Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,432 members, 7,815,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote (1873 Views)

Fani-Kayode To Emir Sanusi "Shut Up" For Blaming Jonathan On Palestinian State / Legal Implications Of Abubakar Audu's Death – Festus Keyamo / Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by makazona(m): 12:11pm On Jan 07, 2015
In what Thisday newspaper called “pivotal foreign policy shift”, Nigeria’s foreign policy actually took a dramatic plunge to new lows, when on December 29, 2014, the country abstained from a vote at the United Nations Security Council that would have set a definite timeframe for the end of Israeli occupation of the Palestinian land. For sure, the United States of America would have exercised her veto to shot down the resolution, even if Nigeria had voted for it but at least, we would have been true to our fundamental principle of long-standing aversion to any form of colonisation, land grab and racial discrimination which have been the primary bases for Nigeria’s stance on the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

Credible reports have it that Nigeria’s foreign affairs ministry was fully geared to exercise the country’s traditional vote in favour of the resolution for a time-table to end Israeli occupation of Palestinian lands until the Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, placed a direct call to President Goodluck Jonathan. The call evidently threw the country’s foreign policy machinery into disarray, with explicit instructions for Nigeria’s permanent delegation in the UN to vote against the resolution or at best refrain from any voting at all. And with Nigeria’s abstention, the resolution fell apart, after falling short of Nigeria’s one vote to sail through, though with only a potential Washington veto to thwart it, had we voted for the resolution. Even reports said that the Israeli foreign ministry was pleasantly surprised at Nigeria’s last minute abstention, as they expected a yes-vote to the resolution.

The Palestinians were shocked beyond words. Their ambassador to Nigeria, Dr Montazer Abu-Zeid, captured the mood of his people when he told reporters that, “It is a shock for us, why they (Nigeria) abstained. It was a surprise because the ministry of foreign affairs informed me that they would vote for us and I have informed my president and foreign minister as they assured me they would vote for an end to the occupation”.

Further ruminating on Nigeria’s volte-face, the Palestinian envoy said: “It is a sad day for us. Nigeria has recognised the state of Palestine since 1988 when it was even difficult times. They voted for the two state solutions; they voted for us on all issues on Israel and Palestine. Nigeria has been a big brother to us but at this crucial time, to vote to end the occupation, they abstained.”

However, it should be made clear, that Nigeria’s traditional pro-Palestine stance is not derived from unqualified support for the Palestinians or any subsisting antipathy to the Israelis but from a principled stance with explicit commitment of Nigeria’s foreign policy to oppose any form of colonisation and racial discrimination. There is no other way to describe Israeli seizure of Palestinian lands than colonial occupation. Based on this principle, Nigeria recognised the Saharawi Arab Democratic Republic which also operates a mission in Abuja. It is thus a pity that with just a phone call, from the Israeli prime minister, President Jonathan destroyed one of the core and enduring principles of Nigeria’s foreign policy.

Had the President and his handlers showed any tact, it would have been enough to tell the Israeli pestering prime minister, that it was an election period, and any such dramatic shift in our traditional stance, could cost some goodwill and votes. Netanyahu himself, who trade on votes of the extremist Jewish settlers on the occupied Palestinian lands, should have shown some understanding. Some observers have speculated that the Presidency may have been swayed by Israel’s increasing co-operation with Nigeria, especially in the area of providing weapons for the country’s war against terror.

However, as plausible as this position may sound, there was a similar parallel, but which did not compel Nigeria to abandon her foreign policy principle...

SEE MORE.http://www.punchng.com/opinion/implications-of-nigerias-abstention-on-palestinian-vote/

1 Like

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by makazona(m): 12:14pm On Jan 07, 2015
I Actually do not agree with this write up.

