Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,784 members, 7,824,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? (7080 Views)

Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? / How Is A Balloon Called In Your Dialect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 6:33pm On Dec 25, 2014
Truckpusher:

Our ancient people had a very good relationship between themselves until the British showed up. angry

They knew their differences and they respected it and they were never interested in dominating each other.

Yea.
Thats another aspect of the divide & rule tactics adopted by the Colonialists at the time.

Truckpusher:
The ogba people of Rivers State - The language is called Egi grin

Wow, nice. This now becomes the 3rd ethnic group in Rivers state that i'v heard of (cos i'v never been to Rivers state so far). Thanks for sharing boss. cool
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by 2prexios: 6:38pm On Dec 25, 2014
cheruv:

I never said that was an Igbo word..mgbati like you and a former poster said it meant when. there's nothing like that in Igbo lingo.
the only thing I said was what I was told, that it meant wrestling talk/shout i.e mgba+ti which means its a union of two desperate meanings.
What can be more desperate than the need to slander others for gain and muse among wise people? It's a virtue to be wise, may wisdom set the desperate free.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by cheruv: 7:08pm On Dec 25, 2014
Truckpusher:
Igbo - Isoma cheesy

Hausa/Fulani - Nde Abakpa grin

Yoruba - Odudu nwa cheesy

Isoma is the name Igbos call people from owerri zone excluding the mbaise nation. some even use it in reference to the ikwerres,ogbas and etches
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by cheruv: 7:13pm On Dec 25, 2014
2prexios:
What can be more desperate than the need to slander others for gain and muse among wise people? It's a virtue to be wise, may wisdom set the desperate free.
and seriously brother I've seen how wise you're undecided ..bia lekwa maagwa gi angry site n'inyo gi naede a hulam na ijizighi okwu!
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by 2prexios: 7:32pm On Dec 25, 2014
cheruv:

and seriously brother I've seen how wise you're undecided ..bia lekwa maagwa gi angry site n'inyo gi naede a hulam na ijizighi okwu!
I appreciate, thanks and you are wise too. My Yoruba at your post i quoted earlier, 'ejo laako kaato koja' means you must learn how to argue or explain issues in your favour before you learn to fight, lest you wont be able to wriggle out of trouble. Thats why Yoruba argues rather than fight, to make room for reconciliation.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Nobody: 12:52am On Dec 26, 2014
cheruv:

the spambot autocorrected the ofe'mmanu stuff I wrote to Yoruba. the names the Yorubas have isn't derogatory but due to how they behave eg
1]ofe'mmanu :this simply means ofe(soup) and mmanu(oil/oily) and this simply means oily soup.this is bkos Yorubas consume a lot of oil when preparing their soups
2]mgbati :this simply means mgba(wrestle) and ti(shout) and this is bkos yolobas shout a lot when talking which gives the impression that they're soon going to fight.. which doesn't happen afterwards undecided
3]akawoo :this simply means to mark or marks and this is due to the tribal marks yolobas are known to carry

that's how those names came about cheesy

Funny though

Most Yorubas would disagree with the mgbati tag. They also attach that stereotype to you.

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Truckpusher(m): 3:51am On Dec 26, 2014
cheruv:

Isoma is the name Igbos call people from owerri zone excluding the mbaise nation. some even use it in reference to the ikwerres,ogbas and etches
Who knows ,it could be true.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by pazienza(m): 8:18am On Dec 26, 2014
Truckpusher:
The ogba people of Rivers State - The language is called Egi grin

Our ancient people had a very good relationship between themselves until the British showed up. angry

They knew their differences and they respected it and they were never interested in dominating each other.

Nnaa, the ancient Ogba kingdom lived in perpetual fear of the Abohs who were hell bent on conquering them, ask your elders, the Abohs were a constant pain in the ass to all around them.

The pre colonial history wasn't that rosy o!

Btw, thought you told me that you are not from Ogba, nawa for you o!
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Truckpusher(m): 8:25am On Dec 26, 2014
pazienza:

Nnaa, the ancient Ogba kingdom lived in perpetual fear of the Abohs who were hell bent on conquering them, ask your elders, the Abohs were a constant pain in the ass to all around them.

