Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,816 members, 7,810,132 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

The Apple iPhone Thread - Phones (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Apple iPhone Thread (16717 Views)

Xiaomi Is The Apple Of China / PHOTO: Who Bit The Apple Logo / Apple Iphone 6 Release Date, Rumors Update: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by ExInferis(m): 4:50pm On Jan 16, 2009
texazzpete:

Have they gotten the ipod section to work in PC Suite? Haven't updated in a while.

waddayameanlike? its been working perfectly (almost) all the while, bar one or two glitches. lately however i discovered i cant add media outside the pc suite folders to my ipod app on 2.2.

bummer.

if any one uses a Mac get PhoneView; its great for managing data (contacts, sms, notes, ipod media, etc). TouchCopy works aslmost as well on windoze, except getting a piraX version is a heck of a bother.

pic below:

image from redsn0w.com. i highlighted the string in red. any fool can see thats a ramdisk key.

Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by flyuche(m): 3:32pm On Mar 01, 2009
the iphone has achieved a resounding failure in japan where in response to this the carrier operator , softbank, is luring customer with a zero price tag for a two year contract. the savvy japanese consider the phone too backward and ugly. interesting.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by naijafan(m): 10:48pm On Mar 01, 2009
flyuche:

the iphone has achieved a resounding failure in japan where in response to this the carrier operator , softbank, is luring customer with a zero price tag for a two year contract. the savvy japanese consider the phone too backward and ugly. interesting.
maybe cos it has no television. tongue
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by ExInferis(m): 2:45pm On Mar 03, 2009
or lots of blinking colored LEDs.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by hayprof(m): 4:28pm On Mar 03, 2009
Or even radio is missing! tongue
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by texazzpete(m): 6:30pm On Mar 03, 2009
flyuche:

The iPhone won many awards for it's beauty, with many gadget blogs and review sites praising it then as the 'most gorgeous Phone in existence'

The fact that it doesn't appeal to the Japanese in an aesthetic sense is purely due to cultural differences.
But don't let that stop your trolling, little man. Nokia symbian phones have sold crappily in Japan also, yet that somehow escaped your trollish eyes?
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by flyuche(m): 3:35pm On Mar 04, 2009
texazzpete:

The iPhone won many awards for it's beauty, with many gadget blogs and review sites praising it then as the 'most gorgeous Phone in existence'

The fact that it doesn't appeal to the Japanese in an aesthetic sense is purely due to cultural differences.
But don't let that stop your trolling, little man. Nokia symbian phones have sold crappily in Japan also, yet that somehow escaped your trollish eyes?

judging from your manner of replies, you are the real troll.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by ExInferis(m): 4:04pm On Mar 04, 2009
Flyuche = Ogre
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by flyuche(m): 5:39pm On Mar 04, 2009
i have nothing against the iphone. but there more to user preference for a particular phone than just touch input. for a 3G phone, i would have loved it if i can use it as a modem. that small screen would not let me enjoy all that bandwidth ,worse still is a browser that doesn't support flash.
Currently almost all the apps available from the app store are useless, surviving a user lifespan of one day!
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by flyuche(m): 5:51pm On Mar 04, 2009
@ tex. While not making comparison here, note the symbian OS powers over 80% of the smartphones in Japan. The Japanese simply could not understand why a multimedia phone, that "won awards", or mesmerised hundreds of jobless youth to stand in a queue for hours, can not record video or send mms.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by texazzpete(m): 8:43pm On Mar 05, 2009
flyuche:

@ tex. While not making comparison here, note the symbian OS powers over 80% of the smartphones in Japan. The Japanese simply could not understand why a multimedia phone, that "won awards", or mesmerised hundreds of jobless youth to stand in a queue for hours, can not record video or send mms.

More apt to say any phone that did not support emoji and lacked features such as 1seg TV would not be appreciated in Japan, no matter the maker. Western markets have little need for such things and they LOVE the iPhone. You're here on a Nigerian website, talking to people who have westernized values about what japanese people want?

I'm not sure what prompted your frankly stupid statement on Symbian's marketshare in Japan. Symbian is not Nokia. As it stands, Nokia branded phones in Japan hold about 1% marketshare in JApan, hence Nokia's decision to pull out completely.

I've noticed how condescending you sound when you refer to things other people do that do not appeal to you. People queued up to buy a gadget they liked. As far as you're concerned, that makes them 'jobless'. I once mentioned i use my Iphone to play games when i'm bored only for you to launch into the 'games are childish' speech.
How old are you, anyway?

