Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,935 members, 7,817,726 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote (25645 Views)

Trump-things Will Be Very Different By January 20 After Latest UN Vote On Isreal / North Korea 'fires Missiles' Into Sea Hours After UN Vote / Wow!!! You Must See Netanyahu’s Gift To The Palestinians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by FlexTrex: 8:54am On Jan 02, 2015
Mortiple:

What didn't you understand? It's another attempt to discredit GEJ; more like giving a dog bad name in order to hang it.

I am undecided on who to vote for up till now. However the approach adopted by supporters of both parties here on NL may do them more harm than good.

@Mortiple, you hit it right! The HATE for Mr. President has a sinister tone to it. It is pervasive and evil.Yes Mr. President and his regime have some short comings but he isn't much diffenrent from our past leaders, heck, he is better than most. But some people hate the very sight of the man.
They debase the president, presidency and his family at every opportunity and would rather throw the country into anarchy that have him continue a day more.
I used to be undecided but these haters are swaying me in the direction of Dr. GEJ.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by knightsTempler: 8:57am On Jan 02, 2015
Hehehe

Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by samibode(m): 8:59am On Jan 02, 2015
So many Nigerians are angry that Nigeria abstained from voting in support of a UN resolution that called for the end to Israeli occupation of Palestinian territory by 2017. But what is of interest here is the Israeli Prime Minister calling Jonathan's name in the whole issue. 

Benjamin Netanyahu - בנימין נתניהו said: “I would like to voice appreciation and thanks to the United States and Australia, and also special appreciation for the president of Rwanda, my friend Paul Kagame, and the president of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan. I spoke with both of them. They told me and promised me, personally, that they would not support this resolution. They kept their word, and that’s what clinched this matter. I think this is very important for the state of Israel.”

Anyway, what is causing some argument in this matter is that the Nigerian delegation led by Professor Joy Ogwu had made everyone believe they were going to vote in favour of Palestine till the last minute when they abstained. A Palestinian said: “Even half an hour before the vote, Nigeria indicated it was committed to voting for the resolution. We knew that Rwanda, South Korea and Australia would not back it, but we believed Nigeria was on board.”

Well, my own opinion is that Nigeria abstained by not taking part in any voting, which is good because supporting either party was not of any NATIONAL INTEREST to Nigeria. But why Jonathan would promise the Israeli leader is what will hurt him back home. Why? Nigeria is split along religious lines and many Nigerians see Israel as their grandfather's village while some others love Palestine more than their hometowns because of religion (although this is all based on ignorance because there are more Muslims in Israel, a Jewish state than Christians and more Christians in Palestine than many think, in fact, Benny Hinn, the popular evangelist, is of Palestinian Christian roots, Chris Bandak, a leader of the Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades and the Tanzim, both resistance wings of the Fatah movement, currently imprisoned in Israel, is a Palestinian Christian militant) so I just imagine why Nigerians think they have any roots in either Israel or Palestine. How Ogbomoso take link to Tel Aviv? Anyway, Nigeria's decision to vote or not should always be in NATIONAL INTEREST and not what the President thinks or not. He is too divisive and should have told Netanyahu that the decision of the Nigerian delegation would depend solely on Nigeria's NATIONAL INTEREST and not tell Netanyahu that he would not support the resolution. That's nonsense and now, he will be tagged pro-Christian and anti-Muslim. Who on earth advises this guy? He doesn't think of the repercussions of his statements and actions, he just acts. Why is he always so eager to please Israel? What's his business? Nigeria should be a regional power with the ability to make decisions on global stage strictly based on national interests and not what the president decides. Jonathan was called by John Kerry US secretary of state not to support the resolution and he agreed. This same Jonathan is seen as an ally of Israel and in fact, when he was in Jerusalem last October, he had a private meeting with Netanyahu. If you are the leader of a nation like Nigeria, you should be smart enough not to do certain things, or you do not make certain things too obvious, because they will backfire. So Jonathan is now a lackey of Israel and the United States. Very sad the Nigerian leader has to be pushed around and influenced unduly, he should be firm enough to make decisions in the country's national interest and not because Netanyahu is his friend but Ebele has no bearing, period. And by the way, Netanyahu is not even a Christian, his religion is secular Judaism.
And for your info buhari and Obasanjo were the presidents dat excluded us from the OIC. But gej tot it very good for us to remain a member so he can win muslim votes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by victorazy(m): 9:05am On Jan 02, 2015
fr3do:
I ask
What would Nigeria gain from Palestine?

