Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,047 members, 7,825,341 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? (44351 Views)

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? / Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Capableben(m): 12:45am On Nov 27, 2013
One hardly sees an ibo man succumb to marrying a lady from a contrasting origin.
The few that end up marrying ladies from other tribes are always scolded at or not given much support.. Why is this so Is it culturally inclined? maybe other ladies are not as good as good as igbo ladies

Give me answers!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Mynd44: 5:44am On Nov 27, 2013
Interesting

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Tapout(m): 7:38am On Nov 27, 2013
Maybe b'cos once married, igbo women remain faithful 2 d end

78 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Afam4eva(m): 12:45pm On Nov 27, 2013
And what about the Igbo ladies that marry from outside their tribe? Though i'll agree that an Igbo lady is more likely to marry out than an Igbo guy. But there are Igbo guys that have married from outside their enclave but they mostly marry from the eastern axis.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Dannylux: 1:12pm On Nov 27, 2013
They believe Igbo women are better than women from other tribes and likewise their kinsmen believe this too.

So, when you marry from any tribe not igbo you'd be considered to be someone deviating from the Normal way things should be done hence the scolding.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by HopeAtHand: 1:53pm On Nov 27, 2013
Zed.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 27, 2013
an Igbo lady will not like to marry from another tribe.
Usu igbos grow up to think they need to marry from within, such that even if a guy works in niger republic, he must come back home when he is ready for marriage.
thats y xmas and easter are not just festive seasons in d east but times to check out them babes.
Mere interstate marriage is some news in my hometown not to talk of inter tribe.
Most inter tribal marriages involving an Igbo occurred/occurs due to some strong chance, say due to pre marital pregnancy or prolonged living in a non eastern location where friendship ties might be built with non igbos, these 2 factors affect the females more.

25 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Psychedelia(m): 1:53pm On Nov 28, 2013
I think it comes mainly from understanding, as well as a desire to keep the traditional family structure going - not because "the women from other tribes are not as beautiful, clean, faithful or skilled at cooking" as some people on this thread would say.
The belief in some parts of Igboland, is that it's a lot wiser marrying from a family that understands yours, because in times of fights, misunderstanding and tension between you and your wife, your extended families can step in, hold a general family meeting and resolve the issue; thereby ensuring a longer and fulfilling marriage. So, when you see Igbo men marrying out, it's mostly Efik, Ibibio, Ekoi and the other Eastern tribes. My home state of Abia has a lot of grey areas, because a lot of people there are products of Igbo-Ibibio unions.
But I do have to stress, this belief does not apply to everyone - myself for example. During my teen days, I did date an Ekiti Yoruba girl... Muslim for that matter shocked -- Shocking, aye? grin
Not really. Her tribe was barely an issue; but she was quite a hard sell to my mom because of her religion. Over time, though, people just learned to let it be and get with the program, dude.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Nov 28, 2013
cos our girls are well compose and most especially beautiful . But if e dey pain you, put your head for otula Okuko .

16 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by bluerange(f): 1:53pm On Nov 28, 2013
hmmm....that mostly those not apply to igbos born and raised outside igboland. how many igbo people whey dey born for Lagos married igbos? even an only son dey marry from anywhere!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by MillionDollars: 1:53pm On Nov 28, 2013
cos dey dnt want dier money to go outside

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by surplusspending(m): 1:54pm On Nov 28, 2013
nice topic...I also need a reasonable answer
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Nov 28, 2013
Capableben: One hardly sees an ibo man succumb to marrying a lady from a contrasting origin.
The few that end up marrying ladies from other tribes are always scolded at or not given much support.. Why is this so Is it culturally inclined? maybe other ladies are not as good as good as igbo ladies

Give me answers!
I'm Igbo... and i agree with you. It's very bad.... But anyway, if the man really likes the woman, let relatives not deter him from marriage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by stonebridge: 1:54pm On Nov 28, 2013
Who is scolding pSquare for marrying a Yoruba woman?. Who is scolding Emeka anyaoku for marrying a Yoruba woman?. Is Gowin Okpara not married to a Yoruba woman?.Ike Nwachukwu married Yoruba and he is no less Igbo than others. There are thousands of Igbo men married to women from western Nigeria, the statistics is low with northerners mainly because of religious issues.
Even John Amechi is trying to get married married to a gay Yoruba man.

23 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by zubby29(m): 1:55pm On Nov 28, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin
MillionDollars: cos dey dnt want dier money to go outside
MillionDollars: cos dey dnt want dier money to go outside
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by imsuboi(m): 1:56pm On Nov 28, 2013
dumb question undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by agadez007(m): 1:56pm On Nov 28, 2013
why do every ''why do igbos blah blah .......'' threads make frontpage but millions of other tribes thread are littered everywhere in the backpage?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 28, 2013
My uncle is married to a mixed race lady half calabar/half Turk....the only dish my sister-in-law knows how to prepare is noodles tongue when ever we speak our language around her she feels we gossiping about her shocked, she doesn't respect angry she's beautiful tho.... undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by zubby29(m): 1:57pm On Nov 28, 2013
@ngozi u are so on point but its high time we break away from that circle.if i hcan i will want to marry anoda tribe
ngozievergreen: an Igbo lady will not like to marry from another tribe.
Usu igbos grow up to think they need to marry from within, such that even if a guy works in niger republic, he must come back home when he is ready for marriage.
thats y xmas and easter are not just festive seasons in d east but times to check out them babes.
Mere interstate marriage is some news in my hometown not to talk of inter tribe.
Most inter tribal marriages involving an Igbo occurred/occurs due to some strong chance, say due to pre marital pregnancy or prolonged living in a non eastern location where friendship ties might be built with non igbos, these 2 factors affect the females more.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Nov 28, 2013
Igbo men can be so driven by Love that whatever their wife says or want, he follows!

So instead another tribe will make their man a slave, let an Igbo woman do so!
*dodges stones* *dodges sticks* *picks race* tongue

#TeamGOM

22 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 28, 2013
Only dir tribe can collect dir tin + can give dem. www.nairaland.com/1533496/funny-facts-tasued-students
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by tbagjames(m): 1:59pm On Nov 28, 2013
Am dating an igbo gal,mehn,those gals have character,but i know when time comes to take that bold step,her father's cutlass will be the last resort

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by paulchucks: 2:00pm On Nov 28, 2013
@op there is nothing wrong with that even Abraham told Isaac to marry from his clan but I most tell you I am Igbo I have a lot of my friends that married Yoruba and edo and ladies frm other tribes but majority prefer Igbo ladies
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by jmoore(m): 2:01pm On Nov 28, 2013
It is a choice not a cultural thing.

I am igbo and I can marry from anywhere.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by sonofanarchy(m): 2:01pm On Nov 28, 2013
Some one is watching ooh....e-gladiators get ready for ban

18 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 28, 2013
Tapout: Maybe b'cos once married, igbo women remain faithful 2 d end
and women from other tribes don't remain faithful to the end? undecided

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Obiagu1(m): 2:02pm On Nov 28, 2013
zubby29: @ngozi u are so on point but its high time we break away from that circle.if i hcan i will want to marry anoda tribe

Marry at your own risk...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 28, 2013
Capableben: One hardly sees an ibo man succumb to marrying a lady from a contrasting origin.

Give me answers!

You should have ask peter of PSQUARE and ELENO this question or OBJ's grand son undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Causes A Stir With His Exotic Ride During Visit In Osun State. PICS / The Official Ukwuani Thread: Ukwuani Bu Ani Eze / Ado Bayero’s Son Set To Wed,Checkout His Lovely Pre-wedding Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.