The pre colonial history wasn't that rosy o!

Btw, thought you told me that you are not from Ogba, nawa for you o!
You're getting it twisted though partially true to a large extent.

Your question was on a wrong thread ,wrong timing and of course considering our history I'm a bit skeptical about what you represent though there is room for a change. cheesy
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by pazienza(m): 8:36am On Dec 26, 2014
Truckpusher:

Your question was on a wrong thread ,wrong timing and of course considering our history I'm a bit skeptical about what you represent though there is room for a change. cheesy

A leopard never change it's spots.

I represent unity peace and love for all who say "Bia" for come, and "Eze" for king, aka, the Igbo speaking people.

You and hopeathand are so difficult, and you both often misunderstand me.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Truckpusher(m): 8:49am On Dec 26, 2014
pazienza:

A leopard never change it's spots.

I represent unity peace and love for all who say "Bia" for God, and "Eze" for king, aka, the Igbo speaking people.

You and hopeathand are so difficult, and you both often misunderstand me.
I'm not a difficult person but I have this dislike for ethnic supremacists especially even to other ethnic minority that shares a lot with them. cheesy

Mbiri ka mbiri is where I stand. grin

Who's hopeathand?

Hey! we are one but we need to first disabuse our minds of our ugly and shameful history/past that were mostly told by a bitter set of people from both side of the divide, but when youths like you and some other folks subscribes to such concocted lies and propaganda then one would certainly need to do some soul searching before embarking on a journey of searching for a long lost relative who might be more of a threat than provide the companion and friendship you yearn for.Never the less we are just one people with one destiny. grin

I still dey the game wink
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by 2prexios: 9:05am On Dec 26, 2014
Truckpusher:
I'm not a difficult person but I have this dislike for ethnic supremacists especially even to other ethnic minority that shares a lot with them. cheesy

Who's hopeathand?

Hey! we are one but we need to first disabuse our minds of our ugly and shameful history/past that were mostly told by a bitter set of people from both side of the divide, but when youths like you and some other folks subscribes to such concocted lies and propaganda then one would certainly need to do some soul searching before embarking on a journey of searching for a long lost relative who might be more of a threat than provide the companion and friendship you yearn for.Never the less we are just one people with one destiny. grin

Very impressive post.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by pazienza(m): 9:14am On Dec 26, 2014
Truckpusher:

Who's hopeathand?

No one in SE holds any grudge over any Igbo speaking group outside the SE. Nzeogwu the originator of the "Igbo coup", is not from the SE yet you don't see any body in the SE deny him or his Anioma people, instead we insist they are Ndiigbo when we could easily deny them.

Yes, we are one people, regardless of how we want to see each other.

I found it interesting that the eldest man in an Ogba town royal family goes by the surname "Igbokwe", it shows that not all in Ogba has given up hope on Igbo unity.

Hopeathand is an Ikwerre brother.

http://www.thetidenewsonline.com/2014/07/25/egwu-ogba-kicks-off-with-cultural-festivities/
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Truckpusher(m): 9:22am On Dec 26, 2014
pazienza:

No one in SE holds any grudge over any Igbo speaking group outside the SE. Nzeogwu the originator of the "Igbo coup", is not from the SE yet you don't see any body in the SE deny him or his Anioma people, instead we insist they are Ndiigbo when we could easily deny them.

Yes, we are one people, regardless of how we want to see each other.

I found it interesting that the eldest man in an Ogba town goes by the surname "Igbokwe", it shows that not all in Ogba has given up hope on Igbo unity.

Hopeathand is an Ikwerres brother.
You're beginning to lie now and it makes it more difficult.Whatever ,lessons have been learnt what is now needed is mutual respect and transparency for everyone to understand that we can't move forward by continuously being a divided people.

Igbokwe,yes we have all that name and I proudly bear one. tongue

We shall overcome when we begin to think beyond self gratification and tribal superiority instead see ourselves as a people kept down against their wish and must achieve self determination
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by pazienza(m): 9:48am On Dec 26, 2014
Truckpusher:
You're beginning to lie now and it makes it more difficult.Whatever ,lessons have been learnt what is now needed is mutual respect and transparency for everyone to understand that we can't move forward by continuously being a divided people.

