Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? (7301 Views)

Super Eagles Team Arrives Kaduna (photos) / Nigerian Ambassador To South Africa Hosts Super Eagles Team At His House. Pics / This Is How The Next Super Eagles Team Should Be (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by asha80(m): 12:34am On Dec 17, 2008
No painstaking that team was da' BOMB. Dino Zoff, Daniel Pasarella etc. wouldn't take a nap facing that team. All hail Super Eagles of USA "94"

shocked Guy na wao for you ooo!
Abeg Dino Zoff last played 4 italy in the 1982 world cup which italy won
Daniel Passarella was the captain of argentina that won 1978 world cup.He last played in mexico86

To be honest i do not think nigeria will ever get a team better than USA94 squad with way football is been run this days.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by chyk91(m): 12:59am On Dec 17, 2008
usa 94 team was d bomb, they are the best team Nigeria has ever had.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by earTHMama: 2:36am On Dec 17, 2008
Where are chidi nwanu, uche okafor and michael emenalo?. Are they still alive?
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by tkb417(m): 6:35am On Dec 17, 2008
not sure of Okafor but Nwanu and Emenalo i think are in the US
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Olaolufred(m): 7:19am On Dec 17, 2008
@Sauron,

I Still commend you for being able to Identify the close second.

However, the first ever Team remains the USA '94 Heroes.

2000 Eagle's takes 2nd position.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by HNIC(m): 7:26am On Dec 17, 2008
The USA/Tunisia '94 team was unbelievable.
We had the entire package.
The 2000 team comes very close.
Obviously why they aren't really remembered was that they lost that penalty shootout to Cameroun in the final.
If they had won, we may have been viewing them differently. tongue
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by category(m): 8:08am On Dec 17, 2008
What are u guys saying?
Una dey watch football at all?
How about the team to Ghana 2008?
Thats my 'best' Super Eagles team ever. grin grin grin
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by angelina08(f): 8:27am On Dec 17, 2008
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Nobody: 8:35am On Dec 17, 2008
Unquestionably the 94 side.

Let's use facts and figures.
The 1994 team went to the World Cup and were eliminated by Baggio's wizardry.They had won the Nations Cup in Tunisia,proving that they were by far the best,technically and skill-wise in Africa.On their way to the World Cup & Nations Cup,they made National stadium a fortress:Beat Cote d'Ivoire&Algeria4-1 each(World Cup Qualifiers).Didn't concede a goal at the tournament till the Semi-Final against Cote d'Ivoire.
The 2000 squad couldn't even win the nations cup in their backyard.They had to claw their way back from 2-nil against Cameroun,and couldn't find that extra thing to win the game before the lottery of the penalty shoot-out.You might say we beat Cote d'Ivoire on the same penalty shoot out in CAN94 semi,but we dominated that game and missed a hatful of chances.
Before Cameroun,Senegal made us sweat.At the same National Stadium.

There really isn't any basis for comparison between the two teams.If there is a team that can lay claim as the greatest,it's the 78-80 Green Eagles.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by tkb417(m): 8:40am On Dec 17, 2008
Unquestionably the 94 side.

Let's use facts and figures.
The 1994 team went to the World Cup and were eliminated by Baggio's wizardry.They had won the Nations Cup in Tunisia,proving that they were by far the best,technically and skill-wise in Africa.On their way to the World Cup & Nations Cup,they made National stadium a fortress:Beat Cote d'Ivoire&Algeria4-1 each(World Cup Qualifiers).Didn't concede a goal at the tournament till the Semi-Final against Cote d'Ivoire.
The 2000 squad couldn't even win the nations cup in their backyard.They had to claw their way back from 2-nil against Cameroun,and couldn't find that extra thing to win the game before the lottery of the penalty shoot-out.You might say we beat Cote d'Ivoire on the same penalty shoot out in CAN94 semi[b],but we dominated that game and missed a hatful of chances.[/b]Before Cameroun,Senegal made us sweat.At the same National Stadium.

There really isn't any basis for comparison between the two teams.If there is a team that can lay claim as the greatest,it's the 78-80 Green Eagles.

yes o. rashidi yekini was the greatest culprit on that day

70-80 eagles didnt go to the world cup!
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Jarus(m): 8:57am On Dec 17, 2008
Even in soccer forums and analyses around the world, Nigeria's 94 team's feat is still being easily quoted as a reference point in good football. Ghanaians and Liberians easily tell us in their soccer forums that '' we are talking about your current Super Chickens, not your 94 team".

