Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip (11326 Views)

Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) / I Can Build And Manage Your Static/cms (dynamic) And E-commerce Websites / What Is The Difference Between .ng And .com.ng Domain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by edisonvpb(m): 7:21am On May 16, 2016
I am Thomas from VPB hositng company
Static IP addressing is for one customer on one IP address and Dynamic IP addressing assigns a different IP address each time the ISP customer logs on to their computer, but this is dependent upon the Internet Service Provider (ISP) because some ISP's only change the IP address as they deem it necessary.
If you have Dynamic IP Addressing through your Website Host it means that you are sharing an IP Address with several other customers.
If you are a beginner on the internet, an avid internet user, are entertaining the thought of starting your own website business, are a gamer, use VOIP or VPN there are several things you should know about IP Addressing.
Static IP Addressing
If you feel the need to always know what your IP address is then you need a Static IP address, because it is constant. Static IP addresses are more reliable for Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP), more reliable to host a gaming website or to play X-Box, Play Station, use Virtual Private Network for secure access to files from your company network computer, etc. Static IP addresses are also great if you use your computer as a server, as it should give your file server faster file uploads and downloads. Another plus with Static IP's, when hosting a website you are not sharing your IP with another company who sends out a lot of E-mail SPAM and not only has their website been shut down but in turn gets your IP address blacklisted.
In contrast a static IP address can become a security risk, because the address is always the same. Static IP's are easier to track for data mining companies. Static IP addressing is less cost effective than Dynamic IP Addressing.
Dynamic IP Addressing
The biggest advantages of Dynamic IP Addressing are less security risk as the computer is assigned a new IP address each time the customer logs on, they are cost effective and there is automatic network configuration (the less human intervention with network configuration the better). Dynamic addressing is usually used by ISP's so that one IP address can be assigned to several users, however some ISP's use Sticky Dynamic IP Addressing and do not change the IP address very often. Dynamic IP Addressing can be used by families with several computers or by a small business owner who has a home office. The software that comes with a router allows for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) setup and assigns each computer attached to the router an IP address automatically.
In contrast, Dynamic IP addressing should not be used for VOIP, VPN, playing online games or game hosting because Dynamic IP addressing is less reliable then Static IP addressing and could cause the service to disconnect while you are on a VOIP, VPN or gaming.

8 Likes

Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by Rhaspody(m): 11:40am On May 16, 2016
Nice write up. I play a lot of games online. so obviously I need to have a static IP address. Do I get it from my ISP or set it up myself inside my router?
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by korel9: 6:38am On May 17, 2016
Hmmmm!

Is this another way of pointing out the difference between PDP and APC? grin

Quote me negatively and may your life remain like the one both parties have left Nigerians in. angry

3 Likes

Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by oatzeal(m): 6:39am On May 17, 2016
nice
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by Charbless(m): 6:39am On May 17, 2016
Space booked
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by lordraiden(m): 6:40am On May 17, 2016
kool write up kudos to u
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by Vince77(m): 6:43am On May 17, 2016
Nice info. Thanks
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by timilehing(m): 6:46am On May 17, 2016
Ok
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by Nobody: 6:49am On May 17, 2016
Rhaspody:
Nice write up. I play a lot of games online. so obviously I need to have a static IP address. Do I get it from my ISP or set it up myself inside my router?
It's likely your ISP allocates you a dynamic IP. You really can't do much about that. Changing your IP might disconnect you from their network.
If your aim is to boost your game speeds, you can change your DNS to use Google's. Go to your network setting and add DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

I play League of Legends btw.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by nikz(f): 6:50am On May 17, 2016
Thanx. I now know what to do. God bless u
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by scampy(m): 6:50am On May 17, 2016
Nice one.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by Nobody: 6:52am On May 17, 2016
korel9:
Hmmmm!
Is this another way of pointing out the difference between PDP and APC? grin
Or between Fulani Herdsmen & Boko Haram? grin

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by akinmusi(m): 6:58am On May 17, 2016
@op how do you change a static IP? Will changing your ISP automatically change your IP?

