Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,102 members, 7,818,294 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND (41380 Views)

8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND / OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND / Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jan 03, 2015
tosyne2much:
Why would I deceived myself ? To each his own opinion

Your ending up in polytechnic doesn't change the facts about it. It' s just like someone with a Neco certificate trying to hustle someone with a Waec cert !

The difference is clear.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by tosyne2much(m): 3:55pm On Jan 03, 2015
Bluetooth2:

Your ending up in polytechnic doesn't change the facts about it. It' s just like someone with a Neco certificate trying to hustle someone with a Waec cert !

The difference is clear.
You are discriminatory in nature.. I've got no time for all these cos I know you would resort to cause e-fight

Live your life the way it suits you Mr Bsc holder
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jan 03, 2015
Bluetooth2:

Most of the courses offered by polytechnics are covered by universities. Polytechnics is a remedy to those who can't get into a university. I'm yet to see anyone who chose a polytechnic as their first choice in Jamb !

most of d schools I v applied for masters programs outside d shore normally specifies a different requirements for HND. d purposes of establishing d two r in parallel no doubt. we must find out whether one is with a job or still searching. it is an academic debate

d person dat quoted me above said d purpose for going to school is to make money. exactly d reasons why u see our lecturers not patient enough to write quality books for students. becos of d haste to make money.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jan 03, 2015
MusaIbrahim1:
I could have said that success is not determined by education but looking at where certificates is currently pushing Buhari... I will hold my words for now
Hmm
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by bolliejay(m): 4:01pm On Jan 03, 2015
Hmmmm. Wat the Op said is somehow true but l hv dis to say........
I think it depends on the individual. U may attend the best uni yet schul won't pass tru u....likewise u may graduate frm a bad poly and b the best in the industry.
I wrote a test in 2011 and l remember a graduate of one of the strong uni scoring 5 over 100 while l(poly graduate) scored 74.
During my ND days, I knw a student in ND2dat is writing l think the intermadiate of ICAN(he started frm ats)......
Also durin my postgraduate days....l saw a lot of 3rd class uni student dat r very dull and u begin to ask urself whether dis fellowww spent 4years in the uni.
So my brother it depends on the individual and not necessarily the school.......some coy r not interested in ur cert...they r interested in wat u have to offer!

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by DrFunmi(f): 4:02pm On Jan 03, 2015
tosyne2much:
You are discriminatory in nature.. I've got no time for all these cos I know you would resort to cause e-fight

That term is discriminatory.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by drehdinho(m): 4:02pm On Jan 03, 2015
DrFunmi:

You got it all wrong. I didn't put this up to trigger argument. I just wanted to state some obvious hard truth. I wish both BSc and HND holders the best of 2015.

Modified: 1 forgot to add this point:

9 Worth of certificate - the BSc certificate is more valuable than the HND certificate. An HND holder requires a PGD to further his Postgraduate studies even if the holder has a distinction. On the other hand, a BSc holder can directly enrol for MSc or PhD without any hurdle. HND is equivalent to an associate degree in the USA and will require additional courses to be accepted in foreign institution. A BSc holder in Nigeria faces no such barrier.

Wow! I never knew all of these things sha.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by drehdinho(m): 4:06pm On Jan 03, 2015
Obadiah77:
[size=15pt] polytechnic should be banned angry angry [/size]
Oh boy, e never reach that level na.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Edigrows: 4:08pm On Jan 03, 2015
tosyne2much:
Another thread that will trigger violence & enmity between both parties

OP, why not try making efforts on how to influence neighbours, friends, families & the less privileged ones with your Bsc rather than making other ppl feel less of themselves ?. Some people are seated in their offices working tiredlessly and making cool cash, you dey give urself unnecessary worry over Bsc superiority & Bsc/HND juxtaposition when there are thousands of hopeless & frustrated qualified graduates out there roaming the streets. (Well sha, you go soon enter labour market you go see say e no easy for anybody, be ye Bsc/HND)

Remember the worship & unnecessary hype of your Bsc is the beginning of joblessness

You get time sha
First Dopest Talk I seen in 2015 , Seun, Pls Add Like Button-smiley for us!!! I wanna give dis dude upto 1000 of it.! grin
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by tosyne2much(m): 4:09pm On Jan 03, 2015
correctguy0900:

The person dat quoted me above said d purpose for going to school is to make money. exactly d reasons why u see our lecturers not patient enough to write quality books for students. becos of d haste to make money.
Sowi for quoting you.

Mind you, I never said money is the only driving motive towards academic pursuit. As a matter of fact, the major reason why we school is to sharpen our brain in order to do exploits in the society. All these things still boils down to money making mentality
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by tosyne2much(m): 4:14pm On Jan 03, 2015
Edigrows:

First Dopest Talk I seen in 2015 , Seun, Pls Add Like Button-smiley for us!!! I wanna give dis dude upto 1000 of it.! grin
hmmmmmm !!!

