Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,213 members, 7,836,033 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre (1394 Views)

FG Ends Kerosene Subsidy, To Sell For N83 Per Litre / Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year. FG To Sell Petrol At 97 / See Wat Fashola Told GEJ When There Was Oil Slump+Hike In Fuel Price In 2014(Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by ducii: 1:58pm On Jan 05, 2015
With the price of the global benchmark Brent crude closing at $57.94 per barrel last Monday, Nigerian government is now paying just 90 kobo as subsidy for a litre of petrol.

The Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency, which last updated the approved prices of the product on December 29, 2014, is expected to update the pricing template on Monday (today). But the last update put the Expected Open Market Price of petrol at N97.90.

Brent crude, which peaked at $115 per barrel in June 2014, stood at $56.42 on Sunday.

The Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, had in December said that preliminary estimates showed that the break-even crude oil price at which the landed cost of petrol would equal the current price of N97 per litre so that there would no longer be subsidy was about $60 per barrel.

Against the backdrop of the fall in global oil prices, the landing cost of petrol dropped to N82.41 per litre as of Monday, December 29, from N127.57 on November 3, the PPPRA data showed.

Subsidy refers to the money paid, usually by the government, to keep prices below what they will otherwise be in a free market system.

With the reduction in the retail price of petrol to N97.90 on December 29, the Federal Government’s spending on petrol subsidy has, therefore, fallen to a five-year low of N0.90 per litre as of that date, compared to N44.94 on November 3, 2014. The regulated pump price of petrol is N97.

As of November 3, the retail price of petrol was N141.94 per litre, the PPPRA stated.

Nigeria, Africa’s top oil producer, relies on importation for most of its fuel needs as the country’s refineries are in a poor state. The fall in oil price has triggered the decline in the landing cost of petrol.

There have been calls in some quarters on the government to reduce the pump price of petroleum products as the price of crude oil, which constitutes a major component in the pricing template, have plunged by more than 50 per cent.

Okonjo-Iweala had in the overview of the 2015 budget proposal dated December 17, 2014, said, “Many Nigerians have rightly asked when the pump price of Premium Motor Spirit will be reduced, given the declining price of oil. As you know, the relevant agency of government responsible for petroleum product pricing matters is the PPPRA.

“The information we have is that they are now updating their template based on recent developments and we hope they can address this issue soon. However, preliminary estimates show that the break-even crude oil price at which the landed cost of PMS will equal our current price of N97 per litre so that there will no longer be subsidy is about $60 per barrel.”

She further said, “It is only when the crude oil price (Bonny Light) falls below this level that the pump price of PMS (which includes N15.49 per litre distribution and Petroleum Equalisation Fund cost) can begin to come down. The break-even price of crude oil would have been higher were it not for the N15.49 per litre distribution margin.”

Okonjo-Iweala said the oil price was extremely volatile and “we need to see the price settle at a particular level for sometime before taking a decision on what to do with the pump price.”

Provision for fuel subsidy as contained in the 2015 budget proposal is N291bn, down by N680bn from the N971bn approved for 2014.

The Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry had in its 2014 Economic Review and Outlook for 2015, said, “With the current level of global oil price, it will be difficult to justify budget provisioning for fuel subsidy.”

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/oil-slump-cuts-subsidy-to-90-kobo-per-litre/
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by Acekidc4(m): 2:12pm On Jan 05, 2015
*Spaced Booked!*

Coming Right Back!!!
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jan 05, 2015
Isn't this the best time to deregulate the downstream sector? If oil subsidy is removed now, Nigerians won't feel the effect much.

Subsidy must go to allow a free market in the oil and gas sector.
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by LRNZH(m): 2:36pm On Jan 05, 2015
So theyre basically not paying subsidy anymore.

Nna Bia...
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by nduchucks: 2:44pm On Jan 05, 2015
As os Dec 16, subsidy was N.4.48 per litre. Today we are told that it has dropped to 90kobo/litre. Iweala told us a few months ago that if the price of crude oil drops to $60/barrel, there would be no need for subsidy.

