Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida (1402 Views)

Buhari Bring Back Our Corruption Now Trending-pics / North Getting Poorer, Says Babangida Aliyu / FLASHBACK: Younger Generation Can’t Rule Nigeria, Says Babangida (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by Rexsul: 6:07am On Jan 06, 2015
Former Military President Ibrahim Babangida has faulted the perception that he is corrupt.

He challenged anybody with proof of corruption during his 1985 – 1993 regime to come forward with them.

Gen. Babangida said members of his government are angels compared with what he is reading in the newspapers about what is going on now.

He requested any Nigerian with a shred of corruption against him to release the facts to the public.

The former military president said the $12.4b Gulf Oil War windfall of 1991 was not stolen.

Gen. Babangida made the clarifications in an interview with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission’s press crew for the agency’s in-house magazine, “Zero tolerance.”

The EFCC released the transcript of the interview to reporters in Abuja yesterday.

He said: “Let me tell you something, maybe you have a hand in it. I have been the most investigated President Nigeria has ever had. By now, somebody should have come forward to say here it is.

“Every government that came after me investigated me because of that perception as they wanted to retrieve the billions I stole.”

He said he and those who served in his administration were saints and angels going by the level of corruption in the country.

“Well, we had different approaches. I think my government was able to identify corruption-prone areas and checked them. If you remember in this country, there were things they call essential commodities. These are also sources of corruption. You go and buy Omo or food or whatever it is and we got government to take its hands off such activities. Let people use their own brains, hands and labour, nobody has to do it for them. So we did but I am proud to say that was much more effective.

“I don’t have the facts but if what I read in the newspapers is currently what is happening then I think we were angels

On the allegation that his military regime institutionalized corruption in Nigeria, Gen. Babangida said though he had been aware of such insinuation, the assumption is incorrect.

He added: “Yeah, I know. Maybe I have to accept that but anybody with a sense of fairness has no option but to call us saints. I give you an example, in a year I was making less than $7billion in oil revenue. In the same period, there are governments that are making $200billion to $300billion.

“With $7billion, I did the little I could achieve. With $200billion, there is still a lot to be achieved.”

The ex-President said being branded as corrupt was a question of perception.

He said: “It is said that perception is not reality. Why the perception? I should ask you because it is the perception of the media. You believed quite wrongly that we are all crooks and I bear no grudge whatsoever against anybody but I know time will come when they will say after all, they did something and this is what is happening.

“Now, even our fiercest critics give us credit for certain things we did.”

Pressed further on his investments, Babangida admitted owning shares in a bank.

The interaction is as follows:

What are these investments?

I would assure you, using my head, I came to the conclusion that the best investment for someone like me is banking. That’s all.

You have shares in banks?

How many banks?

No, in one bank.

A major shareholder, sir?

Yes

Which bank are we talking of?

(Cuts in)…Again investigate…laughs.

On how he built his Hilltop Mansion in Minna, Babangida said: “I cannot estimate because it has appreciated. I know what my friends spent. No, my friends contributed.

“They were friends before we came into government and friends while I was in government.

“I started building it in 1991, took two to three years so that by the time I finished, I would have a house to sleep in.”

Concerning the $12.4billion oil windfall from the 1991 Gulf War, Babangida insisted the money was not stolen.

“First of all, that war lasted three months, about ninety something days. It didn’t last up to a year. So get the facts straight.

“Secondly, the oil price at that time was below $18 per barrel. So, there is no way you could make $12.4billion in three months.

“We could not have made that amount of money but Pius Okigbo knew what he was doing. He had brains and he said between 1986 or 1988 to 1994, monies accrued to the Federal Government at that time was about that money you are calling windfall. He said so. It is there in his book.

“Then the other thing he said, the monies could have gone into generative investment. I am not an economist but I have an understanding of what this is.

“Our argument then was if you have the money, why keep it and be looking at it when you have a lot of things that will benefit the ordinary man. So that money was not stolen.

“It is what you see now in the country. Thank God most of the infrastructure we put in place are what you are using today and proudly so.”

Asked to identify the infrastructure, Gen. Babangida said: “Abuja for example, I built Abuja. Today, we have a brand new capital. We used that money.

“I gave you a Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos. You cannot build it now for all the money Nigeria is making. And what did it cost me? N500million, N600million, N700million.