Tell me what I need to know

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Olaoladimeji(m): 4:15pm On Jan 03, 2015
Am an HND holder and I earned more than 70% BSC holders per month. Success has nothing to do with certificate but only determined by luck and what you have upstairs.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by bolliejay(m): 4:15pm On Jan 03, 2015
richardjemedafe1:
Hello my fellow Nairalanders,
My name is Richard jemedafe from Plateau State
(Nigeria) I have a problem that is given me Sleepless
night.But I know that Nairaland is the best place to
get advice.
I wrote jamb this year and my jamb point was
179(which can't take me to University of my choice)
so I Applied for Pla poly (state polytechnic) To study
Business Administration and management. (I got
admission)
And I also got admission Into Federal COllege Of
Education Pankshin to study. English/SOS. (which I
also got Admission)

Nairalanders I need ur advice which should I go
to??College of Education And polytechnic which
is better,best and preferable??
Thenks
Dear Mr Richard,
My candid advice is to re-write Jamb.....don't go to poly or college of edu. Dia is a lot of discrimination out dia(am affected too) the world is moving fast.. A lot of coy discriminate! Even govt parastatal are not left out....plus u wud hv to get postgraduate degree if u want master or Msc.........Without B.sc u cant lecture even if u have doctorate degree without and so on.....

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jan 03, 2015
tosyne2much:

Dude stop tripping over this shiit. The qquote below is from your first response to the @op and it's not only discriminatory but shows your level of insecurity and unnecessary defense .

Make una sit down dia dey carry Bsc for head while I keep driving my jeep

Yes and yes, HND is inferior to BSC !

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by tosyne2much(m): 4:18pm On Jan 03, 2015
Bluetooth2:

Dude stop tripping over this shiit. The qquote below is from your first response to the @op and it's not only discriminatory but shows your level of insecurity and unnecessary defense .

Yes and yes, HND is inferior to BSC !
I rest my case sir

I give up
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by tosyne2much(m): 4:26pm On Jan 03, 2015
richardjemedafe1:
Hello my fellow Nairalanders,
My name is Richard jemedafe from Plateau State
(Nigeria) I have a problem that is given me Sleepless
night.But I know that Nairaland is the best place to
get advice.
I wrote jamb this year and my jamb point was
179(which can't take me to University of my choice)
so I Applied for Pla poly (state polytechnic) To study
Business Administration and management. (I got
admission)
And I also got admission Into Federal COllege Of
Education Pankshin to study. English/SOS. (which I
also got Admission)

Nairalanders I need ur advice which should I go
to??College of Education And polytechnic which
is better,best and preferable??
Thenks
I would advise you to accept the Polytechnic education.

Do not listen to all those who advised you sit at home and re-write Jamb. When you are planning positively, you should also have plans should in case your positive plan fails you. If you re-take Jamb next year and you still score below 170 ? You will regret why you let go the admission

My bro accept the admission and probably obtain a Jamb form alongside
I hope this helps
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by sueappostle(m): 4:42pm On Jan 03, 2015
YOU REALLY MUST BE A JOKER, I GUESS YOU JUST WANT PEOPLES COMMENT angry
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by richardjemedafe1(m): 4:46pm On Jan 03, 2015
tosyne2much:
I would advise you to accept the Polytechnic education.

Do not listen to all those who advised you sit at home and re-write Jamb. When you are planning positively, you should also have plans should in case your positive plan fails you. If you re-take Jamb next year and you still score below 170 ? You will regret why you let go the admission

My bro accept the admission and probably obtain a Jamb form alongside
I hope this helps
wow tenx ur advice will go a long way...
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by DrFunmi(f): 4:49pm On Jan 03, 2015
I have noticed a lot of bitterness, bad blood, envy and insults in this thread. Instead of countering the fact stated here, aggrieved persons have resorted into hurling insults and tantrums at the OP (yours truly).

I expected some intellectual debate or counter argument, but instead I see comments like:

'OP, you must be out of your mind'
'OP, this is crap'
'OP, I teach and nurture many so-called BSc grads'
'The most important thing is making money and self-development'
etc

Nobody has been able to effectively counter the stated points. Thus I can conclude that both BSc and HND holders agree that with the reasons as stated.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by samopeyemi: 5:15pm On Jan 03, 2015
Either BSc or HND, with hard work, opportunity and God grace one will surely make a headway. None guarantee success on a plater of gold.

There are some HND holder that are smarter and more inteligent than BSc holders

But sincerely, truth be told that the level of education in an average Nigerian University (not all) is way ahead of that in an average Nigerian Polytechnic. BSc is also more marketable outside the country, esp for higher degree.

Another point to note is that except maybe for banks, most high paying companies especially the multinational coys rate uni grads ahead of poly grads.

