Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,188 members, 7,818,612 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers (55678 Views)

Lai Mohammed Enjoys Push-Up Exercise With Army Officers (Photos) / Meet The First Generation Of Nigerian Lawmakers To Scale The Fence / Open Letter To President Jonathan By Army Officers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:44pm On Mar 27, 2016
Awoofawo:

Bro I salute your knowledge unlike some here who argue blindly without substance in their arguement!

You agreed most were imprison in areas mostly believed to be favourable for their protection!!! Ironsi never real believes he will be overthrow cos of over confidence ( Na boastfulness and inability to be proacive bend him bone) cool
In his book, Because I Am Involved, when writing on Nzeogwu, Ojukwu says "When I was announced as the Governor of the Eastern Region, I started working secretly to get all the detainees transferred to the east."

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by Ninilowo(m): 1:44pm On Mar 27, 2016
perfectgen:

Sir, this is a subject of disagreement as Madiebo's claim has been refuted by Ademulegun, who was one of the active participants in the 1966 coup and to the best of my understanding since Madiebo was not actively involved in the coup, the best he can do is account from other people's statement, I implore you to read "why we struck" by Ademoyega Ademulegun.
Thanks. I am talking of the war and not the coup itself. I actually read almost every book about the coup and the war including "my Command" by OBJ. I also have the privilege of watching the clips of the war itself. Once again, thanks. Meanwhile, "Why we Struck" was written by 'WALE ADEMOYEGA and not ADEMULEGUN. Sam ADEMULEGUN was the commander of 2nd Brigade then. He was killed along with Zakari Maimalari.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by Ninilowo(m): 1:47pm On Mar 27, 2016
bolakale30:

Waoh! You have the book? I have searched many a bookshop for a copy. Can I swap my Adewale Ademoyega's "why we struck" with it
One can't just get the book even on the net. If you see my copy eh, you ll laff cos almost every soldier in any barracks I step my feet has borrowed the book and some pages are very faded
Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by Ninilowo(m): 1:49pm On Mar 27, 2016
Omoluabi16:
Hello..where do you think I can get madiebo's book, or any other account of the Nigerian civil war?
My brother, the book is as scarce as fresh water in the ocean. Even "why we struck" is scarce too
Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by Ninilowo(m): 1:56pm On Mar 27, 2016
niceprof:

Most of those fine ibo officers there were buried alive in the counter coup of 1966,the first coup was spearheaded by Nzeogwu a midwesterner(present day Delta)and it was tagged an ibo Coup,today when i see Nzeogwu's kit and kin denying the ibos accross the Niger,i shake my head.

Thumbs up to Generals Ojukwu,Effiong,Madiebo et al who stood up and where counted when the chips where down.
It was a very horrible "counter" coup detat and even the war that followed. All soldier involved in the war showed character through d war. I pray we don't witness such again in Nigeria
Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by Omoluabi16(m): 6:44pm On Mar 27, 2016
Ninilowo:
My brother, the book is as scarce as fresh water in the ocean. Even "why we struck" is scarce too
kai! This is painful..I am so tired of this half-truths. Ojukwu refused to do justice on this issue,Adekunle,Ademulegun,And the others failed to fully document an account of the war.I really wish nzeogwu, Banjo and others were alive.Those 1st 10 years of our history seems to be the most important..Cos whatever we're facing now can be traced to those perilious times.Only God know the truth.
Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by AnanseK(m): 6:45pm On Mar 27, 2016
preselect:

[size=13pt]Ironsi was the most senior military officer under Balewa. He stopped the coup. He didnt take over the govt, but the national assembly, full of cowards (it's easy to judge them now but I admit I dont know the tension they may have felt at that time) under the senate president, decided to hand over to the military. and so they called ironsi and asked him to take over.

the politicians might have feared for their lives bc of what happened a few yrs earlier in the congo, where there was instability and the nation was going into civil war when stability was restored by the congolese military under mobutu, so they hoped the nigerian military would do the same especially as many of the nigerian officers were part of the UN mission to the congo during their crisis.[/size]
#BringBackOurGirls

Why was Zakariya Maimalari and other non Igbo Senior officers killed by ifeajuna but Ironsi and other Igbo officers and politicians preserved. Please it's too late to change and whitewash this well known genocidal coup , we all know what happened and we will never forget.

