Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,119 members, 7,957,177 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 08:34 AM

A Thread For Script Writters - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / A Thread For Script Writters (1001 Views)

A Thread For Good Movies That Are Not Popular. / A Thread For Fans And Lovers Of The Hit Tv Series »»»» HANNIBAL«««« / 24-a Thread For People Who Have Watched D Film 24hours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Thread For Script Writters by killjoy(m): 10:53am On Jan 03, 2015
read this short script and please add yours. lets share ideas

I’m Sorry. I Really Am

Written by killjoy

Scene one
Int. day
Jeremy’s Residence
[cool blues is playing in the background as cam opens on Jeremy’s feet placed on his table. Cam slowly zooms out and shows Jeremy (26, handsome, lanky) sitting on a sofa with his hands behind his head, resting on the sofa’s headrest. His legs are resting on the table and his eyes are closed. His doorbell rings and he opens his eyes]
Jeremy:
Who’s there? Come in…
Jemimah:
[24, beautiful, wearing a red gown that stops at her knees and a black leggings, walks in]
Hi baby….
Jeremy:
[drops his legs from the table, leans towards her but still sitting]
Jemimah, how are you?
Jemimah:
[sits down beside him, drops her bag on the table and gives him a side hug with a big smile]
I’m fine. I missed you.
Jeremy:
[With a blank expression on his face]
I missed you too.
[He picks the remote on the table and stops the music]
So how was the trip?
Jemimah:
[her big smile reduces to a expressionless face]
The trip was fine
[She stares at him blankly; he glances at her, and then glances away]
You are not happy to see me right? You’re still mad at me.
Jeremy:
I’m not… I am not mad at you and I’m happy to see you.
Jemimah:
[standing to her feet and raising her voice]
Then why don’t you show it?! No smiles, no hugs, no… no nothing.
[she sits down beside him, places her hands in between her knees, looks down sadly]
Maybe I shouldn’t have come. You haven’t forgiven me.
[she starts to sob]
Jeremy:
[He looks at her and looks away frantically. He swiftly gets to his feet and faces her]
Look! Just stop it! Please stop it! Don’t play the victim here.
[she continues to sob. Tears are now streaming out of her eyes. She wipes her eyes with her hands]
Jeremy (cont’d):
You see, this is the problem I have with you, with women.
[he starts pacing to and fro]
Do you expect me to start throwing back dives ‘cause I’m happy to see you? I assured you I have forgiven you. Why don’t you take my words at face value?
[still pacing around]
…you complain I’m insensitive whereas what you really want is for me to be a drama queen!
[she looks up at him, with tears in her eyes and she slips a little smile]
Jemimah:
It’s… it’s not drama queen, it’s drama king… since you’re a guy.
Jeremy:
Drama king is not a legitimate word in the dictionary! Drama isn’t associated with men but with women, females, queens… you…
[he stops pacing, faces her and speaks softly]
What’s with all this drama? I don’t like it
Jemimah:
[after wiping her face, she smoothens her thighs with her palms]
I’m not being dramatic my dear. I’m really hurt that I’m happy to see you but you don’t feel the same way towards me.
[she stands up and takes her bag]
Once again, I’m sorry for what I did. I shouldn’t have come here in the first place, at least, not so soon. I will take the next available flight. Take care
[she stands in front of him and stares at him, waiting for his reply]
Jeremy:
[after some seconds]
I cooked your favourite, just the way you like it.
Jemimah:
[her eyes widen in amazement]
Really?!
[she throws her bag on the sofa and jumps on him, while throwing her arms around his neck]
Ohh… I love you too!
[Scene fades. Scene resumes with Jeremy and Jemimah on the dining table eating]
Jemimah:
This was…mmmmmmm! I enjoyed it… totally!
Jeremy:
[with a blank expression and staring into his plate. He raises a brow]
Mmmm hmmmm?
Jemimah:
[slips an enthusiastic smile]
Let me tell you a funny thing that transpired at the airport this morning. I mean, before I boarded the….
Jeremy (interrupts):
I would love hear about it…
[he looks up]
…when I return.
Jemimah:
You going out?
Jeremy:
Briefly… I’d be back before you know it.
Jemimah:
[drops her fork on the plate and stands up quickly]
Fine. Let me quickly go wash up and change so we can…
Jeremy (interrupts):
[raises a hand]
No… don’t worry… it’s a guy’s hangout… sorry… exclusively for guys.
[he looks away]
Guys only.
Jemimah:
[exhales and looks depressed]
Oohhh… so I really can’t come?
Jeremy:
[shakes his head]
Sorry….
[she stares at him in desperation and sadness]

Scene fades

Re: A Thread For Script Writters by prof800(m): 12:24pm On Jan 03, 2015
hmmm.. why don't I trust Jeremy?

