Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,948 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:22 AM

Difference Between Arguments And Parameters In PHP - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Difference Between Arguments And Parameters In PHP (669 Views)

The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip / What Is The Difference Between .ng And .com.ng Domain / What Is The Major Difference Between Python And Php (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Difference Between Arguments And Parameters In PHP by maekhel(m): 8:58am On Jan 07, 2015
We will be looking at an interesting topic today: Difference Between Arguments And Parameters. No doubts most of us do use these two terms interchangeably while working with functions. New to functions? read my other tutorial Functions In PHP.
These two terms can be confusing and are mostly used in place of the other, but as a programmer you should be able to identify and use your terms properly.So what are arguments and parameter?
Let start with Arguments. Arguments are the passed to a function when the function is called. Those items supplied to a function are what is referred to as argument.
While Parameters on the other hand are passed to a function when it is declared or created. These items passed to a function are what the function is a excepting as arguments.
Sound confusing right? Let clarify things with a simple example:
<?php
/**let create a simple function to find the area of a rectangle
*$length and $breath are our parameters
*/

function findArea($length, $breath){
return $length * $breath;
}
/**now let make use of our findArea()
*$len and $bre are our arguments
*/

$len = 4;

$bre = 9;

findArea($len, $bre);

//this will output: 36

?>
Conclusion
The example should make things more clearer now, so learn and start using the right terms. I hope this brief tutorial was helpful. Comments, questions, suggestions and views are all welcomed, will love to hear from you. Also remember to subscribe to our newsletter to receive more of great tutorials.
source: http://tutorialslodge.com/difference-arguments-parameters-php/

(1) (Reply)

Getting Max Traffic To Your Website / I Need My Blog Updated / Bulk SMS Needed Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.