Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,752 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? (7544 Views)

We Must Cut N18,000 Minimum Wage Or Sack Workers — Governors / N18,000 Minimum Wage Though Not Enough, We Won't Slash Workers' Salary- Fayose / Policemen To Earn New Wage From October (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Dec 21, 2014
At the end of the day, what can one do with the 14k?
Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by Firefire(m): 10:42pm On Dec 21, 2014
chamboy:
I knw na, buh u sabi. Na

so if you know, why are you finding it difficult to support the fresh air ?

Or you want us to go back to Babylon
Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by Firefire(m): 10:44pm On Dec 21, 2014
“If you don’t have minimum wage in place, some employers, especially private sector (here we are talking of some Asian employers)- they will pay graduates, whether they are polytechnic or university graduates – N5,000.

“I think the whole idea is you must have minimum floor below which no worker will earn and the same thing applies for minimum hours of work.”

- The Vice President, Nigeria Labour Congress, Isa Aremu

1 Like

Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by Firefire(m): 10:48pm On Dec 21, 2014
Fellow Nigerians,

Can you see the logic in President Goodluck Jonathan signing to Law the Minimum Wage Bill

Not to protect government workers alone but also Nigerian workers with private companies.

God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Shalom!

Firefire

3 Likes

Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by OKDnigeria: 10:49pm On Dec 21, 2014
Apart from d general minimum wage sef, many labor unions eg ASUU, NMA, Judiciary Workers etc have agitated for and gotten wage increases oo.

GEJ also increased corpers' allawee by 100%.

Where den is he getting d money to do all he's doing? I doff my cap for him oo.

2 Likes

Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by Firefire(m): 10:52pm On Dec 21, 2014
Many states governors, including APC state are against the minimum wage:

“These governors who don’t want to pay 18,000 minimum wage, they are the ones using private jets. They even have private terminals now, for themselves.

“Also, the same governors have minimum pay for themselves” he said, noting that the same applied to senators.

“There’s a minimum pay for all of them so why do you want to apply this double standard to the working people. I think it’s ill-informed. It’s an abuse of trust

- I. Aremu

2 Likes

Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Dec 21, 2014
atlwireles:

Unfortunately government spending never comes down. That's why, we should only increase spending, when the economic and social payoffs are tangible.
BROS E BE LIKE SAY YOU DON PORT
Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by Acidosis(m): 10:52pm On Dec 21, 2014
WhiteTechnology:

Who increased NYSC allawe from #9800 to #19800.?

ahahaha
the same "clueless" one cheesy cheesy
Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by chamboy(m): 10:55pm On Dec 21, 2014
Firefire:

so if you know, why are you finding it difficult to support the fresh air ?

Or you want us to go back to Babylon
fresh fish ni

1 Like

Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by ShakaZullu(m): 10:56pm On Dec 21, 2014
Kenai:

It was General Muhammadu Buhari.
Under 1 year, he built 3 refineries, improved electricity from 4,000MW to 68,900MW, stabilized the naira to the point it was trading at 1 naira against 60 dollars, fought corruption by being the plaintiff, the judge and the jury, reduced inflation from 94% to 0.003%, built the statue of liberty, introduced GSM to Nigeria, fixed Humpty-Dumpty, and defeated Satan, Hitler and Chuck Norris.

Sai Buhari!

Lol
BTW

Buhari is a terrorist
Apc is BOKOHARAM
Tinubu is a bastard
Osinbajo is a vagabond
Gej till 2019

3 Likes

Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by atlwireles: 10:57pm On Dec 21, 2014
AKUNWATA1:
BROS E BE LIKE SAY YOU DON PORT

Never Never Nevergrin grin grin grin, I was never in support of the minimum wage increase and rescinding, the removal of petrol subsides. My two disappointments.
Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by Firefire(m): 11:08pm On Dec 21, 2014
atlwireles:

Never Never Nevergrin grin grin grin, I was never in support of the minimum wage increase and rescinding, the removal of petrol subsides. My two disappointments.

yeah,

But full deregulation and transparency on the part of subsidy removal could save Nigeria in coming days.
Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by omenka(m): 11:10pm On Dec 21, 2014
Guys go back to page one and do yourselves a favour at my response.

