Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,782 members, 7,817,246 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

Faith: Hebrews 11 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Faith: Hebrews 11 (1156 Views)

Igbo People Are The Hebrews Of The Bible ... 100% Proof / Morning Devotion: Mailbox Faith Hebrews 11:1-6 / Ancient Biblical Hebrews Were Black People. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Faith: Hebrews 11 by Hiswordxray(m): 1:16pm On Jan 06, 2015
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Heb 11:1)
Here we realize that Paul saw faith as something tangible, something that can be observed by others. Paul explained that faith is something substantial that proves something had been hoped for. Faith proves the reality of the hope. Faith tells us that, that thing being hoped for is real and it's not something imaginary or abstract. The question is what is this substantial thing called faith?
Paul went further to explain by listing some examples of this observable substantial faith. In verses four and five of Hebrews eleven Paul gave examples of two men (Abel and Enoch) who were righteous and pleases God. Paul called their acts "faith". And in verse six he explained why they did this things (act of faith) - they saw a God who rewards those who diligently seek him as a result they were faithful and righteous. What they saw is what Paul refers to as "things hoped for" and what they did is "faith". Therefore their observable good works is a proof that they saw a faithful God who rewards those who diligently seek him. Hope is seeing things through the word of God. These men hope were real and their faith proves it.
In verse seven Paul told us of how Noah saw through the word of God a coming flood even though there are no visible sign. And because of what he saw he obeyed God and built an ark and as a result he was righteous. Here we realize that there is a difference between hearing God's word and seeing through God's word (I would explain more of this later). Reading further into Hebrews chapter eleven we see Abraham who displayed great faith because he was looking at "a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God." (Heb 11:10). We would also see examples of men and women who saw things through God's word and displayed great faith. Therefore faith is the respond to what we are looking at through the word of God (which is hope) - faith is the tangible and observable respond to hope. We talk so much about growing in faith without referring to hope and this is the reason why we struggle with faith. The reality of our hope is the strength of our faith (this is a key to growing in faith).

1 Like

Re: Faith: Hebrews 11 by bobbyL(m): 8:02pm On Jan 07, 2015
Nice. Thank you very much.
Re: Faith: Hebrews 11 by Hiswordxray(m): 8:10am On Jan 09, 2015
bobbyL:
Nice. Thank you very much.
Did you understand it?
Re: Faith: Hebrews 11 by dein77(m): 9:00am On Jan 09, 2015
Pls throw more light on your article. I can't afford missing out on such a topic as this....
Re: Faith: Hebrews 11 by Hiswordxray(m): 11:51am On Jan 09, 2015
dein77:
Pls throw more light on your article. I can't afford missing out on such a topic as this....
The way we view faith today is different from the way the apostles did then.
We view faith as believing in God, doing somethings to show that you believe and receiving what you want.
But the apostles view faith as seeing through God's word and responding or reacting to what you are looking at.

Let see what James said about faith:
"But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works." (Jam 2:18).
To James work is an evidence of faith. Work is an indispensable part of faith.
James went further to explain "You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?" (Jam 2:19-20).
The demons see (believe in the existence of) an Almighty God but they didn't respond positively to what they saw therefore they don't have faith. But we saw an Almighty God and we summit and obey him - this is faith.
James in that same chapter gave an example of Abraham who obeyed the faithful God he saw and he almost sacrificed his son. James called that act faith because Abraham respond positively to what he saw.

Paul in explaining the Christian faith said "looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith,..." (Heb 12:2).
The Christian faith is about looking onto Jesus and reacting positively to what we see.

If what you see through God's word is so real to you, you would react passionate to it and that is what is called great faith.

1 Like

Re: Faith: Hebrews 11 by bobbyL(m): 12:17pm On Jan 09, 2015
Hiswordxray:

Did you understand it?
With the Word of God and the help of the Holy Spirit, situations are seen the way God sees them.
Re: Faith: Hebrews 11 by Hiswordxray(m): 5:24pm On Jan 11, 2015
dein77:
Do you now understand?
Re: Faith: Hebrews 11 by bobbyL(m): 6:09pm On Jan 11, 2015
Hiswordxray:

Do you now understand?