Dunno about y'all

1 Like

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by Oklander: 12:22pm On Jan 07, 2015
Hypocrisy everywhere… The Palestinians fully support and are pushing for two state solution in which the Israelis will have their own state and Palestinians have theirs, why is this so hard to accept? why do people not support this so every body will have peace?
Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by pendy79: 12:23pm On Jan 07, 2015
True students of international diplomacy will marvel at this volte fate on our consistency on the Palestinian issue.

We were in the fore front of the Anti-Apartheid rule in south Africa, we were actively involved in the freedom of Rhodesia present day Zimbabwe and even.voted in favour of recognition of a sovereign state of Palestine in 1988 during a General Assembly Vote.

This sudden somersault in our stance without any valuable reason smack of betrayal and backstabbing on the altar of getting into Obama's good book by the daft president of Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by atlwireles: 12:25pm On Jan 07, 2015
RUBBISH. The UK, Lithuania, Nigeria, the Republic of Korea and Rwanda abstained. What's the beef.

3 Likes

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by Ngwakwe: 12:40pm On Jan 07, 2015
atlwireles:
RUBBISH.

Is part of the Agenda why some want Buhari.

Being neutral is now a crime.

Where are op-editorials on Saudi Arabia refusal to grant Nigeria permission to use their airspace to transport our Tanks from Pakistan? You won't see any rather they want to carry other people's problems.

I am yet to see any malnourished or out of school child in Palestine let alone compare them to Almajiris in Nigeria.

Are we suffering poverty of the mind or what exactly?

Neutrality was the best in this situation but religious fanatics will think otherwise.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 07, 2015
We have always stood behind the underdog, South Africa, Mozambique, Namibia, Palestine and many other, it's funny how we suddenly changed overnight.

Some will also argue that what exactly have we benefited from supporting these countries.

4 Likes

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jan 07, 2015
Ngwakwe:

Where are op-editorials on Saudi Arabia refusal to grant Nigeria permission to use their airspace to transport our Tanks from Pakistan? You won't see any rather they want to carry other people's problems.

I am yet to see any malnourished or out of school child in Palestine let alone compare them to Almajiris in Nigeria.

Neutrality was the best in this situation but religious fanatics will think otherwise.

A call from Israel is very neutral indeed. Whipping up sentiments against buhari is pathetic though. DON'T HIDE MY OPINION.

4 Likes

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by SeverusSnape(m): 12:48pm On Jan 07, 2015
Was it only Nigeria that abstained.... why are they beefing Nigeria alone?. Like Ngwakwe said, Neutrality was the best position to take.

2 Likes

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by luv2talk(m): 12:50pm On Jan 07, 2015
Ngwakwe:

Guy, ive been observing you for a long time here, it seems your brain is using Tiger Battery, cant you air your opinion without religious slur. Haba!! grow up bro undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by vedaxcool(m): 1:04pm On Jan 07, 2015
Obiagelli:

A call from Israel is very neutral indeed. Whipping up sentiments against buhari is pathetic though. DON'T HIDE MY OPINION.

Lol, the guy can't stand rational dialogue.

1 Like

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by Ngwakwe: 1:07pm On Jan 07, 2015
Obiagelli:

Our stand on Palestine is basically all about Islam and nothing more.

Did you read the resolution or are you commenting on your usual belief that Nigeria is Islamic country?

The Palestinians pray facing Mecca while the Jews pray facing Jerusalem and a lunatic puts up a write up for Jews to vacate Jerusalem within 3 years leaving the remnant of Solomon's temple and every Jewish antiquities for the Arabs, failure to abide by this will attract multi-national forces to remove Jews from East Jerusalem and you want Nigeria to vote YES?

You think all Nigerians think like Buhari, the unwired veteran.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by Ngwakwe: 1:10pm On Jan 07, 2015
luv2talk:

Guy, ive been observing you for a long time here, it seems your brain is using Tiger Battery, cant you air your opinion without religious slur. Haba!! grow up bro undecided undecided

Please can you be specific on the religious slur and while at it be civil?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by charlos14: 1:14pm On Jan 07, 2015
Ngwakwe:

Did you read the resolution or are you commenting on you usual belief that Nigeria is Islamic country?

