Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,889 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:23 PM

How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister (1440 Views)

Ex-Police IG, Etim Inyang Is Dead (Photo) / Don’t Threaten Danjuma, ACF Warns Tompolo, Dokubo / Niger Delta Oil Is Useless. Tompolo, Dokubo Are Cowards.- A Radio Caller. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by Crownofwealth(m): 7:29am On Jan 06, 2015
Alaowei Broderick Bozimo, a renowned lawyer and elder statesman from Delta State was
Minister of Police Affairs during the President Olusegun Obasanjo administration. In this
interview in his Warri country home, he discusses the politics surrounding the recent
acquisition of warships by High Chief Government Ekpemupolo a.k.a Tompolo for a
government agency, says President Goodluck Jonathan is in good position to win the
presidential election, ethnic relations in the Niger Delta among other issues. Excerpts
By Akpokona Omafuaire
As a former minister of police affairs with insight into security matters, are you worried by
insinuations that the recent purchase of warships for NIMASA by Chief Government
Ekpemupolo’s company could be a cover for ethnic and other political battles in the Niger
Delta?
First of all, military or security equipment are always procured through contractors. The
army or police, whenever they want to purchase equipment, put out tender for it and
acquisition is made through contractors and the supply is delivered to the police, army,
navy as the case may be.
So the mere fact that on this occasion, the contractor is Tompolo makes people feel
jittery.
Let me also say that people, that is the former militants you know were on ground in the
creeks, they know where the bunkerers go through and where security breaches can
happen, so the moment the NIMASA or navy seek assistance to police these areas, they
are the persons best suited for the kind of gadgets, the kind of boat that can assist in
arresting this kind of bunkering and that explains why you have people like Tompolo
assisting in the West and the likes of Asari Dokubo assisting in the East because they
know the terrain and what the issues are so they assist government and NIMASA.
I think that the whole thing is politically structured to demonize people like Tompolo and
then distract attention from the real issues.
In any event, this thing has been there for over two years, how come that on the eve of
the elections this matter resurfaces and Tompolo is being presented as a general who can
take on the Nigerian Army or indeed the whole world? I think it is mischievous and
politically motivated.
Now, I want you to draw
a parallel with what is
happening in the North
East, remember on one
occasion I had advised
that we should have
community soldiering as
we had community
policing and that was the
strategy that was
virtually adopted and
you can see the results
with local hunters and
vigilante who know the
terrain. They are able to
take on the Boko Haram
and more effectively than
soldiers who are well trained but who don’t seem to have the stomach to want to fight.
If Nigerian soldiers really want to fight, Boko Haram is no match but we all know that we
have fifth columnists, people who are half hearted about the battle run away when they see
the insurgents because they don’t want to engage them but the vigilante groups and the
hunters who are committed to defend their territory, do.
You see the result, they are very effective. So drawing a parallel, that is why I say that
when you have militants and young men who were fighting in the creeks to redeem
themselves of the oppression of oil companies and the injustices in the Niger Delta, these
people know the terrain and what the challenges are, so it was only natural for them to
assist the authorities the way they have done.
Somebody talks about the vessels having guns installed on them, that is the standard
practice, as Minister of Police Affairs, when we got boats from contractors and we gave
them to police, the police will always adapt them for their own use, they will mount guns
on these boat for their purposes, so it is no big deal for what we are seeing with NIMASA
and the patrols.
Now, you find out that because the patrols have been very successful, the bunkerers have
resorted to going into the high seas where they go to establish their taps virtually on the
bed of the river to get crude oil out.
So, we must be careful, we politicians, let us not politicize this issue. I read in the media
where someone said Tompolo has acquired warships and wonders what will happen, bla
bla bla an all that.
Re-establishing peace in Warri
We have re-established peace in Warri and we want it to stay that way, we don’t want
people inciting the various tribes against each other. For one reason or the other we want
peace to endure because without peace certainly development will continue to elude us
and our people will not be happy. We know what we went through during the last episode
of war between the Ijaws and Itsekiris or indeed the Urhobos and Ijaws, we have had
enough of that, we want to live our lives in peace and politicians should stay away from
these places and not incite the various tribes against each other.
What is your reaction to the decision of the House of Representatives to investigate the
purchases of the warships?
Well, I don’t have any quagmire about that at all, well if in exercise of their oversight
functions they want to investigate, why not?
But don’t you think the Itsekiri people should really be afraid of the warships given the
friction occasioned by the EPZ disagreement?
I think the fears are unjustified, and let me also say quickly that if you look at the
undercurrent or the underlying factors that gave birth to these fears, you find out again
that it is all politics.
You know that there are allegations that Tompolo influenced the coming about of the local
government Chairman of Warri South West Council Area. So where anything doesn’t go
right in Warri South West Council, Tompolo is the chap you batter.
The EPZ project seems to have strained the relationship that existed between the Ijaws of
Gbaramatu and their Itsekiri neighbours, what is your opinion?
Well, as you know, I am an Ijaw man and therefore I don’t want to say anything that will
give the impression that I am biased, so I move on from all that. But what concerns me is
that I was involved in the sense that we felt the full brunt of the Itsekiri/Ijaw war that
occurred several years ago. I remember, we had to relocate form Warri every time the
bombs and bullets were flying to our various villages.
I believe that the establishment of the EPZ is a very healthy thing, it is good for Ijaw,
