Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND (41344 Views)

8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND / OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND / Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by DrFunmi(f): 10:26am On Jan 03, 2015
Success in life should not be determined by our alma mater. I believe that everybody has a chance to be successful whether they went to a university or polytechnic. Our success is in our hands. This write-up is not meant to degrade HND holders. I am one of those that are strongly against the discrimination against HND holders. However, the reality on ground (due to the discrimination) is that BSc is still more superior to HND and I have given reasons below to state the obvious but bitter truth.

1 Entrance Qualification - The entrance qualification to the university is more stringent than that to the polytechnic. The UTME cut off for universities is higher than that of polytechnics. All universities require a minimum of 5 credits in WASSCE/NECO while most polytechnics accept 4 credits as minimum requirement. It is well accepted that the entrance qualification to any institution says a lot about the prestige attached to such institution.

2 Quality of Lecturers- You cannot compare the quality of lecturers in the university to that of the polytechnic. Most university lecturers are professors and PhD holders with decades of teaching and research experience to show for it. Some of them are universally renowned professors. The head of universities are always renowned and experienced academic professors. Most Master degree holders in universities are mere assistant lecturers. The same cannot be said of polytechnics where most of their 'experienced' lecturers are mere BSc holders. Most rectors of polytechnics are Msc holders, only a few have PhD. Even corps members lecture polytechnic students. Has it ever occurred to you why polytechnics find it hard to employ even their own products (HND holders) to lecture? Instead, they employ mostly university grads to teach.

3 Research Work- University is the bedrock of research work. Research work lays the foundation of advancement and any sane society will rate any higher institution by the quality of their research. Unfortunately, the quality of research work in Nigerian universities is poor but this is still far better than that of polytechnics that do absolutely nothing (or very negligible research work).

4 Funding- Universities are much more funded than polytechnics. One of the metrics for determining the quality of an institution is the level of funding. No wonder, the government and the media pay more attention to the demand of ASUU over ASUP. Thus, you will expect a product of a university to be better trained than that of a polytechnic.

5 Quality of students - The brightest, youngest and most motivated students go to the universities. Go to a polytechnic and what you will see a lot of dejected, not-so-young students who have written UTME many times but have not succeeded. A few in the polytechnics are young and bright, but they are few and far between. The majority of young and bright students, just fresh from secondary school are found within the 4 walls of the university. Thus, most university grads are of higher intellectual quality than their poly counterparts.

6 Size and Beauty of Campus - A lot can be said about the quality of an institution by the architectural structures of the institutions. Let's take the elite universities and polytechnics in Nigeria for instance. One cannot compare the architectural edifices in the prestigious OAU, UI, ABU, UNN, UNILAG, UNIBEN to that of Yabatech, Kadpoly, Auchi, Bida Poly or any polytechnic in Nigeria. No polytechnic in Nigeria can even compete with some 2nd and 3rd generation universities like FUT Minna, UniJos, FUTA, etc in terms of structures.

7 Preference / Demand - The preference for BSc is higher than for OND/HND. All or almost all aspiring students wish to go to the university. Employers generally prefer BSc holders over HND holders. HND holders are seen as middle level manpower (That was the intent when polytechnics were initially created). There are more opportunities for BSc holders not just within the country but outside Nigeria. Jobs and scholarship opportunities abound for BSc holders and undergraduates while it is almost non-existent for HND holders.

8 Self Esteem - Last but not the least, an average BSc holder is more confident than an average HND holder. This is however not the fault of HND holders who unfortunately have to face stiff discrimination in the labour market, thus negatively impacting on their self esteem.

73 Likes 12 Shares

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by tosyne2much(m): 10:31am On Jan 03, 2015
Another thread that will trigger violence & enmity between both parties

OP, why not try making efforts on how to influence neighbours, friends, families & the less privileged ones with your Bsc rather than making other ppl feel less of themselves ?. Some people are seated in their offices working tiredlessly and making cool cash, you dey give urself unnecessary worry over Bsc superiority & Bsc/HND juxtaposition when there are thousands of hopeless & frustrated qualified graduates out there roaming the streets. (Well sha, you go soon enter labour market you go see say e no easy for anybody, be ye Bsc/HND)

Remember the worship & unnecessary hype of your Bsc is the beginning of joblessness

You get time sha

155 Likes 18 Shares

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by DrFunmi(f): 10:37am On Jan 03, 2015
tosyne2much:
Another thread that will trigger violence

OP, why not try making efforts on how to influence neighbour, friends, families & the less privilege ones with your Bsc rather than making other ppl feel less of themselves ?. Some people are seated at their offices working tiredlessly and making cool cash, you dey give urself unnecessary worry for here

You get time oooo
You got it all wrong. I didn't put this up to trigger argument. I just wanted to state some obvious hard truth. I wish both BSc and HND holders the best of 2015.

Modified: 1 forgot to add this point:

9 Worth of certificate - the BSc certificate is more valuable than the HND certificate. An HND holder requires a PGD to further his Postgraduate studies even if the holder has a distinction. On the other hand, a BSc holder can directly enrol for MSc or PhD without any hurdle. HND is equivalent to an associate degree in the USA and will require additional courses to be accepted in foreign institution. A BSc holder in Nigeria faces no such barrier.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by LuckyLadolce(m): 10:41am On Jan 03, 2015
DrFunmi:
Success in life should not be determined by our alma mater. I believe that everybody has a chance to be successful whether they went to a university or polytechnic. Our success is in our hands.