Igbokwe,yes we have all that name and I proudly bear one. tongue

We shall overcome when we begin to think beyond self gratification and tribal superiority instead see ourselves as a people kept down against their wish and must achieve self determination

Would have liked to make somethings clear, but I don't want to derail this thread any further. Happy boxing day bro.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by HopeAtHand: 9:49am On Dec 26, 2014
Pazienza so u had to invite me down to this thread as if u are unaware that the Ikwerres call the Igbos ISOMA.

Ikwerre words are somehow annoying close to Igbo words.

Because the Igbos travel alot to far lands to mix with people, im postulating that all shared words between us were words Igbos borrowed from Ikwerres.

Makes perfect sense.

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Truckpusher(m): 9:56am On Dec 26, 2014
pazienza:

Would have liked to make somethings clear, but I don't want to derail this thread any further. Happy boxing day bro.
Yeah.
Happy boxing day - We should just keep it for another day.

Enjoy cheesy
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Truckpusher(m): 9:57am On Dec 26, 2014
HopeAtHand:
Pazienza so u had to invite me down to this thread as if u are unaware that the Ikwerres call the Igbos ISOMA.

Because the Igbos travel alot to far lands to mix with people, im postulating that all shared words between us were words Igbos borrowed from Ikwerres.

Makes perfect sense.
Don't you think it's high time we go beyond these back and forth arguments to enable generations forge a united front?

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by christopher123(m): 9:58am On Dec 26, 2014
HopeAtHand:

Makes perfect sense.

Owerri people call non natives isoma including ikwerre

Alhambra call
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by pazienza(m): 10:00am On Dec 26, 2014
HopeAtHand:

Makes perfect sense.

Haha! Nice attempt at ruffling my feathers. Happy Boxing day bro.

Ikwerres called their Owerri brothers Isoma, my Idemili ancestors never knew of the existence of Ikwerres anymore than they knew of the Ehugbos(Afikpo people).
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by cheruv: 10:47am On Dec 26, 2014
HopeAtHand:

Makes perfect sense.
there's nothing sensible about what you wrote.. just like saying that Chinese borrowed heavily from Korean or Japanese,when we know the reverse is the case.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 10:49am On Dec 26, 2014
Truckpusher:

HopeAtHand:

Makes perfect sense.

christopher123:

Owerri people call non natives isoma including ikwerre

Alhambra call

pazienza:

Haha! Nice attempt at ruffling my feathers. Happy Boxing day bro.
Ikwerres called their Owerri brothers Isoma, my Idemili ancestors never knew of the existence of Ikwerres anymore than they knew of the Ehugbos(Afikpo people).

Guys, its really common to find the natives of different tribes (esp. those that share territorial boundary with one another) using/speaking certain similar words as a part of their respective local languages.

That was why i stated (earlier on this thread) the following:

limamintruth:

Most of our indigenous languages are kinda inter-woven. So its very common to hear two or more dialects with so many similar words in their local languages. cool

So no need arguing about this issue further so that we wont derail the thread pls.

Will expect more insightful contributions from fellow nairalanders.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by WORLDPEACE(m): 12:47pm On Dec 26, 2014
Truckpusher:
Don't you think it's high time we go beyond these back and forth arguments to enable generations forge a united front?
Don't you people think you are messing up a thread that's suppose to be fun and informative? No one is interested in your tribal rivalries. The thread was fun until you came with your mu.mu tribal arguments. Let go of your feminine emotions and stick with the subject under consideration.

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Truckpusher(m): 12:53pm On Dec 26, 2014
WORLDPEACE:

Don't you people think you are messing up a thread that's suppose to be fun and informative? No one is interested in your tribal rivalries. The thread was fun until you came with your mu.mu tribal arguments. Let go of your feminine emotions and stick with the subject under consideration.
angry

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by WORLDPEACE(m): 1:00pm On Dec 26, 2014
Yorubas call

Urhobo- Isobo
Nupe- Tapa
Ijaws - Ijon ( my particular Yoruba dialect not all)
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by 2prexios: 1:03pm On Dec 26, 2014
Truckpusher:
Yeah.
Happy boxing day - We should just keep it for another day.

