Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

2015 General Elections,the Past,the Present And The Future - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015 General Elections,the Past,the Present And The Future (856 Views)

INEC Announces Dates For 2019 General Elections / 2015 Presidential Elections: The Voice Of Man, Prophecies Or Guess Work / Jega Must Conduct 2015 Elections- The Punch Newpapers Editorial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

2015 General Elections,the Past,the Present And The Future by lanaVello1(m): 11:49pm On Jan 15, 2015
Change is the only constant thing. Never resist change.
In the past few weeks, I have seen a supposed gentle President engage in what can be called a combatant posture towards the February 2015 general elections. This posture makes me wonder if he is not already assuming the position of ‘do or die’ politics. In light of this, the opposition candidate who seeks the number one position of Nigeria seems not to understand the demands of Nigerians. He seem not to get it that some Nigerians want him there as an alternative to the present President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, not because of his past coloured multifaceted records but because of the saying that, ‘if the preferable is not available, then the available becomes the preferred’.

As to our past, Nigerians are coming from a past that is characterized with victories and defeats. This country has witnessed insecurity and has overcome insecurity. Witnessed corruption and has reduced corruption in the most appropriate way. Witnessed terrorism and has overcome terrorism. Once upon in this nation, students have had it so good that they get employment immediately they graduate. And once upon in this nation students have it so bad that they dare not ask for their supposed ‘right’. In this nation, proceeds of agriculture have been used to build tertiary institutions like University of Ibadan and Obafemi Awolowo University. Proceeds of agriculture have been used to establish companies and corporations.

Now to our present, oil money that should have been adequately utilized in another massive project is now being used to build twelve sub-standard universities. Then I ask myself, ‘isn’t this discovery of oil a curse?’ Even if it is a curse, it is a curse we are due to be freed from. Don’t you think?

At this junction, I need to take some major catastrophic issues in this nation one after the other in series.

SERIES ONE

On Corruption, which is the bane and clog in the wheel of the progress of this nation, it is preposterous to say the least that a sitting Commander in Chief of Armed Forces will take the view that corruption will only be tackled or combated by technology. Even in the most advanced of countries, this social menace is being treated with outer disgust and the required legal sophistication. It is notable that under former President Olusegun Obasanjo, two anti-graft agencies were established to combat the menace. This was necessary when it seems the cankerworm called ‘corruption’ was assuming a larger than life status in the country. Furthermore, it is on record that the anti-graft agencies were able to crack top notch cases of corruption under the former President. Including against Alamieyeseigha (our current President’s former boss), who he has since granted a pardon. Even thou some opine that the anti-graft agencies were basically used against anyone who goes against Baba Obasanjo. Still, it is known that these actions of EFCC and ICPC created an unseen fear in the hearts of Nigerians and thus curbed the menace. On the other hand, it looks like President Jonathan has been bedding these corrupt elites has evidenced in the series of pardons he has granted to those convicted of stealing billions of naira and dollars like Bode George, Diepreye Alamieyeseigha, Gbenga Daniel, Mohammed Abacha, Kashamu, to mention a few. The serious allegations of financial impropriety against some ministers, heads of ministries, and Federal Government agencies cannot be overlooked either. Monies that are meant for refurbishment of schools, building of hospitals, payment of salaries, construction of roads, bridges, were stolen by these people. Is the President not against the masses by allowing these people that stole their billions to go scot free?

As to the future, Nigerians have not said General Muhammudu Buhari is the best man for the number one job but some believe he is a better man for the job. Nigerians are not oblivious of the past atrocities of General Buhari, so also are they not unaware of his ability and antecedents as an anti-corruption crusader. I heard someone re-echo the voice of the Presidency of recent, saying the general jailed someone who stole #5000. If President Jonathan believes it is wrong to jail someone who stole #5000 then I think we have a problem. As someone rightly noted, the best campaigner of General Buhari is President Jonathan’s ineptitude.

Make no mistake, am not a supporter of neither President Jonathan nor General Buhari. But I am a Nigerian that desires and wants change in the status quo. For Nigerians that are spreading the propaganda that General Buhari will Islamise Nigeria or revert to his former self that does not belief in neither the rule of law nor freedom of the press. Note that everything in life is a risk. No one becomes successful without taking risk(s). And I believe the desired Nigeria of our dream and hopes is worth that risk. As I said earlier, General Buhari may not be the best candidate for the number one job, but hopefully, he can be a better candidate than the present.

To be continued…Series Two
By: Akinrinwa Omotayo Festus (‪#‎TLAW‬) (A writer, social and political commentator)
Re: 2015 General Elections,the Past,the Present And The Future by Champele(m): 12:12am On Jan 16, 2015
Once upon a time,there was a time in this country when you can not write all this,publish it and still alive.
Re: 2015 General Elections,the Past,the Present And The Future by lanaVello1(m): 1:08am On Jan 16, 2015
Champele:
Once upon a time,there was a time in this country when you can not write all this,publish it and still alive.
lol,yessoh thank God for actual democracy

(1) (Reply)

2015 Elections: KWAM1, Nollywood Artistes Campaign For APC. (PHOTO) / Buhar's statement of result Indicates A State Dat Was Not In Existence .... / Jonathan Cannot Win 2015 Election — Asari Dokubo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.