Did you get my messages? I would like you to teach me.
Re: Faith: Hebrews 11 by Hiswordxray(m): 10:24pm On Jan 11, 2015
bobbyL:

Teach you what?
Re: Faith: Hebrews 11 by Hiswordxray(m): 10:10pm On Jan 12, 2015
bobbyL:

Faith is seeing, looking and reacting.
Let me use example:
The Bible says "21 Therefore let no one boast in men. For all things are yours: 22 whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas, or the world or life or death, or things present or things to come—all are yours." (1Cor 3:21-22).
You can read this verse and believe but yet still live like someone who doesn't own the world.
But when you come to a place were you see yourself like someone who own everything then you would naturally start acting like you own the world. When you speak you would naturally speak like someone who has more than a million dollars in his account, even though you don't even have a cobo.
If you truly see yourself like someone who own the whole world you would be giving out to people because you know you have more than enough. You would not covet for anything because you know they belong to you. You won't lust for things or steal because no one stills what already belongs to him.

So you see. Seeing through God's word cause you to act in certain ways and this is what faith is.
Re: Faith: Hebrews 11 by Hiswordxray(m): 2:23pm On Jan 12, 2016
Re: Faith: Hebrews 11 by Hiswordxray(m): 2:25pm On Jan 12, 2016
Hiswordxray:

Faith is seeing, looking and reacting.
Let me use example:
The Bible says "21 Therefore let no one boast in men. For all things are yours: 22 whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas, or the world or life or death, or things present or things to come—all are yours." (1Cor 3:21-22).
You can read this verse and believe but yet still live like someone who doesn't own the world.
But when you come to a place were you see yourself like someone who own everything then you would naturally start acting like you own the world. When you speak you would naturally speak like someone who has more than a million dollars in his account, even though you don't even have a cobo.
If you truly see yourself like someone who own the whole world you would be giving out to people because you know you have more than enough. You would not covet for anything because you know they belong to you. You won't lust for things or steal because no one stills what already belongs to him.
So you see. Seeing through God's word cause you to act in certain ways and this is what faith is.
Re: Faith: Hebrews 11 by Kobojunkie: 12:53am On Mar 16, 2023
Hiswordxray:
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Heb 11:1)
Here we realize that Paul saw faith as something tangible, something that can be observed by others. Paul explained that faith is something substantial that proves something had been hoped for. Faith proves the reality of the hope. Faith tells us that, that thing being hoped for is real and it's not something imaginary or abstract. The question is what is this substantial thing called faith?
Paul went further to explain by listing some examples of this observable substantial faith. In verses four and five of Hebrews eleven Paul gave examples of two men (Abel and Enoch) who were righteous and pleases God. Paul called their acts "faith". And in verse six he explained why they did this things (act of faith) - they saw a God who rewards those who diligently seek him as a result they were faithful and righteous. What they saw is what Paul refers to as "things hoped for" and what they did is "faith". Therefore their observable good works is a proof that they saw a faithful God who rewards those who diligently seek him. Hope is seeing things through the word of God. These men hope were real and their faith proves it.
First, contrary to what many may like to believe, Hebrews 11 vs 1 does not contain a definition of the word faith . Rather what the writer does in the context is attempts a figurative comparison of faith with the evidence/substance, the promises of God, that come as a result of ir. Faith itself is not defined in the context of that passage. For this reason, the word faith, in the context, is used in reference to efforts made by such a person as Abraham while pointing out the evidence/benefits that resulted from such effort. undecided

God Himself explained what the word faith means in Genesis 26 vs 5 when He pointed out that the reason why He made a promise to Abraham had to do with the fact that Abraham lived his life in submission and obedience of His, God's, teachings and commandments - Faith. God gave that as the one and the only reason why He made Abraham His friend. This offer we observe Jesus Christ makes with all those of His followers who will do as He says - John 15 vs 9 -14 — those who will submit to and obey His teachings and commandments in the Kingdom of God. So, there you have it. Faith refers to living one's life in continuous submission and obedience to God's commandments and teachings, and in our case, in Jesus Christ. This definition is observed as being used in the Old Testament as well as in the New Covenant by Jesus Christ Himself. undecided

(1) (Reply)

I Have Figured It Out / Why Do Most Nigerian Pastors "Talk Aloud (shout) " While Preaching? / Isis Release Video Of 5 Years Old Child As He Behead Syrian Army Captain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.