Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,003 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. (2811 Views)

Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers / From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony / Atheism : The Actual Fulfillment Of This Prophecy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by godsgift233: 3:10pm On Jan 06, 2015
undercat:

Meaningless statement. The rationale for atheism is very clear. Unless you are assuming that anybody who understands it must then become an atheist, that statement is so meaningless. Not everybody is easily swayed, man.

in
addition, most monotheists may
reject other gods because their
religion states that there’s only one
God. That’s clearly not the reason
atheists reject all gods.
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Weah96: 3:44pm On Jan 06, 2015
malvisguy212:
you can google the scientists that are around during that period.

Name one, please. Google is coming up short for me.

1 Like

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by godsgift233: 4:02pm On Jan 06, 2015
spacyzuma:

I love, LOVE!, this statement! Thanks for sharing it.

ya u are welcome.
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by spacyzuma(m): 4:15pm On Jan 06, 2015
godsgift233:

ya u are welcome.
Although I just googled it, and that quote is attributed to Baron d'Holbach http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/quote-h2.htm
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by undercat: 4:17pm On Jan 06, 2015
godsgift233:

in
addition, most monotheists may
reject other gods because their
religion states that there’s only one
God. That’s clearly not the reason
atheists reject all gods.

This only adds to the meaninglessness of the statement. If there are many reasons for rejecting other Gods, why do you say that understanding why one rejects other Gods will lead one to understand atheism?

godsgift233:

To understand via the heart is not
to understand.
A favorite of mine, in a similar vein
to the Seneca the Younger quote:
“If we go back to the beginning we
shall find that ignorance and fear
created the gods, that fancy
enthusiasm or deceit adorned them,
that weakness worships them, that
credulity preserves them, and that
custom respect and tyranny support
them in order to make the
blindness of men serve their own
interests".

Empty allegations. This is certainly not an argument.
Is it even every single god that has been claimed to exist that is the result of ignorance and fear? You’re restricting yourself here
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by plaetton: 6:40pm On Jan 06, 2015
godsgift233:

To understand via the heart is not
to understand.

A favorite of mine, in a similar vein
to the Seneca the Younger quote:
“If we go back to the beginning we
shall find that ignorance and fear
created the gods, that fancy
enthusiasm or deceit adorned them,
that weakness worships them, that
credulity preserves them, and that
custom respect and tyranny support
them in order to make the
blindness of men serve their own
interests".
This is all that anyone needs to know.
It sums up everything that every atheist has ever written on and off this forum.

Case closed.

2 Likes

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by plaetton: 6:45pm On Jan 06, 2015
undercat:

This only adds to the meaninglessness of the statement. If there are many reasons for rejecting other Gods, why do you say that understanding why one rejects other Gods will lead one to understand atheism?

Empty allegations. This is certainly not an argument.
Is it even every single god that has been claimed to exist that is the result of ignorance and fear? You’re restricting yourself here

Just thought I should pinch you a bit to quitely remind you , in wispee tone, that you, sir, are the one making empty statements.
Please calm down sir, others are watching, and I am feeling a bit embarrassed for you.
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by undercat: 8:30pm On Jan 06, 2015
plaetton:

Just thought I should pinch you a bit to quitely remind you , in wispee tone, that you, sir, are the one making empty statements.
Please calm down sir, others are watching, and I am feeling a bit embarrassed for you.

I care about your feelings bae.

The statement that you say sums up what every atheist has been saying barely applies to a deist or pantheist god.
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by plaetton: 8:43pm On Jan 06, 2015
undercat:

I care about your feelings bae.

The statement that you say sums up what every atheist has been saying barely applies to a deist or pantheist god.
The deist and pantheist agree that their notions of god are just notions, mere extrapolations, in as much as they believe it to be right.

I am a pantheist who subscribes to the notion that god can only be the sum of all that exists. It is not an extreneous agent. But is still a mental extrapolation.

1 Like

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by malvisguy212: 9:55pm On Jan 06, 2015
Reiyvinn:

1.) Even as silly and mythical as it sounds, I'll play along with the folly and debunk the folly from its very own folly.

