Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,053 members, 7,953,183 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:59 AM

Need Help With Fixing My Clutch - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Need Help With Fixing My Clutch (2569 Views)

Honda Accord 2006 Model: Manual Transmission...??is My Clutch Bad? / My Clutch Pedal Keep Going Flat Every Morning / Checklist Of Fixing Flood Damaged Vehicles From Hurricane Sandy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by mili3kid(m): 1:11am On Dec 29, 2014
hello my people. abeg I need help o. i drive a volkswagen Golf 3 1993 manual. for sometym now i have been having a problem with my clutch. while driving, whenever I press the clutch for quite a long time especially during hold ups... d clutch doesnt come back to its normal level .like it should instead it gets stuck and I have tk pull it up with my leg or sometimes my hands. i have gone to my mechanic.they claimed it is some black rubber thing like that thats causing the problem.they changed it but driving again i realise m still having the same problem. pls who has an idea of what might be the exact problem. i need your advice pls.
Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by Nobody: 1:35am On Dec 29, 2014
What engine size is your VW Golf III?
Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by AutosBay(m): 7:01am On Dec 29, 2014
Would suggest you replace the master cylinder.
Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by itsmayiela(m): 7:17am On Dec 29, 2014
It's a familiar problem. don't be deceived by any mechanic into buying clutch cable or any part. Tell the mechanic to put a padding on the clutch cable. He should use a thick ring pad on the end of the clutch pad. If the padding is not thick enough, the problem will resume after a few days. I will send you picture of what i am explaining
Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by Nobody: 8:08am On Dec 29, 2014
itsmayiela:
It's a familiar problem. don't be deceived by any mechanic into buying clutch cable or any part. Tell the mechanic to put a padding on the clutch cable. He should use a thick ring pad on the end of the clutch pad. If the padding is not thick enough, the problem will resume after a few days. I will send you picture of what i am explaining

Not a good way to solve this problem. Deviating from the factory set-up is a BOTCH.
Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:09am On Dec 29, 2014
mili3kid:
hello my people. abeg I need help o. i drive a volkswagen Golf 3 1993 manual. for sometym now i have been having a problem with my clutch. while driving, whenever I press the clutch for quite a long time especially during hold ups... d clutch doesnt come back to its normal level .like it should instead it gets stuck and I have tk pull it up with my leg or sometimes my hands. i have gone to my mechanic.they claimed it is some black rubber thing like that thats causing the problem.they changed it but driving again i realise m still having the same problem. pls who has an idea of what might be the exact problem. i need your advice pls.

How does ur clutch operate? Hydraulics or cable?
Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by uboma(m): 8:10am On Dec 29, 2014
mili3kid:

You need to desist from clutching down for long periods especially during traffic hold-ups or check points. For me, during such hold-up, i release my gear and take it neutral, hence no need placing pressure on the clutch. This way your clutch will serve you longer...
Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by Nobody: 8:10am On Dec 29, 2014
AutosBay:

IF the clutch is hydraulically operated, I would agree. But right now, it could be hydraulically or cable operated, depending on the engine fitted.

The thread starter has NOT given the engine size.
Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by doroboss(m): 8:43am On Dec 29, 2014
I press the clutch for quite a long time especially during hold ups... d clutch doesnt come back to its normal level .like it should instead it gets stuck and I have tk pull it up with my leg or sometimes my hands.

It is hydraulic, cable would not return if pulled up.
AutosBay:

Nice suggestion.

OP consider replacing your clutch master and slave cylinders. Problem solved.

2 Likes

Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by itsmayiela(m): 4:32am On Dec 30, 2014
I can bet N1,000 that is cable-operated. This issue usually arises after roadside mechanics change the clutch plate.

Most likely, it won't be any master cylinder issue. it occurs whenever the clutch pedal is depressed for over one minute and above. It hangs and will only return when pulled with the leg or when you get to the engine and pull up the cable.

Get a good mechanic and he retrofits a cylindrical pad on the clutch cable and problem is solved. Shikena!

You hold the knife and the yam.
Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by mili3kid(m): 6:19pm On Dec 30, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

How does ur clutch operate? Hydraulics or cable?
i think its hydraulics...no vex boss. i no wan assume ni. bt considering the fix that was made, i think its hydraulics.
Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by mili3kid(m): 6:21pm On Dec 30, 2014
Siena:
What engine size is your VW Golf III?
its 1.8l sir
Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:22pm On Dec 30, 2014
mili3kid:
i think its hydraulics...no vex boss. i no wan assume ni. bt considering the fix that was made, i think its hydraulics.

It takes you forever to respond.

Meanwhile there are solutions above for hydraulic and cable operated clutch system take your pick.
Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by mili3kid(m): 6:23pm On Dec 30, 2014
Siena:

IF the clutch is hydraulically operated, I would agree. But right now, it could be hydraulically or cable operated, depending on the engine fitted.

The thread starter has NOT given the engine size.
the engine size is 1.8L boss...
Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by mili3kid(m): 6:24pm On Dec 30, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

It takes you forever to respond.

Meanwhile there are solutions above for hydraulic and cable operated clutch system take your pick.
ah boss...nob so o. my fone has been bad. and light in my area has been bad. m very sorry...
Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by mili3kid(m): 6:27pm On Dec 30, 2014
doroboss:

Nice suggestion.

tnx boss. the mechanics even changed some black rubber stuffs in the master and slave cylinder...thinking its d problem. alas the problem still exists.
Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by mili3kid(m): 6:27pm On Dec 30, 2014
doroboss:

Nice suggestion.

tnx boss. the mechanics even changed some black rubber stuffs in the master and slave cylinder...thinking its d problem. alas the problem still exists....
Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by Nobody: 6:58pm On Dec 30, 2014
A 1.8-engined VW Golf III is fitted with a hydraulically-operated clutch.

Get the BOTH clutch master and slave cylinders replaced. I mean with new parts, not used, or "refurbished with black rubbers".

1 Like

Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by mili3kid(m): 7:01pm On Dec 30, 2014
Siena:
oga siena talk na...
Re: Need Help With Fixing My Clutch by mili3kid(m): 7:17pm On Dec 30, 2014
Siena:
A 1.8-engined VW Golf III is fitted with a hydraulically-operated clutch.

Get the BOTH clutch master and slave cylinders replaced. I mean with new parts, not used, or "refurbished with black rubbers".
alryt boss...tnx alot

(1) (Reply)

Hyundai / Kia Mechanic In Abuja / Gmc Cars In Nigeria / What Is/are The Best Cars To Buy With 1 Million, 2 Million, & 3 Million Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.