These Jonathanians are simply too basic for my liking.
Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by atlwireles: 11:11pm On Dec 21, 2014
Firefire:

yeah,

But full deregulation and transparency on the part of subsidy removal could save Nigeria in coming days.

It must happen in 2015..
Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by Firefire(m): 11:14pm On Dec 21, 2014
omenka:
Guys go back to page one and do yourselves a favour at my response.

These Jonathanians are simply [b]too basic [/b]for my liking.

We only work at the basic level until required to move to advance stage. ( A message the general public could get easily)

What advance stage are you looking at sir ?

2 Likes

Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by Firefire(m): 11:16pm On Dec 21, 2014
atlwireles:

It must happen in 2015..

By God's Grace!

I am working towards getting a confirmed and written statement from GEJ, promising what his plans are for coming years if given another opportunity of four years.

1 Like

Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by omenka(m): 11:19pm On Dec 21, 2014
Firefire:

We only work at the basic level until required to move to advance stage. ( A message the general public could get easily)

What advance stage are you looking at sir ?
Your sarcasm fell flat buddie. Go back and respond to what I posted.

I bet you must have read it and don't just know how to respond to it. I don't even wanna start with the op. He doesn't have even the slightest of what it takes to engage me.
Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by atlwireles: 11:22pm On Dec 21, 2014
Firefire:

By God's Grace!

I am working towards getting a confirmed and written statement from GEJ, promising what his plans are for coming years if given another opportunity of four years.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by Firefire(m): 11:22pm On Dec 21, 2014
omenka:
Watch this space.

Now,

This is particularly in response to firefire's post regarding stats about minimum wage paid by APC states.

Here are some general info and stats for yall.

Now look at the bolded and tell me how many APC states are there and how many PDP's are there.

Again..

The Thisday report is particularly damning!!

First, it shows the FG pushed for the implementation of the minimum wage in very bad faith. Workers had been receiving over N17, 000 and all she needed to do was add a paltry 0.01% to take it to the stipulated minimum wage leaving the states with the hot end of the rod!!!!!!! This is a complete 419 if you ask me.

Besides that, even with the insignificant increment, they still couldn't fully do the implementation yet someone wants to come here and cast aspersions on APC states and giving Jonathan undue credit for what is in fact a colossal injustice to the states!!

When next you people want to throw jibes, do your homework properly before going public.

I see, it was not there before... wink
Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by omenka(m): 11:25pm On Dec 21, 2014
Firefire:

I see, it was not there before... wink
Is this all you've got to say?? undecided

Abeg nor dey wink at me. Una own don dey too much.
Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by Firefire(m): 11:30pm On Dec 21, 2014
omenka:
Your sarcasm fell flat buddie. Go back and respond to what I posted.

I bet you must have read it and don't just know how to respond to it. I don't even wanna start with the op. He doesn't have even the slightest of what it takes to engage me.

In response to your post:

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has listed
the defaulting states as Anambra, Ebonyi, Plateau, Kwara, Kebbi, Niger, Osun, Enugu and Zamfara.

It accused the states of failing to complete talks with the Joint Public Service Negotiation Council (JPSNC) on the implementation of the N18,000 national minimum wage....

Sadly, workers under the employ of Enugu, Zamfara, Niger and Ebonyi state governments are yet to be paid the new wage despite pressure from labour.

According to your quoted submission few states in Nigeria are yet to fully implement the minimum wage, however the pressure base on the signed bill by the president have pushed the compliance to 90% which is a success story to the President and the Nigeria workers.

The message the OP is passing is very basic who "Increased the minimum wage from 7,000 to 18,000 Naira"

The next question would now be what is the compliance level? which records have shown to be 90%.

1 Like

Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by omenka(m): 11:49pm On Dec 21, 2014
Firefire:

In response to your post:

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has listed
the defaulting states as Anambra, Ebonyi, Plateau, Kwara, Kebbi, Niger, Osun, Enugu and Zamfara.

It accused the states of failing to complete talks with the Joint Public Service Negotiation Council (JPSNC) on the implementation of the N18,000 national minimum wage....

Sadly, workers under the employ of Enugu, Zamfara, Niger and Ebonyi state governments are yet to be paid the new wage despite pressure from labour.