“For the first time, a dual carriage way was seen in the Northern part of the country between Kaduna and Kano and then linked it up from Abuja. You cannot afford to do it now; you cannot even afford to touch it because there are a lot of competing needs.”

Despite the annulment of the June 12, 1993 presidential election, he admitted that the poll was the most credible in the history of Nigeria.

He also opened up on why a former Minister of FCT, Gen. Mamman Vatsa was killed after his involvement in the 1995 coup d’etat.

He said his hands were tied by military law which was inevitably applied by his regime.

The annulled poll was won by the late business mogul, Chief M.K.O. Abiola, who later died in detention while struggling to reclaim his mandate.

Babangida said: “Yes, it (June 12) is a day in the history of Nigeria and the day the most credible election was held

“We gave you a lot of reasons but I understood the passion. At that time, everybody was fed up. The sentiment was: just pack your things and go. Our thought process is very limited.

“First of all, on June 23, 1993, I was on the air and I told Nigerians why we had to do what we did but I was sensible enough to know that whatever I said nobody was interested. So, the important thing is get out.”

He admitted that the annulment was supported by some Nigerians and pro-June 12 activists.

He added: “I hate to say it but when we annulled June 12 poll, the same Nigerians supported the intervention of the military, true or false?

“True because you saw it, you are old enough. All those who fought for June 12 ended up serving the military government they didn’t like and that perpetuated a longer stay of the military in government.”

Asked why he used the phrase ‘step aside’ to leave power in 1993, Babangida said it was a military parlance.

“Everyone of you though that I was not keeping pace with the Nigerian dream. We have a tradition in the military. If you are marching in a column, when they say left, you should obey the command. If you right foot, somebody will shout at you because you are affecting the column, you should step aside so that the column will continue. That was what I did.”

On why Gen. Mamman Vatsa was killed, Gen. Babangida said he was hamstrung by the law.

He added: “Because others before him faced the same law, the only change in that law was introduced by us to give room for appeal.

“If I was involved in that coup and it flopped, I would have been shot too. So it is the application of the law but then it is painful.

“We made the law, others suffered the consequences.”

Responding to a question, Babangida said the military indulged in coup d’etat each time there was frustration in the society.

He however described military interregnum as a phase that the country was going through at that time.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/corruption-now-worse-says-babangida/

Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by Nobody: 6:13am On Jan 06, 2015
smiley
Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by FastShipping: 6:14am On Jan 06, 2015
I can't believe Jonathan father said that. grin grin grin

I thought GEJ just went to see his "fada"? grin

4 Likes

Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by azimibraun: 6:19am On Jan 06, 2015
Coming. At thesame time OBJ was firing from another angle? Ah! GEJ is done for. Papa Jona has spoken let GEJ's siblings respond.

1 Like

Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by Rexsul: 6:24am On Jan 06, 2015
I can't believe our great IBB said this.......can somebody call 911 plzzz sad sad sad wink

1 Like

Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by lastmanstandn(m): 6:25am On Jan 06, 2015
Hmmmm lipsrsealed
Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by azimibraun: 6:27am On Jan 06, 2015
Gej, his wife and band of thieves should do some more Visiting pls. Each time they visit somebody to tell lies and deceive the person and to show to Nigerians they. Have ppls support, they turn around and the get hit by verbal bombs. GEJ sent ppl to Otta what happened next, OBJ released verbal bombs on GEJ and crew, PEJ went to Fr Mbaka to grab support and decieve the public she has Mbaka in hand, she turned back Boooooosaaa!!! Mbaka unleashed the Dragon. GEJ took 30cameras to Minna to expose IBB as an ally, Ibb who is managin his health quitely. And trying not to be probed by the incoming Buhari/Osinbajo APC, GEJ turns back kabooooom!!! IBB drops it. More visits pls GEJ and Thieves.

8 Likes

Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by ramdris(m): 6:29am On Jan 06, 2015
Though I don't like dis guy bt all he said were facts. GEJ government is the most corrupt in the history of this.great nation.

3 Likes

Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by EasternLeopard: 6:32am On Jan 06, 2015
ramdris:
Though I don't like dis guy bt all he said were facts. GEJ government is the most corrupt in the history of this.great nation.