Itsekiri and Nigeria, there must be a way where we dialogue and resolve it. My personal
view is that if acquisitions have been made and the engineers are there they can start,
every other outstanding issue can be addressed later. This country is in a hurry for
development, our crude oil prices have dramatically dropped, the economy is getting
knocks here and there, so anything we should do to prop up the economy, we must do
instantly. It mustn’t be dragged down with these arguments.
As far as I am concerned, a rose still smells as a rose, it doesn’t matter what name you
gave to it. So naming of the EPZ and quarrel here and there to stop the project from going
on I don’t subscribe to it.
Sufficient wars
I believe that we the Ijaws and Itsekiris can strike a balance along the way, whether we like
it or not eventually we must jaw-jaw. Nobody can take on war now between the Itsekiris
and Ijaws, I know that the Ijaws don’t want war; I dare say too that the Itsekiris don’t want
war because we have had sufficient wars. So these so-called people instigating this thing
when the bullets will fly they will take off, some to America, Europe, some of them to the
villages and disappear and Warri will be left in ashes. We have had enough of that that is
my personal view.
The EPZ naming has degenerated to the matter of land ownership; don’t you fret that this
can lead to war?
I don’t think so, as I have already said, none of these tribes have the stomach for any more
wars that is the first point. But, you will see people posturing, trying to impress the
various tribal group saying I spoke loudest, I defended our people more, it is all
politicking, that is my view on that. Let me also add that of course land is always at the
bottom of these things, but I know also that by virtue of the land use act, all lands within
the territory of Delta State is vested on the governor on behalf of all the people of the
state. So when you come to the bottom of it all, you see land is important but my view is
that it must never obstruct the development of our area because at the end of it we will
suffer, the land will be there, all of us will die and go away but the land will be there.
Since the emergence of Sen. Ifeanyi Okowa as the PDP governorship flag bearer in the
coming election, there has been stern bickering amongst ethnic group on who will
produce the Deputy Governor, with some ethnic insistent to dump the party if they are not
given the slot, what is your view?
Well, I suppose that is what politics and democracy is all about, people get into politics o
win power that is all they are there for.
Strongest and biggest party
Politicians want to win power to do good for their people hopefully, at times they even do
bad for their people, so that is the to be expected but what one is finding now, it is
becoming almost obscene, everybody threatening to leave one party for the other
especially the PDP being the strongest and biggest party. People tend to blackmail the
PDP for all sorts of reasons, it is very unfortunate, I don’t want to mention tribes but we
all know that most of the tribes, their trump card is that it either goes this way or we are
going to vote that way en mass, this is the trend and is very unfortunate.
Because I thought that the whole idea of a free and fair playing field was for Nigerians to
study the programmes of the parties and vote convinced one way or the other. But the way
it is going, it seems as if nobody is interested in the programmes of the parties, all they
do is this is what I want if you don’t give it to my tribe then all hell will break lose. I think
it is high time honesty and I dare say somebody like Jonathan -he may be smiling all the
time but I think the man may surprise everybody – might just say, I will finish and go to
my creek and stay.
The man is not that desperate that he will do anything to win power, he has said so, he
said he won’t shed any blood of any Nigerian to win power.
And I think that he is honestly and genuinely doing his best for this country but this sort
of blackmail from the tribes and all kinds of groups. If I were he, I will just call everybody’s
bluff and say okay let’s see, if you cut our nose to spite your face, that is your business,
that will be my attitude but it is very unfortunate.
Do you suppose that Jonathan has performed adequately to win re-election as President?
Of course, that is what I am really saying, but for his performance all these blackmails from
former heads of state, from all kinds of quarters, from even friends who he ought to trust,
from Boko Haram , from this group, from that group, from every possible person wouldn’t
be there.
I believe very strongly that at the end of it, truth will prevail and by the time people get to
vote they will think carefully that it is not by shouting or grandstanding nor blackmail or
threats. At the sober moment, Nigerians will vote right because God is a Nigerian.
What counsel do you have for Deltans as we progress towards the elections?
I must say this to Deltans, I myself and some of us believed that power should shift
towards Delta North, from day one that is the position I took, and I am quite happy that the
shift has produced a solid person that is Sen. Ifeanyi Okowa.
You know he is very humble, resourceful, intelligent and calm, I believe that he deserves
to be voted for as governor. So I advise that all of us, my father’s people the Ijaws, my
mother’s people the Urhobos will join hands and deliver Okowa, at the end of it, we will all
be happy.
Anything short of genuine decision to vote on the records of the acceptability of the
candidate, anything short on that in the long run will spell disaster for us as a state.
Lastly, was it true that it was Tompolo who arm twisted the governor to back down on his
senatorial ambition?
Tompolo! how?, Well I don’t know about that, I think you should ask Tompolo, the
governor and the deputy governor, but I don’t know that. The governor is a young friend of
mine, very sensible man I don’t think he is a kind of man that you just threatened like that,
after all Tompolo has been in this state all the while with the governor, so how would he
threaten him, that he will kill the Governor or what, I don’t think that is the real thing, I am
sure that the real thing is somewhere else I don’t know, I can’t help you there, perhaps
you ask them yourself.
Re: How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by Crownofwealth(m): 7:29am On Jan 06, 2015
Re: How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by LRNZH(m): 7:30am On Jan 06, 2015
Hewo, Story for Egyptian gods.
I'm laughing in hieroglyphics.
*"§¶°¿~ grin~~~!!! grin grin grin

