Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Careers In Public Health - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Careers In Public Health (136758 Views)

Top 5 Careers That Can Make Your Spouse Cheat On You / Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military / Best Paid Careers In Nigeria For 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 2:24am On Dec 03, 2015
Cajetanspeaks:
You got it all wrong mr. An undergraduate degree in public health is never a bad idea, graduates of public health with a masters degree is always prefered above those not grounded in public health, they even get work easily without msc or mph. FUTO graduates of public health are all doing well, I don't know of any futo ph graduate that is not gainfully employed.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, but I have to insist you read my comments again and understand fully.

Your statements in bold directly contradict themselves.

I would love for you to re-emphasise those words bolded
Re: Careers In Public Health by Nobody: 4:03am On Dec 03, 2015
Etinosajay:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, but I have to insist you read my comments again and understand fully.

Your statements in bold directly contradict themselves.

I would love for you to re-emphasise those words bolded
My statement in bold is not contradictory in any way, it simply means that a b.tech/bsc public health + msc or mph is miles ahead of those with msc or mph in ph but with bsc in other disciplines. And that even with only bsc in public health getting work is not that difficult.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 7:45am On Dec 03, 2015
Cajetanspeaks:
My statement in bold is not contradictory in any way, it simply means that a b.tech/bsc public health + msc or mph is miles ahead of those with msc or mph in ph but with bsc in other disciplines. And that even with only bsc in public health getting work is not that difficult.

Great. Now I understand you better.

However I'm wondering if you understand the context of my reply to that other guy.

Between A Medical Lab Science degree and A Bsc Public Health.

Can you with your knowledge advice him on either going for Med Lab science or going for Btech or Bsc public health.
dansteve75:
I appreciate those who leaves there busy schedule to help other academically on this platform. God bless you for your selfless effort.
I just gain admission for public health technology in one of Nigeria university for my first degree. Though i have it in mind for going for medical laboratory science next year because of job proximity. But my Dad said public health technology is gud.... Pls is there gud job for first degree graduate in Public Health in Nigeria. I mean not having a master degree. Pls i need your words b4 stepping into it.... Thanks everybody
Re: Careers In Public Health by Nobody: 3:02pm On Dec 03, 2015
Etinosajay:

Great. Now I understand you better.

However I'm wondering if you understand the context of my reply to that other guy.

Between A Medical Lab Science degree and A Bsc Public Health.

Can you with your knowledge advice him on either going for Med Lab science or going for Btech or Bsc public health.
He is already into publc health technology as he said, so, I don't think med lab is worth dropping public health for, and besides medical diagnosis procedures and result analysis is part of btech pht curriculum in futo. FUTO Defined public health technology as the field of health science and practice that seeks to achieve prevention of
premature death, disability and disease, as well as the
promotion of optimal wellness and functioning of
members of a population in the context of their
environment, applying appropriate technology. while Medical Laboratory Sciences (also known as
Medical Technology or Clinical Laboratory
Sciences) is the branch of laboratory medicine
that deals with the study of blood and other body
specimens to aid in the diagnosis of human
disease, determine optimal therapy, and monitor
the progress of treatment.The choice is his to make.
Re: Careers In Public Health by MISSOPTIMIST(f): 6:38pm On Dec 03, 2015
Etinosajay:

What degree did she receive from the school of health she previously attended?

She will be graduating next year with ND in environmental health science.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 8:17pm On Dec 03, 2015
Cajetanspeaks:
He is already into publc health technology as he said, so, I don't think med lab is worth dropping public health for, and besides medical diagnosis procedures and result analysis is part of btech pht curriculum in futo. FUTO Defined public health technology as the field of health science and practice that seeks to achieve prevention of
environment, applying appropriate technology. while Medical Laboratory Sciences (also known as

Good to know.

However I do not know the course content or curricula of study in B.tech Public Health that equates with medical lab diagnosis.

I'm glad you defined what public health encompasses, but I'm afraid no stream directly deals with medical lab work (or blood work as you rightly called it)

In summary, Med Lab and B'Tech are entirely different. Each unique and distinctly different from the other.

If I may ask, for knowledge sake, what scope of work do B'Tech graduates of Public Health find themselves doing upon graduation?

2 Likes

Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 8:18pm On Dec 03, 2015
MISSOPTIMIST:

She will be graduating next year with ND in environmental health science.

He or she my prefer to enter environmental science Bachelors or any affiliate health related first degree which may put him or her on the career path of Public Health
Re: Careers In Public Health by Nobody: 10:51pm On Dec 03, 2015
Etinosajay:

Good to know.

However I do not know the course content or curricula of study in B.tech Public Health that equates with medical lab diagnosis.

I'm glad you defined what public health encompasses, but I'm afraid no stream directly deals with medical lab work (or blood work as you rightly called it)

In summary, Med Lab and B'Tech are entirely different. Each unique and distinctly different from the other.