Nice work.
Re: A Thread For Script Writters by tosan200(m): 2:18pm On Jan 03, 2015
GOOD. jeremy must be really good at the game.
Re: A Thread For Script Writters by sholay2011(m): 5:41pm On Jan 03, 2015
Re: A Thread For Script Writters by sholay2011(m): 5:43pm On Jan 03, 2015
Hello killjoy. See username grin. Nice excerpt btw.

I'm a scriptwriter too. I have my short film scripts on my profile.
Re: A Thread For Script Writters by sholay2011(m): 10:57am On Jan 04, 2015
This is an excerpt from a script of mine:

CUT TO:
EXT. FEMI’S HOUSE/DOORPOST-DAWN

SFX- OMINOUS SOUND CONTINUES

Anike walks to the doorpost and knocks at the door. She knocks again. The door opens and we see MRS. ATERE/ROLAKE (42), with wrapper tied to her chest.

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
Good morning, ma.

MRS ATERE (In Yoruba)
Ah, Anike…morning. Hope no problem?

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
Nothing really. ‘Just want to pick Dare so he won’t be late for school.

MRS ATERE (In Yoruba)
Pick Dare? Dare isn’t here.

There is a deadly silence.

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
Em…em…ma, are you sure Dare didn’t sleep here ‘cos he and Femi went to play ball yesterday which…?

MRS ATERE (In Yoruba)
No, he didn’t. I didn’t even see him throughout yesterday.

Anike becomes a bit anxious.

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
Can…can you please call Femi for me, ma?

MRS ATERE
Okay.

Mrs Atere leaves for inside the house. Anike rubs her palms together again to generate heat. Mrs Atere emerges with Femi, in a vest and shorts, at the doorpost.

ANIKE
Femi, good morning.

FEMI
Morning. How is Dare?

Anike appears taken aback. She and Mrs Atere look at each other.

ANIKE
Femi, are you telling me you didn’t come home with Dare yesterday?

Femi shakes his head.

ANIKE (Sighs)
So, after you people played ball and it started raining, where did he go?

FEMI
We finished the ball quickly because we saw that it wanted to rain. Dare packed his boots and I thought he went home. Is he not at home?

ANIKE
No, he is not.

MRS ATERE (In Yoruba)
I believe he is out somewhere, probably scared of the beating your mother would give him if she...

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
Dare doesn’t sleep outside the house except your place…

MRS ATERE (In Yoruba)
Don’t be too sure. Children of nowadays can be very lousy…

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
-my brother is not lousy.

Mrs Atere gives her a stern look.

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
Femi, can you quickly follow me to the field where you guys play, not sure I know the place?

MRS ATERE (In Yoruba)
My son is going nowhere this early morning. He has to prepare for school, woman.

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
I swear this will not take time. I just want him to…

MRS ATERE (In Yoruba)
No, no, no, no.

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
Please, ma…

MRS ATERE (Shakes head)
Hm-hm.

MR ATERE (44) emerges in the scene from the house.

MR ATERE (In Yoruba)
What’s happening here?

Anike and Mrs Atere look at each other.
Re: A Thread For Script Writters by Omolola1(f): 11:16pm On Jan 04, 2015
Nice

Let me just chip in something:

As a scriptwriter or screenwriter, whichever the case may be.. it's wrong to add "cut in" etc..that is the work of the director in what is called "Director's treatment"
As a screenwriter/scriptwriter, all you need to do is write.

Secondly,
This goes to the first writer
I'm sure the application you used is "final draft"
This application is used for scriptwriting.
There are tags like action, dialogue, parenthetical, character etc..

