Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,187 members, 7,822,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church (20056 Views)

Here Is What ECWA Church President Have To Say About Kaduna Killings / Kaduna: ECWA Church Donates Foodstuff To Muslim For Ramadan / I've Come To Demolish Money Gospel In Nigeria - Kenyan Prophet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by cuteboy2: 2:40pm On Jan 10, 2015
Oritsejafor, Others Condemn Planned Demolition Of 99-Year-Old Church In Katsina
Kastina State Urban and Regional Planning Board (KSURPB) intends to demolish the 99 years old ECWA Church Headquarters Mission in Mataazu in Mataazu Local Government Area of Katsina State claiming that the church has no approved development permit. The plan, according to Katsina state government says it intends to build a road through the middle of the ancient church compound which contains school, the old church premises, and offices.

A memo conveying the ultimatum entitled: “Stop Notice” from the Katsina State Urban and Regional Planning Board, signed by one Hussain A. Lawal (Development Control Manager) for General Manager dated January 6, 2015, sent to ECWA Trustees accused the church of building without the necessary legal requirements of planning permission from KSURPB or in violation of such permission.

The questions bothering everyone's mind are:

1. How can a 99 yr old church built before Nigeria existed as a nation possess building permit?

2. Katsina landscape is typical sahel arid region, open countryside with enough open and free land which affords for easy detour of this road. Why construct a road straight through such ancient building?

THE President of Christian Association of Nigeria, Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor; ECWA President, Rev. Jeremiah Gado and President of Tarayyar Masihiyawan Nijeria (Hausa, Fulani and Kanuri Christians), General Ishaku Ahmed Dikko (retd), have criticised the planned demolition of over 99 years old ECWA Church Headquarters Mission in Mataazu in Mataazu Local Government Area of Katsina State by the Katsina State Urban and Regional Planning Board (KSURPB).

They vowed to resist the action, which they described as “pure persecution of Christians.”

The Board had issued a three-day demolition notice to the church just as the state government was said to be preparing to construct a road that will pass through the church compound which also has a school and staff quarters.

A member of ECWA church told journalists recently in Abuja that the planned demolition was generating tension that could cause a religious crisis in the state.

But a memo conveying the ultimatum entitled: “Stop Notice” from the Katsina State Urban and Regional Planning Board, signed by one Hussain A. Lawal (Development Control Manager) for General Manager dated January 6, 2015, sent to ECWA Trustees accused the church of building without the necessary legal requirements of planning permission from KSURPB or in violation of such permission.

The memo obtained by journalists reads in part: “You are hereby advised to stop all the development work at Matazu ECWA Church. It is believed that you are proceeding with development of the site without the necessary legal requirements of planning permission from Katsina State Urban and Regional Planning Board or in violation of such permission.

“If you are developing the site without planning permission, or in contravention of conditions of such permission granted, you are committing an offence. In receipt of this notice, you should stop such development work with immediate effect and present a formal application for planning permission to the Development Control immediately.

“Failure to act within three days of this notice may result in further action by the Board. This notice will cease to have effect only after the issuance of planning permission by the Katsina State Urban and Regional Planning Board.”

Reacting to the development, Oritsejafor, said: “I am very upset about this; it is very unacceptable because this is pure religious persecution.”

Meanwhile, the indigenous Hausa/Fulani Christians in Matazu local council have written to Governor Ibrahim Shema appealing for a re-visitation of the proposal for a road to be constructed through ECWA Mission Compound by the council.

Spokesperson of the group, Dr. Yunusa M. Matazu said: “The proposed road will only succeed in dividing the compound into two as the compound is not a thoroughfare as such leading to nowhere.”

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/national-news/193357-oritsejafor-others-condemn-planned-demolition-of-99-year-old-church-in-katsina

6 Likes

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jan 10, 2015
Moderator front page ooooooooo

3 Likes

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jan 10, 2015
@op are you a Christian residing in katsina? If Yes! Were you affected by funtua crisis? If yes please yes! Share your experience please, if No you can still share your knowledge about it (that's if you reside in katsina). GOD bless

2 Likes

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jan 10, 2015
You see this is what I've been saying all these while, islamists whether pdp, or apshits are BLOODY FANATICS! Nigeria say NO to islamism

38 Likes

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by zizazizu: 4:54pm On Jan 10, 2015
I know that church! It is one of the few heritages in Nigerian history and a very key heritage in ECWA history.

And then there is a Buhari who is busy entering churches in the south and in the east while turning a blind eye on the churches directly under his nose in Katsina.

Goodluck can't do anything because if he intervenes, they will say it's because he is a Christian.

I hate all the politics going on right now!

All of it! On both camps!

Just save this church. We Christians in the North do feel sometimes that we are counted as sheep for the slaughter for the Muslims to plunder and the Christians in other parts of Nigeria to sacrifice.

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by ProfessorPeter(m): 6:53pm On Jan 10, 2015
Expect more of such demolition in the country as soon as the chief terrorist becomes the president of Nigeria

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by cuteboy2: 9:32pm On Jan 10, 2015
sbaks:
@op are you a Christian residing in katsina? If Yes! Were you affected by funtua crisis? If yes please yes! Share your experience please, if No you can still share your knowledge about it (that's if you reside in katsina). GOD bless

No I don't reside in Katsina.
Will appreciate if you can educate us more about the Funtua crisis, especially if you have first hand experience.

1 Like

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by cuteboy2: 9:49pm On Jan 10, 2015
zizazizu:
I know that church! It is one of the few heritages in Nigerian history and a very key heritage in ECWA history.