If I may ask, for knowledge sake, what scope of work do B'Tech graduates of Public Health find themselves doing upon graduation?
This link will do a lot to your knowledge quest, futo.edu.ng/Schools/Health/Public.aspx
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 8:28am On Dec 04, 2015
Cajetanspeaks:

The bolded is where I do not agree with U. Public Health or Public Health technology (BTECH) as offered by FUTO does not teach Medical Diagnosis.

Medical diagnosis is the exclusive preserve of Med Lab Science, Radiology and related disciplines.

Public Health Technology (culled from the link you provided) encompasses disease prevention in a population/environment context. Studying the parameters which seeks to form diseases.

In clear terms, a Public Health expert studies the population/demography in tandem with the environment and it's elements, understanding the relationship between both for the purpose of controlling the interactions that exists, to effectively prevent disease formation and spread.

That being said, for effective achievement of sustainable public health, a public health expert works with information from relevant medical professionals.

This is what informed my advice to the other colleague. It is his choice whether to follow the Public Health Bachelors or follow Med Lab route.

1 Like

Re: Careers In Public Health by Nobody: 9:00am On Dec 04, 2015
Etinosajay:

The bolded is where I do not agree with U. Public Health or Public Health technology (BTECH) as offered by FUTO does not teach Medical Diagnosis.

Medical diagnosis is the exclusive preserve of Med Lab Science, Radiology and related disciplines.

Public Health Technology (culled from the link you provided) encompasses disease prevention in a population/environment context. Studying the parameters which seeks to form diseases.

In clear terms, a Public Health expert studies the population/demography in tandem with the environment and it's elements, understanding the relationship between both for the purpose of controlling the interactions that exists, to effectively prevent disease formation and spread.

That being said, for effective achievement of sustainable public health, a public health expert works with information from relevant medical professionals.

This is what informed my advice to the other colleague. It is his choice whether to follow the Public Health Bachelors or follow Med Lab route.
check the link i gave you, its clearly stated in the public health course content(part 5), there is no need for argument.
Re: Careers In Public Health by sandyharrison(f): 9:40am On Dec 04, 2015
Hello everyone. I just came across this post, hope I'm not late embarassed i have a bachelors degree in public health with no working experience yet, and now I have the opportunity to do a masters program in health and hospital management in north Cyprus. I need suggestions and more information please.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 10:17am On Dec 04, 2015
Cajetanspeaks:
check the link i gave you, its clearly stated in the public health course content(part 5), there is no need for argument.

Part 5 says "development of basic skills in quantitative techniques in public health research methodology. Here, needs assessment research and evaluation research stand out"

Is this what you interpreted to mean medical diagnosis?

Quantitative techniques in public health zeroes on Statistics or simply put, the measurement and determination of numbers in public health.

Cc drpialabi
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 10:24am On Dec 04, 2015
sandyharrison:
Hello everyone. I just came across this post, hope I'm not late embarassed i have a bachelors degree in public health with no working experience yet, and now I have the opportunity to do a masters program in health and hospital management in north Cyprus. I need suggestions and more information please.

Having a bachelor's in public health, I'd assume you know what you want going forward.

You know by now the different streams in public health. If health management practice as represented by the program health and hospital management is your thing, then go ahead and enjoy it.

If you're not so sure, I would advise you try to know more of other streams in public health, viz, Epidemiology, Medical statistics, Global Health, etc

Bottom line, follow your passion.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 10:26am On Dec 04, 2015
EMS (Epidemiology & Medical Statistics) Oral/Written Interview @ University of Ibadan, slated for 7th December 2015.

Goodluck if you're scheduled to take it.

1 Like

Re: Careers In Public Health by Nobody: 10:32am On Dec 04, 2015
Etinosajay:

Part 5 says "development of basic skills in quantitative techniques in public health research methodology. Here, needs assessment research and evaluation research stand out"

Quantitative techniques in public health zeroes on Statistics or simply put, the measurement and determination of numbers in public health.

Cc drpialabi
Asked you to go to course content not that you are quoting
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 10:32am On Dec 04, 2015
Cajetanspeaks:
Asked you to go to course content not that you are quoting

Thanks.

I actually read the course objective before reading details in the course contents.

I appreciate the information you bring.

It's cool to learn that B'Tech at that level teaches medical diagnostics, but I cannot assert that a B'Tech graduate is a like for like replacement for a Professional Medical Lab scientist in a Hospital setting, can you?

What they learn here, however is useful and a plus in the study of public health
Re: Careers In Public Health by Nobody: 3:37pm On Dec 04, 2015
Etinosajay:

Thanks.

I actually read the course objective before reading details in the course contents.

I appreciate the information you bring.

It's cool to learn that B'Tech at that level teaches medical diagnostics, but I cannot assert that a B'Tech graduate is a like for like replacement for a Professional Medical Lab scientist in a Hospital setting, can you?

What they learn here, however is useful and a plus in the study of public health
The inculcation of medical diagnostics into public health technology was actually to aid the practice of public health, that is, a public health grad do not need to wait for the services of a med lab scientist before he/she can carry out his research work or do his work effectively and not to take over the work of med lab guys.
Re: Careers In Public Health by drpialabi: 9:18am On Dec 05, 2015
Etinosajay:

Cc drpialabi
y

you are absolutely right
Re: Careers In Public Health by drpialabi: 9:20am On Dec 05, 2015
[quote author=Etinosajay post=40676148]EMS (Epidemiology & Medical Statistics) Oral/Written Interview @ University of Ibadan, slated for 7th December 2015.