Descriptions such as this

[24, beautiful, wearing a red gown that stops at her knees and a black leggings, walks in]

Do not need to be in bracket, they are descriptions, thus, should be in an action format.
Only parenthetical such as: (sigh), (laughing) etc are bracketed, and this would be done automatically on final draft when highlighted and 'parenthetical' is selected.

Just thought I chip this in.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Script Writters by sholay2011(m): 6:53am On Jan 05, 2015
@Omolola....Oh! Thanks very much for the tips...noted. I will like to see some of your works please.

You can also check some short film scripts I've written on my profile and comment/critique it. Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Script Writters by Inosenduatall: 12:17pm On Jan 05, 2015
Beautiful thread though. However I would like us to discuss some really important issues.

1. How can one make money writing scripts in Nigeria?

2. In the case where one wants to produce his own movie after writing the script but lacks the necessary funds, how can one source for funds?

Thank you and I hope my questions are addressed adequately and thoroughly.
Re: A Thread For Script Writters by Inosenduatall: 12:21pm On Jan 05, 2015
Excerpts below:

INT - SPOTLIGHTS HOTEL BAR/LOUNGE - EVENING

(Scene opens to show Osaro, Emmy and Becca seated at a table in the hotel lounge drinking some bottles of beer. A waiter carries a tray of full, roasted fish over to their table and drops it as Becca begins rubbing her hands together excitedly.)

BECCA

Now this is what I'm talking about. Why did I even come to your place in the first instance?

EMMY

Because Y has a long tail and two branches.

(She takes a bite of the fish and closes her eyes in delicious ecstacy, before downing in with some more alcohol.)

BECCA

This is good. This is really good.

OSARO

So madam, what made you leave abuja for Lagos?

BECCA

Well, when the people that butter your bread ask you to jump the only question you should ask is how high. I was transferred, I had little choice in the matter.

OSARO

And how are you enjoying Lagos?

BECCA

Lagos is craaaazy. It's like I've been dropped right in the middle of a mental asylum.

OSARO

Are you insinuating that we are all mad men in Lagos?

BECCA

Not particularly. But here are some of the things I've noticed. One, everybody is in a hurry here. It's like you're watching a movie and you put it on fast forward. That's how Lagos is.

OSARO

So Lagos is permanently on fast forward?

BECCA

Lagos is permanently on fast forward. Two, everybody in Lagos somehow forgets to give you your change. It's either they 'innocently' forget or they don't have.

EMMY

Now that is just a baseless generalization. You are obviously out for blood tonight.

OSARO

Please tell her o. I give people back their change all the time.

BECCA

Na una sabi. You're not the ones that had to hold a taxi driver by the neck after forfeiting your change on three different occasions. Three different occasions!

OSARO

Okay, anything else?

BECCA

Three, the whole place is a mess. No planning, no nothing. And what of the traffic? Hell on earth. Lagos is just a concrete jungle, and guess who the monkeys are?

OSARO

Your ogas in Abuja.

(They all burst out laughing.)

BECCA

Seriously it's like they just hired a carpenter named Taofeek to patch-patch the whole place and then they called it Lagos. (To Emmy) How do you cope here?

EMMY

To be honest I do think of relocating sometimes but my work is here. I can't just up and leave. Besides, you get used to it.

OSARO
(To Becca)
And now that you have finished running down a city you obviously know nothing about, let me tell you a little something about eko. Lagos is the city of hustlers, if you can make it here you can make it anywhere. Not like abuja where all the fences are high like skyscrapers. (To Emmy) What else?

EMMY

City that never sleeps.

OSARO

Lagos is the city that never sleeps. I can wake up 2am and it still looks like it's 9pm. There's a vibrant energy that this city generates. That's what I love the most about it.

BECCA

Anything else, professor?

OSARO

I can head out to work in only my boxers and arrive at the office fully dressed.

BECCA
(Perplexed)
How?

OSARO

I'll buy everything I need in traffic.

(She thinks about it for a bit then bursts out laughing.)

BECCA

Only in Lagos.

OSARO
(Raises his glass to her)
Only in Lagos.

BECCA
(To Emmy)
This your friend is crazy, how do you cope?