Temerity to kill.
Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by samibode(m): 9:06am On Jan 02, 2015
thekingsmen:
((The OIC Project) Buhari and the Islamisation Project for Nigeria
What follows below are excerpts from various weighty articles from academia. They are words not to be taken with any levity, I leave you to contribute and expand the knowledge bank, research further and make up your mind. Its chilling stuff, read on:

It is part of the history of Nigeria, that General Olusegun Obasanjo, as the successor of General Murtala had problems with pushing through, the Islamization Plan of Murtala. The believers in Murtala's Islamization Plan in the Supreme Military Council, Shehu Yar'Adua, Babangida and Buhari were not powerful enough to push the plan through. They had problems with the avid defenders of the secularism in the Supreme Military Council led by the Service Chiefs {General TY Danjunma (Army), Commodore Isa Doko (Airforce) and Rear Admiral Adelanwa (Navy)}. Tinkling with what the Constituent Assembly approved was what General Obasanjo's regime could do and it did precisely that

Prof. Omo Omoruyi

Research Fellow
African Studies Center
Boston University
Boston, MA, USA

http://www.nigerianpeoples.info/fw-enyimba-please-read-an-article-by-omo-omoruyi

Although Babangida took the rap for Nigeria's sneaky upgrade to full membership of the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC), according to a study on Nigeria funded by the US Defense Department in the early 1990s, it was actually Buhari who without any regard whatsoever for the sensibilities of Nigerians of other faiths, submitted the application to upgrade Nigeria's membership from the observer status it had enjoyed since the Gowon regime to full membership. The OIC's review of the application was concluded after Babangida's palace coup. Rather than reverse Buhari's action, Babangida quietly allowed Nigeria's new status as a full-fledged member of the OIC to stand. Buhari's OIC action exposed him as a religious zealot, who will have no qualms in rousing and ginning up Sharia issues, quiescent for several years now, following its aggressive unveiling in Zamfara, where Buba Bello Jangebe's wrist was amputated for stealing a cow, and Safiya Husseini was sentenced to die by stoning for adultery while her co-participant in the act was not prosecuted because he was male.

-Matthew Uzukwu, Ph.D.

http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2010/dec/171.html

The move by Nigeria to join the Organization of Islamic Conference (O.I.C), initiated by Buhari and amplified by Babangida,
also almost tore the nation apart. General Babangida, whose regime was welcomed because of his restoration of the freedom
of speech after the days of Buhari/Idiagbon, shocked many Nigerians with this development. It was ironic that many of the
key members of his government who were Christians claimed to be ignorant of such move

- Clarion University of Pennsylvania, Clarion, Pennsylvania

http://www.jsd-africa.com/Jsda/V12No5_Fall2010_A/PDF/Religious%20Politics%20and%20its%20Implications%20for%20Sustainable%20Development%20(Familusi).pdf

Very Interesting Titbits
But the period of General Babangida (1985-1993) represented the beginning of unmitigated Islamization of Nigeria. General Babangida was one of the loyal followers of General Murtala. This was why General Babangida took the fateful decision in 1986 to face the Nigerian Christians in particular and Nigerians in general with the plan of Muslims. He without the approval of the governing organs of the Federal Military Government organized a mission led by a non-member of the Government, the Sultan of Sokoto to formally admit Nigeria into the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC). When the Chief of General Staff, Commodore Ubitu Ukiwe complained that he knew nothing about it and definitely said that he could not remember the matter coming to the Armed Forces Ruling Council (AFRC), he was shown his way out. The Christians took it. The Christian leaders bought the plan of the Military President to keep them talking under the auspices of a 20-man panel to 'examine the implications of the country's full membership of the organization'. This was a diversion and the Christians were victims. This was not all.