And then there is a Buhari who is busy entering churches in the south and in the east while turning a blind eye on the churches directly under his nose in Katsina.

Goodluck can't do anything because if he intervenes, they will say it's because he is a Christian.

I hate all the politics going on right now!

All of it! On both camps!

Just save this church. We Christians in the North do feel sometimes that we are counted as sheep for the slaughter for the Muslims to plunder and the Christians in other parts of Nigeria to sacrifice.

We really feel for Christians in the North, and all the horrible suffering and killings they are going through. ECWA church seems to be particularly targeted, for reasons I just cannot understand. Maybe you fellows up there can tell us more.

General Buhari can win lots of hearts in Christian community in the North and more in the South if only he will just use his influence to stop this blatant obliteration of Christian heritage. Infact that 99yr old church is not just a Christian heritage, it is a national heritage.

26 Likes

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by alotofgrace(m): 1:11am On Jan 11, 2015
let God be God and His enemies be vapourised sad

10 Likes

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by cuteboy2: 4:58am On Jan 11, 2015
Gen Buhari is from Katsina. Gov Shema is Yar'Adua's protege, and is supposedly GEJ's supporter.
These men should speak up and act to prevent the destruction of this national heritage.

2 Likes

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by Acidosis(m): 6:33am On Jan 11, 2015
"1. How can a 99 yr old church built before Nigeria existed as a
nation possess building permit?"

16 Likes

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by eedris07(m): 6:34am On Jan 11, 2015
Say wetin happen? Hmm #hands fold#
Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by zeezboy(m): 6:34am On Jan 11, 2015
Mke i book space 2!
Mke e 4 nor loss!

1 Like

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by omenka(m): 6:35am On Jan 11, 2015
If the church is that old but still habitable, I think they should preserve it for the purposes of history instead of destroying it.

9 Likes

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by Blackchampion(m): 6:35am On Jan 11, 2015
He who destroys d House of God, shall have his household destroyed million folds.
God is alive
#I Rep ECWA Family,
#IbelongtoECWA Family

29 Likes

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by Jarus(m): 6:35am On Jan 11, 2015
I think in the interest of national sensitivity, Katsina SG should drop this. At least we can pretend to be blind to Fashola pulling down mosque in government secretariat two or three years ago.

Meanwhile, before the anti-GMB elements come here to shout, let me remind them upfront that the current Kastina SG is a PDP government.

12 Likes

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by LMAyedun(m): 6:38am On Jan 11, 2015
ProfessorPeter:
Expect more of such demolition in the country as soon as the chief terrorist becomes the president of Nigeria
grin

4 Likes

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by Icon4s(m): 6:38am On Jan 11, 2015
Really Bad. This is just a tip of the iceberg. By the time power shifts back to the North all the churches in that region would be demolished.

Even the Bible says "Fear North!"

8 Likes

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by Jarus(m): 6:38am On Jan 11, 2015
cuteboy2:
Gen Buhari is from Katsina. Gov Shema is Yar'Adua's protege, and is supposedly GEJ's supporter.
These men should speak up and act to prevent the destruction of this national heritage.

How does an action of a PDP government concern Buhari?

CAN that is the spokesbody of Christians in Nigeria have rightfully called attention to it. Is Buhari, still a private citizen, the spokesperson of Christianity in Nigeria?

Anyway, I forgot this is a period of christianization of Buhari.

5 Likes

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by omenka(m): 6:38am On Jan 11, 2015
cuteboy2:
Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by Nobody: 6:38am On Jan 11, 2015
If it was a 99yrs old shrine, I doubt they would have the courage of planning the demolition.

1 Like

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by jentlsoul: 6:41am On Jan 11, 2015
@ op am not in support of demolition of church in katsina bu let me ask u how many mosque they allow to stand in SS and SE? U hypocrite.

5 Likes

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by omenka(m): 6:41am On Jan 11, 2015
Jarus:

How
Like he said, a public structure that old is seen as a national heritage and should be protected. A kind word from both men he mentioned could make the UDB pull back their bulldozers or wrecking ball.
Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by zeezboy(m): 6:41am On Jan 11, 2015
Marc9:
But y?
wait mke i ask ifa!
Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by frankyfresh(m): 6:42am On Jan 11, 2015
Now they want to demolish a church.....
It's obvious Christians ain't wanted over dere..
They are just looking for attention....

#Goodluck Jonathan till my grandma learn how to dance shoki

GOD IS WATCHING ON 3D

2 Likes

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by DjHypno(m): 6:42am On Jan 11, 2015
Hmmmmnn.
Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by Hydrogen9R(m): 6:42am On Jan 11, 2015
Hydro review
1.Nigerians geTting rid of their history
2.Jonathan can't do anything this will bring more hate to him
3.it like Buhari's plan he will later intervain to gain more reputation
4.this due to election a result to get Christians against GEJ
Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by gunuvi(m): 6:43am On Jan 11, 2015
even if the church have building permit it wont be nigeria building permit na.
expect more of it if buhari win. GOD forbid!

1 Like

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by diasporaman(m): 6:43am On Jan 11, 2015
Buhari remember the bible Anambra bishop gave you. So call your brothers to order NOW.

1 Like

Re: Katsina Govt To Demolish 99 Year Old ECWA Church by unmask: 6:44am On Jan 11, 2015
sbaks:
You see this is what I've been saying all these while, islamists whether pdp, or apshits are BLOODY FANATICS! Nigeria say NO to islamism
isn't it too early to be downing alomo?

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Rev. Fr. Ejike Mbaka In Subsidy Removal(he Cursed Jonathan) / self-service Controversy: Pastors Blast Oyakhilome / {free} Face Divination Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.