Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,161 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? (9467 Views)

Five Common Roadside Emergencies And How To Deal With Them / .. / 5 Ways To Buy The Cheapest Cars In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Emperoh(m): 8:35pm On Jan 15, 2015
lomomike:

Lol, so you're now comfy with that annoying light?

No matter what trick you perform, that light must come up until you find what triggers the fault. Its even worst in Toyota/Lexus/Scion cars because even if pigeon farts, it will come up.

My 2003 HL 2.4L christmas light showed up, three rubbish codes up. 4 nights ago my RX330's own christmas lights showed up VSC and Check light I've not scanned it yet. I don vex park them travel back to Ibadan via bus.

Comfy ke? Not at all, i just kinda overlook them for now until i have found a workable solution. I drove it like that to the East. What i don't know is if this is affecting my fuel economy. I still get about 330 miles from 60 litres of fuel. In fact, a trip from Abuja to Anambra which is about 336 miles was done with about 60 litres of fuel.

In the mean time, i did scan my car this evening and looked at the O2 sensor voltages. See images below

Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Emperoh(m): 8:45pm On Jan 15, 2015
Further readings of my O2 Sensor showed some uncomfortable voltage

Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Emperoh(m): 8:53pm On Jan 15, 2015
I have still got a few more images. . . . . .

Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Emperoh(m): 8:56pm On Jan 15, 2015
The final set, the images were taken two seconds apart.

Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by adanny01(m): 11:13am On Jan 16, 2015
speed001:
I'm havin d same problem with my 2.4L camry engine. The same code P1135 and d same obd interpretation. Pls which is d correct sensor? Is it d one on the manifold opposite d radiator or the one bellow the car before the catalyst. Note I've looked for dis sensor and I neva c sef. Some mechanics often claim' oga e nor dey do anyfin we dey cut am throway. Smh''. So pls lomomike help. Wud dat make d car guzzle more fuel?

P1135 Toyota

P1135 Toyota - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 1

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p1135_toyota.html#ixzz3Oyc9bKgF

You will hardly get a new oem sensor or if you get it will be expensive. Honda has Denso sensors factory installed. If you are in Abj i can refer you to a mechanic who told me yesterday that he has both the Air/fuel sensor and the O2 sensor. However, they may not be working since he removed from a car or may not be the exact replacement for your car. Honda uses Denso 234-9040 Air Fuel Ratio Sensor or NGK 24803 Air- Fuel Ratio Sensor for pre CAT(Bank 1 Sensor 1) and Denso 234-4797 Oxygen Sensor or NGK 24412 Oxygen Sensor post CAT (Bank 1 Sensor 2). There is an opinion i have read that says not to use Bosch or universal sensors, just Denso or NGK so beware. Compare these with you car if it match, we get him.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by adanny01(m): 11:35am On Jan 16, 2015
Emperoh:
The final set, the images were taken two seconds apart.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by adanny01(m): 1:26pm On Jan 16, 2015
I have been watching a lot of youtube videos suggesting to wash CAT with lacquer (Thinner) and others with just soapy water. Cant seem to find an obvious working method of getting the CAT working up to threshold. Though I got the fact that the P0420 comes up when the CATs efficiency drops by as low as 5%. That means that the CAT is not entirely bad but has started degrading. The check light is annoying so the need to get it out. I have not seen a better and easy solution like the installation of the spacer. Getting one has been a challenge same as the present economic conditions.

I have also found out from one of the videos that to check that the CAT is still working there should be about 100 degree Fahrenheit difference at the inlet and outlet of the CAT tested with an infrared thermometer. I wish i could have access to one.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Emperoh(m): 2:12pm On Jan 16, 2015
adanny01:
I have been watching a lot of youtube videos suggesting to wash CAT with lacquer (Thinner) and others with just soapy water. Cant seem to find an obvious working method of getting the CAT working up to threshold. Though I got the fact that the P0420 comes up when the CATs efficiency drops by as low as 5%. That means that the CAT is not entirely bad but has started degrading. The check light is annoying so the need to get it out. I have not seen a better and easy solution like the installation of the spacer. Getting one has been a challenge same as the present economic conditions.

