Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:36 AM

Research: Why People Jubilated When Buhari Was Overthrown - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Research: Why People Jubilated When Buhari Was Overthrown (3388 Views)

Throwback Pic Of Gowon & Idi Amin In Uganda In 1975,The Day Gowon Was Overthrown / Gowon With Idi Amin In Uganda, The Same Day He Was Overthrown In Nigeria (pic) / Photo: When Buhari Finishes With Nepa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Research: Why People Jubilated When Buhari Was Overthrown by psquaret: 12:20am On Dec 23, 2014
melvinjames:
[size=15pt]Why People Jubilated When Buhari Was Overthrown[/size]

Have you always wondered (ask your dad) why people jubilated when Buhari was overthrown in 1985?
No need to wonder any more, these are some of the reasons people went on the streets after his removal. It took pains for me to research so we can catalogue and list the real reasons he was overthrown. Am sure this would help people my age group who were too young or were not born then.

Here are my findings

[size=15pt]1.[/size]Soured Nigeria’s relations with Britain and neighbouring countries by ordering the brutal expulsion of 700,000 West African immigrants

[size=15pt]2.[/size]Summarily dismissed 30,000 soldiers who were mainly Southerners and Middle beltans but left Lt.Col Mohammed Aliyu Gusau intact when he knew Aliyu was operating an import license scam.

[size=15pt]3.[/size]Abuse of human rights:------- It was so bad that the Nigerian Bar Association stopped their lawyers from participating in the charade dubbed "the Nuremberg tribunals". Once you're summoned to the tribunal, consider yourself a prisoner.

[size=15pt]4.[/size]Buhari promulgated Decree 4 on his first day in the job as head of state. It basically means you criticize the government you go to prison, end of story.

[size=15pt]5.[/size]All the the senior positions in the SMC were occupied by northern Muslims (SMC is like present day senate and HOR)

[size=15pt]6.[/size]Decree 2 of 1984 (Detention of Persons Decree).....It basically allows the president to arrest anybody it wants.

[size=15pt]7.[/size]Economy-----Insurmountable economic problems plagued the Buhari regime as petroleum prices collapsed in the face of expanding foreign debt. Buhari instituted austerity measures that caused severe hardship to the average Nigerian. In addition, political corruption continued unabated, with politicians escaping to Western countries with millions of dollars in government money. From Encyclopaedia Britannica

[size=15pt]8.[/size]Rigidity----- Does not listen to other opinions hence Babangida said this when he overthrew Buhari: Major-General Muhammadu Buhari was too rigid and uncompromising in his attitudes to issues of national significance.

[size=15pt]9.[/size]Jailing of opponents or perceived enemies. Sam Mbakwe 100-year jail, Ambrose Ali 75yrs, Lateef Jakande 100yrs and Pa Ajasin. Pa Adekunle Ajasin was tried, found innocent, tried again and still found innocent, and Buhari just decided enough was enough and jailed him anyhow. But curiously his friend Awwal Ibrahim – the highly corrupt governor of Niger State who was arrested at Heathrow airport with £14 million was only placed under house arrest.,

The End
[size=15pt]10.[/size] 20months after taking power, Nigerians and the military had grown tired and impatient with his dictatorship and the rest is history as they say.
After watching the evening news with people he thought were his friends, Majors Dangiwa Umar, Lawan Gwadabe, Abdulmumuni Aminu and Sambo Dasuki rose and pulled their pistols. One of them said: Major-General Muhammadu Buhari, on behalf of the Nigerian people, I hereby declare you arrested for crimes against the Nigerian people.

In conclusion, Buhari had lots of good policies and came with good intention but his downfall was intransigence. Not listening to other people's opinion in a diverse nation like Nigeria, he was not a unifier.

How Much way them pay? Come make I double am.for you since your brian thet your hand
Re: Research: Why People Jubilated When Buhari Was Overthrown by Sibabasibaba1: 12:23am On Dec 23, 2014
Eziachi:

Never mind New York times, this is a fact a nursery school pupil in Nigeria should know. It was Shagari's govt that deported the migrants mainly Ghana nationals.

-------

You never cease to amaze me. People jubilated when Buhari was overthrown. At least the press (journalists) did. You said Abiola was a crook. I hope you also know of the "this is a fact a nursery school pupil in Nigeria should know" that the same Abiola was one of the civilians who invited the army to topple Shagari's government because of how NPN frustrated his efforts at 'buying' Nigeria's presidency.