And yes, you're a troll. We know you settled for an E71 because the iPhone was too expensive for your taste. All fine and good, and i agree the E71 is an excellent phone. So why do you need reassurance for your purchase? Why hop around on threads like these doing your best to sneer at the device you failed to get?
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by flyuche(m): 2:13am On Mar 06, 2009
texazzpete:

More apt to say any phone that did not support emoji and lacked features such as 1seg TV would not be appreciated in Japan, no matter the maker. Western markets have little need for such things and they LOVE the iPhone. You're here on a Nigerian website, talking to people who have westernized values about what japanese people want?
this is a general discussion on the iphone, good or bad. no be your papa invent the iphone. is the iphone in any way nigerian?

texazzpete:

I'm not sure what prompted your frankly stupid statement on Symbian's marketshare in Japan. Symbian is not Nokia. As it stands, Nokia branded phones in Japan hold about 1% marketshare in JApan, hence Nokia's decision to pull out completely.
Nokia didn't pull out of Japan, their Vertu brand of phones are selling. nokia is not the only symbian phone maker. panansonic, sharp, nec, mitsubitshi,fujitsu etc that dominate the japanese market make symbian phones.

texazzpete:

I've noticed how condescending you sound when you refer to things other people do that do not appeal to you. People queued up to buy a gadget they liked. As far as you're concerned, that makes them 'jobless'. I once mentioned i use my Iphone to play games when i'm bored only for you to launch into the 'games are childish' speech.
How old are you, anyway?
And yes, you're a troll. We know you settled for an E71 because the iPhone was too expensive for your taste. All fine and good, and i agree the E71 is an excellent phone. So why do you need reassurance for your purchase? Why hop around on threads like these doing your best to sneer at the device you failed to get?
old enough to be your dad. frankly. and you think you don't sound condescending and stupid when any comment about the iphone you take personal?
is money the issue here? i make enough money i can pay your ass thru a british university.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by texazzpete(m): 7:21am On Mar 06, 2009
flyuche:

this is a general discussion on the iphone, good or bad. no be your papa invent the iphone. is the iphone in any way nigerian?
Nokia didn't pull out of Japan, their Vertu brand of phones are selling. nokia is not the only symbian phone maker. panansonic, sharp, nec, mitsubitshi,fujitsu etc that dominate the japanese market make symbian phones.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE4AQ1K620081127

TOKYO (Reuters) - Nokia, the world's biggest mobile phone maker, said on Thursday it will stop selling mobile phones in Japan except for its luxury Vertu brand after struggling to expand its presence.

Japan is the world's fourth largest mobile phone market after the United States, China and India. But it makes up only a tiny part of sales at Nokia, whose products have failed to lure customers away from more sophisticated Japanese ones.

Mobile phone companies also see limited scope for growth in Japan, where 109 million subscribers, or some 85 percent of the population, already own a mobile phone. In addition, a new sales model based on higher handset prices is expected to slash annual mobile phone sales in Japan by some 20 percent.
The quirks of Japan's mobile phone market have prevented foreign companies, including Nokia's rivals such as Samsung Electronics and LG, from successfully targeting Japanese consumers.

Most of the mobile phones used in Japan are part of third-generation networks and boast features such as TV broadcasting and electronic payment functions.

This makes it tough for foreign manufacturers to compete with domestic handsets.

Foreign companies, excluding Sony Ericsson, only occupy around 5 percent of Japan's mobile phone market, according to IDC Japan, a research firm. Japanese manufacturers, in turn, have only a small presence outside their home market.

The point there is that non-japanese companies struggle mightily to sell Phones in Japan. AS the article says, japanese phone have long had many advanced features not found in western targeted phones. As far as the average Japanese user is concerned, things like live TV and emoji are non-negotiable killer apps in any phone.

I find it funny that you who have claimed in the past to have been in Japan are apparently oblivious to this fact. Or were you just lying? You take a general issue Japanese consumers have with 99% of western designed mobile phones and paint it as if it's a drawback to the iPhone. What does that make you?
At this stage, either you lied about being in japan/Asia or you're just up to your typical trollish pranks.

flyuche:

old enough to be your dad. frankly. and you think you don't sound condescending and stupid when any comment about the iphone you take personal?
is money the issue here? i make enough money i can pay your ass thru a british university.

As someone in his late twenties, 'old enough to be my dad' puts you in at least your 40s. So what the hell is a 40 year old geezer doing trolling on an online log? And why do you always fail to show the wisdom and experience that advanced age is supposed to bring you?
You've consistently showed reasoning ability on par with a teenager. Please for your own sake kindly keep your age to yourself.

As for the money angle, please don't make me laugh. I could afford to pay my way through a 'british university' since i stepped out of NYSC 4 years ago.
please refer to my earlier comments about showing your age in your arguments.

flyuche:

Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by cabali(m): 7:28am On Mar 06, 2009
@ Tex

Do you really think it is profitable to argue and school this flyuche character? The guy is detached from reasoning and intelligence.