3 Likes

Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by Omoluabi16(m): 6:50pm On Mar 27, 2016
Ninilowo:
It was a very horrible "counter" coup detat and even the war that followed. All soldier involved in the war showed character through d war. I pray we don't witness such again in Nigeria
I studied the coup/counter coup to the best of my ability. Was Nzeogwu and co tribalists? Did they intend to achieve ethnic domination or install Awolowo as claimed? The counter coup was simply Tribalim/ethnic cleansing.It had no national motive.It became WE.. THEM.. Imagine fine soldiers like Banjo, ifeajuna,Nzeogwu, Maimalari dieng just anyhow.These soldiers were the finest this country has ever produced. But sadly, tribalism punctured their brilliance.

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by Omoluabi16(m): 6:54pm On Mar 27, 2016
AnanseK:

Why was Zakariya Maimalari and other non Igbo Senior officers killed by ifeajuna but Ironsi and other Igbo officers and politicians preserved. Please it's too late to change and whitewash this well known genocidal coup , we all know what happened and we will never forget.
it was never an igbo coup,it is documented there was widespread corruption.A yoruba man was also among the coupist. However the counter coup destroyed this country..that was ethnic cleansing..wanton killing on the basis of tribe. Before you judge me.. I am YORUBA.
Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by AnanseK(m): 6:55pm On Mar 27, 2016
perfectgen:

Sir, this is a subject of disagreement as Madiebo's claim has been refuted by Ademulegun, who was one of the active participants in the 1966 coup and to the best of my understanding since Madiebo was not actively involved in the coup, the best he can do is account from other people's statement, I implore you to read "why we struck" by Ademoyega Ademulegun.

Chukwuma Nzegwu walked into brigadier generals Ademuleguns house in Kaduna and shot him until he was dead, right infront of his wife and children on that Friday night of the 15th January 1966 , and here you are talking about Ademulegun being part of the genocidal Igbo officers. Please get some knowledge before making posts even on NL.

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by AnanseK(m): 6:59pm On Mar 27, 2016
Omoluabi16:
it was never an igbo coup,it is documented there was widespread corruption.A yoruba man was also among the coupist. However the counter coup destroyed this country..that was ethnic cleansing..wanton killing on the basis of tribe. Before you judge me.. I am YORUBA.

You can claim to be Yoruba but we know what the Igbo majors did and you have not answered my question or changed the known facts about the jan 1966 ethnic cleansing by these majors.

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by Omoluabi16(m): 7:07pm On Mar 27, 2016
AnanseK:

You can claim to be Yoruba but we know what the Igbo majors did and you have not answered my question or changed the known facts about the jan 1966 ethnic cleansing by these majors.
The northerner convince themselves, the igbos wanted to eliminate them.I stand by my word,The coup wasnt an ethnic cleansing.Unegbe was killed yea? An Igbo man. Akintola was killed yea? A yoruba man. Wasnt okotie eboh killed also?