EMMY

Well you already said that Lagos is a mental asylum so what did you expect?

(Osaro draws his chair closer to Becca's and whispers something in her ear to which she giggles. Emmy looks around uncomfortably, leans back in his chair and begins sipping his drink - all by himself.)

FADES OUT.
Re: A Thread For Script Writters by prof800(m): 12:53pm On Jan 05, 2015
@Inosenduatall, nice work up there.
....to your questions...
1. one can make money by getting to sell the written scripts or contributing to the development of a ready written script or writing episodes for tv shows etc...

2. there are kickstarter programs I think. Also watch out for govt. loans when it is announced... two have been given already over the past 5 years.

@Omolola1, I see you and I feel you. wink
Re: A Thread For Script Writters by killjoy(m): 2:23pm On Jan 05, 2015
sholay2011:
This is an excerpt from a script of mine:

CUT TO:
EXT. FEMI’S HOUSE/DOORPOST-DAWN

SFX- OMINOUS SOUND CONTINUES

Anike walks to the doorpost and knocks at the door. She knocks again. The door opens and we see MRS. ATERE/ROLAKE (42), with wrapper tied to her chest.

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
Good morning, ma.

MRS ATERE (In Yoruba)
Ah, Anike…morning. Hope no problem?

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
Nothing really. ‘Just want to pick Dare so he won’t be late for school.

MRS ATERE (In Yoruba)
Pick Dare? Dare isn’t here.

There is a deadly silence.

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
Em…em…ma, are you sure Dare didn’t sleep here ‘cos he and Femi went to play ball yesterday which…?

MRS ATERE (In Yoruba)
No, he didn’t. I didn’t even see him throughout yesterday.

Anike becomes a bit anxious.

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
Can…can you please call Femi for me, ma?

MRS ATERE
Okay.

Mrs Atere leaves for inside the house. Anike rubs her palms together again to generate heat. Mrs Atere emerges with Femi, in a vest and shorts, at the doorpost.

ANIKE
Femi, good morning.

FEMI
Morning. How is Dare?

Anike appears taken aback. She and Mrs Atere look at each other.

ANIKE
Femi, are you telling me you didn’t come home with Dare yesterday?

Femi shakes his head.

ANIKE (Sighs)
So, after you people played ball and it started raining, where did he go?

FEMI
We finished the ball quickly because we saw that it wanted to rain. Dare packed his boots and I thought he went home. Is he not at home?

ANIKE
No, he is not.

MRS ATERE (In Yoruba)
I believe he is out somewhere, probably scared of the beating your mother would give him if she...

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
Dare doesn’t sleep outside the house except your place…

MRS ATERE (In Yoruba)
Don’t be too sure. Children of nowadays can be very lousy…

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
-my brother is not lousy.

Mrs Atere gives her a stern look.

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
Femi, can you quickly follow me to the field where you guys play, not sure I know the place?

MRS ATERE (In Yoruba)
My son is going nowhere this early morning. He has to prepare for school, woman.

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
I swear this will not take time. I just want him to…

MRS ATERE (In Yoruba)
No, no, no, no.

ANIKE (In Yoruba)
Please, ma…

MRS ATERE (Shakes head)
Hm-hm.

MR ATERE (44) emerges in the scene from the house.

MR ATERE (In Yoruba)
What’s happening here?

Anike and Mrs Atere look at each other.

hmmmmm... I was enjoying it. nyc

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Script Writters by killjoy(m): 2:24pm On Jan 05, 2015
Omolola1:
Nice

Let me just chip in something:

As a scriptwriter or screenwriter, whichever the case may be.. it's wrong to add "cut in" etc..that is the work of the director in what is called "Director's treatment"
As a screenwriter/scriptwriter, all you need to do is write.

Secondly,
This goes to the first writer
I'm sure the application you used is "final draft"
This application is used for scriptwriting.
There are tags like action, dialogue, parenthetical, character etc..

Descriptions such as this

Do not need to be in bracket, they are descriptions, thus, should be in an action format.
Only parenthetical such as: (sigh), (laughing) etc are bracketed, and this would be done automatically on final draft when highlighted and 'parenthetical' is selected.

