Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,266 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:31 PM

I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari (17016 Views)

Photo Of Soldier Killed After Boko Haram Attack On Military Zone In Borno / Nigeria To Get 3m Euros From Germany For Procurement Of Military Equipment / Newly Acquired Military Equipment Being Transported Through Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by LRNZH(m): 4:06am On Jan 17, 2015
The Campaign team of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Presidential Candidate, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (retd), yesterday, tackled President Goodluck Jonathan on his comments during his presidential campaign flag-off in Lagos that Buhari did not equip the military when he was head of state.

Citing a comparative study of the amount spent by various governments on military hardware as part of total defence budget, the Buhari team in a statement by Mr. Dele Alake (Director, Strategic Communications, Buhari Campaign Organisation), said the Buhari administration spent more than the Yar’Adua/Jonathan administration in real terms.

Published in the Journal of African Macroeconomic Review, Volume 2 Number 1, the study, entitled: “ Comparative Regime Analysis of the Trend and Structure of Military Expenditure in Nigeria, 1980-2010,” revealed that while the Buhari/Idiagbon spent 38.68 per cent of total allocation to the military on capital items such as military hardware between January 1984 and August 1985 when it was overthrown, the Yar’Adua/Jonathan administration spent 34.67 per cent of military budget between May 2007 and May 2010.

Authored by Anyanwu Sarah, Egwaikhide Chris and Aiyedogbon John Olu Coris, the study observed as follows: “Buhari/Idiagbon in 1984 also allocated 38.68 per cent and 61.32 per cent for capital milex and recurrent respectively. They spent approximately 16 months. The Ibrahim Babangida regime (1985-1993) spent 19.58 per cent on capital milex and 80.42 per cent on recurrent milex. Abacha/Shonekan/Abdulsalam (1993-1999) regime expended 24.10 per cent on capital milex and 75.9 per cent on recurrent milex.

The civilian administration of Olusegun Obasanjo (1999-2007) for a period of eight years, spent 17.44 per cent of her total milex on capital milex and 82.56 per cent on recurrent milex. Yar’adua/Jonathan (2008-2010) had so far spent 34.67 per cent on capital milex and 65.33 per cent on recurrent.”

Milex refers to military expenditure.

Other studies show that since Jonathan took over the reins of leadership, the capital budget for military hardware has been decreasing while recurrent has been increasing.

For instance, analysing the 2012 defence spending as proposed by the Jonathan administration, APC Governorship Candidate for Kaduna State, Mallam Nassir el-Rufai observed: “When one carefully peruses the capital budgets of the DHQ and Army, most of the capital spending is going towards buildings, some ammunition and vehicle spares.

This year, we are not buying any equipment for the armoured, artillery and other mechanisation needs of the Army – at least not anywhere in the budget.

“The Navy and Air Force are slightly better. The Navy is buying two (yes only two) offshore patrol vessels and six coastal patrol boats and some spares. The Air Force intends to acquire 12 Augusta 109 helicopters, some uniforms, the reactivation of C-130, G222, Alpha Jets and maintenance, and some buildings. No new fighter jets this year!”

The situation was worse in the recently signed Budget 2015 which allocated 90 per cent of military expenditure to salaries and other recurrent needs while a meagre 10 per cent went to military hardware.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/01/spent-military-equipment-jonathan-buhari/

Edit: for those interested in the referenced journal journal, hit link for pdf --> https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=cfW5VIaBGYL1aOqUgqAO&url=http://www.journalsbank.com/jamr_2_2.pdf&ved=0CB8QFjAB&usg=AFQjCNEZfuJjXPT0Nf99DA_AQhTNBHE4tg&sig2=CK5L8Egje31E50veBisEog

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by PassingShot(m): 4:10am On Jan 17, 2015
GEJ is not a good leader. He talks before he thinks most of the times.

“When one carefully peruses the capital budgets of the DHQ and Army, most of the capital spending is going towards buildings, some ammunition and vehicle spares.

This year, we are not buying any equipment for the armoured, artillery and other mechanisation needs of the Army – at least not anywhere in the budget".

How can a president who has been facing insurgency problem since 2009/2010 think he can defeat it if modern hardware are not purchased? They chose to spend large chunk of security budget on buildings and military infrastructures where it is easy to be looted than purchasing needed hardware to tackle the insurgency perhaps with the hope that miracle will make it disappear; or just for some other political gains.

The clueless president, without doing any findings, or just to score cheap political points was busy accusing those who ruled before him for the state of our military institution whereas those leaders performed better than him in providing military hardware which are what you need to defend the sovereignty and integrity of a nation.

“Buhari/Idiagbon in 1984 also allocated 38.68 per cent and 61.32 per cent for capital milex and recurrent respectively. They spent approximately 16 months".

It will be an unforgivable mistake for Nigerians if this man called GEJ is not kicked out with the February 14 election.

116 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by menesheh(m): 4:19am On Jan 17, 2015
What is this illiterate talking about again.