According to Genesis 5:3, Seth who came long after Cain and Abel was born when Adam was 130 years old. Thus, to hammer more nails to that Coffin, Adam was around (i.e slightly under or over) 100 when he had Cain and Abel. Again I ask, Did Adam and Eve Conceive A Whole Nation Within This Period don't forget that Adam didn't produce Cain when he was 1 or 10, and since Cain and Abel had already become men long before seth was born, it's apparent that least 40 should be cut from Adam for Cain, being the firstborn and at least 12 for Abel thus, even the 130 is under reduction; leaving the NATIONS with about 130 - (40 + 12) = 130 - 52 = 78 to be raised from just one generation

Can anything be more ridiculous than this

I hope you're seeing the balderdash yourself.

2.) Regarding in-cest, you still don't get the point, do you?

Ignoring the fact that you presented no evidence of in-cest being once-not-a-gentic-problem, you seem to forget that if all men descended from Adam, every marriage (including your mum and dad) is incest.
the genesis creation account is just a summary details will be revealed to you when you continue reading the bible, the book of job details God creative power, genesis never say God create water but job tell us so.

You misinterpreted the bible,you say NATION but the bible say Cain build a city.the original Hebrew word, translated "city," merely had the meaning of a place that was guarded by
a watch or with a wall. At its minimum,
the Hebrew root referred to an
encampment or post. So, it is entirely
possible that Cain could have built such
a "city."

Ther were no genetic mutations on them because the very first word giving to them was ''be fruitful and multiple'' although the event on the tree happened long before they had children, after that God curse the woman,imposed reproductive. difficulties upon Eve and curse the ground of adam. From that moment,
everything that Adam – and mankind
since – ate had grown in the cursed
ground. Cell by living cell, Adam began to very slowly change from his initial state of eternal perfection to mortal
imperfection, and he finally died at the
age of 930 years [Genesis 5:5].
Nevertheless, Adam and Eve's immediate offspring would have been very close to physical perfection while brother-sister marriages were the only. unions possible!

Further, according to the genealogies
given in Scripture, pre-flood longevity
was about the same as that for Adam, so families were very large compared to
those of today. Brother-sister unions
were not only unavoidable, but they
undoubtedly became traditional and
expected.

Inbreeding among their
offspring did not lead to defects until
many generations later as spontaneous
mutations accumulated. At that point,
God instituted laws against incest to
minimize the expression of genetic
mutations that had developed within our species.infacte, when God know man was loosing the perfection in him, he command Moses to number israel and give the law of incest [Leviticus chapter 18]
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by honourhim: 10:14pm On Jan 06, 2015
Reiyvinn:
Those who know me personally (especially those who knew me 3-2 years back) can't stop to wonder how I, the once chivalrious youth who defended and preached the gospel as though I had been told that the rapture was the next minute, would suddenly become an Atheist.

Even if I took a time travel back to inform the ME of 3-2 years ago that I'd eventually lose faith in the Jewish Deity, I would've given 'ME' a hot slap.

The current and incessant inquiry I keep getting from my friends and family is "What changed you? What took you away from God?"

I must say, I've lost a huge number of my friends due to this and sadly, won't be getting them back any time soon but I will not pretend to believe in what is proven to be outrightly false and ridiculous just because I wish to keep my friends. How long will it last?

It's only my true friends (some of whom are Muslims, Christians, Agnostics, Atheists, Trad, e.t.c) that I have left.

So, back to the reason for the thread, WHY did I lose faith in the Jewish Deity? What triggered that effontery? cool

Admittedly, it was really hard thinking back to where it all started. I mean, I didn't give it much thought until recently when I got an eureka moment after viewing one of my old Facebook profiles and viewed all my messages (old and lost) before stumbling upon that wonderful conversation. It was filled with familiar questions that I believe at least 90% of Christians have [at one point] had troubles answering but shoved aside.

1.) "Where did Cain get a Wife?"

My reply [as most honest Christian replies would be] was: "I dunno, but I believe God must have created them (the nations he went to) aside for him or perhaps, the people of those nations were also descendants of Adam"

Then he threw some Nagasaki bombshells: "If they were created aside, that is to say, not born of Adam who is purported to be the Father of mankind, why is the Adamic Curse such as Death, Labour pain, e.t.c equally binding on them as well since they neither tasted the forbidden fruit nor were they born of Adam (thus inheriting the sin and the curse)??

And if they were indeed Adam's Descendants, does it mean that during Adam's lifetime he was able to give birth to nations and Cain, being the first son, witnessed this happening and was still a marriable youth when they had grown to marriable ages (since he went to get a wife from from a people he watched grow)

And yes, does it mean that the world was populated by the means of in-cest??!"

