Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,767 members, 7,817,115 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? (7041 Views)

Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? / How Is A Balloon Called In Your Dialect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by WORLDPEACE(m): 6:24pm On Dec 26, 2014
limamintruth:

Interesting. cool

So there exist disparity in language even within the yoruba ethnic group right? Same with the hausa lang. too. smiley

Which specific yoruba dialect do you speak @worldpeace?
My dialect is Ilaje and we are found in southern Ondo state. . There
are numerous dialects of Yoruba spoken in Ondo
state (Akoko, Akure, Apoi, Idanre, Ikale, Ilaje,
Ondo and the Owo etc)
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 6:29pm On Dec 26, 2014
WORLDPEACE:

My dialect is Ilaje and we are found in southern Ondo state. . There
are numerous dialects of Yoruba spoken in Ondo
state (Akoko, Akure, Apoi, Idanre, Ijaw, Ikale, Ilaje,
Ondo and the Owo etc)

Thats good to know.
Here, the disparity in the local hausa dialect is somewot mainly an inter-state thing (& not intra-state). E.g the kind of hausa being spoken by the people of kano varies a bit from the one being spoken by the people of sokoto.

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by WORLDPEACE(m): 6:54pm On Dec 26, 2014
limamintruth:

Thats good to know.
Here, the disparity in the local hausa dialect is somewot mainly an inter-state thing (& not intra-state). E.g the kind of hausa being spoken by the people of kano varies a bit from the one being spoken by the people of sokoto.
Most people who are not from Ondo or even Ondo state people who did not grow up there can't differentiate one dialect from the other. I think ondo state has the highest number of Yoruba dialects.
The Ijebus are found in both Ogun and Lagos state while there are still the Remo, Egba, and other groups sharing Ogun with them. But most Yorubas( not all) are able to speak a common general Yoruba lingual franca which is more Oyo in composition than any other Yoruba dialect.

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 7:35pm On Dec 26, 2014
WORLDPEACE:

Most people who are not from Ondo or even Ondo state people who did not grow up there can't differentiate one dialect from the other. I think ondo state has the highest number of Yoruba dialects.
The Ijebus are found in both Ogun and Lagos state while there are still the Remo, Egba, and other groups sharing Ogun with them. But most Yorubas( not all) are able to speak a common general Yoruba lingual franca which is more Oyo in composition than any other Yoruba dialect.

wow, nice.
There's really so much to learn about our diverse local languages. Tnx for the info.

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Evestar200(f): 8:34pm On Dec 26, 2014
In Urhobo we call the ijaw_eweren, the Edo pple _ aka, the itsekiri_irobo and d yorubas_iyoroba

2 Likes

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 9:40pm On Dec 26, 2014
Evestar200:

and d yorubas_iyoroba

Now this 'iyoroba' made me laff

Interesting contributn i must say. Nice1

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by 2prexios: 9:46pm On Dec 26, 2014
My point is that it is often outsiders that
see the similarities among different groups
and give them or solidify their common
identity. The Anglo Saxons were given that
name by a visiting Bishop who thought
they behaved like angels. Ethiopeans were named such by the Greeks, Ethiopia
meaning 'region of the burnt faces'
because of their darker skin complexion to
the greeks. The ancient kingdom of Ghana
was named Ghana by the Arab writers who
applied the title of the kingdom's ruler to the entire people. Everywhere, if you
make your research, this is often the case.
Just like the Op did not name himself.
I am strong, couldnt do much now, your post is very insightful brother. May God bless we all.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Nobody: 7:20am On Dec 27, 2014
Igbo: omo ibo, omo y.ibo, omo y.eebo, aje okuta mamo mi(those that eat stone without drinking water)
, awon Ara Igbo (people from the forest), awon olori pelebe(people with flat head).

Nupe: tapa

Ebira: Egbira

Badagry: egun, eyi ma ton pon

Urhobo: Sobo, urhobo wayo wayo grin

Hausa,tiv, Fulani: malla, gambari

Edo: Bini

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by limamintruth: 9:44am On Dec 27, 2014
saxywale:

Igbo: aje okuta mamo mi(those that eat stone without drinking water)
, awon Ara Igbo (people from the forest), awon olori pelebe(people with flat head).