We don't even need ammunition, we take the name of God or whatever beg you to issue out command for these illiterate fools to stop killing innocent life and destruction of already arid dead economy of the North Eastern states so that the fund for ammunition will be channeled to infrastructure and other important needs of Nigerians.

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by madridguy(m): 4:23am On Jan 17, 2015
This is serious and bad. God bless Naija

2 Likes

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by LRNZH(m): 4:33am On Jan 17, 2015
menesheh:

We don't even need ammunition, we take the name of God or whatever beg you to issue out command for these illiterate fools to stop killing innocent life and destruction of already arid dead economy of the North Eastern states so that the fund for ammunition will be channeled to infrastructure and other important needs of Nigerians.

Why don't you provide your source that links GMB with the 'illiterates killing Innocent life (sic)' before you we confirm that you are unlearned?

93 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by menesheh(m): 4:46am On Jan 17, 2015
grin
LRNZH:

Why don't you provide your source that links GMB with the 'illiterates killing Innocent life (sic)' before you we confirm that you are unlearned?
grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by patostation(m): 4:54am On Jan 17, 2015
I support the last speaker!

2 Likes

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by Nobody: 5:05am On Jan 17, 2015
FP staight
Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by mistabiola: 5:10am On Jan 17, 2015
That's true

1 Like

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by Ploy(m): 5:18am On Jan 17, 2015
Cluelessness on display. Who gave Oga Jona the wrong analysis in the first place? Now Abati has landed Oga Jona in yet another bashing.

Oga Jona well before you talk in your community meeting at Otuoke because we are voting out of there next month.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:29am On Jan 17, 2015
menesheh:

Rubbish!

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:31am On Jan 17, 2015
Ploy:
Cluelessness on display. Who gave Oga Jona the wrong analysis in the first place? Now Abati has landed Oga Jona in yet another bashing.

Oga Jona well before you talk in your community meeting at Otuoke because we are voting out of there next month.
A good leader, one that reads, doesn't take all his aid tells him hook, line and sinker. He does his own research.

36 Likes

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by biafranqueen: 5:44am On Jan 17, 2015
PassingShot:

“When one carefully peruses the capital budgets of the DHQ and Army, most of the capital spending is going towards buildings, some ammunition and vehicle spares.

This year, we are not buying any equipment for the armoured, artillery and other mechanisation needs of the Army – at least not anywhere in the budget".

How can a president who has been facing insurgency problem since 2009/2010 think he can defeat it if modern hardware are not purchased? They chose to spend large chunk of security budget on buildings and military infrastructures where it is easy to be looted than purchasing needed milex to tackle the insurgency perhaps with the hope that miracle will make it disappear; or just for some other political gains.

The clueless president, without doing any findings, or just to score cheap political points was busy accusing those who ruled before him for the state of our military institution whereas those leaders performed better than him in providing military hardware which are what you need to defend the sovereignty and integrity of a nation.

“Buhari/Idiagbon in 1984 also allocated 38.68 per cent and 61.32 per cent for capital milex and recurrent respectively. They spent approximately 16 months".

It will be an unforgivable mistake for Nigerians if this man called GEJ is not kicked out with the February 14 election.

That is what they teach you in war college, how to buy ammunition. Meanwhile.... No vacancy in Aso rock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaPiBrmYitM

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by agabusta: 5:48am On Jan 17, 2015
I knew GEJ goofed on that, even without doing my personal research. I know someone will do a valid research to blow away that silly comment he made out of emotion.

Buhari till GEJ begins to think properly before making comments!

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by theV0ice: 5:51am On Jan 17, 2015
hmmmmm......

It's funny hearing that a Buhari who fought the civil war. Who chased back Chadians who were encroaching into Nigeria. Who dealt with Maitatsine would not buy weapons for the army in which he held important commands (the only person to command 3 divisions of the NA). What then were his men using to fight?

I believe we all know about Nigerian army operation in Liberia to halt the civil war? which equipments do you think they used?

Also the Nigerian army operation in Sierra leone to halt civil war where our army single handedly ended that war? which equipments do you think they used?

Even if Buhari, IBB, Abacha didn't buy weapons, what has PDP being doing for the past 16 years of it's rule? Was jonathan expecting the equipments bought in 1984 to still be the ones the army will use to fight in 2014? What has Jonathan being doing since he and Yar'adua got sworn in 8 years ago? what has Jonathan being doing since he became president 5 years ago?

Jonathan is the one who needs to get his army what they need to be relevant today. there's a reason he's called C-IN-C. If he doesn't know, he should quit. Blaming a regime of 30 years ago for his lack of weapons today shows a man who has truly got no clue

49 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by Nobody: 5:54am On Jan 17, 2015
Gmb,you dnt need to explain anything.smiley
#change

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by papaejima1: 5:58am On Jan 17, 2015
PassingShot:

How can a president who has been facing insurgency problem since 2009/2010 think he can defeat it if modern hardware are not purchased? They chose to spend large chunk of security budget on buildings and military infrastructures where it is easy to be looted than purchasing needed milex to tackle the insurgency perhaps with the hope that miracle will make it disappear; or just for some other political gains.