The Palestinians pray facing Mecca while the Jews pray facing Jerusalem and a lunatic puts up a write up for Jews to vacate Jerusalem within 3 years leaving the remnant of Solomon's temple and every Jewish antiquities for the Arabs, failure to abide by this will attract multi-national forces to remove Jews from East Jerusalem and you want Nigeria to vote YES?

At least someone here have some sense.

When Jews from around the world came to Israel in the 1940s and proposed a two state solution, guess wtf happened? Egypt, Syria, Jordan and co promised to push the Jews back to the sea.

Palestinians should go fight the stupid neighbors not Israel and besides all the Christian and Jews artifacts in Muslim hands?
Dummy please
Nigeria should have voted against just like the US and Australia did.

3 Likes

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by sweetgala(m): 1:16pm On Jan 07, 2015
Some people here just don't use logic, daftness seems to be commonplace on nairaland.
The moment I read Nigeria abstained I knew the otuoke clown was trying to get grace with Obama and Israel so he can acquire the military hardware he wants for BH war.

GEJ lacks political tact , he can't put his house in order expecting him to exhibit decisiveness on the international stage would be moving the bar too high to vault. We have always supported and voiced for peace and have even acted as negotiator, an acceptable reason why we decided not cross the destined bridge eludes me.
The Israel-Palestine dialogue has just been set back another 2-5 years, Israel have just been given a political victory , 2016 is election year in USA, so neither the democrats nor Reps would touch-on that topic majorly till say 2017.

2 Likes

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jan 07, 2015
Ngwakwe:

Did you read the resolution or are you commenting on you usual belief that Nigeria is Islamic country?

I doubt you have a clear idea of what you are talking about, our stand on South Africa, Mozambique and co was about what? African juju?

Whoever said Nigeria was an Islamic country? I am not even a muslim or a christian ( i have tasted both) and i don't give a damn about both. I and my country stand for justice, voice to the voiceless. I am not blinded by religion or ethnicity.

Just Btw, jew don't give a damn about your Christianity anyways, facts is there are even more muslims in Israel than Christian. So your religious sentiments holds no water.
the weapons that were blocked by
saudi Arabia (a US puppet) was coming from where?
Pakistan or Israel? A muslim or Christian nation?

You lies about buhari won't save your Jonathan.

3 Likes

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by emiye(m): 1:26pm On Jan 07, 2015
It is unfortunate, but it is important to note that US would have vetoed against the final decision, even if Nigeria had voted for. But, it could have been a symbolic victory that could later herald the statehood of palestine in future years.
Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by atlwireles: 1:26pm On Jan 07, 2015
Ngwakwe:

Did you read the resolution or are you commenting on your usual belief that Nigeria is Islamic country?

Always on point. The Arabs can resolve their problems themselves.

1 Like

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jan 07, 2015
How Buhari came into this discussion is what I cannot fathom. Bloody hypocites and tribal bigots smearing the man's name even when its none of his business.

Anyway,nothing concerns me in the isreal and palestine bullshit. Nigeria is worse than what palestines are going through now. We need freedom from the hands of killer PDP.

1 Like

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jan 07, 2015
berem:
How Buhari came into this discussion is what I cannot fathom. Bloody hypocites and tribal bigots smearing the man's name even when its none of his business.

Anyway,nothing concerns me in the isreal and palestine bullshit. Nigeria is worse than what palestines are going through now. We need freedom from the hands of killer PDP.

God bless you my sister, na the buhari thing vex me pass, the topic is even about foreign relations between 3 countries, i don't know how bigots brought in Christianity, Islam and Buhari.

I just lost all respect for the guy today.

1 Like

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jan 07, 2015
Obiagelli:

God bless you my sister, na the buhari thing vex me pass, the topic is even about foreign relations between 3 countries, i don't know how bigots brought in Christianity, Islam and Buhari.