Enjoy cheesy
Good moves, onto the Odudu nwa stuff, is it a freestyle thing of yours or a term that has always been in the language? For instance, the Igbos will say 'odudunwa bu eze' and that's natural in their language. What circumstance created Odudu nwa as Yoruba identity with your beautiful people?
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Truckpusher(m): 1:16pm On Dec 26, 2014
2prexios:
Good moves, onto the Odudu nwa stuff, is it a freestyle thing of yours or a term that has always been in the language? For instance, the Igbos will say 'odudunwa bu eze' and that's natural in their language. What circumstance created Odudu nwa as Yoruba identity with your beautiful people?
I think they got it from other neighboring tribes and ethnic group and then related it to their own language.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by 2prexios: 2:23pm On Dec 26, 2014
Truckpusher:
I think they got it from other neighboring tribes and ethnic group and then related it to their own language.
Is the term commonly used by the youth or the oldest generation? I'm only trying to peruse the usage, maybe it sprang from self determination spirit that spread across southern Nigeria at the wake of the civil war, or from political dynamics of pre-independence, where Awo created egbe omo oduduwa b4 60s. I believe you can handle this, thanks.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Truckpusher(m): 2:26pm On Dec 26, 2014
2prexios:
Is the term commonly used by the youth or the oldest generation? I'm only trying to peruse the usage, maybe it sprang from self determination spirit that spread across southern Nigeria at the wake of the civil war, or from political dynamics of pre-independence, where Awo created egbe omo oduduwa b4 60s. I believe you can handle this, thanks.
It came from the oldest generation.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by 2prexios: 2:50pm On Dec 26, 2014
Truckpusher:
It came from the oldest generation.
Thanks, just want to be sure its not modern area code. To some on this platform, oduduwa was an allusion and not real, because they were clueless as to the name. But if Yoruba were known as that, it means that in prehistoric time some in Yoruba neighbourhood reckon with the historicity of an ancient empire builder. Yoruba favours city~state names as their identity, common name decayed a long while ago, perhaps after inception.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by WORLDPEACE(m): 5:02pm On Dec 26, 2014
2prexios:
Thanks, just want to be sure its not modern area code. To some on this platform, oduduwa was an allusion and not real, because they were clueless as to the name. But if Yoruba were known as that, it means that in prehistoric time some in Yoruba neighbourhood reckon with the historicity of an ancient empire builder. Yoruba favours city~state names as their identity, common name decayed a long while ago, perhaps after inception.

'Yoruba' as a common name for the people who have linguistic cultural and historical affinity is a recent development. In my own opinion based on research, it is a 19th century invention. The first group who were referred to as Yorubas were the Oyo by the Hausas. The Oyo people who inhabited an area geographically closer to them than other Yoruba groups who lived in the forest regions. Other groups identified themselves with the names by which their Yoruba neighbours knew them. There were the Ijebus, Ekiti, Egba, Ijesha and so on. This groups mostly believed in a common origin of migrating from Ife. Although there were groups who believd they originated from Benin. But the name has not always applied to all the groups that now now bear that name.

My point is that it is often outsiders that see the similarities among different groups and give them or solidify their common identity. The Anglo Saxons were given that name by a visiting Bishop who thought they behaved like angels. Ethiopeans were named such by the Greeks, Ethiopia meaning 'region of the burnt faces' because of their darker skin complexion to the greeks. The ancient kingdom of Ghana was named Ghana by the Arab writers who applied the title of the kingdom's ruler to the entire people. Everywhere, if you make your research, this is often the case. Just like the Op did not name himself.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 5:52pm On Dec 26, 2014
WORLDPEACE:
Yorubas call

Urhobo- Isobo
Nupe- Tapa
Ijaws - Ijon ( my particular Yoruba dialect not all)

Interesting. cool

So there exist disparity in language even within the yoruba ethnic group right? Same with the hausa lang. too. smiley

Which specific yoruba dialect do you speak @worldpeace?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tall People Thread / Ogun Ti Afi Nri Owo Ni Irorun / The Earth Is FLAT. Discuss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.