Just thought I chip this in.

cool obzavatns... tnx a lot. show us ur works na
Re: A Thread For Script Writters by killjoy(m): 2:27pm On Jan 05, 2015
Inosenduatall:
Beautiful thread though. However I would like us to discuss some really important issues.

1. How can one make money writing scripts in Nigeria?

2. In the case where one wants to produce his own movie after writing the script but lacks the necessary funds, how can one source for funds?

Thank you and I hope my questions are addressed adequately and thoroughly.

my broda, scriptwriters, lyk many other art related professions r nt valued. d only way u can make money from ur scrip is to produce it urself.
Re: A Thread For Script Writters by Inosenduatall: 9:30pm On Jan 05, 2015
killjoy:

my broda, scriptwriters, lyk many other art related professions r nt valued. d only way u can make money from ur scrip is to produce it urself.

It's really unfortunate cos we've got a lot of amazing talents out there that can create a mind-blowing story on a very low budget. It's looking more and more like I may have to tow this route. The irony is, writing a wonderful script takes a lot of brain power in order for the sequence to flow seamlessly from one to the other and for the story as a whole to be engaging and most importantly, add up.
Re: A Thread For Script Writters by killjoy(m): 9:36pm On Jan 05, 2015
Inosenduatall:

It's really unfortunate cos we've got a lot of amazing talents out there that can create a mind-blowing story on a very low budget. It's looking more and more like I may have to tow this route. The irony is, writing a wonderful script takes a lot of brain power in order for the sequence to flow seamlessly from one to the other and for the story as a whole to be engaging and most importantly, add up.

well spoken

btw my ansa to Ur second question. I watched a video by d owner of one academy in Hollywood n he said, to get, 10 naira loan to make a film, u hv to make a short 1naira film n show ur sponsors. u get? no company will throw money at u without seeing ur work, wot ur capable of. so me n my partner r trying to make a 3 minutes film n use it to pitch so we get sponsors. u can do same
Re: A Thread For Script Writters by Omolola1(f): 10:58pm On Jan 05, 2015
prof800:
@Inosenduatall, nice work up there.
....to your questions...
1. one can make money by getting to sell the written scripts or contributing to the development of a ready written script or writing episodes for tv shows etc...

2. there are kickstarter programs I think. Also watch out for govt. loans when it is announced... two have been given already over the past 5 years.

@Omolola1, I see you and I feel you. wink

cheesy
Re: A Thread For Script Writters by morsadh(m): 9:27pm On Jan 08, 2015
EXT. SOLDIER'S JUNCTION - DAY – DAWN
SUPERIMPOSE: 5:46am
A vigilante trudges down a lonely road: a tired old man with a Dane gun, charms, knife, etc. EVERY STEP GETS SLOWER...Slips on a rotten fruit! He trips! He...regains his balance. Sighs and hisses. Walks on.
He gets to a tree. Approaches it... Sits. Leans back on the tree. Sleeps...
A HUNTER'S WHISTLE. He stirs. Adjusts to a lying position. Resumes sleeping exercise...
A SHARPER WHISTLE! He leaps up and draws out knife. Looks around. No enemy... FF FR-R-RE-EEEE!!! Picks up gun and leather bag. Looks Alert. Makes a light run...
EXT. BODE'S UNCLE'S HOUSE - DAY - A MOMENT LATER
...And slows down in front of a two-story building. Looks up at building. Footsteps behind him. He turns.
ANOTHER VIGILANTE.
VIGILANTE #2
(in Yoruba)
What is going on?
VIGILANTE #1
(in Yoruba)
I have no idea. I heard the whistle, so I came running.
VIGILANTE #2
(in Yoruba)
Same here.
The now-familiar whistle RINGS OUT SHARPLY. It is from the top floor of the house. Three more vigilantes arrive. They all arm themselves. Vigilantes #1 & #2 look at each other. They all slowly walk into the house.
A MOMENT PASSES... A SCREAM FROM THE HOUSE!!!

(1) (Reply)

Now You See Me 2 Movie Review / DOWNLOAD: Empire Season 3 Episode 2 (S03E02) – Sin That Amends / What Is Your Favourite Series (seasons) Movie Of All Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.