So I ask these rogues, why the heck are they still paying the subsidy thieves billions of naira when the price of oil has dropped to $56/barrel without any sign of rebounding in the next few years?

GEJ will act clueless once again and will say nothing about this, or order NNPC to terminate the subsidy. Imagine the goodwill GEJ will gain by announcing the termination of these subsidy payments along with a cut in the price of petrol & Kerosine.

1 Like

Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by ducii: 3:10pm On Jan 05, 2015
nduchucks:
As os Dec 16, subsidy was N.4.48 per litre. Today we are told that it has dropped to 90kobo/litre. Iweala told us a few months ago that if the price of crude oil drops to $60/barrel, there would be no need for subsidy.

So I ask these rogues, why the heck are they still paying the subsidy thieves billions of naira when the price of oil has dropped to $56/barrel without any sign of rebounding in the next few years?

GEJ will act clueless once again and will say nothing about this, or order NNPC to terminate the subsidy. Imagine the goodwill GEJ will gain by announcing the termination of these subsidy payments along with a cut in the price of petrol & Kerosine.

The subsidy will be removed
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by nduchucks: 3:22pm On Jan 05, 2015
ducii:

The subsidy will be removed

What are they waiting for?
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by Collynzo9: 3:24pm On Jan 05, 2015
I don't mind paying N 98 for one litre, they should remove the subsidy entirely.

90 kobo per litre still runs into billions in total, why not remove the thing entirely and put the billions to better uses?
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by ducii: 3:42pm On Jan 05, 2015
Collynzo9:
I don't mind paying N 98 for one litre, they should remove the subsidy entirely.

90 kobo per litre still runs into billions in total, why not remove the thing entirely and put the billions to better uses?

I agree
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jan 05, 2015
In any situation, someone somewhere is busy subsidising himself and family to the detriment of Nigerians cool
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by ducii: 3:57pm On Jan 05, 2015
sunnyshayne:
In any situation, someone somewhere is busy subsidising himself and family to the detriment of Nigerians cool

You need to explain more
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by LRNZH(m): 3:59pm On Jan 05, 2015
Collynzo9:

ducii:

I agree

[b]Let me tell you guys what they're afraid of.
It is 98kobo per liter because oil price is around $56 per barrel.
However, if they remove subsidy and oil prices climb back up, fuel prices will similarly climb and we may end up paying up to N 150 per liter for PMS. This is because we import most of our fuel needs and imported fuels are subject to global oil price. That will cause chaos in this country.

The ideal solution was missed by the GEJ gov't. In January 2012, we had the #OcuppyNigeria protests and the govt promised two refineries.

Fast forward to today and not even TAM or meaningful privatisation of the refineries have occured. We are not refining anything close to meeting our national fuel requirements.

Local refining is the only shock prove solution to swinging oil prices as we refine our own crude, and not buy from the international market.
You can't be farming yam and be buying pounded yam at exhorbitant price. You pound yours.

Another point is maybe the FG is the cabal and won't want subsidy to go away. Afterall, it is a massive cash cow for alot of vested interests.[/b]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jan 05, 2015
If you refine your crude then you needn't talk about subsidy. The amount spent on this subsidy already could have built many refineries for Nigeria! I don't know why our leaders and policy makers are so stup!d. It makes no sense to me.
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by Collynzo9: 4:09pm On Jan 05, 2015
LRNZH:

However, if they remove subsidy and oil prices climb back up, fuel prices will similarly climb and we may end up paying up to N 150 per liter for PMS. This is because we import most of our fuel needs and imported fuels are subject to global oil price. That will cause chaos in this country.

The ideal solution was missed by the GEJ gov't. In January 2012, we had the #OcuppyNigeria protests and the govt promised two refineries.

Fast forward to today and not even TAM or meaningful privatisation of the refineries have occured. We are not refining anything close to meeting our national fuel requirements.