In Bigsoccer forum, Nigeria's 94 team, alongside Cameroun's 90 and Senegal 2002, were listed among the TOP 5 African WC team of all time.

This team was just too much!!!
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by carmelily: 9:09am On Dec 17, 2008
USA 94 Team. No argument. After they lost to Italy because of the Eguavon foul, i lost all taste for Naija football till date. Well, Atlanta '96 almost tempted me back!

All hail The Eagles "94 cheesy
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by akinalabi(m): 10:03am On Dec 17, 2008
angelina08:

I think Emenalo is a Chelsea scout or has he been sacked?

I need people to join me to support the 1980 team.  grin

I think it was more complete than the 1994 team. The 1994
team had full back problems. Egu (a natural midfirelder) was
a make make shift right back.

Iroha, the super left back was always injured. I think he played
only one match at the world cup, against Bulgaria. His replacement,
Mike Emenalo was far from convincing.

The centre of the midfield wasn't too convincing as well even
though Oliseh was fine. Sia Sia, a striker, had to play in front
of Oliseh in the playmaking role.

But the 1980 team had it all. . .
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by MrCrackles(m): 10:10am On Dec 17, 2008
What about Richard Owubokiri?

Gbenga Okunowo who used to play for Barcelona was on trial with a team in my league a few weeks ago, i heard this from one of the boys i play with.

Northwich Victoria is the team by the way and they play in the Conference North League of England
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Jarus(m): 10:32am On Dec 17, 2008
No painstaking that team was da' BOMB. Dino Zoff, Daniel Pasarella etc. wouldn't take a nap facing that team. All hail Super Eagles of USA "94"
asha 80:

shocked Guy na wao for you ooo!
Abeg Dino Zoff last played 4 italy in the 1982 world cup which italy won
Daniel Passarella was the captain of argentina that won 1978 world cup.He last played in mexico86
Thanks for identifying the guy's gaffe jare. That was how somebody was also telling me Zola and Mutu played together in Chelsea!!!
I'm not very versed in football analysis, started watching FB less than 15 years ago, but I recognize 'quack' analysts.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by zukkymike(m): 10:55am On Dec 17, 2008
category:

What are u guys saying?
Una dey watch football at all?
How about the team to Ghana 2008?
Thats my 'best' Super Eagles team ever. grin grin grin

How old are you?
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Nobody: 11:29am On Dec 17, 2008
tkb,
Yes the 78-80 team missed the world cup.
But they won the first Nations Cup for Naija.
You have to reckon with them and what they achieved.I'm using results as a tool.
I believe they were good.Even better than 2000.
Furo Iyenemi(almost scored an own goal against Cameroun in the final CAN2000),Chukwu Ndukwe(Mr. Miss-it)
Washed up Celestine Babayaro (messed up in the final by Lauren Etame)
Benedict Akwuegbu (Mr. I can't get into the 18-yard box to even score)
Those guys can't stand near the class of 94.
Okocha wasn't even a regular in 94.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by disease(m): 12:15pm On Dec 17, 2008
The best Super Eagles team is either the Tunisia 1994 or Ghana/Nigeria 2000 teams.
The two are just too good its hard to make a decision.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by kemisuga(f): 12:50pm On Dec 17, 2008
Hmmmmmmmmmmmn Football Fans. wink wink wink
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by carmelily: 1:56pm On Dec 17, 2008
zukkymike:

How old are you?

@zukky, God bless you, jare. That was the question that came to my mind when i read [b]category'[/b]s post cheesy. i just assumed he was being funny.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by zelaws: 2:46pm On Dec 17, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
guy abegiu make una file!!!!!!!!!! 4 usa '94 team
them be d best
finidi was world best no 7 den
okocha was at his prime.,so was kanu,yekini and d rest of them all
give it up for the, ,
DREAM TEAM USA'94 EAGLES D BEST EVER

kanu is not of part usa 94 here is the team list
Peter Rufai
Augustine Eguavoen
Ben Iroha
Stephen Keshi
Uche Okechukwu
Chidi Nwanu
Finidi George
Thompson Oliha
Rashidi Yekini
Augustine 'Jay-Jay' Okocha
Emmanuel Amunike
Samson Siasia
Emeka Ezeugo
Daniel Amokachi
Sunday Oliseh
Alloysius Agu
Victor Ikpeba
Efan Ekoku
Michael Emenalo
Uchenna Okafor
Mutiu Adepoju
Wilfred Agbonavbare
Coach: Clemens Westerhof
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by aceman(m): 3:56pm On Dec 17, 2008
The '94 team is the best in my opinion. Even leading to the nations cup, they were invincible. I always pity our opponents. It was a sad day when they lost in the world cup. That team worked like a well oiled machine. However, I felt the initial successes inn the world cup got into their head and everyone wanted to outshine others. In fact, I felt Yekini was starved of balls he could have scored,