I just lost all respect for the guy today.
I have lost respect for him since he cannot change from being a hypocrite and ethnic bigot. How Seun still retains him as a mod is still a mystery to me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by Ngwakwe: 1:41pm On Jan 07, 2015
Obiagelli:

I doubt you have a clear idea of what you are talking about, our stand on South Africa, Mozambique and co was about what? African juju?

Whoever said Nigeria was an Islamic country? I am not even a muslim or a christian ( i have tasted both) and i don't give a damn about both. I and my country stand for justice, voice to the voiceless. I am not blinded by religion or ethnicity.

Just Btw, jew don't give a damn about your Christianity anyways, facts is there are even more muslims in Israel than Christian. So your religious sentiments holds no water.
You lies about buhari won't save your Jonathan.

It seems when you are called out for debate you start shouting bigot, sentiment and related words

Nigerian leaders who oppress their fellow countrymen have a foreign policy of what? Wonders shall never end.

I don't know what you mean by the word "our". You mean all those unprofitable foreign policies.

What is Saudi Arabia's foreign policy on Nigeria that they just denied us assess to their airspace, when Nigerians especially Muslims are been killed on daily basis by Bokoharam?

What is Britain's stand on Palestine yet they abstained.

We chose the best option as a country and all you got is the usually see no good, hear no good

It is Nigerians that are oppressed not the Palestinians. They are far better than Nigerians in all ramifications with life expectancy of 78 years in Ramallah and 75 years in Gaza while you manage 49 to 51 years in Nigeria. Oppressed indeed.

What they couldn't get through wars they want from the UN. A negotiated solution or nothing.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by sweetgala(m): 1:42pm On Jan 07, 2015
charlos14:

At least someone here have some sense.

When Jews from around the world came to Israel in the 1940s and proposed a two state solution, guess wtf happened? Egypt, Syria, Jordan and co promised to push the Jews back to the sea.

Palestinians should go fight the stupid neighbors not Israel and besides all the Christian and Jews artifacts in Muslim hands?
Dummy please
Nigeria should have voted against just like the US and Australia did.

Within you second line is the un-doing
When Jews from around the world came to Israel in the 1940s and proposed a two state solution, guess wtf happened

Before that particular incident what existed on that land was colonial British protectorate , on the eve of the expiration of that mandate while Egypt,Jordan and neighboring Arab nations fought for the spoils of land some Zionist came along(migrated to) and declared independence based on "the bibles" description of ancient Jewish land.

A two state system is best as the true people that have suffered are the indigenous Palestinians, descendants of Jews , European Christians and ottoman people from the crusades. Jerusalem has always been no-man's land even in the bible it was never explicitly occupied by Jews , so Israel wanting to keep it is silly.

The UN need to take over administration of Jerusalem and give it similar designation as the Holy see because it contains artifacts , ruins and religious significance to some of the worlds major religions equally.
Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by IGBOSON1: 1:51pm On Jan 07, 2015
Obiagelli:
We have always stood behind the underdog, South Africa, Mozambique, Namibia, Palestine and many other, it's funny how we suddenly changed overnight.

Some will also argue that what exactly have we benefited from supporting these countries.

^^^Fuc/k dat! What has 'standing behind the underdog' got us thus far!

1 Like

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by Ngwakwe: 1:52pm On Jan 07, 2015
It seems some Buhari supporters are having nightmare over Ngwakwe's stand on the hater of democracy and human right abuser.

The truth is always bitter

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jan 07, 2015
Ngwakwe:

It seems when you are called out for debate you start shouting bigot, sentiment and related words

Nigerian leaders who oppress their fellow countrymen have a foreign policy of what? Wonders shall never end.

I don't know what you mean by the word "our". You mean all those unprofitable foreign policies.