According to your quoted submission few states in Nigeria are yet to fully implement the minimum wage, however the pressure base on the signed bill by the president have pushed the compliance to 90% which is a success story to the President and the Nigeria workers.

The message the OP is passing is very basic who "Increased the minimum wage from 7,000 to 18,000 Naira"

The next question would now be what is the compliance level? which records have shown to be 90%.
Records show compliance of 90% when well over 20 states have defaulted on implementation What in God's name are you talking about?

And like I said, the rubbish was done in very bad faith. The FG knew the states were gonna be the ones bearing the brunt of the law given that state workers were receiving very low minimum wages (5000 - 8000) and would have their pay increased by over 100%, whereas the FG's workers would have theirs increase by a paltry 5.56% (17000 - 18000)!!! What greater injustice is there to the states than this??

And by the way, do you guys even realise the damn law is being struck out under the current constitution amendment due to its innumerable drawbacks??
Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by Firefire(m): 12:02am On Dec 22, 2014
omenka:
Records show compliance of 90% when well over 20 states have defaulted on implementation What in God's name are you talking about?

And like I said, the rubbish was done in very bad faith. The FG knew the states were gonna be the ones bearing the brunt of the law given that state workers were receiving very low minimum wages (5000 - 8000) and would have their pay increased by over 100%, whereas the FG's workers would have theirs increase by a paltry 5.56% (17000 - 18000)!!! What greater injustice is there to the states than this??

And by the way, do you guys even realise the damn law is being struck out under the current constitution amendment due to its innumerable drawbacks??

Are you anti-workers or pro-workers in this your submission?

How did you arrived at your 20 states defaulting? Which are the states?

Irrespective of the state of mind as the time of passing the bill, a standard have been set, it now depends on each state wish to comply or not to.

Well, I am not aware the constitution amendment is reverting the minimum wages back to 7,000 from its current 18,000 which workers are agitating against already.

GEJ passing the minimum wage bill, was done in good faith to support the Nigerian workers, who toil under heavy burden of Nigeria working condition.

18,000 Naira per month is equal $107 per month gross (Inclusive of taxes and compulsory deduction)

N:B: The minimum wages is a pointer and benchmark to government and private sector employers.

1 Like

Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by nigerianvenom(m): 12:21am On Dec 22, 2014
atlwireles:
I was against this policy in 2011 and I'm still against it today. I have to give it to NOI, for implementing it, without the level of pain and chaos, I feared in 2011.

Why were u against it?
Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by nigerianvenom(m): 12:23am On Dec 22, 2014
Kenai:

It was General Muhammadu Buhari.
Under 1 year, he built 3 refineries, improved electricity from 4,000MW to 68,900MW, stabilized the naira to the point it was trading at 1 naira against 60 dollars, fought corruption by being the plaintiff, the judge and the jury, reduced inflation from 94% to 0.003%, built the statue of liberty, introduced GSM to Nigeria, fixed Humpty-Dumpty, and defeated Satan, Hitler and Chuck Norris.

Sai Buhari!

This got me laughing. He also stabilize world oil price

1 Like

Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by omenka(m): 12:34am On Dec 22, 2014
Firefire:

Are you anti-workers or pro-workers in this your submission?

How did you arrived at your 20 states defaulting? Which are the states?

Irrespective of the state of mind as the time of passing the bill, a standard have been set, it now depends on each state wish to comply or not to.

Well, I am not aware the constitution amendment is reverting the minimum wages back to 7,000 from its current 18,000 which workers are agitating against already.

GEJ passing the minimum wage bill, was done in good faith to support the Nigerian workers, who toil under heavy burden of Nigeria working condition.

18,000 Naira per month is equal $107 per month gross (Inclusive of taxes and compulsory deduction)

N:B: The minimum wages is a pointer and benchmark to government and private sector employers.
@ Bolded 1.

More than two years after it was passed, governors of about 20 states have refused to pay the N18,000 minimum wage. An action which has drawn the irk of various labour unions.
m.allafrica.com/stories/201308130192.html/

@ Bolded 2.

The minimum wage is a LAW and your submission is like saying it is okay to break the law!! Laws are meant to be upheld by governments and they are not supposed to be told that upholding or flouting the is their prerogative!

@Bolded 3.