All in all, I doff my hat for the great '94 squad.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by gentlegg(m): 5:07pm On Dec 17, 2008
Frankly US/TUNISIA 94 team remains the best ever I've watched.

Please which team/year is Henry Nwosu from?
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by goodass(m): 6:07pm On Dec 17, 2008
henry Nwosu was on d 1988 team to Maroc CAN. datz anoda team hot lyk d 94 set. d semis against algeria was classic. i can rmbr pple lyk

nwosu

ndubuisi okosieme

rasheed yekini

sammy okwaraji

sunday ebigbe

yisa shofoluwe

lost 2 cameroun in d finals afta henry nwosu's header was denied.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Emperoh(m): 9:53pm On Dec 17, 2008
I think we are over looking the Dream Team 1
Maybe because they were not called Super Eagles then
But you know that they were a fall out of the USA 94 squad
Okocha, Siasia, etc

while most of them formed the nucleus of the 2000 team
Only God knows what Bora Milutinovic did with these bunch of stars in 1998 . . . . . .
He and the stupid Nazi coach where bad news to the national side. . . . they are the worst to have handled our national side
even Ladan Bosso is better

Can we still build a team as strong as the 94 side? Maybe the dream team 4 can be as good if they can imbibe the discipline and guile of the 94 side
And the creativity and depth of the 2000 side. . . . .
or even the guys that won in Korea. . .

But all in all, the 1994 squad holds it for me. . . .inexperience and politics killed us off in the world cup
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by ndumart: 10:10pm On Dec 17, 2008
Peter Rufai
Ruben Agboola
Ben Iroha
Sunday Oliseh
Christian Chukwu
Taribo West
Finidi George
Daniel Amokachi
Rashidi Yekini
Austin Okocha
Emmanuel Amuneke
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Baro(m): 10:15pm On Dec 17, 2008
U.S.A 94 Team still remains the best ever. A team that could afford to bench D Prince of Monaco(Victor Ikpeba), Efan Ikoku, Jay Okocha, Mike Emenalo etc; a Super Eagles team that had another Super Eagles team as bench.

Or is it in terms of discipline, team spirit, commitment, experience, skill? They had it all

@ Sharon, the 2000 boyz were good too but comparatively 94 team remains unrivalled. Maybe u should draw a table of both teams and compare them player for player/ wing for wing. Isnt the difference just clear?
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by markos: 9:10am On Dec 18, 2008
1994 team all the way, that line up was awesome amokachi, oliseh, amuneke,finidi, yekini, okocha, adepoju, siasia, damn
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by cooljoe(m): 10:43am On Dec 18, 2008
Without a shadow of doubt, the team that played in USA 94 is the best.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by otokx(m): 11:27am On Dec 18, 2008
There is no comparison; USA 94 is the best for now.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Kongi(m): 7:31pm On Dec 18, 2008
There is only one team that can win this.
Take a bow Super Eagles class of 1994.
Very few teams have played with such skill, strength, panache, passion and confidence.
Everybody playing against us FEARED us!
Never have my Eagles filled me with such confidence than in 1994. We went into every match KNOWING that we would win no matter who the opponents were!
Eagles of 2000?
HELL NO!
Maroc 88 Eagles were a joy to watch as well but your heart was always in your mouth.
This would never happen with the 1994 team.

Quote from: zukkymike on Yesterday at 10:55:45 AM
How old are you?

Thank you o zukky!

You took the words right out of my keyboard!
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by AloyEmeka9: 7:44pm On Dec 18, 2008

Chidi Nwanu is now a pastor in Belgium

Uche Okafor took to business and now lives in Dallas Texas with his family

Michael Emenalo is a scout for Chelsea and operates from the states too.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ex-Super Eagles Coach, Rohr Pens Three-Year Contract With Benin Republic / Amodu Shuaibu Returns As Eagle's Technical Director / Osimhen, Oshoala, Ighalo, Boniface Nominated For Dubai Globe Soccer Awards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.