Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,171 members, 7,811,400 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:57 AM

Wole Soyinka and Obasanjo Still Exchanging Insult, See Full Insult history - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka and Obasanjo Still Exchanging Insult, See Full Insult history (871 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan And Obasanjo Meet In Ogun (Photos) / Buhari And Obasanjo After A Closed-door Meeting Today (photos) / Buhari With Babagida, Tinubu, And Obasanjo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wole Soyinka and Obasanjo Still Exchanging Insult, See Full Insult history by within9ja: 8:35am On Jan 02, 2015

EX-PRESIDENT Olusegun Obasanjo and Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, are at it again. These two grand old men have been at each others’ throats for years; and it doesn’t look as if their colourful verbal battles will end anytime soon.

Last week, my colleague Emmanuel Aziken, Vanguard’s Political Editor, wrote about their most recent war of words – which revolves around “My Watch”, Obasanjo’s controversial new autobiographical trilogy (it’s the subject of legal action, so not yet widely available). Excerpts from Aziken’s report:

Soyinka gave a rebuttal to former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s latest book…describing it as a narrative by a career liar always determined to crookedly project himself above his true standing among men.

Affirming his general detestation of such men, Soyinka said the Obasanjo brand was compounded by the inclination of even foisting the lies on members of the younger generation.

Obasanjo had in his book flayed Soyinka as a self serving critic who he said always sought to shine out among men claiming, that the Nobel Laureate is a “misfit as a political analyst, commentator or critic.”

Obasanjo-Wole-Soyinka

He had written “For Wole, no one can be good, nor can anything be spot-on politically except that which emanates from him or is ordained by him.”

Continuing his assessment of Soyinka, Obasanjo said: “He is surely a better wine connoisseur and a more successful “aparo” (guinea fowl) hunter than a political critic…,” adding “I take him seriously on almost all issues except on the political particularly Nigerian politics.”

Replying, in a treatise, titled Watch and Pray, Watch and Prey, Soyinka said: “I had fully attuned myself to the fact that our Owu retiree soldier and prolific author is an infliction that those of us who share the same era and nation space must learn to endure. However, it does appear that there is no end to this individual’s capacity for infantile mischief, and for needless, mind-boggling provocations, such as his recent ‘literary’ intrusion on my peace.

Perhaps I ought to interrupt myself here with an apology to some mutual acquaintances – ‘blessed peacemakers’ and all – especially in this season of ‘peace and goodwill to all men’. Please know that your efforts have not been entirely in vain. I had a cordial exchange with Obasanjo over the phone recently – engineered by himself, his ground staff and/or a chance visitor – when I had cause to visit his Presidential Laundromat for the first time ever.

During that exchange, I complimented him on making some quite positive use of landed property that was acquired under morally dubious circumstances, and blatantly developed through a process I denounced as ‘executive extortionism’….

…Our author invokes God tirelessly, without provocation, without necessity and without justification, perhaps preemptively, but does he really believe in such an entity? Does our home-bred Double-O-Seven believe in anything outside his own Omnipotency? Could he possibly have mistaken the Christian exhortation – ‘Watch and Pray’ for his private inclination to Watch and Prey?…

Soyinka goes on to describe Obasanjo as a “Master of Mendacity” and “irredeemable egomaniac” who is heading for “twilight disgrace”.

Obasanjo is also scathingly accused of issuing a “grotesque” statement and “ignoble fabrication”. And so on. And on. And on and on and on!…until we reach the conclusion of this particular diatribe, a gleeful: Chei! There is Death o!”

Talk about an un-merry Christmas message and festive ill will!

Soyinka, being a professional writer and pundit, is the more verbose of the two and has the upper hand when it comes to dishing out abuse with style.

But Obasanjo is no slouch on the insults front. He is also (as President Jonathan has discovered!) pretty skilled at putting people down when they annoy him.

Anyway, I nearly fell off my chair, laughing, when I read about the latest Soyinka/Obasanjo spat. I find the rudeness that they unrepentantly fling at each other hilarious; and I’d like to thank them for providing me with free entertainment at a time when Nigeria is not the most cheerful place on earth.

SOURCE: - http://www.withinnigeria.com/2015/01/02/wole-soyinka-obasanjo-still-exchanging-insult-see-full-insult-history/
Re: Wole Soyinka and Obasanjo Still Exchanging Insult, See Full Insult history by temitemi1(m): 8:39am On Jan 02, 2015
Let them continue jareee... While GEJ is winning grin grin grin
Re: Wole Soyinka and Obasanjo Still Exchanging Insult, See Full Insult history by holatin(m): 8:42am On Jan 02, 2015
buhari for President
Re: Wole Soyinka and Obasanjo Still Exchanging Insult, See Full Insult history by Sylvarresta(m): 8:51am On Jan 02, 2015
they should continue, it's none of my biz,
Sai Buhari

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan’s Govt Is A Dismal Failure, Says Fani-kayode June 6, 2013 Written By / Jonathan’s Squander Of $45 Billion Reserves Responsible For Naira fall- OBJ / Gej 1000 Snippers Arrive Nigeria.2000 People Killed At Baga?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.