Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,741 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:28 PM

(photos):behold The Oldest Storey Building In Rivers State - Vanguard News - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / (photos):behold The Oldest Storey Building In Rivers State - Vanguard News (1612 Views)

One Killed As IPOB Members Protest In Onitsha - Vanguard News / Election Collation Officer Nabbed In Ondo State - Vanguard / Breaking! APC is seriously concerned about FFK's mental state- Vanguard News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

(photos):behold The Oldest Storey Building In Rivers State - Vanguard News by Aldrickay: 6:14pm On Jan 03, 2015
By Davies Iheamnachor
RUMUJI—BUILT over a century ago, it is the
oldest storey-building standing at
Mgbuomodu, Rumuji community, Emohua
Local Government Area, Rivers State.

It is also believed to be the oldest of its
kind in Ikwerreland (Ikwerre one of the various ethnic group in the niger delta region, and also the most populated in rivers state.) Some people are of
the view that it should be the oldest of
such structures in the state.

the135-yr-old Storey building in
Ikwerreland

They said it is older than every man in the
whole town, including the oldest man in
the town, Mr. Amadi, said to be 100 years
old.
The people of Rumuji have continually
eulogized the effort of Chief Aite Igwe,
who was said to have built the first
upstairs in Ikwerre.
They said he, Igwe, having worked with the
first breed of Westerners that came to the
area, was able to utilize his wealth to
enrich the history of his people, which
many of his kind could not.

In the olden days, houses were built
according to the social class a person
belongs.
But the Orho elu (storey building) built by
the late Igwe added another dimension to
the types of houses known then. It is the
first of its kind.

Re: (photos):behold The Oldest Storey Building In Rivers State - Vanguard News by TrishaP(f): 6:20pm On Jan 03, 2015
Lol I trust my LGA with their ekeiik buildings grin grin. The building has tried o! So after all those fights they didnt touch this building. Thank God for the owner. But this one looks tus.h.. Wait till you see my Greatgrand fathers kitchen that is still standing, you'll run grin grin

1 Like

Re: (photos):behold The Oldest Storey Building In Rivers State - Vanguard News by 9jvirgin(m): 7:00pm On Jan 03, 2015
The owner would have been an active participant in the slave trade

1 Like

Re: (photos):behold The Oldest Storey Building In Rivers State - Vanguard News by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jan 03, 2015
hmm..
nice house
Re: (photos):behold The Oldest Storey Building In Rivers State - Vanguard News by reaky(m): 8:09pm On Jan 03, 2015
That should be another tourist site undecided
Re: (photos):behold The Oldest Storey Building In Rivers State - Vanguard News by Fash20: 8:16pm On Jan 03, 2015
I know when it was built I was -175 year old then grin

(1) (Reply)

UK Deports 5-year-old South West Nigerian Boy (PHOTOS) / The Most Fraudulent Election In History(pix)-Guinness Book / Why Jonathan Will Get Majority Votes In South-west!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.