Goodluck if you're scheduled to take it.[/quote

wish u guys the very best
Re: Careers In Public Health by drpialabi: 1:16pm On Dec 09, 2015
[quote author=drpialabi post=40705149][/quote] @etinosajay. How was r exam?
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 12:20pm On Dec 10, 2015
drpialabi:
@etinosajay. How was r exam?

Went well.

Thanks
Re: Careers In Public Health by damsel5: 5:42am On Dec 25, 2015
Thanks for this post, please if a public health graduate wants to teach in a secondary school before going for masters programme, which subjects is she/he likely to take the students. thanks
Re: Careers In Public Health by Kurupt01: 6:51pm On Dec 28, 2015
damsel5:
Thanks for this post, please if a public health graduate wants to teach in a secondary school before going for masters programme, which subjects is she/he likely to take the students. thanks

Am not a professional but i think the most closely related subjects are Biology & Chemistry (Senior Secondary) and Integrated Science (Junior Secondary) .
Re: Careers In Public Health by TONYE001(m): 11:57pm On Jan 22, 2016
My wife has a B. Sc degree in Human Anatomy and she is due to round up her M. Sc program in Preventive and Social Medicine (Public Health) this year.

For a while now, we've been looking for a job placement for her here in P.H.

I found this thread via a Google search.

Kindly share info if you know of any.

Thanks.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 8:01am On Jan 23, 2016
TONYE001:
My wife has a B. Sc degree in Human Anatomy and she is due to round up her M. Sc program in Preventive and Social Medicine (Public Health) this year.

For a while now, we've been looking for a job placement for her here in P.H.

I found this thread via a Google search.

Kindly share info if you know of any.

Thanks.

It's important to know where to look as well. She'd be bagging an msc, hence its not a bad idea to look at research positions or academic positions with institutions or department of health.

Just my own thought
Re: Careers In Public Health by TONYE001(m): 8:24am On Jan 23, 2016
Etinosajay:

It's important to know where to look as well. She'd be bagging an msc, hence its not a bad idea to look at research positions or academic positions with institutions or department of health.

Just my own thought

Thanks for your swift response.

Your suggestion is a great one...the only issue is that, she has got no interest in the academic field. She prefers working in any of the NGO's. The issue with the NGO's is that, they always ask for experience....and she's got none..in the NGO field at least.

I told her serve as a volunteer..this would give her some experience she requires.. She went to Africare the other day..they told her to go back some two months afterwards..by then our baby would be over six months..they said he's too small..that they are mostly involved in field work..apparently, a nursing mother may have difficulty doing that..

I sincerely hope she gets a place...she's so EAGER about starting a career...What do you think?
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 9:10am On Jan 23, 2016
TONYE001:

Thanks for your swift response.

Your suggestion is a great one...the only issue is that, she has got no interest in the academic field. She prefers working in any of the NGO's. The issue with the NGO's is that, they always ask for experience....and she's got none..in the NGO field at least.

I told her serve as a volunteer..this would give her some experience she requires.. She went to Africare the other day..they told her to go back some two months afterwards..by then our baby would be over six months..they said he's too small..that they are mostly involved in field work..apparently, a nursing mother may have difficulty doing that..

I sincerely hope she gets a place...she's so EAGER about starting a career...What do you think?

That's a good start. I somehow think she should have done an MPH instead, since she's looking out for professional opportunities.

All the same she still has a good standing. Starting out as a volunteer is an excellent idea. Let her look for other volunteer opportunities as well, both in the community health setting or otherwise.

She can also use the power of the social media. Persistence would also pay off.

1 Like

Re: Careers In Public Health by femisoleye: 10:46pm On Feb 23, 2016
I'm a graduate of psychology, but also have medical laboratory technician certificate. I desire to do MPH program. Will i be offered admission? Do we have MPH on part-time. If we have it. Is it academic or professional? Thanks
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 6:58am On Feb 24, 2016
femisoleye:
I'm a graduate of psychology, but also have medical laboratory technician certificate. I desire to do MPH program. Will i be offered admission? Do we have MPH on part-time. If we have it. Is it academic or professional? Thanks

There is no part time MPH as much a I know.

1 Like

Re: Careers In Public Health by femisoleye: 4:55pm On Feb 24, 2016
Thanks for your quick response, but can someone with B.sc psychology be admitted for MPH program?
Re: Careers In Public Health by archer1(m): 12:59pm On Feb 28, 2016
femisoleye:
Thanks for your quick response, but can someone with B.sc psychology be admitted for MPH program?

Yes
Re: Careers In Public Health by Sard(m): 5:25am On Mar 09, 2016
Hello, Etinosajay How are your studies going? Please, I want to start my MSC in U.I this year, so when will the form be out!?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply)

Highest Paying Jobs In Nigeria And How Much They Pay / Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.