Prof. Omo Omoruyi

Research Fellow
African Studies Center
Boston University
Boston, MA, USA

http://www.nigerianpeoples.info/fw-enyimba-please-read-an-article-by-omo-omoruyi

Isnt it now funny that only u know this u even said with ur mouth that christians under his government didn't know but u the Almighty knower knew this buhari that said only recently dat he sees no need in nigeria being a member of the OIC u call him a radical and hasnt been to mecca in 20years and ur asari goes there everyday with gej that goes to isreal every other day pls who is bigot?!!
Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by Lovine: 9:11am On Jan 02, 2015
Let us support the religion of PEACE. After all there is peace in Libya, Syria, Iraq, Yemen, etc.

3 Likes

Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by cirmuell(m): 9:13am On Jan 02, 2015
femi2u:
[b]Let us be reasonable if a counry like UK can vote FOR of which muslims are minority why NIGERIA vote against[/b]cos paletine has been passed oppression since 1948 when isreal was not on the world MAP
you need to go back to sleep.
Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by tolexy007(m): 9:13am On Jan 02, 2015
dat is d reason y we should vote against diz man called Buhari

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by rigarmortis: 9:18am On Jan 02, 2015
F22RAPTOR:

Lol...I didn't think anyone would notice

I thought my mind was playing tricks on me, i double and triple checked the handle.
Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by oluvick(m): 9:25am On Jan 02, 2015
Choii!! e pain dem.

Note: BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER!
Nigeria representative to the UN is Igbo. Ibos have never failed to tell us that they are from Israel. So, no place like home.

Palestine no be our Palle! OIC can hug transformer.

1 Like

Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by Mintayo(m): 9:27am On Jan 02, 2015
I wonder what Buhari would have done.
Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by Jwonder(m): 9:28am On Jan 02, 2015
femi2u:
Let us be reasonable if a counry like UK can vote FOR of which muslims are minority why NIGERIA vote against.cos paletine has been passed oppression since 1948 when isreal was not on the world MAP

What is this one saying self!...
Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by jkross(m): 9:33am On Jan 02, 2015
Mortiple:

What didn't you understand? It's another attempt to discredit GEJ; more like giving a dog bad name in order to hang it.

I am undecided on who to vote for up till now. However the approach adopted by supporters of both parties here on NL may do them more harm than good.

Deciding who to vote for shouldn't be a problem...Any sane Nigerian should know that GEJ's govt has it errors but surely GMB is not the fixer....any nigerian that used 1K coin to buy something in his/her growing up yeara should know what m talking about

1 Like

Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by rigarmortis: 9:41am On Jan 02, 2015
FlexTrex:

@Mortiple, you hit it right! The HATE for Mr. President has a sinister tone to it. It is pervasive and evil.Yes Mr. President and his regime have some short comings but he isn't much diffenrent from our past leaders, heck, he is better than most. But some people hate the very sight of the man.
They debase the president, presidency and his family at every opportunity and would rather throw the country into anarchy that have him continue a day more.
I used to be undecided but these haters are swaying me in the direction of Dr. GEJ.

Same with me, the hatred for the man is nauseating, to the extent that some people will rather have the country burn, others will assume saintly mien while mingling with crooks and motor park touts in the quest for power.

Jona all being said is not as bad as painted, the country is in decades of rot, it cant be transformed overnight, like it or not there are improvements in infrastructure and economy, even in the army, though they are fighting a novel warfare.

I said it some weeks ago that boko will soon be defeated in the captured villages again because i got an info that some state of the art war tanks are on their way to fully paid for, to nigeria, now the tanks are here and boko has gone from confrontational to suicidal war again, and this kinda war takes infiltration into the enemy camp all these takes time.

How many people are even aware of the said tank, it wasnt turned into propaganda like some past govt who will commision boreholes and primary schools live on NTA, and that is one shortcoming of jona, he doesnt have this in-your-face aggressive adverts of yore..

