, 2014
Thank you OP. Just that you cant change some peoples mibd about this. A lot of "christians" follow their papas more than they are willing to follow christ himself and no amount of preaching or talking will change tgeir love for their daddy GO. Theyd rather go to hell than leave their daddy GO. They call it submission I just heard.
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by BestNaija(m): 2:50pm On Dec 21, 2014
[size=28pt]Narrow is the way that leads to life, and very few find it.
#WHATDOESTHEBIBLEREALLYTEACH?[/size]
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by samuelite40: 2:54pm On Dec 21, 2014
Bear in mind, Jesus is not coming for the redeem christian church of God, living faith, daystar, C&S, moutain of fire,.... etc but He is coming for you and for me. Irrespective of what denomination you are He is not concerned @ all. Are you pure in heart? Matt 5:8
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by EstarKeys(f): 3:20pm On Dec 21, 2014
Alexk2:
..So many
denominations; a blessing of a curse to Christianity?

For a long time i've been thinking seriously about this very question.
looking through the bible, i find out that the early believers never had
different churches for different group of believers....you'll only read
about the 'church at ephesus, @ corinth, @ Sardis, philipi,..e.t.c
which are only necessary because of distance/geographical locatns but
all are still under same leadership(the apostles and elders).
In I Corintians chapter 3, Apostle Paul warned the corithians when
issues of who to follow wanted to cause division among the believers; He
called this an act of canality.

Here we are with too many denominations with different
doctrines/traditions with some contradicting each other. I know there
are advantages to be derived in all these but is the disadvantages not
too much these days?
In John 17, Jesus prays for unity repeatedly and i strongly believe, it
is because of the future He saw then.

what is your say?...do you believe it is more of a problem than
blessing?....
air your view pls.!
...for me,,its not bad at all,since its still dat one God we are serving...
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by opiscoal(m): 3:48pm On Dec 21, 2014
THE CHURCHES OF CHRIST SALUTE YOU, Rom 16:16, the message was conveyed by a letter, telling them in Romans that the church of christ in ephesus, corinth e.t.c, sends there greeting,

No man has the right to change the pattern God has given his church, (heb 8:5, gen6:14, 21:22wink.

Jesus is the head of His church Eph 1:22-23, col 1:15-18, because he built it himself matt 16:18,
He is also d foundation ps 127:1, matt15:13-14,.

But every denomination today has its head, or its founder, or general overseer.

The Church of christ message is the Gospel of christ. Lyk d early disciples of christ Rom 1:16,

we worship according to d new testament pattern in "Spirit and in truth"(jhn 4:23-24).

U too can b a simple Christian and serve God without belonging to any denomination of man, to b a christian
1) Upon hearing Gods word, you must
2) Believe (Rom 10:10,Mark 16:16).
3) Repent and turn away from Sin (Acts 2:38, 3:19)
4) Confess christ as the Son of God(Rom 10:9-10).
5)Then Be baptized in water for d remission of your Sins.( Acts 2:38, 8:36-38, 22:16, 1Pet 3:20-21,. For more explanation on how u can b saved.,don't be shy to ask Questions
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by amakufrancis(m): 3:56pm On Dec 21, 2014
crixtex:

Jesus is not a christian... He is the one true son of God.. We live like He did... Hence Christianity is not a religion rather its lifestyle.....

Thanks bro
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by amakufrancis(m): 3:56pm On Dec 21, 2014
damosky12:

True christianity is not a religion but the divine life of God made available to man through relationship. Accepting Jesus isn't religion but recieving that divine life..
God bless
Re: ..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? by damosky12(m): 4:12pm On Dec 21, 2014
amakufrancis:
God bless
You got that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I'm A New Atheist / How To Be The Apostle Paul Of Our Generation / I Left Jehovah's Witnesses After 28 Years - Gordon Cook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.