Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,170 members, 7,821,969 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? (13955 Views)

Is Mazda Mpv Suv A Durable Car? / . / Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by ping2ping: 8:21am On Jul 31, 2013
I have heard that mazda cars are prone to auto gear issues especially from guys on this forum. It said that it is safe to avoid auto gear mazda cars.

My question then: is Mazda MPV 2001 - 2003 prone to auto gear problems? I ask because mazda mpv 2001 - 2003 come ONLY as auto gear. I'm in love with the minivan but what to know about the durability of the auto gear with use of the right ATF?

I will appreciate comments on this especially from people who have first hand experience on this minivan.
Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by ping2ping: 5:55pm On Jul 31, 2013
Please people who know about this car should post on this thread
Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by cardoctor(m): 6:01pm On Aug 01, 2013
I have encountered a few engine problems on this car but mainly due to bad mechanics and poor maintenance. The most common issues with them are the auto transmission. If you intend buying one, check for high mileage cars with poor service history and avoid them or else you might risk having to change the gearbox in no time.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by igomen: 7:27pm On Aug 01, 2013
To enjoy Mazda MPV you need to have good maintenance culture. Regular servicing of the gear (just as you service the engine) say every 4-6 months is the only panacea for unforeseen (future) gear problems. No two ways about it. How do I know this you may ask; simple, I drive one and I have been taught a lesson I don't intend to forget in a hurry.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by lanrefront1(m): 12:57pm On Aug 03, 2013
@ igomen

Please, how would you rate the fuel efficiency of a mazda mpv in relation to other cars?
Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by igomen: 5:08pm On Aug 03, 2013
@Lanre front
The fuel efficiency of Mazda MPV in relation to other cars is Sub par. Going by the reports I read, the engine of the MPV 2000 - 2006 model years is actually made by Ford Inc. for their cars (Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique )not Mazda. These cars performed well but on the Mazda mpv the curb weight was higher hence, less fuel efficient.
Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by ping2ping: 9:46pm On Aug 05, 2013
What does "servicing the auto gear" mean? Changing the ATF every 4-6 months? Is it same for all cars? I know of a friend who drives Honda Accord 97. She last changed the ATF of the auto gear four(4) years ago yet the car is still moving. She is using it as everyday car.
Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by ping2ping: 10:26pm On Aug 07, 2013
Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:52pm On Aug 07, 2013
ping2ping: What does "servicing the auto gear" mean? Changing the ATF every 4-6 months? Is it same for all cars? I know of a friend who drives Honda Accord 97. She last changed the ATF of the auto gear four(4) years ago yet the car is still moving. She is using it as everyday car.

servicing means changing the oil

most people in uk do service there engines and gearbox yearly, since a roadworth test is done yearly, most people do the MOT (roadworth test)and servicing at the same time, some garages offer lower prices if you do both at the same time

so in general they dont follow manufacturer service intervals
Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by ping2ping: 6:55am On Aug 08, 2013
Thanks @ZIM DRILL

I have been looking at MPV transmission from several forums and i have discovered that from 2002 model, Mazda introduced the 5-speed auto gear. Now this where the problem comes. It seems the 5-speed is NOT very durable as many complaints of tranny issues come in these model years (2002 and above). Mazda is aware of this and do subsidize the cost of changing the tranny for some of their customers even when the warranty period had elapsed. But that is advanced countries. If you have that issue in Nigeria, you are on your own.

For now, it seems better to go for 2001 and below model years with 4-speed auto transmission.

I will post as i get more facts. I like this MPV hence my research on it.

I heard some commercial transporters are using it in Lagos loading around Ijora or so. Can anyone confirm this and probably the model years they are using?
Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by ping2ping: 10:53am On Aug 08, 2013
igomen: To enjoy Mazda MPV you need to have good maintenance culture. Regular servicing of the gear (just as you service the engine) say every 4-6 months is the only panacea for unforeseen (future) gear problems. No two ways about it. How do I know this you may ask; simple, I drive one and I have been taught a lesson I don't intend to forget in a hurry.

Which model of MPV are you using? Could you share your bitter experience so that other interested readers may learn
Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by igomen: 11:46pm On Aug 08, 2013
ping2ping:

Which model of MPV are you using? Could you share your bitter experience so that other interested readers may learn
I drive a Mazda MPV LX 2000 model. It's a fun car to drive but when u ignore the warning signs repairs will eat deep into your pocket. Though my mechanic told me I'm lucky its the 2000 I model I own, he said if it were the '02 and above models, I will spend 3x the amount I spent in rebuilding my gear. Warning sign: After I stop in traffic and I try to accelerate, it takes a while before it moves; that is a sign that the gear filter might be clogged. Solution is either to service the filter or replace it. I did neither and weeks later the auto transmission failed completely, I could not move an inch.