This is quite funny ooo grin

saxywale:

Hausa,tiv, Fulani: malla, gambari

Yea i'v personally been referred to as 'gambari' a few times while in Lagos.
Tho i kinda like the name sef, lol cheesy

[viewers' contributions are all welcome cool ]

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Evestar200(f): 10:17pm On Jan 09, 2015
limamintruth:

Now this 'iyoroba' made me laff

Interesting contributn i must say. Nice1
thats how we call them

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Nobody: 12:36am On Jan 12, 2015
Truckpusher:
Igbo - Isoma cheesy

Hausa/Fulani - Nde Abakpa grin

Yoruba - Odudu nwa cheesy

For the Anioma:

The Yoruba are known as ndi abakpa; is possible that you are confusing this with Hausa in Ogba because ogba is an offshoot of Anioma. As some one mentioned previously Aboh had much to do with ogba.

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Truckpusher(m): 8:34am On Jan 12, 2015
omonuan:

For the Anioma:

The Yoruba are known as ndi abakpa; is possible that you are confusing this with Hausa in Ogba because ogba is an offshoot of Anioma. As some one mentioned previously Aboh had much to do with ogba.
The progenitor of the Ogba kingdom was a Bini Prince and warrior who had two wives ,one Bini(Edo) and the other one from Ika Igbo people and when he left the Benin kingdom sometime around the 14th century he migrated to another place in Imo State where they continued migrating southward and decided to settle along the fertile land of the orashi region.
Ogba wasn't a direct offshoot of Anioma but due to their migration into south east the language,name and culture became influenced making it to share a lot of lingual characteristics with the Igbo people.

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by pazienza(m): 6:02pm On Jan 12, 2015
Truckpusher:
The progenitor of the Ogba kingdom was a Bini Prince and warrior who had two wives ,one Bini(Edo) and the other one from Ika Igbo people and when he left the Benin kingdom sometime around the 14th century he migrated to another place in Imo State where they continued migrating southward and decided to settle along the fertile land of the orashi region.
Ogba wasn't a direct offshoot of Anioma but due to their migration into south east the language,name and culture became influenced making it to share a lot of lingual characteristics with the Igbo people.

Nnaa, so as educated as you are,you believe that a Bini king would give his son(prince), an Igbo name Akalaka?

Where exactly is the place of reason and logic in all these Bini migration stories?

Ogba doesn't share lingual xtics of "Igbo people", Ogba is essentially an Igbo dialect.

3 Likes

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Truckpusher(m): 7:11pm On Jan 12, 2015
pazienza:

Nnaa, so as educated as you are,you believe that a Bini king would give his son(prince), an Igbo name Akalaka?

Where exactly is the place of reason and logic in all these Bini migration stories?

Ogba doesn't share lingual xtics of "Igbo people", Ogba is essentially an Igbo dialect.
This your total disrespect for the indigenous people of River State has caused lots of mistrust and bad blood among us ,yet here you are taking it to another level.

You have no right or whatsoever to tell a people whom they want to identify themselves with and you have no moral standing to rewrite our history to suit your political ambitions.

Keep off your land grabbing attitude off from our land else you'll tell another story of woes.

Ogba people are not Igbos and will never be one.PERIOD

Biri ka mmu biri, isn't what you chant in your dialect when you want to be left alone and live your life a free man?

1 Like

Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by pazienza(m): 7:40pm On Jan 12, 2015
Truckpusher:
This your total disrespect for the indigenous people of River State has caused lots of mistrust and bad blood among us ,yet here you are taking it to another level.

You have no right or whatsoever to tell a people whom they want to identify themselves with and you have no moral standing to rewrite our history to suit your political ambitions.

Keep off your land grabbing attitude off from our land else you'll tell another story of woes.

Ogba people are not Igbos and will never be one.PERIOD

Biri ka mmu biri, isn't what you chant in your dialect when you want to be left alone and live your life a free man?

Lol!

You are yet to answer my question.
Why would a Bini king give his prince an Igbo name?
Answer that question and stop this your emotional outburst.
Re: What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? by Nobody: 2:39am On Jan 14, 2015
Truckpusher:

I have heard this fairy tale before. The name of this Bini man is of course Akalaka. By the way what does Akalaka mean in Bini? And does it it have any Igbo meaning like destiny? By the way, I have actually heard your "Oba" chukwuemela Obi say that Ogba is an offshoot of Anioma. May be you should go ask him. Why do you always think the Igbo are land grabbing by extending hands of kinship to you?

If you think Ogba is better than Anioma, then you must think again. The technocrats and captains of banking and industry from Anioma would make Ogba green with envy. The Anioma nay Igbo people do not need Ogba per se. Tell me which group has more proximity and historical links to the Bini; Anioma or Ogba?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Want Someone To Teach Me American Accent / See The Real Reasons Why Nigerian Women Wear Waist Beads ( Photos) / Darapo Mo Egbe Omo Yoruba Atata (odua) Lori Fesibukuu?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.