Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,499 members, 7,823,166 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

Highway Or City Driving Where Is A Car More Prone To Developing Faults - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Highway Or City Driving Where Is A Car More Prone To Developing Faults (1289 Views)

About 10 Men Sitting On A Bus On A Lekki Highway / #KogiInauguration: Fatal Tipper Accident At Kogi Highway (Graphic Pics) / Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Highway Or City Driving Where Is A Car More Prone To Developing Faults by ogawisdom(m): 8:59am On Dec 29, 2014
Hello folks

Where is a car more prone to developing faults on highway or city driving other things beings equal ie u ve carried out all schedule maintainance and repairs to d best of ur knowledge.

Ok let me give a practical example:
If one has used a certain car everyday for three months in city covering abt 1200km without any fault does dt at least assure one dt d same car can be used for a highway one time drive of abt 400km without d car developing any fault.

I personally think a car is most prone to fault in city driving bc it is most stressed with multiple stop n go traffic n d likes. I believe such car as in d senerio above shld do d highway driving of 400km effortlessly. Wat do u guys think

I will appreciate ppl with practical experience most even though theoritical gurus r welcomed too grin

I hope scan d car n go to ur user manual folks will let this thread b cool
Re: Highway Or City Driving Where Is A Car More Prone To Developing Faults by doroboss(m): 10:01am On Dec 29, 2014
If you drive an automatic using your left foot highway or city driving will not matter, it will be prone to faults.
Re: Highway Or City Driving Where Is A Car More Prone To Developing Faults by ogawisdom(m): 10:22am On Dec 29, 2014
doroboss:
If you drive an automatic using your left foot highway or city driving will not matter, it will be prone to faults.

What r u saying ur post is soundin lik off point. U can clarify ur point wink
Re: Highway Or City Driving Where Is A Car More Prone To Developing Faults by Nobody: 3:15pm On Dec 29, 2014
This question is a little bit complicated. Highway driving may be good for the cooling system but it causes more wear to your transmission, engine and other parts since you will cover more miles per time compared to just driving within the city.
I believe a car used for consistent highway driving will be more prone to developing faults.
Re: Highway Or City Driving Where Is A Car More Prone To Developing Faults by ogawisdom(m): 3:28pm On Dec 29, 2014
0rex:
This question is a little bit complicated. Highway driving may be good for the cooling system but it causes more wear to your transmission, engine and other parts since you will cover more miles per time compared to just driving within the city.
I believe a car used for consistent highway driving will be more prone to developing faults.

Well my office colleague thinks like u too n dts y he told me he won't b travelling to d village for d new year with his car for fear of d car developing faults bc he is nt ready for car wahala as he is on a tight budget. He only needs to travel for abt 350km max wit his car but he has used it on city for over six months without faults
Re: Highway Or City Driving Where Is A Car More Prone To Developing Faults by Nobody: 3:37pm On Dec 29, 2014
ogawisdom:

... he won't b travelling to d village for d new year with his car for fear of d car developing faults bc he is nt ready for car wahala...
grin Before a car will breakdown, there are usually warning signs.
Re: Highway Or City Driving Where Is A Car More Prone To Developing Faults by ogawisdom(m): 6:13pm On Dec 29, 2014
0rex:

grin Before a car will breakdown, there are usually warning signs.

Sometimes there r no warning signs it jst happens
Re: Highway Or City Driving Where Is A Car More Prone To Developing Faults by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 29, 2014
Cars with high highway miles are sometimes better than cars with low miles that are driving within the city.

Think about it. Do you want to buy a car used as Kabu Kabu in Lagos or a car that is sued to do runs between Lagos and Maiduguri?

The car in Lagos will be worse off due to start and stops, while the car going to Maiduguri will be mostly going at a constant speed.

1 Like

Re: Highway Or City Driving Where Is A Car More Prone To Developing Faults by Nobody: 7:31pm On Dec 29, 2014
ogawisdom:

Sometimes there r no warning signs it jst happens
Yeah...true. But if one keeps on having the fear of breakdowns, you won't ever travel with your car. Meanwhile, the commercial vehicle you settle for might be in a far worse shape than your own car without you knowing. grin
Re: Highway Or City Driving Where Is A Car More Prone To Developing Faults by ogawisdom(m): 7:37pm On Dec 29, 2014
0rex:

Yeah...true. But if one keeps on having the fear of breakdowns, you won't ever travel with your car. Meanwhile, the commercial vehicle you settle for might be in a far worse shape than your own car without you knowing. grin

grin u r right bro d last time I travel with commercial bus for over 600km I ws surprised d driver doesn't kw wat it means to ve engine light on n he told me d light ve been on for over 3yrs n it is nothing n his tires r gone n dt vehicle jerking wen he slows down n accelerates again. Infact his bus is very sick but won't stop moving n hence he doesn't care
Re: Highway Or City Driving Where Is A Car More Prone To Developing Faults by Nobody: 7:40pm On Dec 29, 2014
CityNG:

The car in Lagos will be worse off due to start and stops, while the car going to Maiduguri will be mostly going at a constant speed.

Not necessarily. What if the car goes from lagos to maiduguri three times in a week and it is being compared with another car used in the city, to and from work daily, say a 35km distance even though there is traffic?
Re: Highway Or City Driving Where Is A Car More Prone To Developing Faults by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 29, 2014
ogawisdom:

grin u r right bro d last time I travel with commercial bus for over 600km I ws surprised d driver doesn't kw wat ...
cheesy
Re: Highway Or City Driving Where Is A Car More Prone To Developing Faults by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 29, 2014
0rex:

Not necessarily. What if the car goes from lagos to maiduguri three times in a week and it is being compared with another car used in the city, to and from work daily, say a 35km distance even though there is traffic?

I answered the question asked with my opinion and direct experience. You're free to have a different opinion.
Re: Highway Or City Driving Where Is A Car More Prone To Developing Faults by Nobody: 10:37pm On Dec 29, 2014
CityNG:

I answered the question asked with my opinion and direct experience. You're free to have a different opinion.
Okay. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Smart Dashboards, Safe Or Dangerous? / Can You Imagine This Happening To Your N136 Million Lamborghini Aventador? / Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.