After this experience and my account debited by 50k to rebuild the tranny, I now do regular gear service of 4-6 months interval. I no longer have tranny issues, its a smooth ride all the way. Just as you shouldn't ignore your car engine, so also you shouldn't ignore the gear: inspect at regular intervals by taking note of the colour, smell and consistency of the fluid, this will give you an idea of when service is due.
Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by ping2ping: 12:23am On Aug 09, 2013
igomen:
I drive a Mazda MPV LX 2000 model. It's a fun car to drive but when u ignore the warning signs repairs will eat deep into your pocket. Though my mechanic told me I'm lucky its the 2000 I model I own, he said if it were the '02 and above models, I will spend 3x the amount I spent in rebuilding my gear. Warning sign: After I stop in traffic and I try to accelerate, it takes a while before it moves; that is a sign that the gear filter might be clogged. Solution is either to service the filter or replace it. I did neither and weeks later the auto transmission failed completely, I could not move an inch.

After this experience and my account debited by 50k to rebuild the tranny, I now do regular gear service of 4-6 months interval. I no longer have tranny issues, its a smooth ride all the way. Just as you shouldn't ignore your car engine, so also you shouldn't ignore the gear: inspect at regular intervals by taking note of the colour, smell and consistency of the fluid, this will give you an idea of when service is due.

Sorry about that and thanks for sharing. But what kind of ATF do you use?

Somebody elsewhere in this forum said "You will need to replace the piping underneath the car with aluminum since it is prone to rust which will cause your car to lose coolant and overheat - and this vehicle does not like overheating. Once you have done this, and you use a proper mixture of both coolant and water, you will never worry about overheating with this vehicle. Also ensure both fans work to prevent overheating." Did you experience overheating problems or changed the piping as the guy said?

Thanks for the info
Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by igomen: 12:35am On Aug 09, 2013
ping2ping:

Somebody elsewhere in this forum said "You will need to replace the piping underneath the car with aluminum since it is prone to rust which will cause your car to lose coolant and overheat - and this vehicle does not like overheating. Once you have done this, and you use a proper mixture of both coolant and water, you will never worry about overheating with this vehicle. Also ensure both fans work to prevent overheating." Did you experience overheating problems or changed the piping as the guy said?

Thanks for the info
I use Mobile 220 ATF or DexronII, this is the recommended ATF for the model year.
Overheating is a non-issue with my MPV. The cooling system is at its best. The fans work only when they need to. Initially I thought this was a problem, however, after going through the manual, I got to understand that the fans are not meant to work all time and this keeps the temperature gauge right at the middle - the optimum temperature for peak engine performance
Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by IdaraCHODB(m): 11:51am On Sep 12, 2013
ping2ping:

Thanks for the info

Please see:

http://www.justanswer.com/mazda/5fx4p-mazda-mpv-mpv-loosing-coolant-sign-leak.html

http://www.underhoodservice.com/Article/107914/tech_tip_mazda_leak_from_rear_heater_pipe.aspx

http://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/rear-heater-pipes-corroded-poor-design-15666/
Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by IdaraCHODB(m): 12:21pm On Sep 12, 2013
igomen:

I read somewhere I cannot find the source now that the failure of Mazda to specify an interval for transmission servicing in the manual led to several catastrophic transmission failures that have been documented online and that the consensus among MPV owners is to do the servicing every 50,000 miles.

My suggestion is if money is no object, do it every 25,000 miles so don't just use months to calculate, use number of miles covered as well, so whichever comes first is what should guide you.

1 Like

Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by olumide4christ: 9:37pm On Nov 09, 2013
Please @igomen, @ping2ping, i would need you to recommend reputable (not roadside) mazda mechanics that you use or know of. Expect your reply soonest! Thanks.
Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by heyeoler(m): 5:16pm On Jun 30, 2020
I'm seriously thinking of buying a Mazda mpv 2003 naija used, is there anything I should be worried about?

1 Like

Re: Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? by omololadeoil(m): 12:35am On Aug 04, 2020
I am also interested in buying Mazda mpv 2003 or 2006 model. Please I need more info on the most economical one

(1) (Reply)

Convertible Cars, Safe Or Not? / Tesla Will Reveal Its Electric Container Truck In September (teaser Photo) / Is It Compulsory To Do Wheel Balancing And Alignment After Tyre Change

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.