With this lines above.. u've said it all. I think the rest of ur write up aint necessary,. Btw, before u start thinking am intimidated with this write up, lemme tell u I have Both HND nd BSC and am getting high pay where I work grin

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by tosyne2much(m): 10:44am On Jan 03, 2015
DrFunmi:

You got it all wrong. I didn't put this up to trigger argument. I just wanted to state some obvious hard truth. I wish both BSc and HND holders the best of 2015.
Fine !!! I'm an aspiring HND holder and I've got a thousand ways to make money (Entrepreneurship rocks my boat).. Make una sit down dia dey carry Bsc for head while I keep driving my jeep grin

Jamb entry level or not, discrimination or not, Bsc superiority or not, it will neva change the fact you can never be successful than your destiny

I think we should be more concerned about how to meet the needs of ourselves, our parents and those looking up to us rather than ruling the juxtaposition between Bsc/HND

62 Likes 12 Shares

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by THUNDER4real(m): 10:47am On Jan 03, 2015
Na fight some people dey find oooo, Any one that you have wether Bsc, Hnd, Ond etc, use it to help your self.

14 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by amakufrancis(m): 10:51am On Jan 03, 2015
Noted
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Sodiq3(m): 10:55am On Jan 03, 2015
What OP wrote is the bitter Truth. I have many brothers who studied in the polytechnic, though, they are doing well but always facing discriminations whenever they try to further their studies.

however, on the topic, Since there are no groundbreaking researches that prove that all of what he mentioned above are true, i score him 70 over 100. A polytechnic certificate is not a waste of time and will never be. Our educational system spearheaded the said dichotomy. God bless Nigeria.

Modified.

13 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by pedrojustice: 11:26am On Jan 03, 2015
Core professional courses like Law, pharmacy and medicine are never taught in polys.

16 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by SaiBuharii: 12:00pm On Jan 03, 2015
Self Esteem - Very important point! Within the unis, LASU students continue to be degraded because they have self esteem issues. Notwithstanding, I have met intelligent ones in the industry.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by danaiks(m): 12:00pm On Jan 03, 2015
The kind of training HND holders go through...u can't compare, they are well seasoned, Industrial Training every now and then. Besides practice makes perfect!!

HND all the way jhorrr!! smiley

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by pekeyim: 12:00pm On Jan 03, 2015
Oh this is gonna get Hot I promise
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Obadiah77(m): 12:01pm On Jan 03, 2015
[size=15pt] polytechnic should be banned angry angry [/size]

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Valwezzy: 12:01pm On Jan 03, 2015
Alright.
Dat's Ur own Opinion
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Maczeelly(m): 12:01pm On Jan 03, 2015
ok

Remember is not by Bsc or Hnd but is by grace n favour couple with hardwork

5 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by richardjemedafe1(m): 12:02pm On Jan 03, 2015
Hello my fellow Nairalanders,
My name is Richard jemedafe from Plateau State
(Nigeria) I have a problem that is given me Sleepless
night.But I know that Nairaland is the best place to
get advice.
I wrote jamb this year and my jamb point was
179(which can't take me to University of my choice)
so I Applied for Pla poly (state polytechnic) To study
Business Administration and management. (I got
admission)
And I also got admission Into Federal COllege Of
Education Pankshin to study. English/SOS. (which I
also got Admission)

Nairalanders I need ur advice which should I go
to??College of Education And polytechnic which
is better,best and preferable??
Thenks
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by haitto99(m): 12:02pm On Jan 03, 2015
front page...hmmmm. although I hv a b.tech degree in engineering,but to be sincere HND graduates are more practical oriented than b.sc holders,talking from the engineering point of view

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by saintTim(m): 12:02pm On Jan 03, 2015
Hmmmm just a Nigerian ideology( same reasoning since 1960), learn to utilise your time in promoting education then demoralising those who couldent make it to the University, your type breed more boko haram than achebes.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by romzyxy(m): 12:02pm On Jan 03, 2015
Bitter but true fact.

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Jostico: 12:02pm On Jan 03, 2015
olodo olodo
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Gosj01(m): 12:02pm On Jan 03, 2015
It's an opinion not the FACT

4 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jan 03, 2015
BSc may be superior to HND but the most important issue is what we do with our qualifications. There are many jobless BSc holders out there while there are also many gainfully employed HND holders.

Forget BSc and HND. Entrepreneurship is the key. As a business owner, you employ both as you wish. tongue

13 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by kilokeys(m): 12:03pm On Jan 03, 2015
the op is so very ignorant

as a Bachelor in Engineering holder from FUTA

i could say Yabatech students aren't to be joked with.
in cadres of engineering..
u have the engineer, the technologist, the technician and the artisans.

there is no case of superiority here.. as everybody is important.
I blame the govt. for trying to blend everybody in the same labour market.

would u say a graduate from berklee's school of music or school of creative and fine arts is less than a doctor from a university?

it would be wrong.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by nicflame(m): 12:04pm On Jan 03, 2015
Your success is in God's hand bro, and your determination too

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by teemanbastos(m): 12:04pm On Jan 03, 2015
hmm.... All these aimed at getting MONEY.. datz all.
But if MONEY is rmuvd 4rm dis equation i bet.. nONE is superior

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jan 03, 2015
I could have said that success is not determined by education but looking at where certificates is currently pushing Buhari... I will hold my words for now
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by babamu123(m): 12:04pm On Jan 03, 2015
ok.......
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by infobiz9ja(m): 12:04pm On Jan 03, 2015
Just Passing by....
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Rapsainot(m): 12:05pm On Jan 03, 2015
Roger that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Death Of OAU Best Graduating Student Announced On Convocation Day / This Is Why They Always Tell Us To Read Instructions Before Starting Exam / Shalom Academy Nsukka Student Makes 9 A1s In The Just Released WAEC.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.