2.) Lastly, you want me to believe that in the course of Human history; which your Bible says is just 6000 years ago, over 75 Billion People descended from just two Humans

Think about it

Oh boy, that was evidently too much for me but I made it appear as though it was nothing (most Christians do that) so I shoved it aside and gave him the "God works in mysterious ways" kind of answer. But deep down, I knew it made absolutely no sense at all; it was too absurd to come from an All-Knowing God.

I traced that conversion to have been the start of my journey out of the age-old delusion.

Bro search for the book of Enoch and read, it has more details about some of these confusing issues in the bible(old testament). Its a historical book and part of the books of the bible according to info (though the people who compiled the books of the bible didn't include it for whatever reason).

Do find time to read it if you can read with an open mind. But if your mind is closed towards bible matters you can leave it. Thanks.
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by undercat: 10:50pm On Jan 06, 2015
plaetton:

The deist and pantheist agree that their notions of god are just notions, mere extrapolations, in as much as they believe it to be right.

In other words they admit that they could be wrong. This is no reason why they should be exempted. I was expecting something more thorough from atheists. I suppose these atheists don't claim that there is no God anywhere.

I am a pantheist who subscribes to the notion that god can only be the sum of all that exists. It is not an extreneous agent. But is still a mental extrapolation.

I almost thought you were an atheist. I also agree that god would have to be the sum of all that exists, otherwise his greatness is limited. Its no more a mental extrapolation than atheism is.
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Oduduwaboy(m): 5:53am On Jan 07, 2015
Hiswordxray:
I'm just wondering, why did you write this post?

To me, no amount of Bible contradictions or inaccuracies can annul my encounter with God.

When you don't know somebody and all you have is a written book about him there is a high tendency to disbelieve his existence. But how can you meet a person and still believe he doesn't exist.
Tell me that God doesn't exist is like saying the father who gave birth to you, took care of you, watch you grow up does not exist. It absolutely ridiculous.

How can you see, touch, feel, hear and know somebody and yet still believe he doesn't exist because a book written about him is inaccurate.

Your problem my friend is that you didn't know God, all you knew was the Bible.
It a pity. I grieve for you my friend.
Thank 'god' you admitted that there are inadequacies in the bible ; but why should the word of God, the omniscent, omnipotent god contain inaccuracies?
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Oduduwaboy(m): 5:59am On Jan 07, 2015
honourhim:

Bro search for the book of Enoch and read, it has more details about some of these confusing issues in the bible(old testament). Its a historical book and part of the books of the bible according to info (though the people who compiled the books of the bible didn't include it for whatever reason).

Do find time to read it if you can read with an open mind. But if your mind is closed towards bible matters you can leave it. Thanks.
Book of Enoch ? what the heck is that? Is the bible as presently constituted no more the perfect word of God? How will you feel if i referred you to obscure books such as the 6th-10th books of moses in order to booster your faith Yahweh?

1 Like

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by honourhim: 7:19am On Jan 07, 2015
Oduduwaboy:

Book of Enoch ? what the heck is that? Is the bible as presently constituted no more the perfect word of God? How will you feel if i referred you to obscure books such as the 6th-10th books of moses in order to booster your faith Yahweh?

Kindly read the book of Enoch and read its history, it has connection with the bible from the content. it detailed some scriptural messages. Its different from your oocultic book of Moses.

I don't know why the people that compiled the bible left it out. That was then, we live in info age and we ve seen and read it now. When you read it with a genuine christian mind or with an unbiased mind as a non christian you ll understand better.
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Elparaiso(m): 10:41am On Jan 07, 2015
Weah96:
Mary told her boyfriend that she was impregnated by God. And the nigga believed it, because he allegedly had a dream and God spoke to him in the dream. That was the one that I couldn't overlook. It made me realize that whoever wrote the book expected a sheep like audience. How can married men believe that rubbish story?
If Joseph was an Igbo man.....
He no go pay bride price....

If he was me......
She had better bring the holy spirit to town hall o....

1 Like

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by johnydon22(m): 11:45am On Jan 07, 2015
Elparaiso:

If Joseph was an Igbo man.....
He no go pay bride price....

If he was me......
She had better bring the holy spirit to town hall o....
Hahahahahaha asin eeeehn im deh carry am come town hall sharp sharp... umu nna must look into the matter

(1) (2) (Reply)

Christ Existence; Any Evidence Aside The Bible? / My Advice For Atheist / Check Out Pastor Ibiyeomie's Birthday Cake... So Yummy I Like

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.