I do not claim to be yoruba.. I am yoRuba. I try to be objective about national issues, not sacrifice truth on the altar of religion/tribe.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by Ninilowo(m): 9:20pm On Mar 27, 2016
Omoluabi16:
I studied the coup/counter coup to the best of my ability. Was Nzeogwu and co tribalists? Did they intend to achieve ethnic domination or install Awolowo as claimed? The counter coup was simply Tribalim/ethnic cleansing.It had no national motive.It became WE.. THEM.. Imagine fine soldiers like Banjo, ifeajuna,Nzeogwu, Maimalari dieng just anyhow.These soldiers were the finest this country has ever produced. But sadly, tribalism punctured their brilliance.
Not at all my brother, sincerely yours the July guys were of plain mind and there's no way a certain group or ethnicity ll not be affected cos most of them were in powered . Nzeogwu was convinced by Madiebo to come down to Lagos on the premise that since Nzeogwu had taken care of the North and Ironsi had foiled Lagos operation, Nzeogwu should surrender to Ironsi since the overall aim of revolution, which was to get rid of the "corrupt" politians, had been achieved. So cos of that he agreed and came down to Lagos only for him to be arrested.
Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by Ninilowo(m): 9:31pm On Mar 27, 2016
Omoluabi16:
kai! This is painful..I am so tired of this half-truths. Ojukwu refused to do justice on this issue,Adekunle,Ademulegun,And the others failed to fully document an account of the war.I really wish nzeogwu, Banjo and others were alive.Those 1st 10 years of our history seems to be the most important..Cos whatever we're facing now can be traced to those perilious times.Only God know the truth.
Honestly my brother, from all accounts and personal interactions from some officers that fought on both sides, (Nigeria and Biafra) Madiebo's account is still the closest to the reality. I don't like talking about what am not sure of and that's what prompted me probe much into the history of the war itself. It's a pity many pple don't know what it means to be at war. My brother NO BE SHERE SHERE. A o nii ri ogun nile yi mo.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by Omoluabi16(m): 9:38pm On Mar 27, 2016
Ninilowo:
Honestly my brother, from all accounts and personal interactions from some officers that fought on both sides, (Nigeria and Biafra) Madiebo's account is still the closest to the reality. I don't like talking about what am not sure of and that's what prompted me probe much into the history of the war itself. It's a pity many pple don't know what it means to be at war. My brother NO BE SHERE SHERE. A o nii ri ogun nile yi mo.
Yes bro.. War isn't a good thing.No one wins a war, everyone loses.I was just thinking if nigeria never had those coups, or the civil war.would we be for the better or for worse? We would never fight again.Those were dark times,anyone beating the drumbeats of war will only fight Himself. PEACE.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by Ninilowo(m): 11:59pm On Mar 27, 2016
Omoluabi16:
Yes bro.. War isn't a good thing.No one wins a war, everyone loses.I was just thinking if nigeria never had those coups, or the civil war.would we be for the better or for worse? We would never fight again.Those were dark times,anyone beating the drumbeats of war will only fight Himself. PEACE.
Brother, only God can answer that question cos as at that period, the corruption level was as it is but pple may not know due to low level of education. That was what those guys saw but now, we are just crucifying them left right and centre. I believe if Nzeogwu had the main aim of ruling Nigeria, he would have gone ahead to probably split Nigeria then cos he was in Total control of the north and he was ready to move south to crush Ironsi. And I sure he would have succeeded cos of the fact that most fighting troops were in the north and he had their loyalties. He also had the services of some "ruthless" and intelligent officers such as Timothy Onwatuegwu, Capt Gbulie, Ltd. Okafor, 2/Lt Ileabachi of Ammunition Services Depot, Major Alphonsus Keshi, Capt Dilibe (1 Brigade Staff Capt), Lt. Nwokedi (NMTC) just to mention a few. But at the end of the day, he was convinced by Madiebo to shelf the idea and hand over to Ironsi which he did. So in my own opinion, the "Damissa boys" were not that power hungry.
Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by preselect(m): 5:09pm On Mar 28, 2016
AnanseK:

i'm not sure Ironsi was in the list of those they wanted to kill. they were after politicians not soldiers. the igbo politicians who survived were bc of the failure of those assigned in the east. but anyways, we know how the north intepreted the coup and how they responded. 30,000 igbos murdered in cold blood. 2.5 million killed in the war, another group of 100s of igbos killed time and again in the north over flimsy excuses such as a newspaper in denmark, miss world in abuja, etc

anyways, make we leave matter. i'm trying to learn more about true history. I will find time, find shagari's book, and read it.

#WhatHappenedToChibok

1 Share

Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by preselect(m): 5:11pm On Mar 28, 2016
Ninilowo:

[size=13pt]another good read is "why we struck" by ademola ademoyega.
truth cannot be hidden forever.[/size]

#BringBackOurGirls

Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by preselect(m): 5:12pm On Mar 28, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

Even Mamman Vatsa expressed his displeasure over the action of Ironsi whom he said, as the GOC, was supposed to be fashioning ways on court martialing the soldiers, but chose to assume the political post of leading the country.