Did you even read the post?
Where did it say he purchased needed MILEX?

Guess the word was too big for you, and to sound intelligent you just had to include it.

Please read the post again, carefully this time. The meaning of MILEX was clearly given.
Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by KwoiZabo(m): 6:01am On Jan 17, 2015
Buhari might not have bought ammunition while he was president. We've not gotten a credible source that he did. 34% Milex or whatever might have been embezzled, until Buhari himself refutes that allegation credibly I believe GEJ. If Buhari lies IBB is there, TY Danjuma and others that are still GEJ's friends will react. Today it is video of Buhari in armoured tank garage, tomorrow it's one useless website statistics. Buhari no buy 1 rifle for army.period

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by papaejima1: 6:12am On Jan 17, 2015
Beats my imagination how people reason upside down!
If our military had all the purported weapons as is being trumpeted about, how come the same opposition is complaining the Boko Haram is better equipped than the Nigerian Military?

Boko Haram fights with IEDs, quad barreled Shilkas, Hilux mounted Anti Aircraft guns and AK47s. The APCs they use are our T-55s and others captured in raids.

So where are the ones Buhari and co bought if the above scenario plays true?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by smohammed1(m): 6:30am On Jan 17, 2015
This is how news is to be read, with fact and figure. I guess when GEJ was saying GMB didn't buy any arm he. Was in a state of bottle trying to make a point that will make Nigerians have sympathy for him.

From the fig above u hv tried but we need more as such, let's try different hand.

#GMB

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by PassingShot(m): 6:30am On Jan 17, 2015
papaejima1:

Did you even read the post?
Where did it say he purchased needed MILEX?

Guess the word was too big for you, and to sound intelligent you just had to include it.

Please read the post again, carefully this time. The meaning of MILEX was clearly given.

So if you know that the meaning of milex was given, why the stupid question then?

My response was perfectly within the context of the report. It is you that need to remove the clog in yours eyes and probably from your thinking faculty.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by LRNZH(m): 6:31am On Jan 17, 2015
john4reala:
FP staight

Let's make this a campaign of issues. FP please.
Cc: lalasticlala, obinoscopy, OAM4J, Maclatunji

5 Likes

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by BlackTechnology: 6:33am On Jan 17, 2015
SW hypocrisy

If Buhari is the right person, why didn't you guys vote him in 2003 cool

You guys plan to install another Yar Adua won't work grin

4 Likes

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by PassingShot(m): 6:33am On Jan 17, 2015
papaejima1:
Beats my imagination how people reason upside down!
If our military had all the purported weapons as is being trumpeted about, how come the same opposition is complaining the Boko Haram is better equipped than the Nigerian Military?

Boko Haram fights with IEDs, quad barreled Shilkas, Hilux mounted Anti Aircraft guns and AK47s. The APCs they use are our T-55s and others captured in raids.

So where are the ones Buhari and co bought if the above scenario plays true?

At the bolded, it could be assumed that those hardware were not maintained and have been grounded; or that they are not just enough for fighting the insurgency.

The fact of the matter is that The Clueless One accused Buhari of not buying a single riffle and he has been once again revealed to be a pathetic liar. QED.

19 Likes

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by LRNZH(m): 6:36am On Jan 17, 2015
PassingShot:

At the bolded, it could be assumed that those hardware were not maintained and have been grounded; or that they are not just enough for fighting the insurgency.

The fact of the matter is that The Clueless one accused Buhari of not buying a single riffle and he has been once again revealed to be a pathetic liar. QED.

Are they not being naive to ask for the whereabouts of ordnance acquired 20 30 years ago?

How many of you still work with equipment procured in 1984 to run your business or do your jobs today?

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by ellechrystal(f): 6:41am On Jan 17, 2015
So we should vote?
Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by angelTI(f): 6:42am On Jan 17, 2015
Gej till May 29,2015

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by kendrick9(m): 6:42am On Jan 17, 2015
Is this man okay?
Of course that was the military era,its only logical that u should spend more on arms. buhari should think of something better to say not all this gibberish.
#Gejtill2019

2 Likes

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by datguru: 6:42am On Jan 17, 2015
So what now ?
Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by rozayx5(m): 6:43am On Jan 17, 2015
is this illiterate still speaking

how many lives has he impacted since leaving the army? , just finding power like a bloodthirsty demon

no business in his name, he cant create jobs, but promises 20 millions jobs out of thin air and constant power supply when his generation failed to step up when asian giants were stepping up

3 Likes

Re: I Spent More On Military Equipment Than Jonathan — Buhari by alberto2k(m): 6:44am On Jan 17, 2015
[size=24]all the money meant for military equipment, his PDP friends dey embezZle am Rallying the Whole Country

Clueless Jona'daft

GMB till 2019[/size]

24 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Vice President Osinbajo Arrives Borno State[photos] / Court Of Appeal Didn't Declare Adebutu As Ogun Pdp Governor Ship Candidate / President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.