Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,440 members, 7,853,907 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 07:52 AM

UK Denies Ribadu Asylum - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK Denies Ribadu Asylum (4182 Views)

I’m Not Seeking Asylum Anywhere, Says Diezani / Six Countries Reject Alison-Madueke’s Asylum Request - Sahara Reporters / US Whistleblower : Russia Extends Edward Snowden's Asylum By 3 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Muza(m): 10:22am On Dec 16, 2008
[size=14pt]UK Denies Ribadu Asylum[/size]
*Faces Suspension For Rejecting Posting
By Rotimi Akinwumi (Abuja) and Austin Oboh (Lagos)

Nuhu Ribadu was last week denied asylum by the United Kingdom, which did not see why he should be granted protection either because of his disagreement with his police bosses or his travails as former Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Chairman.
Police sources said he sneaked into London to seek political asylum but drew a blank from the British authorities.

"Ribadu had earlier gone to the ECOWAS court, presumably preparatory to the asylum application, saying he felt greatly endangered.
"He told the UK authorities that he no longer felt safe and that his life was threatened. He also hinted that there was a government plan to poison him," the source recounted.

It was learnt that the British authorities asked him to return to Nigeria and defend himself as he has nothing to hide.

To raise the stakes for him, he may be issued a query next Monday by Inspector General of Police (IG), Mike Okiro, if he fails to report in Edo State where he was expected to have assumed duty as Deputy Police Commissioner (DCP) on December 1.

Ribadu is currently challenging in court his demotion from the rank of Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG) by the Police Service Commission (PSC).
However, a police source stressed on Monday that "the rules state that any serving police officer must seek and obtain the permission of the IG before suing the police as an institution over any grievance. This Ribadu did not do.

"There is no official record attached to Ribadu's name or his file in the police to show that he is engaged in a legal battle with his employers, therefore, it is taken that he is currently observing his 21 days' grace within which he is expected to report for duty.

"If he does not report at his duty post by Sunday, he will be queried. I tell you authoritatively that his AIG is in constant touch with the IG, who has reported to the IG that Ribadu is yet to report to him, to assume duty as directed."

The source explained that he will not be declared a deserter as speculated in the media though he could be recommended for suspension.
According to police rules, any officer below the rank of Inspector can be declared a deserter 21 days after failing to report for duty.

A query by the IG is what officers from the rank of Inspector get for the same offence, which also requires that recommendations for discipline are forwarded to the PSC for implementation.

Weeks after the event, the police authorities are still disputing claims that Ribadu was forced out of the graduation at the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS), Kuru.

They maintain that he walked out of the venue of the event in protest when he saw that his rank in the programme booklet was DCP.

They seek proof that he was molested at the venue of the event, and have noted the absence of any photograph or video depicting this, despite the large number of photographers and cameramen at the occasion.

Ribadu's superiors are yet to hear from him two weeks after he was issued a query asking him to bring the Jeep in which he travelled between Abuja and Jos, during which he said he came under fire in an attempt to assassinate him.

He was also asked to explain how he was attacked in order to facilitate investigation of the incident.

http://www.independentngonline.com/news/tfpg/article01
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by landis(m): 10:43am On Dec 16, 2008
this guy is bad news, does he think EU asylum is just for unserious people??

I am glad he is not allow to abuse asylum for REAL people that needs it.

added, he should have gone to UK with enough MONEY, the brits just love our money.

cheesy grin cheesy
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Nobody: 10:52am On Dec 16, 2008
some people on nairaland are kids

and who is investigating Ribadu being removed openly from graduation

fools!!!!
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Muza(m): 11:01am On Dec 16, 2008
Ribadu knew the power of the media so he packaged himself very well before many journalists.
He fought corruption more in the pages of newspapers and news-magazines than in his office.
he thought that the EFCC was created for him and that the existence of EFCC depends on him,
How can he think that he is indispensable.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Truequest(m): 12:51pm On Dec 16, 2008
landis:

this guy is bad news, does he think EU asylum is just for unserious people??