I mean it is known all over the forum.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by logica(m): 7:55am On Mar 06, 2009
txpete, i'm about 2 send u an email,
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by flyuche(m): 12:21pm On Mar 06, 2009
lets continue the discussion. @ tex. that your reuters ref is not necessary. i was not comparing the iphone to nokia.stop being bitter. this your iphone no de give you joy at all grin your badĀ  belle too much.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by cabali(m): 12:28pm On Mar 06, 2009
@ FLYUCHE

with all what you have heard about the iPhone, you gats to let go of that boring nokia and get one.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by texazzpete(m): 1:12pm On Mar 06, 2009
flyuche:

lets continue the discussion. @ tex. that your reuters ref is not necessary. i was not comparing the iphone to nokia.stop being bitter. this your iphone no de give you joy at all grin your bad belle too much.

Ah, i see you've backtracked from 'i'm older and richer than you' to your normal self. A wise choice indeed.
au contraire, mon ami. my iPhone gives me great joy indeed. Why else would i have just bought an iPhone 3G? Why else would i bench my once-vaunted HTC TyTN, that i bought for the then princely sum of 130k?
You don't see me hanging out on Nokia threads, hating on Nokia phones. But you're here, on an iPhone thread, taking time out to scour the internet for negative news about the device. So which of us do you think paints the picture of dissatisfaction?
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by cabali(m): 1:17pm On Mar 06, 2009
well, I think, with all he has done and still does, fly has more passion for the iPhone than any hater I know.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by flyuche(m): 4:18pm On Mar 06, 2009
cabali:

well, I think, with all he has done and still does, fly has more passion for the iPhone than any hater I know.
thanks for the compliment.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by cabali(m): 5:44pm On Mar 16, 2009
yeah no probs; it's free!
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 16, 2009
Dude am a nokia fanboy to death but to be all honest.the Iphone is a master piece of work.ave never seen when a firmware wud be such a big deal,iphone games make ngage look like shit.the only hope nokia has is to intergrate a new UI.which it will (Qt).sooner or later iphone share in the mobile world is gonna increase.apple is the leader others are followers.1st they reinvented multitouch and changed the way of digital downloadable content Appstore.now that's disruptive innovation.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by coolniger: 3:00pm On Mar 17, 2009
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by ExInferis(m): 5:09pm On Mar 18, 2009
@Texazzpete

earlier we were having a conversation on phone on the iphone 3.0 software. i couldnt hear you clearly cos i was using (believe it or not) a Nokia N95 8gb. as you well know, the N95s of this world arent really killer on earpiece quality.

so, like i was saying i never thought the 3.0 update was in any way, shape or form meant to level things up on par with the Palm Pre. for one thing the hardware of the existing iphone may need rehaul especially the screen (like better power consumption, more pixels and pixel density, etc), better radios (especially HSDPA in the 7.2mbps range, and bluetooth 2.1) given the recent improvement in power efficiency and the fact that the iphone has 10 radios already inside all working off that Li-ion battery.

as the palm pre was crafted from scratch so would a new iphone. of course, one would expect improvements and embellishments in the Iphone OS X particularly at the Darwin kernel. sort of a [b]Iphone OS X 2 "Leopard" [/b]or some other damn big cat.

and then the PowerVR chip as well as the infineon processors would all need to be upgraded.

if the recent rumor of an imminent Apple Netbook is true, one can be fairly certain a new mobile version of Iphone OS X is in the offing, perhaps better optimized for background processes (which i expect in the next iphone).

the advent of 3.0 doesnt mean a new iphone isnt in the horizon: 2.0 software was released almost the same time as the iphone 3G.

given the crippling of some features in the classic iphone (MMS, A2DP) one can fairly well posit that apple is breathing life into the 3G before contract expiry next year (convenient!) while slowly killing off support for the iphone classic ala Power PC/G series. (remember Snow Leopard wont run on PPC architectures, so Carbon is going bye bye finally!)

i quite agree with you that the official claim by Scott Forstall that the iphone classic's hardware cant support MMS and A2DP (even though the iphone has a bluetooth 2.0 radio!) is hogwash.

they want everyone else to move up to iphone 3G before officially killing support for the original iphone.

i expect the announcement of a new Iphone OS X at WWDC later this year, with the unveiling of the new iphone early next year.

MY TAKE ON 3.0
-----------------------------

copy paste was well done as presented yesterday (the quicktime stream is available). but to me the best feature is the new SDK and of course landscape input.

