Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,627 members, 7,851,112 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:38 PM

Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 (4198 Views)

Rate Buhari's Govt On A Scale Of 1-10 / Buhari’s First Speech After The Military Coup Of 31st December 1983 / IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by Nobody: 3:58pm On Dec 31, 2014
Bayswater:
I remember this day in 1983 as a very sad day. That was the day my father was whisked off by Buhari's political army. I did not get to see him until 18 - 20months later.

Himself and some other cabinet members of the ruling NPN were all picked up from Green Springs Hotel in Ibadan.

The level of indiscriminate arrest and killing carried out by Buhari and his goons at that time is something else. I'm sure Buhari will get his judgement on earth and in heaven.

It is really funny that Buhari now wants to benefit from democracy that he truncated.

He must be high on cocaine!
Who is/was your father and let us dig up his since from the archive. Muhammadu Buhari did what was patriotic and commendable. Btw: who and who did the government of Buhari kill?
Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by jmaine: 3:59pm On Dec 31, 2014
PassingShot:

His continued stay would have been better for Nigeria as events after his overthrow has revealed. Only the bigoted ones would believe otherwise because many who have been sincere now wish that the era of 80's (especially Buhari's) is back with us.

This is pure unadulterated bullshyte . . . Imagine the nonsence . . . The APC may as well advocate for a life Presidency for Buhari

What a disgrace . . . .

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by PassingShot(m): 4:11pm On Dec 31, 2014
jmaine:

This is pure unadulterated bullshyte . . . Imagine the nonsence . . . The APC may as well advocate for a life Presidency for Buhari

What a disgrace . . . .

Your hyperventilating does not affect my personal opinion. I experienced Buhari's regime and even though I didn't like his rulership then, succeeding governments have made a Buhari democratic administration desirable this time around.

If you hate my stand on this, there should be a transformer around you, or a bridge close to you, or even a river not too far.
Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by jmaine: 4:17pm On Dec 31, 2014
PassingShot:

Your hyperventilating does not affect my personal opinion. I experienced Buhari's regime and even though I didn't like his rulership then, succeeding governments have made a Buhari democratic administration desirable this time around.

If you hate my stand on this, there should be a transformer around you, or a bridge close to you, or even a river not too far.

Your useless personal opinion shouldn't be permitted and encouraged, imagine a presumed "agent of change" emitting jargons in support of an appalling era of Military dictatorship.

I can imagine APC fanatics like you vigorously advocating Buhari becomes a life president. Well, the good news is that he is an exemplary failure and it will continue to be so.

3 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by idumuose(m): 4:31pm On Dec 31, 2014
jmaine:

Your useless personal opinion shouldn't be permitted and encouraged, imagine a presumed "agent of change" emitting jargons in support of an appalling era of Military dictatorship.

I can imagine APC fanatics like you vigorously advocating Buhari becomes a life president. Well, the good news is that he is an exemplary failure and it will continue to be so.
100000000000000000000000000000 likes

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by Bayswater: 4:42pm On Dec 31, 2014
barcanista:
Who is/was your father and let us dig up his since from the archive. Muhammadu Buhari did what was patriotic and commendable. Btw: who and who did the government of Buhari kill?

Patriotic? Dude don't dabble into what you know nothing about.

My dad ain't no Nigerian politician or businessman, so there's nothing to dig about him lol.

A lot of people were arrested just for knowing people in government. Some died in detention, some made it out alive but their lives never remained the same.

For example, a man was visiting Nigeria at Xmas in 1983, he was arrested with the lot.

What was his sin? His bro is a cabinet member, he lives abroad and owns a house in Central London. Their grouse: how can a Nigerian have a house abroad?

Buhari and his henchmen were so primitive that they do not know that people living abroad rarely pay cash for properties. They never believed any Nigerian could afford a house abroad legitimately. They were that shallow. smiley

I know you're a Buhari supporter, if you know what these people do in the dark; you'd stay away from core politicians.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by major466(m): 4:54pm On Dec 31, 2014
Exactly 31 years ago, Buhari declared war on Democracy.
As we mark the 31 years Anniversary of Buhari's Military Coup we should bear in mind that the Worst Democratic regime is a thousand times better than the Best Military Government. If not for that evil coup, Nigeria today would have been rubbing shoulders with the likes of US, Britain, Canada and Australia in terms of advancement in Principles and Ideologies of Democracy and the rule of law. We can't afford to lead Nigeria slip again.
Those who fail to learn through History will have history repeat itself to teach them a bitter lesson.

2 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by Nobody: 5:00pm On Dec 31, 2014
idumuose:
It is an irony that this man who truncated democracy exactly 31 years ago is back benefit from the democracy he so loathed.This is Nigeria where anything goes.

In a sane society,this man would be serving a life jail.

Unfortunately, he truncated the best democratic era in the Nigerian history.

That dispensation achieved much for Nigerians.

Think of Mbakwe's achievements for the old IMO state. Jakende's achievement in Lagos state, etc.

