Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,588 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

'poorest' President's Offered $1m For His Volskwagen Beetle Car - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'poorest' President's Offered $1m For His Volskwagen Beetle Car (860 Views)

Ekiti Lawmakers 'offered' $1m To Remove Fayose / EFCC Arrests Lara Amosu, Recovers $1m In Soakaway Pit / Jonathan Spent $1M For Beyonce And Jay Z's Visit To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'poorest' President's Offered $1m For His Volskwagen Beetle Car by fkaz(m): 5:54pm On Dec 24, 2014
Uruguay's President Jose Mujica says he has been offered $1m (£630,000) for his vintage Volkswagen Beetle.

Mr Mujica, once dubbed "the poorest president in the world" because of his modest lifestyle, said the offer had come from an Arab sheikh.

He told the weekly Busqueda magazine that if he did accept the offer, the money would be used to help the poor.
President Mujica - popularly known as Pepe - lives on a ramshackle farm and gives away most of his pay.

In 2010, his annual personal wealth declaration - mandatory for officials in Uruguay - was $1,800, the value of his blue 1987 Beetle.

Busqueda reported that the offer for the car was made at an international summit earlier this year in Santa Cruz, Bolivia.
"They made me an offer," Mr Mujica, 79, told the magazine.

"I was a bit surprised, and at first I really didn't pay too much attention to it. But later, another offer came in, and I began to take it a little more seriously."
The president said he had "no commitment to cars" and would happily auction it.

He joked that he had not sold it so far because he needed it for his dog Manuela, famous for only having three legs.

Mr Mujica said that if he got $1m for the car, he would donate it to a programme he supports that provides housing for the homeless.

President Mujica is barred by the constitution from running for a second consecutive term and a presidential election held last month is to go to a second round.

A recent survey gave Mr Mujica an approval rating of nearly 60%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-29946977

Re: 'poorest' President's Offered $1m For His Volskwagen Beetle Car by adeokunade: 6:00pm On Dec 24, 2014
Mr president am offering $1.5m and I want a response within 24hrs
Re: 'poorest' President's Offered $1m For His Volskwagen Beetle Car by fkaz(m): 6:03pm On Dec 24, 2014
Leaving a modest lifestyle has it own reward and that is why i will vote for Buhari because he is a good example here in nigeria
Re: 'poorest' President's Offered $1m For His Volskwagen Beetle Car by Nobody: 6:16pm On Dec 24, 2014
fkaz:
Leaving a modest lifestyle has it own reward and that is why i will vote for Buhari because he is a good example here in nigeria

no even try am..

2 Likes

Re: 'poorest' President's Offered $1m For His Volskwagen Beetle Car by fkaz(m): 6:28pm On Dec 24, 2014
voltron:

no even try am..

I understand you, But Buhari is not jonathan who claim he had no shoes but end up eating 1billion naira food in aso rock
Re: 'poorest' President's Offered $1m For His Volskwagen Beetle Car by oziegbe2015: 6:57pm On Dec 24, 2014
In africa people dont value what they have, we have a man of this nature in BUHARI the masses general. But only brain washed black people think governance is about gathering wealth. Buhari is the epitome of INTEGRITY which we dont value, in other climes they celebrate integrity. But in Nigeria they would mock someone who choses to live a simple live as poor. Brace yourself Change is here

1 Like

Re: 'poorest' President's Offered $1m For His Volskwagen Beetle Car by Nobody: 7:45pm On Dec 24, 2014
Is Uruguay an economic power house? What is their GDP per capita?

where is the evidence that this President's modest lifestyle and world view has benefited his country economically

A man who has the clout to be President does not need to steal his Nation's resources to be rich

What is on display here is a lack of ideas, ingenuity, entrepreneurship and industry. A man who lacks these ideas to improve his own personal fortune surely can not improve the fortune of his Nation.

Buhari's poverty just like this Uruguay President is just not a virtue if you ask me.

We are electing a President and not a Pope. We need leaders who can solve problems.
Re: 'poorest' President's Offered $1m For His Volskwagen Beetle Car by IdomaLikita: 8:36pm On Dec 24, 2014
mikeansy:
Is Uruguay an economic power house? What is their GDP per capita?

where is the evidence that this President's modest lifestyle and world view has benefited his country economically

A man who has the clout to be President does not need to steal his Nation's resources to be rich

What is on display here is a lack of ideas, ingenuity, entrepreneurship and industry. A man who lacks these ideas to improve his own personal fortune surely can not improve the fortune of his Nation.

Buhari's poverty just like this Uruguay President is just not a virtue if you ask me.

We are electing a President and not a Pope. We need leaders who can solve problems.

But His People Love Him! Isn't that all that Matters?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Bokoharam Killings Increased After Buhari Threathened Nigeria's Governance-opc / Bishop Oyedepo Orders Members To Come To Church With Permanent Voters Card / See How PDP Is Defacing Owerri Because Of GEJ Is Visiting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.