Some will think boko capturing of villages stopped because they are on break or because they want to observe xmas, now you know..
Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by donmalcolm21(m): 9:43am On Jan 02, 2015
I want to see hOw the opposition will defend dis
Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by sanerugwei: 9:56am On Jan 02, 2015
Going through the few enlightened comments here it has become clearer what transpired and how the abstaining decision was reach.
Nigeria surely needs to take her place in the comity of nation and assert her influence appropriatappropriately without making unnecessary emenies. That is what diplomacy is all about.
We need a charismatic and independent minded and strong willed leader. Incidentally but maybe unfortunately Nigerian's may have to wait till after 2019 to get such choice. It is no wonder that Obj alluded in his book, My Watch, that Dr Ebelemi is the weakest of the five presidents currently ruling Nigeria with four other greedy women.
Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by azimibraun: 10:13am On Jan 02, 2015
How about pure christian countries like Australia supporting the Palestinians in having having their own state? Statehood is a different issue altogether from religion.
Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by wasuka14(m): 10:13am On Jan 02, 2015
Majory of ppl on dis forum are Anti-human. Hw can u be commentin like dis??. Every humanbein must play key role to support serious effort to put a stop to d killin of humanbein, no matter d religion dey practice. Hw sm ppl be praisin GEJ to support Isreal to continue to kil ppl?? And u want to buy harms frm USA to stop BH?? So r u ppl happy dt its because of Muslims r d major casualties of Isreal is Ok?? Wot of if table turn?? There is notin God cannot do. Ha!! GEJ! Anyway, Charity begins at home!

1 Like

Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by ALISMILE(m): 10:17am On Jan 02, 2015
venomous:
OK....I feel for the Palestinians.... but what were they expecting?.... risking our newly formed alliance with isreal isn't worth it....
Can christians do somtin for d sake of justice! That's why some pple say religion shudnt be!
Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by diasporaman(m): 10:19am On Jan 02, 2015
OIC membership my foot. What we the awaiting 12th tribe of isreal from the south east are not aware of. Let them reapply,after all, their brother GMB is contesting for president for the fourth time. Leave naija alone
Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by cannonnier(m): 10:19am On Jan 02, 2015
I see hypocrites and coward here.

You're all sayimg s.hit because palestinians are muslim. And you guys are sadly justifying your hate by saying "israel and U.S are our allies".

Israel and US refuse to sell use weapon to counter terrorism and block some of our effort to buy elsewhere, Imagine, Pakistan! How much do we gain from Pakistan or what do they gain from us? But they defy the us and saudi to sell us weapons.

You guys should have a rethink. It should not be about Religion, poeple are dying in pakistan.
Someday we might need someone help, and they ignore us for nothink. How will we feel?

As we always say in Naija "nobody knows tomorrow".

Think Nigeria
Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by HolyHolla(m): 10:27am On Jan 02, 2015
Pertinent question: What gain(s) has Africa, and Nigeria in particular, ever derived from the Palestinians, or any of the Arab nations to warrant unalloyed support for their fantasies, which could cost us the valuable tech, economic, agric, military and social advantages offered by Israel?
Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by loomer: 10:30am On Jan 02, 2015
make dem disband their militant wing (Hamas), and the world will rally behind dem without hesitation.
Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by loomer: 10:34am On Jan 02, 2015
ALISMILE:
Can christians do somtin for d sake of justice! That's why some pple say religion shudnt be!

Wat if Nigeria had voted NO would it have been better?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by Chigold101(m): 10:45am On Jan 02, 2015
Splashme:
[size=13pt]OIC my anus.
That is why they are angling to return that old Islamic bigot Buhari[/size]
lolzzz... Let OIC expel Nigeria from its fold... Period...
They inserted arabic signs in Niara because they were in power...they smugled Nigeria into OIC because they were in control... Now things are really different... And they want power by all means...

Israel doesnt believe in christianity... They are not a christian country so Nigeria‘s action has nothing to do with christian or muslem... It is for world peace...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by FUTYGUY(m): 10:47am On Jan 02, 2015
Nonsense
Re: Palestinians Blast Nigeria For Abstention In UN Vote by SkinnyDude(m): 10:50am On Jan 02, 2015
fr3do:
I ask
What would Nigeria gain from Palestine? Nothing!
they will teach how to throw stones and launch rockets.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mali Junta Frees President Keita a Week After His Arrest / Uganda To Issue Birth Certificates To Cows / 1980 Video Of Robert Mugabe Interview "No Military Coup Can Remove Me From Power

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.