All in all, the fact that one has a BSc does not mean such person will make it more than someone with HND, even though the BSc holder might have received a much better education. Same way a Prof doesnt necessarily make it than a BSc holder though d prof might av all the knowledge in the world.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by PAnaceA7(m): 5:20pm On Jan 03, 2015
LARRYDKING:

The main reason why i had to cross to the uni is simply becos of the disparity, just like the O.P has done. Knowledge is power, whether aquired in a uni or poly or sec sch. I later found out many students in the uni have empty skull, some robbed d so called poly students of admission 2ru connections and other means.

All in all, it's cool being on d recognised side.
Dull students abound everywhere even in the poly... It's not just peculiar to the universities alone
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jan 03, 2015
haitto99:
front page...hmmmm. although I hv a b.tech degree in engineering,but to be sincere HND graduates are more practical oriented than b.sc holders,talking from the engineering point of view
yes cos that's what they were trained to do. They are technologist and operators. Engineers are more of project managers and those you run to when sh*t hits the fan.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Kruzilano(m): 5:29pm On Jan 03, 2015
Na wahala dis 1 dey find sha... Wen it comes to quality of studnt,...esut student still meet studnt of IMT for project work n even project defence.. in the whole south eastern region, aint sure u can compare any STATE uni studnt to IMT poly enugu. or compare south western state uni studnt to stunt of yabatech!.. Poly is good, uni is also good, do not discriminate
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jan 03, 2015
PAnaceA7:

You don't have to flair up over what Op said, it's d bitter truth..Most Hnd holders still go ahead to d University cus they know it's importance. Now look closer and point out which one out of the eight is false rather than taking it personal.
Yes. they can go back to university and start at 2nd year as direct entry. To employers, these are the best candidates qualified for a job.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Deapexboy(m): 5:32pm On Jan 03, 2015
pureguide:

BSC candidate! Am sure your older than me.

atleast Godknows am much younger dan u..if only house is wat u have achieved then am proud to say am doing beta than you tonguetongue :p
stop feeling as if nobody have don wat u have done...
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by bamdexfarms(m): 5:32pm On Jan 03, 2015
samkolo:
am in 400 level-unilag...an assignment that was given us in 300 level was said to be given to yabatech students as project.

u are a bloody liar, i am a graduate of yabatech and 90 percent of brilliant students in unilag are products from yabatech. also, why do unilag guys always come to beg yabatech students to write their exams for them?.... YABATECH.... the first and still the best

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jan 03, 2015
dROC1:
Having been a product of both the Polytechnic and University systems, I would say the HND does not compare to the Bsc.
Gone are the days when we would be debating that Poly students are better than Uni students. We are in the real world now and the facts are clear that there is no debate on which is superior qualififcation.

In America, HND is the equivalent of a High School Certificate. You would need a PGD before even thinking of an MSc.

The self esteem is affected as you will have to work twice as hard to earn what BSc holders are getting easily.

At the end of the day it all boils down to what an individual wants in life.
In America, HND is an advanced diploma.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jan 03, 2015
DrFunmi:
5 Quality of students - The brightest, youngest and most motivated students go to the universities. Go to a polytechnic and what you will see a lot of dejected, not-so-young students who have written UTME many times but have not succeeded. A few in the polytechnics are young and bright, but they are few and far between. The majority of young and bright students, just fresh from secondary school are found within the 4 walls of the university. Thus, most university grads are of higher intellectual quality than their poly counterparts.

Lol! This point would have been valid if 90% of Nigerian University truly admit students on merit. But, it's mostly done on long-leg, runs etc. Some Universities are exception though but, they still engage in a little way.

I met someone with 240 in CBT jamb last year, and he wasn't admitted in University whereas people he scored higher than in both UTME and P.UTME, were admitted before him.

He applied to Polytechnic and later got admitted.
So, in some cases, polytechnics aren't about un-intelligent people.
Inasmuch as Yabatech cutoff mark is 150, I could bet that scoring less than 180 would never guarantee you a chance to get admitted except you make it up by scoring extremely high in P.UTME. Maybe 30+ over 40 sha.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by bamdexfarms(m): 5:56pm On Jan 03, 2015
dorlapoh20:
i think this op is getting it wrong. HND holders are more preferred by companies than Bsc holders because of the training and praticals they do.Lectures in polytechniques are more hardworking. The only point you have is self esteem which is not necessary

lecturers in polys will teach you, while those in unis will never take time to explain to you due to their pride
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jan 03, 2015
bamdexfarms:

lecturers in polys will teach you, while those in unis will never take time to explain to you due to their pride
grin
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jan 03, 2015
PAnaceA7:

Dull students abound everywhere even in the poly... It's not just peculiar to the universities alone

Likewise brilliant students abound in the polys, just that many arn't lucky enough like u and me.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by prettymina(f): 6:04pm On Jan 03, 2015
Am an OND holder but banging my Bsc in few months wen I get to labour market will knw which one is better

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Shalom Academy Nsukka Student Makes 9 A1s In The Just Released WAEC. / UNN Physics Lecturer Gets Stuck In Class While Solving A Question (Photo, Video) / Kogi State Polytechnic Lecturer Slaps Student Into Unconsciousness (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.