See your small brain

If others had passed FOI bill earlier, you will be calling GEJ a people's man
Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by azimibraun: 6:33am On Jan 06, 2015
OBJ, Buhari, Tinubu, El-Rufai, IBB ok ameachi has imunity.. all these ppl have been attacking how come the GEJ. Ppl can't check the records and shut them up with facts and evidences of corruption and do the needful? GEJ's ppl will respond by telling you he is a gentleman. Which kind Mumu " jenturuman" be dat? Even Obama won't be quite and watch an" alleged" thief run him down without hitting back. Jona, Agbati, Okupe, Reno et al. Hit. Back with. The needful or the above mentioned verbalist and authors( bcoos som wrote books) are forever innocent and non currupt public servant when they served.
Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by azimibraun: 6:38am On Jan 06, 2015
GEJ the JENTURUMAN! Fela said " me I no be jenturuman like dat... I be African man original.... GEJ in Africa if u insult my father.. I go insult your papa back. Now these Men don insult your papa... Oya check records look for insult fire their papa back. I dey wait for GEJ response. If he has any anyway. Managin the most corrupt administration ever waseth. GEJ make Mobutu appear like amature. Ibb cut for GEJ ah!
Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by doctokwus: 6:52am On Jan 06, 2015
Its d same way that gej would later come and tell us after being booted out that his regime was d best thing after sweet cheese.
These people self.As some wud say, I wonder if they think they are talking to kids.
Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by size38: 7:05am On Jan 06, 2015
Chai! GEJ don kill us oooo! If corruption himself in d name of IBB could cry out about d massive corruption going on in this administration of GEJ, then we are in for d worst in this country.
Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by lawrencemleopo: 7:05am On Jan 06, 2015
requested any Nigerian with a
shred of corruption against him to
release the facts to the public.
na today?

Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by egift(m): 7:23am On Jan 06, 2015
So even IBB is an Angel if compared to Jonathan? Wooow!

Please vote out Jonathan before it is too late.

2 Likes

Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by ramdris(m): 7:28am On Jan 06, 2015
EasternLeopard:

See your small brain

If others had passed FOI bill earlier, you will be calling GEJ a people's man
Lol! How you take see me brain na oga, your eye na xray ni? Anyway, what i was saying is that GEJ is corrupt simply because he is not fighting corruption at all!
Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by Pancho01(m): 8:27am On Jan 06, 2015
So he even knows
Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by Rexsul: 8:34am On Jan 06, 2015
egift:
So even IBB is an Angel if compared to Jonathan? Wooow!

Please vote out Jonathan before it is too late.
I swear it is beta 2 vote IBB/Osibanjo dan Jonathan/Sambo cheesy
Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by legendary11(m): 8:42am On Jan 06, 2015
azimibraun:
Gej, his wife and band of thieves should do some more Visiting pls. Each time they visit somebody to tell lies and deceive the person and to show to Nigerians they. Have ppls support, they turn around and the get hit by verbal bombs. GEJ sent ppl to Otta what happened next, OBJ released verbal bombs on GEJ and crew, PEJ went to Fr Mbaka to grab support and decieve the public she has Mbaka in hand, she turned back Boooooosaaa!!! Mbaka unleashed the Dragon. GEJ took 30cameras to Minna to expose IBB as an ally, Ibb who is managin his health quitely. And trying not to be probed by the incoming Buhari/Osinbajo APC, GEJ turns back kabooooom!!! IBB drops it. More visits pls GEJ and Thieves.

..hv a nice day.
Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by Change2015(m): 8:51am On Jan 06, 2015
Even thief know him senior. Na wa. Jonathan just cannot catch a break. And if Okupe replies carelessly, the votes of Niger state might just disappear into APC hands.

#change
Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by mutiply: 9:22am On Jan 06, 2015
See what gej has cause for himself, when we voted him back then, we all taught he will deliver and fight corruption but he stood his ground and said stealing is not corruption, he sets up committee to look into situations but ignore their reports. Nigerians have opened their eyes to see the truth, even past corrupt leaders and politicians who should be in jail presently are being tagged as saints, some members of his cabinet are working hard to make sure he does not return. Jona, u failed woefully, u don't deserve to repeat.

1 Like

Re: Corruption Now Worse Than Before, Says Babangida by denko(m): 9:34am On Jan 06, 2015
GENERALS ARE PLANNING AGAINST GEJ BEACAUSE OF OIL BLOCK RENUEWAL 2016 WE SEE ABT THAT OBJ, BABANGIDA AND ALL THE REST

(1) (Reply)

Why I Support Buhari/osibanjo By Pastor Sunday Adelaja / Common sense / It Is Impossible To Hack Into INEC Database, Punctures SSS Claims.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.