What is Saudi Arabia's foreign policy on Nigeria that they just denied us assess to their airspace, when Nigerians especially Muslims are been killed on daily basis by Bokoharam?

What is Britain's stand on Palestine yet they abstained.

We chose the best option as a country and all you got is the usually see no good, hear no good

It is Nigerians that are oppressed not the Palestinians. They are far better than Nigerians in all ramifications with life expectancy of 78 years in Ramallah and 75 years in Gaza while you manage 49 to 51 years in Nigeria. Oppressed indeed.

What they couldn't get through wars they want from the UN. A negotiated solution or nothing.

You are asking about bigotry yet you can't get suadi Arabia out your mouth, what has saudi Arabia got to do with this thread? Did South Africa not seize our cash? Why is the US refusing to sell us arms.
The Israel you are shouting about, what specific assistance have they given us to fight boko haram?

I will not have a bigoted religious debate with you on our foreign policy.

1 Like

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jan 07, 2015
It seems some gej supporters are just pathetic religious bigots, who can't debate anything without whipping up sentiments. All they can sell about their candidate is that he is a christian and a southerner. Empty bunch.

1 Like

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by psucc(m): 2:03pm On Jan 07, 2015
Every issue that involves Nigeria is always veiled and interpreted based on line of interest.

It will take us time to develop as a nation.

Virtually everything or action of government is criticized, mocked and interpreted as a form of oppression against a section.

1 Like

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by Ngwakwe: 2:03pm On Jan 07, 2015
Obiagelli:

You are asking about bigotry yet you can't get suadi Arabia out your mouth, what has saudi Arabia got to do with this thread? Did South Africa not seize our cash? Why is the US refusing to sell us arms.
The Israel you are shouting about, what specific assistance have they given us to fight boko haram?

I will not have a bigoted religious debate with you on our foreign policy.

Why did you avoid commenting on Britain but chose Saudi Arabia?

All you just said in the quote is partly why I applauded our neutrality.

Can't you get that.

Sorry to tell you this, you are a classical bigot when compared to Ngwakwe. Just trying so hard to cover it but like pregnancy, it still exposes itself.

Bye.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jan 07, 2015
IGBOSON1:

^^^Fuc/k dat! What has 'standing behind the underdog' got us thus far!

Well i asked the same question in my second line.
Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by charlos14: 2:08pm On Jan 07, 2015
sweetgala:

Within you second line is the un-doing .

Before that particular incident what existed on that land was colonial British protectorate , on the eve of the expiration of that mandate while Egypt,Jordan and neighboring Arab nations fought for the spoils of land some Zionist came along(migrated to) and declared independence based on "the bibles" description of ancient Jewish land.

A two state system is best as the true people that have suffered are the indigenous Palestinians, descendants of Jews , European Christians and ottoman people from the crusades. Jerusalem has always been no-man's land even in the bible it was never explicitly occupied by Jews , so Israel wanting to keep it is silly.

Are you crazy? Jews have lived in Israel prior to 1948.

The UN need to take over administration of Jerusalem and give it similar designation as the Holy see because it contains artifacts , ruins and religious significance to some of the worlds major religions equally.
Re: Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jan 07, 2015
Ngwakwe:

Why did you avoid commenting on Britain but chose Saudi Arabia?

All you just said in the quote is partly why I applauded our neutrality.

Can't you get that.

Sorry to tell you this, you are a classical bigot when compared to Ngwakwe. Just trying so hard to cover it but like pregnancy, it still exposes itself.

Bye.

How many times have your bigoted self mentioned saudi Arabia on this thread, now that you caught, you want to add Britain to look neutral.

And what exactly has buhari got to do with it. Pathetic

Btw i am not even for or against the policy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking-- Edo Commissioner For Investments And Ppp Dennis Idahosa Joins Pdp / The Rivers. Debate 2015 On The Way. / Please Between Rochas/ Fashola And Atiku/akpabio Who Will You Vot For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.