For instance, I discovered my IP cannot allow me make online payment via my ATM.

How do I change such IP?

I discovered this because I am using the system and modem of my friend who recently left the country. And having talked to somebody about it, I was told the IP has been blacklisted.

What gave me concern was when the site I used in hosting my property ads notified me that I was reported for violating their terms and condition being the fact that I refused to meet clients and asking for money before delivery. I was like "how?"

Please enlighten me and suggest ways to correct this. I am sure some other people might have such problems too and yet to know.

@edisonvpb
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by KingRex1(m): 7:06am On May 17, 2016
akinmusi:
@op how do you change a static IP? Will changing your ISP automatically change your IP?

For instance, I discovered my IP cannot allow me make online payment via my ATM.

How do I change such IP?

I discovered this because I am using the system and modem of my friend who recently left the country. And having talked to somebody about it, I was told the IP has been blacklisted.

What gave me concern was when the site I used in hosting my property ads notified me that I was reported for violating their terms and condition being the fact that I refused to meet clients and asking for money before delivery. I was like "how?"

Please enlighten me and suggest ways to correct this. I am sure some other people might have such problems too and yet to know.

@edisonvpb
You would have to contact the service provider, request for a static IP address, fill a form, state reasons for the use, photocopy ur I.D nd a doc verifying ur address (such as light or water bill).

This is certainly how its done with spectranet or smile.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by AZeD1(m): 7:11am On May 17, 2016
Rhaspody:
You don't need a static IP.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by kobonaire(m): 7:27am On May 17, 2016
@OP, when you say Dynamic IP address means you are sharing the IP address, I think it is important to note that the sharing is like a lease ... at any point of time, only one end network element will have that IP address. At the end of the lease, another network element may obtain that IP address. The sharing is never simultaneous.

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by princedede(m): 7:30am On May 17, 2016
akinmusi:

How do I change such IP?

@edisonvpb

You might have to change some settings on ur pc. Probably the IP ur friend was using had been blacklisted. Due to him disguising himself online such is d practice of yahoo boys for example. First of all check whoer.net u will see d IP u are using and d country of origin. So u can revert back to ur normal IP address. If still same issue then contact ur ISP provider.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by Atmosfear: 7:41am On May 17, 2016
This is very timely. I just installed a cctv security system in my house in Benin City. The equipment has remote viewing facility of the camera video but the technician could not activate it because he said the Nigerian networks provide only dynamic IP addresses. This feature needs only a static IP address. So I am disappointed. I thought I could use the normal USB dongle.

Please how do I solve this problem?
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by LordReed(m): 7:41am On May 17, 2016
edisonvpb:
I ammore reliable to host a gaming website or to play X-Box, Play Station,

I don't agree with this. Even the configurations directly from Xbox services and Playstation Network do not specify that you should have a static ip to enjoy online gaming. And as I a PSN user I play online everyday with no issues on a dynamic ip connection.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by StPete: 8:18am On May 17, 2016
Interesting read
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by BetaTechnicians: 8:29am On May 17, 2016
kobonaire:
@OP, when you say Dynamic IP address means you are sharing the IP address, I think it is important to note that the sharing is like a lease ... at any point of time, only one end network element will have that IP address. At the end of the lease, another network element may obtain that IP address. The sharing is never simultaneous.

