Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,294 members, 7,839,441 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:16 PM

29 Tweets Smash Western Media Hypocritical Criticism Of Nigerian Govt. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 29 Tweets Smash Western Media Hypocritical Criticism Of Nigerian Govt. (817 Views)

Ijaws: The Most Hypocritical (we Niger Delta) / Buhari: Selfish Elite Behind Criticism Of My Appointments / Nigerian Govt. Lied, UN Meeting It Failed To Attend Not “Unofficial” - PremiumT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

29 Tweets Smash Western Media Hypocritical Criticism Of Nigerian Govt. by nku5: 10:15pm On Dec 29, 2014
Some twitter warrior rips the western media's viewpoint on the Nigerian Government to pieces in 29 Bullet Points.

1. My next few tweets are directed at Western journalists/analysts & Westerners with interest in Nigeria.

2. There is a narrative that is gaining traction in the West, promoted by Western media outlets it is very divisive within Nigeria.

3. The narrative goes like this "Nigeria's South is impoverishing the North - especially under President Jonathan". This is not true.

4. I'm going to disprove this with facts, so that going forward, Europeans & North Americans have a more nuanced view of Nigeria.

5. With the exception of Lagos, all governments in Nigeria (federal, state & local) cannot run without crude oil revenues.

6. With the exception of oil producing states (that obtain 13% derivation from oil production), revenues are distributed based on a formula

7. Major components of that revenue allocation formula are 1. population and 2. land mass - both favour the North.

8. A combination of Kano & Jigawa - 2 out of the 7 states in Nigeria's NW have 67 LGAs, the entire SE has 95.

9. I need to attack a narrative promoted by foreign media - especially CNN & BBC, that "Abuja has neglected the North East".

10. My case study will be Borno State, the epicenter of Boko Haram - if any foreign journalist disagrees let him/her present facts.

11. According to Nigeria's finance minister FAAC allocation to Borno State was N94bn.

12. What this means is that Borno receives more from the federation account than oil producing states like Ondo, Imo & Abia.

13. Borno receives $587.5m from Abuja, this is more than Togo's budget - $551.5m. Togo has a higher literacy rate.

14. Borno has a relative low literacy rate - & contrary to the CNN narrative, Nigeria's history didn't start in 2011.

15. Borno has received/and continues to receive more from the federation account than Imo state - since 1970.

16. I don't want to do an analysis of human capital indices between Borno & say, Imo - the facts are out there for every one to see.

17. It is extremely important to distinguish what problems are caused by Abuja & what problems are legacies of bad governors.

18. In case BBC & CNN do not know, basic education & basic healthcare - are all state govt responsibilities. Nigeria is a federation.

19. If literacy rates in a state have been consistently low - Abuja has a responsibility, but primary responsibility lies with the state.

20. The state governor also has a responsibility to grow the economy of the state - few governors like Cross River, actually do this.

21. This is not to say that Abuja doesn't have any responsibility for the situation North East - but the picture is more nuanced.

22. Abuja has failed at guaranteeing security, but what factors led to a climate of religious extremism & insecurity?

23. The truth is that successive local administrators in Borno state failed to invest in human capital - over the past 53 years & before.

24. Are local administrators in other parts of Nigeria significantly better than in Borno - debatable, but culture also plays a role here.

25. Instead of a genuine debate on the problems in Nigeria - foreign news media is promoting a divisive narrative.

26. Gullible (or malevolent), foreign journalists are promoting an agenda that doesn't help Nigeria confront its real issues.

27. Nigeria has issues with governance - at all levels. And these issues will not simply be dealt with by merely throwing money at them.

28. Simply put, Nigeria's internal political architecture needs to be restructured, governors need to be more accountable.

29. Here endeth the lesson.

3 Likes

Re: 29 Tweets Smash Western Media Hypocritical Criticism Of Nigerian Govt. by theSpark(m): 11:06pm On Dec 29, 2014
Nice..

Numbers don't lie. I believe that each state should be judged based on the following criteria:

Population
Income (Faac, IGR)
Human Development Indices

It is only then that all sentimental falsehoods peddled up and down will be put to shame.

I will also like to add that when comparing states it is best to use the periods 1999-date. The Borno and Imo of 1970 may not be the Borno and Imo state of today owing to state creation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 29 Tweets Smash Western Media Hypocritical Criticism Of Nigerian Govt. by suwailad(f): 11:35pm On Dec 29, 2014
nku5
show screenshots of the tweets or you are just another pathetic liar
Re: 29 Tweets Smash Western Media Hypocritical Criticism Of Nigerian Govt. by nku5: 8:19am On Dec 30, 2014
suwailad:
nku5
show screenshots of the tweets or you are just another pathetic liar

Liar say wetin? I could easily claim to be the writer of this brilliant demolition job but I have not. Abeg give me your opinion on the 29 missiles and quit yapping
Re: 29 Tweets Smash Western Media Hypocritical Criticism Of Nigerian Govt. by major466(m): 9:47am On Dec 30, 2014
The amount of lies being spread by the west against GEJ's government is mind boggling. The lie I find to be particularly very ridiculous is that Southern Nigeria are impoverishing the North. This perhaps (Apart from the so-called incorruptibility of Buhari) is one of the biggest lies of the century. The North by virtue of the number of local government areas (As a result of Cheating and Injustice Injustice) receive the largest share of federal allocations than any other region in Nigeria.
Northern leaders have looted and kept their own citizens in poverty and slavery. Until Northern citizens rise up against this evil, their governors will continue to keep them engrossed in perpetual poverty for their own selfish aim.

(1) (Reply)

Obj's Book 'my Watch' / 2015: Peter Obi, Fani-kayode, Jerry Gana Appointed Jonathan’s Campaign Directors / Governor Fayose Explodes: Presidential Contest A Do-or-die Affair, Advocates Use

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.