I am glad he is not allowed to abuse asylum for REAL people that needs it.

added, he should have gone to UK with enough MONEY, the brits just love our money.

cheesy grin cheesy

Couldn't have said it better
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by IykeD1(m): 3:43pm On Dec 16, 2008
Hmm, The Independent? Isn't this one of Ibori's newspapers? Please do a search for Ribadu on
Independent website and I guarantee you 98% of the stories has a negative slant to it. You will
also find out too that the intensity of the negativity ncreased drastically when Ibori got arrested.
Very similar to the Sun magazine.

Please!!!
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by cre8tivity(f): 3:58pm On Dec 16, 2008
i've told you people many times that ribadu is an original bushman. the man operates like an illiterate. he is starting to bring embarrassment to our country. i've recommended to him to take few more classes to polish up his mental state of mind. his supporters also represent what is wrong with nigeria and they should be ashame of themselves. if we condone stupidity, the future of our nation becomes water in basket. we can not have one set of rules for people like ribadu and have another for you and i. it doesn't work well this way. defend your work and defend yourself like a great nigerian. is that too much to ask?
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by cre8tivity(f): 4:00pm On Dec 16, 2008
it is known everywhere in abuja that ribadu did not handle not only the recovered funds, but also major recovered properties, well. in order to enhance ribadu's strategic qualities, i would like to see him return back to school for the following advanced classes: management skill, management conflict, civil rights and liberties, legislative behavior, public policy, business, politics and power, political organization (bureaucracy), comparative politics, modern political philosophy, and symposium in political science. i'm very familiar with these courses and i'm sure that upon successful completion of all these classes, ribadu will become a better professional individual. nigeria is a country that has rules and regulations, ribadu can not just continue to operate like a villager.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by cre8tivity(f): 4:08pm On Dec 16, 2008
i knew ribadu wasn't going anywhere. he can not afford to relocate. do you have an idea of what comes with relocating to another country after you're being wanted by your country? it isn't that simple and ribadu doesn't have the required capacity as yet to pull it through. don't forget that ribadu was just a chairman for an institution that shielded many known thieves. if you did not know this fact, other countries clearly know it. ribadu may be special on your minds, but ribadu is just another nigerian citizen who will line up at foreign airports just like you and myself.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by BAC: 5:58pm On Dec 16, 2008
This story cannot be true. Ask yourself, how can the UK turn down asylum with weeks?. The day the UK government is able to operate that fast, I will send a letter congratulating the prime minister.

In nigeria people are belivers, they believe all junk. so this guy is in troubled waters.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by blesdman(m): 6:08pm On Dec 16, 2008
corruption rating reduces from no 1 to no 8,
Funds running into billions recovered
Transparency International rates Nigeria high amongst countries who are waging war againt graft crimes
Ribadu receiving honours,
Double Promotion of Ribadu to an AIG without recourse to Nigeria Police Commission's statutory procedures, by the Presidency,
International acclaim of Nigeria in a positive light for a season of a young in the office of the chairman of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission,EFCC:later acclaimed as the fear of which, is the beginning of wisdom in Nigeria,
Haba!!!!! This list can continue. The guy by all means made some far reaching impact in Nigeria, yet just at this period of trials for him, these sort of desertion and harsh criticisms by Nigerians is befalling him. Shai make God help Naija ooooooo. sad
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Naijex: 6:50pm On Dec 16, 2008
@Muza and Cre8tivity

No matter the extent you damage Ribadu 's name, trust me the world knows the truth. You even make him more popular .
Because that your fake report is false.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by tharma(f): 6:52pm On Dec 16, 2008
It took 8 months for British Government to process the asylum application for former Thailand Prime minister. There are many people in UK waiting for their asylum application to be processed.

They are just seperading rumour. They know that Nigerians are very naive and can swallow anything given to them by the media. Ibori has learnt the act of brain wash and he is using it very effectively.

Creativity go and tell the independentonline that they are lying

Mumu. Character assassination that was the purpose of the article
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Naijex: 7:03pm On Dec 16, 2008
Abeg, this guys think say them dey talk to cattle rearers.
Because oyinbo don create www.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Ollajay: 7:04pm On Dec 16, 2008
Mark me, Ribadu's enemies will not stop until they take his life!!!

But after that what else can they do?