Why shouldn't he mind New York Times? Because the link burst your lies? Buhari expelled foreigners from Nigeria. Fact. Your argument should be whether the foreigners were legitimately expelled or not. It is such true lies of Buhari supporters that make me detest their character.
Re: Research: Why People Jubilated When Buhari Was Overthrown by Eziachi: 1:43am On Dec 23, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:

--

You never cease to amaze me. People jubilated when Buhari was overthrown. At least the press (journalists) did. You said Abiola was a crook. I hope you also know of the "this is a fact a nursery school pupil in Nigeria should know" that the same Abiola was one of the civilians who invited the army to topple Shagari's government because of how NPN frustrated his efforts at 'buying' Nigeria's presidency.
If you been reading what I had been saying, then you should not be asking about the above. How many times did I say to you about the role Abiola played in the overthrow of Shagari's government after they told him, the presidency wasn't for sale? So what is your point?

Why shouldn't he mind New York Times? Because the link burst your lies? Buhari expelled foreigners from Nigeria. Fact. Your argument should be whether the foreigners were legitimately expelled or not. It is such true lies of Buhari supporters that make me detest their character.
Why should he mind New York Times? What happens to Nigeria daily Times, Tribune, Chronicles, Champion or Standard+?
So when an American wanted an authentic history of his country, his first port of call would be quoting an article (not a news report) written inside Vanguard Nigeria?
Am telling you what many of us lived with when it happens and you are quoting New York Times to me.
I don't even get this argument of Buhari expelling illegal immigrants. When does that became a bad thing for any government to do, when civilized society like Britain runs a detention centre for illegal immigrants?
I still don't see the merits of this illegal immigrants saga now or you guys has nothing else negative to say about Buhari, and you decided to invent a non event to keep fire burning?

1 Like

Re: Research: Why People Jubilated When Buhari Was Overthrown by Sibabasibaba1: 3:10am On Dec 23, 2014
Eziachi:

If you been reading what I had been saying, then you should not be asking about the above. How many times did I say to you about the role Abiola played in the overthrow of Shagari's government after they told him, the presidency wasn't for sale? So what is your point?

Why should he mind New York Times? What happens to Nigeria daily Times, Tribune, Chronicles, Champion or Standard+?
So when an American wanted an authentic history of his country, his first port of call would be quoting an article (not a news report) written inside Vanguard Nigeria?
Am telling you what many of us lived with when it happens and you are quoting New York Times to me.
I don't even get this argument of Buhari expelling illegal immigrants. When does that became a bad thing for any government to do, when civilized society like Britain runs a detention centre for illegal immigrants?
I still don't see the merits of this illegal immigrants saga now or you guys has nothing else negative to say about Buhari, and you decided to invent a non event to keep fire burning?

------------

Are you the only person who lived through the period? You first told the guy you responded to that it was only crooks that celebrated Buhari's ouster even when the press and all those who wanted the rule of law to prevail in Nigeria celebrated it. I saw it myself. Shagari expelled immigrants. Buhari expelled immigrants too. That's a fact. You disputed the fact earlier. Saying "When does that became a bad thing for any government to do, when civilized society like Britain runs a detention centre for illegal immigrants?" is an afterthought. So New York Times becomes authoritative only when it suites your argument. SMH.

All you guys do here is to attempt to cannonize a dictator who promulgated a decree making it a crime for journalists to report anything that embarrasses the government, including corruption. Buhari's regime was a sour point in our history. That regime arrested our development and set the chain reaction that led to our current woes. You can only whitewash the regime for those who were born after that time. For us who saw the regime, it was a mess. Never again!
Re: Research: Why People Jubilated When Buhari Was Overthrown by pafosmith10(m): 10:51am On Feb 11, 2020
There was a sense of dejavu while reading that IBB's speech again, especially the first and second paragraph. I guess history does repeat itself.

1 Like

Re: Research: Why People Jubilated When Buhari Was Overthrown by GamalNasser: 11:01am On Feb 11, 2020
So many truths where out there and Nigerians still opted to vote in this failure
Re: Research: Why People Jubilated When Buhari Was Overthrown by MagicBishop: 2:51pm On Oct 21, 2020
Zombies do not have any excuse to be shocked as we warned you about this man buhari but you refused to pay any heed.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do Nigerians Deserve An Occultic (ogboni) President For 4 Years? / Stable Supply Of Electricity: See This Guy's Concern / LIVE! God Has Revealed To Fr Mbaka Nig 'll Break Up, Nobody Can Stop It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.