Ironsi had all the soldiers locked up. they were in prison when the war broke out
Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:49pm On Mar 28, 2016
preselect:

Ironsi had all the soldiers locked up. they were in prison when the war broke out
Were they court martialled?
Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:53pm On Mar 28, 2016
preselect:

i'm not sure Ironsi was in the list of those they wanted to kill. they were after politicians not soldiers. the igbo politicians who survived were bc of the failure of those assigned in the east. but anyways, we know how the north intepreted the coup and how they responded. 30,000 igbos murdered in cold blood. 2.5 million killed in the war, another group of 100s of igbos killed time and again in the north over flimsy excuses such as a newspaper in denmark, miss world in abuja, etc

anyways, make we leave matter. i'm trying to learn more about true history. I will find time, find shagari's book, and read it.

#WhatHappenedToChibok
Don Okafor was assigned the task of arresting Ironsi but he failed. It's not clear if Ironsi was part of the whole plot because Ifeajuna refused to give the task of arresting him to Ademoyega.
Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by preselect(m): 5:56pm On Mar 28, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

Were they court martialled?

i dunno what u mean by "court martialled". i guess it's about trying them and locking them up. if so, well they were in prison. he locked them up. what does court martial mean. I aint in the military.

#APC=A-PlanlessCommittee

1 Share

Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by preselect(m): 6:00pm On Mar 28, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

Don Okafor was assigned the task of arresting Ironsi but he failed. It's not clear if Ironsi was part of the whole plot because Ifeajuna refused to give the task of arresting him to Ademoyega.

I can't answer this. this runs contrary to all that I know about that coup. I had no idea Ironsi was on the hit list.
#ChangeDonKillUsOoo

Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:06pm On Mar 28, 2016
preselect:

I can't answer this. this runs contrary to all that I know about that coup. I had no idea Ironsi was on the hit list.
#ChangeDonKillUsOoo
Go read Adewale Ademoyega's Why We Struck, the part where he writes on Major Donatus Okafor and the D-Day. Read A. M. Manasara's The Five Majors, Why They Struck.
Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:15pm On Mar 28, 2016
preselect:

i dunno what u mean by "court martialled". i guess it's about trying them and locking them up. if so, well they were in prison. he locked them up. what does court martial mean. I aint in the military.

#APC=A-PlanlessCommittee
Martial court is the court where military men are tried. Immediately after the coup of January 15, all the coupist were arrested except for Ifeajuna who fled to Ghana. Those arrested were held in the police HQ in Ikoyi from where they were taken to the panel set up to try them as just civil offenders. After this, they were supposed to appear before a martial court which Ironsi never constituted. He rather chose to detain them in different prisons in the south.

After the coup of 1976, Obasanjo set up a martial court headed by Gen. Abisoye to try Dimka and co.
Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by preselect(m): 6:50pm On Mar 28, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

Martial court is the court where military men are tried. Immediately after the coup of January 15, all the coupist were arrested except for Ifeajuna who fled to Ghana. Those arrested were held in the police HQ in Ikoyi from where they were taken to the panel set up to try them as just civil offenders. After this, they were supposed to appear before a martial court which Ironsi never constituted. He rather chose to detain them in different prisons in the south.

After the coup of 1976, Obasanjo set up a martial court headed by Gen. Abisoye to try Dimka and co.

okay. thanks
Re: Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers by Saladin1: 7:44pm On Mar 29, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

Shehu Shagari and Richard Akinjide who were ministers in the cabinet said they never handed over power on will to Ironsi but were forced to by the GOC himself.

After the abduction of the PM, Tafawa-Balewa, the minister chose Zana Dicherima as the acting PM, but the acting President Nwafor Orizu refused to swear him in. The NCNC members insisted on making Ozumba Mbadiwe the acting PM.

Go read Shehu Shagari's Beckoned To Serve.

Exactly what Kole Omotosho also reported in his book "Just before the dawn" Zanna Dipcherima was chosen to be acting PM but Orizu Nwafor handed over to Ironsi which makes the Northern insecure and fearful of an Ibo agenda.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bokom Haram: Governor Zulum Shielded From Gunshots / Dino Melaye Divided Senate Meeting Over "Militarized Election Statement" / Tinubu Leaves For UK To Visit Late Son's Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.