I have also found out from one of the videos that to check that the CAT is still working there should be about 100 degree Fahrenheit difference at the inlet and outlet of the CAT tested with an infrared thermometer. I wish i could have access to one.

So far, the plug defouler/spacer seems the cheapest option for this now.
if this doesn't work, what i will do is to plan to change the offending catalyst. It feels like luxury, that any time i clear my codes and not see xmas lights on my instrument cluster.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by edubest(m): 6:51am On Jan 17, 2015
Gurus in the house, can this spacer fit in w203 merc Benz c class, am tired of cel, Maf sensor and bad catalyst, pls I need responds.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Piyke: 11:22am On Jan 17, 2015
Emperoh:

So far, the plug defouler/spacer seems the cheapest option for this now.
if this doesn't work, what i will do is to plan to change the offending catalyst. It feels like luxury, that any time i clear my codes and not see xmas lights on my instrument cluster.

You have a point right there, I remember a friend whose car had not only the Xmas light, but SRS, ABS...all kinds of light I wondered how he manages with viewing his cluster.lol
I remember my CEL coming on once due to low engine oil, I was just about to start driving but decided to check the dipstick, alas! oil was below low mark. You know what would have happened if I already had a CEL prior...I may have only been alerted by the grave low oil pressure light or had serious damage to the engine
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Emperoh(m): 1:20pm On Jan 17, 2015
Piyke:

You have a point right there, I remember a friend whose car had not only the Xmas light, but SRS, ABS...all kinds of light I wondered how he manages with viewing his cluster.lol
I remember my CEL coming on once due to low engine oil, I was just about to start driving but decided to check the dipstick, alas! oil was below low mark. You know what would have happened if I already had a CEL prior...I may have only been alerted by the grave low oil pressure light or had serious damage to the engine

Ahh, as a precaution, i do scan the vehicle almost every morning.
This should be able to protect me from any eventuality. . . . . . . . but i still dey ask, how do we solve this issue?
Adanny01 shey you dey Abuja?
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by lonelydora: 2:10pm On Jan 17, 2015
Infact, this CEL on my Accord is making me regret why I sold my 2008 Cerato (although some circumstances caused it). I have decided never to buy any used car again, even if it's brand new Picanto or i10, I will manage.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by adanny01(m): 12:18pm On Jan 19, 2015
UPDATE!!!

Over the weekend, as i was thinking of what to use to fabricate the O2 spacer, i thought of changing my spark plugs since i had a hunch they are not so good. I checked the exhaust tube and intake air leaks as guided from the list below.

Possible causes
- Three way catalyst converter Bank 1
- Exhaust tube
- Intake air leaks
- Fuel injectors may be faulty
- Fuel injector leaks
*Spark plugs may be faulty*
- Improper ignition timing
- Engine Control Module (ECM)

Then i changed the spark plugs, and my mileage improved from my 110mile trip this morning and no CEL for over 200miles so far. I am still watching and in a couple of days if the CEL does not come back, then i shall conclude the spark plugs are responsible for the P0420.

I have suspended the fabrication but had already purchased a 16mm torque wrench attachment to weld onto a 22mm nut to fit the O2 sensor. The next thing was to buy the 22mm nut, weld and thread the other end.

Pic below show;
1. and 2. 16mm torque wrench attachment
3. O2 sensor with probe in the socket wrench
4. Red arrow shows where i will cut away to reduce the space the sensor will be away from exhaust flow. The yellow arrow shows the extend of treading which is about the same with where the probe end will be and the blue arrow shows where the welded nut will be. Dont mind the worn thread on the O2, it is an old bad one.

My major challenge was to be the threading and the thickness of the attachment. Any ideas?

Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Emperoh(m): 1:43pm On Jan 19, 2015
Adanny01,

Where are you based?

Let me get something straight. . . . .0420 and 0430 are the same thing but different banks? One is bank 1 and the other Bank 2?

Someone also mentioned the idea of changing my spark plugs.

I will be monitoring to see where this ends.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by nissparts(m): 1:43pm On Jan 19, 2015
Or you could just buy a spacer and save yourself the stress.
N5k
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by nissparts(m): 1:45pm On Jan 19, 2015
And yes, spark plugs that are fouled can cause the codes to come up but by the time it's bad enough to affect the catalysts it is usually too late.
Keep your fingers crossed
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by adanny01(m): 2:22pm On Jan 19, 2015
Emperoh:
Adanny01,

Where are you based?

Let me get something straight. . . . .0420 and 0430 are the same thing but different banks? One is bank 1 and the other Bank 2?

Someone also mentioned the idea of changing my spark plugs.

I will be monitoring to see where this ends.

Yes, i think you got that right on the 0420 and 0430. Spark plugs is what i changed.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by adanny01(m): 2:33pm On Jan 19, 2015
nissparts:
N5k

I would have, but where and 5k for something that may or may not work. I have asked on a post above who knew where and got no answers. I got tired of looking for it even showing them pictures, most part dealers had no idea. The fabrication parts and labour isnt more than 1k.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by nissparts(m): 2:36pm On Jan 19, 2015
adanny01:

I would have, but where and 5k for something that may or may not work. I have asked on a post above who knew where and got no answers. I got tired of looking for it even showing them pictures, most part dealers had no idea. The fabrication parts and labour isnt more than 1k.

nissparts:
@Op, your first misconception is concerning getting a used one. Contrary to what you have stated, you can easily tell a good replacement just by looking at it. I.e even before it is installed. I don't know where you intend to get your from sha but a used replacement is easily obtainable in Lagos.

Secondly, I still have spacers although just one left. However for anyone intending to install a spacer, you MUST de-cat first. Meaning, you must remove the element in the exhaust. This is because, if at that point, your element has broken up into pieces or breaks into pieces later on, you will not know until it is too late and the particles have been sucked into your engine.

Cheers

Posted in this same thread.
If fabrication is easier for you though, then cool.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by nissparts(m): 2:37pm On Jan 19, 2015
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by adanny01(m): 2:38pm On Jan 19, 2015
nissparts:
N5k

I would have, but where and 5k for something that may or may not work. I have asked on a post above who knew where and got no answers. I got tired of looking for it even showing them pictures, most part dealers had no idea. The fabrication parts and labour isnt more than 1k. Besides "Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420?" is the thread's title.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by nissparts(m): 2:41pm On Jan 19, 2015
adanny01:

I would have, but where and 5k for something that may or may not work. I have asked on a post above who knew where and got no answers. I got tired of looking for it even showing them pictures, most part dealers had no idea. The fabrication parts and labour isnt more than 1k. Besides "Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420?" is the thread's title.

Ah yes, I often forget the average Nigerian's obsession with "cheap". I see the results regularly at the workshop
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by adanny01(m): 2:56pm On Jan 19, 2015
nissparts:

Ah yes, I often forget the average Nigerian's obsession with "cheap". I see the results regularly at the workshop

What do you suggest? That in spite of the alarming poverty rate in Nigeria we should still spend fortunes on maintenance. If it was affordable buying the whole CAT will be preferable.

I used to think only Nigerians want things cheap, i have seen worst especially my white boss.

My connection is very bad leading to the double post, sorry.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by abatically(m): 2:56pm On Jan 19, 2015
adanny01:

Go to any shop where they sell ford parts, tell them u want to buy spark plug adaptor for ford, the size is different from normal ones. Its a perfect fit for o2 sensor.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by adanny01(m): 6:17pm On Jan 19, 2015
abatically:

Go to any shop where they sell ford parts, tell them u want to buy spark plug adaptor for ford, the size is different from normal ones. Its a perfect fit for o2 sensor.