3 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 31, 2014
PassingShot:

I laugh in Swahili grin grin grin

World Bank source is not credible according to jonaTANian grin grin

If the World Bank's report that told us that Abacha stole is credible, then buhari that defends Abacha's loot is a Bloody LIAR and should not be taken seriously in all its ramifications.
He is not credible

3 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by major466(m): 5:16pm On Dec 31, 2014
idumuose:

You think all past heads of state are as gullible as Buhari? Didn't Obasanjo stage a come back? Look at the mess he put us into.By the way if Abdusalami decides to contest election tomorrow will you stone him.

Besides,Abdusalami has more credibilty than Buhari in the sense that he handed over power to a democratically elected govt. Abdusalami is an Ecowas,OAU and Un envoy.

Has the international community ever asked Buhari to embark on a journey to a troubled country in order to broker a peace deal on it's behalf? The answer is capital no.

The best Buhari can do now is to open an islamic school or apply for a teaching job in any of the islamic schools dotted all over the north west.
grin grin grin I nearly spilled my Zobo drink grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by Nobody: 5:27pm On Dec 31, 2014
Bayswater:

Patriotic? Dude don't dabble into what you know nothing about.

My dad ain't no Nigerian politician or businessman, so there's nothing to dig about him lol.

A lot of people were arrested just for knowing people in government. Some died in detention, some made it out alive but their lives never remained the same.

For example, a man was visiting Nigeria at Xmas in 1983, he was arrested with the lot.

What was his sin? His bro is a cabinet member, he lives abroad and owns a house in Central London. Their grouse: how can a Nigerian have a house abroad?

Buhari and his henchmen were so primitive that they do not know that people living abroad rarely pay cash for properties. They never believed any Nigerian could afford a house abroad legitimately. They were that shallow. smiley

I know you're a Buhari supporter, if you know what these people do in the dark; you'd stay away from core politicians.
You don't expect me to believe this, do you? Try cook something "sweeter"
Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by simpleseyi: 5:30pm On Dec 31, 2014
idumuose:
It is an irony that this man who truncated democracy exactly 31 years ago is back benefit from the democracy he so loathed.This is Nigeria where anything goes.

In a sane society,this man would be serving a life jail.

Buhari thought Shagari was corrupt that was why he overthrew Shagari. Now, he have a looter, an unrepentant thief and a chronic drunk siphoning our oyel money. Sanusi Lamido said $48 billion was missing, FG said it was only $20 billion missing, later Okojo Iwealla said it was just $10 billion missing but according to Oshiomhole $30 billion is missing. This same Jonathan has just awarded 9.2 billion naira for the purchase of cooking stoves for rural women, what a thieving clown!

Can you now see why Buhari should overthrow this thieving government through the ballot boxes consisting of the masses votes?
Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by Nobody: 5:40pm On Dec 31, 2014
simpleseyi:

[b]Buhari thought Shagari was corrupt that was why he overthrew Shagari. [/b]Now, he have a looter, an unrepentant thief and a chronic drunk siphoning our oyel money. Sanusi Lamido said $48 billion was missing, FG said it was only $20 billion missing, later Okojo Iwealla said it was just $10 billion missing but according to Oshiomhole $30 billion is missing. This same Jonathan has just awarded 9.2 billion naira for the purchase of cooking stoves for rural women, what a thieving clown!

Can you now see why Buhari should overthrow this thieving government through the ballot boxes consisting of the masses votes?

You see the high level of backwardness you display. So he had no facts and proofs of Shagari's purported corruption? So he was listening to market women's gossip?

What do you call a man that acts without proofs and facts especially when his actions affect over 80 million people?

2 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by Bayswater: 5:57pm On Dec 31, 2014
barcanista:
You don't expect me to believe this, do you? Try cook something "sweeter"

You don't have to believe me.

2 Likes

Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by najoke: 6:08pm On Dec 31, 2014
Mmmm…….. I like this thread, tomorrow is Jan 1st…..we will discuss GEJ new year subsidy gift to nigerians.

Make una enjoy una self well well o!

Happy New Yr in advance to my progressive peeps and also to [size=3pt]my TANdriods robots peeps
[/size]
Re: Muhammadu Buhari Overthrows Shagari's Govt On This Day The 31st December 1983 by eagleeye2: 6:22pm On Dec 31, 2014
PassingShot:

Maybe he would have and maybe he would have not, we wouldn't know that and we can only talk about what we know.

His continued stay would have been better for Nigeria as events after his overthrow have revealed. Only the bigoted ones would believe otherwise because many who have been sincere now wish that the era of 80's (especially Buhari's) is back with us.

And don't talk about AbdulSalami please. He agreed to handing over in order to keep his loots and save the battered image of the military of then. If he made any plan of not living, he would have been overthrown as well.
Buhari was and is still the bigotted one.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bye Bye To APC: Tinubu To Be Expelled By Party Leadership? / Buhari In Japan: IPOB Attacks Adesina, Dares Him On President’s Whereabouts / Why Is Arise Tv No Longer Airing On Gotv And Dstv?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.