Push notification is also fine and good except i dont expect it to work in non-official countries/Carriers given that the notification server and constant link window will be maintained by apple, utilizing the carriers' wireless data network.

meanwhile a big deal is made of the lack of background processes; but lets figure this out: if you can exit the ipod app and still have music playing, or going to the home screen and typing notes when on a call, arent these processes running in the background?

meanwhile that Voice Memo thingy looks silly.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by hancock(m): 5:27pm On Mar 18, 2009
Ex has spoken grin grin
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by Nobody: 7:19pm On Mar 18, 2009
Apple stole my words from the event.mind those features were few of the rest that were to come.i love the copy n paste function.i can and will only say this There's no such thing as an iphone killer.whats makes the iphone isn't the wow factor but the services.to think of it apple just has one phone,but it's power is in the operating system. That SpotLIGHT kills anything i've ever seen.am a Nokia Fan boy but i'll tell you these Nokia sales are dependent on Hype such as 5800.iphone killer pls not even pre not even omnia you can have as much hardware but the power is in the software utilizing them.nokia got omap but won't use it.Also the N97 is no iphone killer it's a big HYPE.no symbian phone will take on mac osx unless they change the os and UI.so to all nokia fan boys including me the word IPHONE KILLER doesn't exist.omnia is symbian so nothing special except strong hardwares that'll never be used.remember ngage and 3d chip.still in the wind.Goals apple=good services Nokia=increase market share.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by flyuche(m): 10:58pm On Mar 18, 2009
the apple Iphone is a beta product. no multitasking yet.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by ExInferis(m): 12:31pm On Mar 19, 2009
@PC Guru
exactly! Software needs to catch up. then some competitor has to cook up an SDK on par with OS X's. Xcode/Objective C, interface builder, Cocoa, Quartz etc. no be easy task o!

flyuche:

the apple Iphone is a beta product. no multitasking yet.

like we really need it. most of the reason for parking two apps simultaneously is to copy and paste. and now, troll, we got that.
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by ExInferis(m): 12:50pm On Mar 20, 2009
my latest Apple device acquisition is an Ipod Touch 2nd Generation (8gb).

working on jailbreaking.

Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by hancock(m): 1:59pm On Mar 20, 2009
@Ex were and how much did u get ur 2nd gen ipod? my im thinking of ditching my 16GB 1st gen for the 2nd gen undecided
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by funkybaby(f): 4:36pm On Mar 20, 2009
Guys

Please can anyone upload a link or something for a non-trial version of bite SMS? Mine expires soon

Then what this sms copy and paste thing you guys are talking about? Is it possible on the iPhone?
If yes, abeg make una teach me grin

Thanks
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread by ExInferis(m): 5:06pm On Mar 20, 2009
hancock:

@Ex were and how much did u get ur 2nd gen ipod? my im thinking of ditching my 16GB 1st gen for the 2nd genĀ  undecided

$224 inc sales tax @ MacMall. 16 gigs is around $280 ex tax.

your shipping arrangements should add a lot more to the overall damage

funkybaby:

Guys

Please can anyone upload a link or something for a non-trial version of bite SMS? Mine expires soon

Then what this sms copy and paste thing you guys are talking about? Is it possible on the iPhone?
If yes, abeg make una teach me grin

Thanks

Tezz gave a link to poached byteSMS.

copy and paste is coming by way of the 3.0 software update scheduled for summer (so keep your eyes peeled from june!)

also coming are:

1. Landscape keyboard in SMS, Notes, Mail etc.
2. Notes sync to PC
3. MMS support (only in iphone 3G)
4. A2DP (stereo output to bluetooth audio devices, also only in 3G)
5. Spotlight Search (global search just like in Macs or Vista).
6. New app, Voice Memo
7. redesigned user Interface in some places
8. Push notification (sort of a poor man's multitasking environment)
9. Peer to peer networking via bluetooth (hopefully someone on Cydia will code a file sharing app).
10. Ubiquitous mail app
11. Multiple photo attachment in mail.
12. in-game voice ( like in Xbox 360)
13. Vcard transfer via MMS and Mail
14. CalDAV for syncing calendar app with other calendars

etc etc etc

and then over 1000 APIs for Devs to play with!

oh, and rejailbreaking, re-Cydiaing, re-unlocking and re-syncing all over again!

@Tezz

to further give basis to swirling rumors of an impending new iphone, AT&T is offering, starting next week, contract-free Sim unlocked iphone 3Gs for around $600 and above.

clearing out sales?

me think so.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Perfect Guide In Buying Android Phone That Will Best Suit You / UK Used Phones For Sale Samsung & iPhone Discount Price ( Ikeja Price ) / How To Fix "Storage Space Running Out" Problem Of Android Device..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.