Saying it is an attempt to truncate the 2015 polls, Nigeria's labour movement has vowed to resist the decision of the Senate to remove the
minimum wage from the Exclusive list to the
concurrent legislative list.

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/minimum-wage-labour-vows-to-resist-removal-from-exclusive-list/192045/
By the way, I didn't say they want to take it back to N7,000. I only said the law was to be removed/amended.

@ Bolded 4.

Absolutely untrue. It wasn't done in good faith. If the president had wanted to do what is right and fair to all civil servants, he should have made the increment based on a percentage and not some fixed figure!! Imagine it were a percentage, FG workers would have been taking home over N24,000 as minimum wage!!! Do you see my point?? Given what he did, states are to pay over 100% increase whereas the FG is to pay a mere 5.56%!! What manner of logic or "good faith" is this??

By the way, I'm am absolutely pro workers. But I'm against such injustices. The states must be allowed to negotiate on their own terms. All states don't receive thesame allocations from the FG and the FG which happens to be the richest of all the levels of govt is the one paying the least increment.
Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by biafranqueen: 12:42am On Dec 22, 2014
Firefire:

Is Lagos State paying the minimum wage

Comrade Alade Basahir Lawal, the Union expressed surprise that the Lagos State Governor who paraded himself as a progressive had continued to wage war against the N18,000 National Minimum Wage approved by the Federal Government in 2011.

http://leadership.ng/news/369055/labour-condemns-fashola-opposition-minimum-wage
Progress indeed!

2 Likes

Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by Firefire(m): 12:55am On Dec 22, 2014
omenka:
@ Bolded 1.

@ Bolded 2.

The minimum wage is a LAW and your submission is like saying it is okay to break the law!! Laws are meant to be upheld by governments and they are not supposed to be told that upholding or flouting the is their prerogative!

@Bolded 3.
By the way, I didn't say they want to take it back to N7,000. I only said the law was to be removed/amended.

@ Bolded 4.

Absolutely untrue. It wasn't done in good faith. If the president had wanted to do what is right and fair to all civil servants, he should have made the increment based on a percentage and not some fixed figure!! Imagine it were a percentage, FG workers would have been taking home over N24,000 as minimum wage!!! Do you see my point?? Given what he did, states are to pay over 100% increase whereas the FG is to pay a mere 5.56%!! What manner of logic or "good faith" is this??

By the way, I'm am absolutely pro workers. But I'm against such injustices. The states must be allowed to negotiate on their own terms. All states don't receive thesame allocations from the FG and the FG which happens to be the richest of all the levels of govt is the one paying the least increment.

1. when you said 20 states have refused to pay, it's different from the reports that says not fully implemented, they are two different meaning.

Well over 20 State Governments have practically
failed to[b] fully implement [/b]the N18,000 National
Minimum Wage for public sector workers nearly
two years after the minimum wage bill was
signed into law.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/poor-implementation-mars-national-minimum-wage/136375

2. FOI Bill passed by GEJ, was it not a law, how many states have domesticate the FOI bill ? Not even the claimed progressive state, rather Fashola approached the court against the domestication.
Lagos States not bound to domesticate FoI law – they would rather made a tailored suit law.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/states-not-bound-to-domesticate-foi-law-lagos-ag/

omenka:

By the way, I'm am absolutely pro workers. But I'm against such injustices. The states must be allowed to negotiate on their own terms. All states don't receive the same allocations from the FG and the FG which happens to be the richest of all the levels of govt is the one paying the least increment.

Looking at the unemployment rate in the country, are you saying there should be no bases of judgment and benchmark for both state and private sector.

The president have passed the bill to law and every state and private sector must ensure compliance.

Message: GEJ increased workers take home by passing the minimum wage bill.

Every other factor(s) is debatable and relative.

E&OE
Re: Please Who Increased Minimum Wage From N7000 To N18,000? by Firefire(m): 1:01am On Dec 22, 2014
biafranqueen:
Progress indeed!

Progressive agitating against 18,000 minimum pay for workers because the president passed the bill against their wish.

Nigeria Workers, don't be too shy to identify who your real enemies are:

see them below:

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG To Spend N3 Billion On Fuel, Generators / Magnificent Jails For Corrupt Officials In China / Attackers Of Security Agents Will Face Justice - Sanwo-Olu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.