Ok I'm done.

400,000 barrels of crude oil that Tompolo and other GEJ's goons steal every day amounts to about $10Billion of lost revenue annually by the FG.

Alaowei Broderick Bozimo. Lets mark his name.
If he comes anywhere close to contesting for elections, dig up this statement.

Alright, allow the Egyptian gods rest.

Yeye man.

GMB2015. Anti-corruption is in our DNA

2 Likes

Re: How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by jingh(f): 7:36am On Jan 06, 2015
A criminal bought warship
and you are saying keeping Nigeria safe
can gud come from Satan ?
is he now d navy ? The world is laughing terribly at us.
Re: How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by Nobody: 7:50am On Jan 06, 2015
^^ security are best obtained from the indigenous of a terrain.
Thats why their is a clamour for state police.
Re: How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by donmalcolm21(m): 7:57am On Jan 06, 2015
I disagree with this old fool, arming militants are dangerous on the long run
Re: How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by theM16: 8:00am On Jan 06, 2015
The retar*ds at d helm of affairs in naija.
Re: How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by tempex88(m): 8:23am On Jan 06, 2015
In Nigeria, we have embraced the style of using evil to fight evil in the name of amnesty. Am sure these ND lords are raising and army more intelligent than boko haram
Re: How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by Nobody: 8:38am On Jan 06, 2015
this my Ijaw kinsmen are so funny

1 Like

Re: How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by Crownofwealth(m): 10:55am On Jan 06, 2015
I weep for nigeria.
Re: How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by double0seven(m): 12:15pm On Jan 06, 2015
So since when do militants become defence or military contractors? So Tompolo is now a defense contactor with expertise in procuring war ships for the Navy? The guy is talking nonsense.
Re: How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by Crownofwealth(m): 12:39pm On Jan 06, 2015
double0seven:
So since when do militants become defence or military contractors? So Tompolo is now a defense contactor with expertise in procuring war ships for the Navy? The guy is talking nonsense.
not only nonsense bt gibbrish.
Re: How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by amakufrancis(m): 12:52pm On Jan 06, 2015
Tompolo carry on.

we day your back
Re: How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by Crownofwealth(m): 2:00pm On Jan 08, 2015
nigeria has become a place where criminals are celebrated.too bad
Re: How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by Adminisher: 2:12pm On Jan 08, 2015
DEATHMACHINE:
this my Ijaw kinsmen are so funny

A disgrace of a minister. Militants are keeping Nigeria safe maybe Boko Haram should be guarding Aso Rock.
Re: How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by buchichukwu69: 3:23pm On Jan 08, 2015
THIS COUNTRY DON SCATTER FINISH. SO NA MILITANTS BE OUR SECURITY PEOPLE NOW.
JONA DON FINISH US.

GMB 2015
Re: How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by MansaMoussa: 4:02pm On Jan 08, 2015
LRNZH:
Hewo, Story for Egyptian gods.
I'm laughing in hieroglyphics.
*"§¶°¿~ grin~~~!!! grin grin grin

Ok I'm done.

400,000 barrels of crude oil that Tompolo and other GEJ's goons steal every day amounts to about $10Billion of lost revenue annually by the FG.

Alaowei Broderick Bozimo. Lets mark his name.
If he comes anywhere close to contesting for elections, dig up this statement.

Alright, allow the Egyptian gods rest.

Yeye man.

GMB2015. Anti-corruption is in our DNA
You didn't put the 2nd Picture na!
Re: How Tompolo, Dokubo Are Keeping Nigeria Safe — Bozimo, Ex-police Affairsminister by Crownofwealth(m): 5:16pm On Jan 08, 2015
lolzzz

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Summons Christian Leaders To Abuja / List Of Yoruba Political Party, Their Leaders And Political Endorsement. / PVC Pickup Location

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.