Local refining is the only shock prove solution to swinging oil prices as we refine our own crude, and not buy from the international market.
You can't be farming yam and be buying pounded yam at exhorbitant price. You pound yours.

Another point is maybe the FG is the cabal and won't want subsidy to go away. Afterall, it is a massive cash cow for alot of vested interests.[/b]
Dangote and Orient refineries are being built.
As for the prices, they can always bring back the subsidy if crude oil prices increases, which isn't very likely anyway.
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by ducii: 4:11pm On Jan 05, 2015
LRNZH:

Dangote's refinery is coming in 2016, they are already hiring. A friend of mine went for the interview.
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by ducii: 4:13pm On Jan 05, 2015
Nobleval:
If you refine your crude then you needn't talk about subsidy. The amount spent on this subsidy already could have built many refineries for Nigeria! I don't know why our leaders and policy makers are so stup!d. It makes no sense to me.

it cost more than 97kobo a litre to refine crude, that is why you have the subsidy in the first place
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by LRNZH(m): 4:21pm On Jan 05, 2015
Collynzo9:

Dangote and Orient refineries are being built.
As for the prices, they can always bring back the subsidy if crude oil prices increases, which isn't very likely anyway.

ducii:

Dangote's refinery is coming in 2016, they are already hiring. A friend of mine went for the interview.

It took the Govt 5 years to do a lazy job which is giving licenses to private folks to build refineries. It is just a license.

A more serious gov't would have either finished a turn around maintenance on all 4 refineries by now or worked out a partnership with private firms for same to happen.
By now, Nigeria is supposed to be refining 100% o her fuel needs

Once Dangote and Orient refineries come on board, those four NNPC refineries will either be abandoned or sold for peanuts.

Restoring adequate local refining capacity is supposed to be one of GEJ's first term achievements. He is too slow for alo of people who know what the problems of these country are.

Collynzo9.....Reintroduce subsidy? then what's the point of taking it away in the first place? Is it not when oil prices are high that govt complains about heavy subsidy burden?
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by LRNZH(m): 4:35pm On Jan 05, 2015
Nobleval:

ducii:

it cost more than 97kobo a litre to refine crude, that is why you have the subsidy in the first place

[b]Nobleval is right.

We pay subsidy because the cabal fuel importers buy fuel at international price which is dependent on oil price. The foreign refineries buy crude at international price and refine it, then sell the refined products- fuels, petrochemical feeds, bitumen at a markup to make money.

But the Nigerian gov't in the past, felt that as an oil producing country, the masses should not be paying so much (international rates) for fuel even if our refineries are not working. So the govt fixes fuel price lower than the import value and pays the difference including profit to the cabal importers. Morever, the govt always felt that our refineries not working is just a temporary issue hence fuel importation and subsidy were a stop gap solution.

But with local refining especially by the govt, we decide how much we want to sell our own crude to our own refineries. However, I am a bit skeptical about privately owned local refineries because the advantage may be eroded.

If they sell crude to Dangote or Orient at international rates then we don't benefit from local refining as stated above, except associated jobs creation.[/b]
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by ducii: 4:39pm On Jan 05, 2015
LRNZH:

It took the Govt 5 years to do a lazy job which is giving licenses to private folks to build refineries. It is just a license.

A more serious gov't would have either finished a turn around maintenance on all 4 refineries by now or worked out a partnership with private firms for same to happen.
By now, Nigeria is supposed to be refining 100% o her fuel needs

Once Dangote and Orient refineries come on board, those four NNPC refineries will either be abandoned or sold for peanuts.

Restoring adequate local refining capacity is supposed to be one of GEJ's first term achievements. He is too slow for alo of people who know what the problems of these country are.

I agree with you on GEJ being slow, but the issue of a turn-around maintenance on the NNPC refineries is a no no, not with all the corruption that has marred that sector.