I guess nothing more,

Ribadu's enemies will some day be destroyed themselves,

Lets watch the events as they unfold.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by kuramo: 7:32pm On Dec 16, 2008
the apparent newspaper article alleging Ribadu has been denied asylum by the UK government can only be described as an attempt by some elements to discredit him in the eyes of Nigerians who get their news from the press. Anyone  who has an understanding of how the asylum system works in the Uk should know it is not possible for a decision to be made without examining all the facts relating to any specific application. i will caution everyone to take the story with a pinch of salt.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by uncleb(m): 7:36pm On Dec 16, 2008
Ribadu may have gone to the extremes in handling isseus.
He may have been partial and may have failed "Us" for not trying som powerful individulas like Babangida.
But Tafa Balogun can not cliam he did steal, neither can "ALAMISI" ur former oil governor claim innocence of the charges against him.

While it might be very though absolving Ribadu, I dont think he deserves what the power that be in the country is making him go through

ITS REALLY A BAD OMEN FOR THE NATION, AND I TELL YOU IT FURTHER ENCOURAGES CORRUPTION AND ENDANGERS NIGERI"S FUTURE.

What baffles me most is our honorable President's silence over this issue.

I think it high time he spoke out as an advocate of rule of law. I rest my case
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by magicfairy(m): 7:41pm On Dec 16, 2008
Nigerians will never learn! They  believe anything! Can you ask yourselves where this so called information is coming? Who are the so called police sources? Are they not  the same forces trying to bring down Ribadu? Moveover, UK authorities do not and would not reveal personal information to third parties. If Ribadu is  requesting for political asylum which normally takes months, if not years,the response of the UK authorities would only be passed on to Mr Ribadu himself, not the so called POLICE SOURCES! A word is enough for the wise.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Nobody: 7:42pm On Dec 16, 2008
confirmed  creativity = bigb1
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by uncleb(m): 7:45pm On Dec 16, 2008
Ribadu may have gone to the extremes in handling isseus.
He may have been partial and may have failed "Us" for not trying som powerful individulas like Babangida.
But Tafa Balogun can not cliam he did steal, neither can "ALAMISI" ur former oil governor claim innocence of the charges against him.

While it might be very though absolving Ribadu, I dont think he deserves what the power that be in the country is making him go through

ITS REALLY A BAD OMEN FOR THE NATION, AND I TELL YOU IT FURTHER ENCOURAGES CORRUPTION AND ENDANGERS NIGERI"S FUTURE.

What baffles me most is our honorable President's silence over this issue.

I think it high time he spoke out as an advocate of rule of law. I rest my case
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Chidoski(m): 8:01pm On Dec 16, 2008
God will save this country
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by earTHMama: 8:05pm On Dec 16, 2008
What is he looking for in the UK?. He should come to the US, the land of the free.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by RibaduFan(m): 8:11pm On Dec 16, 2008
Management lesson

Never fight corruption in the Headquarters of Corruption especially for a corrupt boss.

I can't hold the bull by the horn when someone else is milking it (words of MKO Abiola).
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Sauron1: 8:24pm On Dec 16, 2008

UK Denies Ribadu Asylum

Good for him. . . . . . . . .While he is at it, may Lucifer stick 1000 needles in his eyes.
Bloody nuisance who never realised he was being used!!
Shit has hit the fan now and all his protectors turned their backs on him.

This were ma comments on him in 2006.

Jackal:

Ribadu is being used as a weapon by OBJ.
Lets see what becomes of him after this regime.

Chukwumerije was more effective than Ribadu in IBB's regime.
Where's he today?

Jackal:

@ odeku,
U have guessed right.
There's no fairplay in EFCC.
Some people are languishing and rotting away in 'em jail cells while some people who had commited trhe same crime if not more are walking the streets free with no hassles.

Nuhu Ribadu should be sacked, tied to a stake and be stoned to death.
He is a complete hypocrite who protect some sacred cows and unleash terror on OBJ's adversaries.
Any commission devoid of fairness and honesty should not be tolerated

Ribadu is a Arrow!

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=20472.msg564990#msg564990
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by alfchye(m): 9:34pm On Dec 16, 2008
Good for him, Lets be sincere with ourselves naija has always been a country where ''Dog eat Dog'' Ribadu has done his share of the spoils and now he is paying the price just like the Al-mustaphas of the world, Some people may feel this is a negative view not supporting Ribadu but the issue is far away from that. My personal opinion about Ribadu and EFCC at the time of Obasanjo was that of a very good tool and opportunity to set this country at the right footing in terms of fighting corruption and restroring good governance.