Dynamic IPs have a lease period, once it expires you'll be reallocated another IP possibly within same subnet.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by BetaTechnicians: 8:31am On May 17, 2016
the reason for having static and dynamic IPs is due to the constraint of limited IP addresses on the IPv4 protocol but IPv6 hopefully wouldn't need such but there's the issue of privacy and security still to be addressed.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by HomeOfMe(f): 8:38am On May 17, 2016
edisonvpb:
Static IP addressing is for one customer on one IP address and Dynamic IP addressing assigns a different IP address each time the ISP customer logs on to their computer, but this is dependent upon the Internet Service Provider (ISP) because some ISP's only change the IP address as they deem it necessary.
If you have Dynamic IP Addressing through your Website Host it means that you are sharing an IP Address with several other customers.
If you are a beginner on the internet, an avid internet user, are entertaining the thought of starting your own website business, are a gamer, use VOIP or VPN there are several things you should know about IP Addressing.
Static IP Addressing
If you feel the need to always know what your IP address is then you need a Static IP address, because it is constant. Static IP addresses are more reliable for Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP), more reliable to host a gaming website or to play X-Box, Play Station, use Virtual Private Network for secure access to files from your company network computer, etc. Static IP addresses are also great if you use your computer as a server, as it should give your file server faster file uploads and downloads. Another plus with Static IP's, when hosting a website you are not sharing your IP with another company who sends out a lot of E-mail SPAM and not only has their website been shut down but in turn gets your IP address blacklisted.
In contrast a static IP address can become a security risk, because the address is always the same. Static IP's are easier to track for data mining companies. Static IP addressing is less cost effective than Dynamic IP Addressing.
Dynamic IP Addressing
The biggest advantages of Dynamic IP Addressing are less security risk as the computer is assigned a new IP address each time the customer logs on, they are cost effective and there is automatic network configuration (the less human intervention with network configuration the better). Dynamic addressing is usually used by ISP's so that one IP address can be assigned to several users, however some ISP's use Sticky Dynamic IP Addressing and do not change the IP address very often. Dynamic IP Addressing can be used by families with several computers or by a small business owner who has a home office. The software that comes with a router allows for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) setup and assigns each computer attached to the router an IP address automatically.
In contrast, Dynamic IP addressing should not be used for VOIP, VPN, playing online games or game hosting because Dynamic IP addressing is less reliable then Static IP addressing and could cause the service to disconnect while you are on a VOIP, VPN or gaming.
Hello OP,in a situation where you want to fill an online form,participate in a survey,sweepstakes and all that and they tell you it is not available for people resident in your country,what can I do-is it possible to change my IP and how do I go about it,thank you.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by ceekay214(m): 8:46am On May 17, 2016
G
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by clogogo(m): 9:09am On May 17, 2016
Atmosfear:
This is very timely. I just installed a cctv security system in my house in Benin City. The equipment has remote viewing facility of the camera video but the technician could not activate it because he said the Nigerian networks provide only dynamic IP addresses. This feature needs only a static IP address. So I am disappointed. I thought I could use the normal USB dongle.

Please how do I solve this problem?

Go get a router from a good network subscriber ...then instead of using dynamic IP use a static IP...with that IP u can configure your cctv to work with a static IP..-it is too easy to configure ..

I can help, if you need further assistance
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by Generalkorex(m): 9:20am On May 17, 2016
Comment no go plenty 4 dis kain post.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by spoilerx: 9:26am On May 17, 2016
Rhaspody:

you don't need a static IP for that, unless you are hosting servers that you want to access remotely
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by suyamasta(m): 9:27am On May 17, 2016
edisonvpb:
Static IP Addressing
Dynamic IP Addressing

If im to create a site that has like a million views per day also being a target for ddos attacks which should i use?
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by LordReed(m): 10:11am On May 17, 2016
BetaTechnicians:

Dynamic IPs have a lease period, once it expires you'll be reallocated another IP possibly within same subnet.

If the ip currently in use is still free it won't change.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by LordReed(m): 10:13am On May 17, 2016
suyamasta:

If im to create a site that has like a million views per day also being a target for ddos attacks which should i use?

Both static and dynamic ips can be ddos. You need to firewalls or routers that can filter out ddos attacks.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by BetaTechnicians: 10:17am On May 17, 2016
LordReed:

If the ip currently in use is still free it won't change.
true

(1) (2) (Reply)

Website Designing Trends You Should Not Ignore In 2019 / How To Get Started With Blogging In Less Than 5minutes / Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.