I think when the private refineries come in, it will help us stop this subsidy thing, because i can assure you today that those guys will not sell their refined petrol at 98 kobo, mark my words.
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jan 05, 2015
LRNZH:

[b]Nobleval is right.

We pay subsidy because the cabal fuel importers buy fuel at international price which is dependent on oil price. The foreign refineries buy crude at international price and refine it, then sell the refined products- fuels, petrochemical feeds, bitumen at a markup to make money.

But the Nigerian gov't in the past, felt that as an oil producing country, the masses should not be paying so much (international rates) for fuel even if our refineries are not working. So the govt fixes fuel price lower than the import value and pays the difference including profit to the cabal importers. Morever, te givt always felt that our refineries no working is just a temporary issue hence fuel imporation and subsidy as a stop gap.

But with local refining especially by the govt, we decide how much we want to sell our own crude to our own refineries. However, I am a bit skeptical about privately owne local refineries because the advantage may be eroded.

If they sell crude to Dangote or Orient at international rates then we don't benefit from local refining as stated above except the associated job creation.[/b]
thank you bro,I just had time to laugh at his ignorance and move on. I hope he reads this.
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by LRNZH(m): 4:50pm On Jan 05, 2015
ducii:

I agree with you on GEJ being slow, but the issue of a turn-around maintenance on the NNPC refineries is a no no, not with all the corruption that has marred that sector.

I think when the private refineries come in, it will help us stop this subsidy thing, because i can assure you today that those guys will not sell their refined petrol at 98 kobo, mark my words.

That excuse irks me. If I am President, there are key projects that will be directly under the presidency or have weekly presidency reporting. Let me see that bastard's son that wants to steal.
Power generation is one. Refineries TAM is another one. If they want to stamp out corruption in specific projects or key sectors, they can. General corruption is what needs more work.

Honestly GEJ lacks the vision for effective leadership. Maybe he has the good heart and intentions but the capacity is lacking. I'm sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings but I'm saying the truth from my observations in over 6 years of his public life.
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by omowolewa: 4:53pm On Jan 05, 2015
They shouldn't bother to reduce the pump price.

FG has shouldered the load when the going was tough, I think they deserve the gentle smile when the load is lighter.

Not like as if they doing us a favor but tax revenue is needed at this point to manage the exchange rate effect.

Truth be told, had it been our refineries are working well, our import volume would not be that much. And our naira won't have nose dived to this extent.

When we told them at Lagos, they said it was APC rally, they roll out the tank against civilians. They punished the mass instead of cabals.

(Na my opinion o, subsidy na serious matter)
Re: Oil Slump Cuts Subsidy To 90 Kobo Per Litre by ducii: 5:13pm On Jan 05, 2015
LRNZH:

That excuse irks me. If I am President, there are key projects that will be directly under the presidency or have weekly presidency reporting. Let me see that bastard's son that wants to steal.
Power generation is one. Refineries TAM is another one. If they want to stamp out corruption in specific projects or key sectors, they can. General corruption is what needs more work.

Honestly GEJ lacks the vision for effective leadership. Maybe he has the good heart and intentions but the capacity is lacking. I'm sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings but I'm saying the truth from my observations in over 6 years of his public life.

You don't need to apologize to anybody, you have the right to air your views, but what i am saying is that they have done maintenance jobs in those refineries in the past, but those jobs were badly done, look at what happened in the aviation sector, where billions of Naira was spent on badly done renovations at the various Airports. I think GEJ has a very good intention for Nigeria, but the people around him has let him down due to their greed. And his weakness is that he does not have the cojones to discipline people around him, and they know it, that is why it looks like there is too much corruption in the polity.

(1) (Reply)

Pictures From The Campaign Of Engr. Dave Umahi At Abakaliki Local Government / Nigeria Police Redeploy Controversial AIG Mbu, 27 Others / Breaking!!The Dark Art Tinubu Buhari Apc Use On Nigerians And Blair Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.