They started quite well but along the line use it as personal tool to intimadate and strangle percieved enermies and opponents of their government or policies, these made me away from beign a supporter of Ribadu whom i was at the beginning of his appointment. Ribadu allowed himself to be distracted by Obasanjo in the process allowing or ignoring thousand of corrupt leaders both governors and legistlators and pursuing others (selective justice) and these made him loose my vote and symphathy. I feel nemesis is now catching up with him for betraying the nigerian masses whom he had opportunity to protect by stopping and exposing corrupt leaders at all levels.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by damola1: 10:35pm On Dec 16, 2008
SINCE RIBADU LEFT EFCC, HOW MANY GOVT. OFFICIAL HAS BEEN PROSECUTED, OR HAVE WE SO QUICKLY FORGOTTEN THE GOVERNOR WHO DRESSED LIKE A WOMAN TO ESCAPE THE UK AUTHORITIES? OR BETTER STILL THE IG, WHO WAS HANDCUFFED?

THESE THINGS ARE RARE IN NIGERA.

I TELL YOU. I LOVE RIBADU, AND I WILL STAND BY HIM ANY DAY ANYTIME, I WILL GIVE HIM ASYLUM IN MY HOUSE IF HE WANTS, BECAUSE HE HAS DONE MORE THAN ANY OTHER MAN HAS DONE FOR NIGERIA.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by Ruddyface(f): 10:48pm On Dec 16, 2008
damola1:

SINCE RIBADU LEFT EFCC, HOW MANY GOVT. OFFICIAL HAS BEEN PROSECUTED, OR HAVE WE SO QUICKLY FORGOTTEN THE GOVERNOR WHO DRESSED LIKE A WOMAN TO ESCAPE THE UK AUTHORITIES? OR BETTER STILL THE IG, WHO WAS HANDCUFFED?

THESE THINGS ARE RARE IN THE UK.

I TELL YOU. I LOVE RIBADU, AND I WILL STAND BY HIM ANY DAY ANYTIME, I WILL GIVE HIM ASYLUM IN MY HOUSE IF HE WANTS, BECAUSE HE HAS DONE MORE THAN ANY OTHER MAN HAS DONE FOR NIGERIA.

Sensible talks at last! Only that your house may not be safe enough for those Ribadic head hunters.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by bawomolo(m): 11:55pm On Dec 16, 2008
na wa for nigerian journalism. so what do we believe
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by aragbaboy: 11:57pm On Dec 16, 2008
The Iboris of this world will continue to fail, the story in Daily Independent is a hatchet job. If Ribadu ever apply for asylum the UK, they might just give the excuse that they are processing it for years in order not to take sides. The truth of the matter is that he took the battle against corruption to new heights that had never be seen before. He is human, he made some mistake but compare to what he did, he is one of our heroes, who had showed that there is still hope.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by otukpo(f): 7:51am On Dec 17, 2008
Naijex
am sure you are still blinded by the make belief of mallam ribadu. may God open your eyes so that you can see clearly.

Muza & cre8tivity
i dey una side.

the evil man runs when no one is pursuing him.
mallam Ribadu's office is in Edo state and they are still waiting for him, at least for him to apply what he has learnt at NIPSS.

ribadu just succeeded in buying over some sections of the media, and they are doing the packaging very well for him. but for people like me, i cant be deceived. Mallam ribadu, abused his office as EFCC chairman. He allowed himself to be used as if he dosent have a brain of his own. Nigeria cant be too hot for him, is OBJ no longer there for him? so he shldn't run away.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by carmelily: 9:29am On Dec 17, 2008
JUNK JOURNALISM AT ITS BEST. Like someone pointed out, the British Government can't work that fast to grant or deny asylum. Besides, that's Ibori's paper reporting. Go figure.
Re: UK Denies Ribadu Asylum by desthan(m): 10:34am On Dec 17, 2008
damola1:

THESE THINGS ARE RARE IN NIGERA.

if you believe this, then you'd believe anything.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

History, As Nigerian Becomes Icao President / President Goodluck Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal University / Imo Contractors Threaten To Abandon Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.