I will try. Thanks.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by abatically(m): 7:13pm On Jan 19, 2015
adanny01:

I will try. Thanks.

Something like this. Ur gonna need 2.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Piyke: 1:47pm On Jan 21, 2015
adanny01:
UPDATE!!!

Over the weekend, as i was thinking of what to use to fabricate the O2 spacer, i thought of changing my spark plugs since i had a hunch they are not so good. I checked the exhaust tube and intake air leaks as guided from the list below.

Possible causes
- Three way catalyst converter Bank 1
- Exhaust tube
- Intake air leaks
- Fuel injectors may be faulty
- Fuel injector leaks
*Spark plugs may be faulty*
- Improper ignition timing
- Engine Control Module (ECM)

Then i changed the spark plugs, and my mileage improved from my 110mile trip this morning and no CEL for over 200miles so far. I am still watching and in a couple of days if the CEL does not come back, then i shall conclude the spark plugs are responsible for the P0420.

I have suspended the fabrication but had already purchased a 16mm torque wrench attachment to weld onto a 22mm nut to fit the O2 sensor. The next thing was to buy the 22mm nut, weld and thread the other end.

Pic below show;
1. and 2. 16mm torque wrench attachment
3. O2 sensor with probe in the socket wrench
4. Red arrow shows where i will cut away to reduce the space the sensor will be away from exhaust flow. The yellow arrow shows the extend of treading which is about the same with where the probe end will be and the blue arrow shows where the welded nut will be. Dont mind the worn thread on the O2, it is an old bad one.

My major challenge was to be the threading and the thickness of the attachment. Any ideas?

Good to hear this. Shows the importance of ruling out other causes of codes. If you've done up to 200miles I think it most probably gone for good.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by adanny01(m): 2:02pm On Jan 21, 2015
Piyke:

Good to hear this. Shows the importance of ruling out other causes of codes. If you've done up to 200miles I think it most probably gone for good.

Its now at least 350 miles and no sign of the P0420 and my mileage couple with the new fuel price is quite better, i cant smile harder than i am doing now.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by nissparts(m): 2:52pm On Jan 21, 2015
adanny01:

Its now at least 350 miles and no sign of the P0420 and my mileage couple with the new fuel price is quite better, i cant smile harder than i am doing now.

Do you travel inter-state? You seem to rack up miles pretty quickly. Or you aren't in Lagos?
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by Piyke: 3:37pm On Jan 21, 2015
adanny01:

I think you're clear then. I can't but imagine how broad your smile would be, given you almost fabricated a spacer and considered fitting a straight pipe. Always good to have no warning lamps on the dash wink
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by adanny01(m): 4:36pm On Jan 21, 2015
nissparts:

Do you travel inter-state? You seem to rack up miles pretty quickly. Or you aren't in Lagos?

You noticed and yes i do every weekend.

I work in Abj spend every weekend with my family in Kaduna! In Abj, I live close to Suleja so travel 60-70miles a day though we swap car with a friend, keep one in town and drive the other home alternatively every working day. Started that routine October and its biting hard while taking a toll on the car. After elections, it will come down or stop entirely with a new out posting.
Re: What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? by nissparts(m): 6:15pm On Jan 21, 2015
adanny01:

You noticed and yes i do every weekend.

I work in Abj spend every weekend with my family in Kaduna! In Abj, I live close to Suleja so travel 60-70miles a day though we swap car with a friend, keep one in town and drive the other home alternatively every working day. Started that routine October and its biting hard while taking a toll on the car. After elections, it will come down or stop entirely with a new out posting.

I would love to have a 60mile commute daily....all highway miles of course grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FRSC Advises Nigerians On How To Drive Successfully / Meet The Man With 7,000 Luxurious Cars(sultan Of Brunei) / 6 Expressions Of A Failing Alternator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.