Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

(Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. (3511 Views)

Heavy Rain in TBS , Surulere Stadium that brooms cant sweep, God Angry With APC? / Billboard War In Lagos As PDP Candidate Clips Campaign Advert With APC- Pictured / How I Engage With APC Supporters And Win Them Over Offline. Part 1 (Corruption) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

(Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:14am On Jan 17, 2015
If you have read Part One … This is PART TWO of a series of Threads that were inspired by my encounter with a cab driver.

A while ago I boarded a cab ... as the journey progressed. The driver started talking about how APC's buhari was the best thing for Nigeria. After spending 15minutes with him in that cab ... This guy moved from been a buhari supporter to undecided.
All I basically did was share with him my conviction on why I think Good luck deserves a second term.

The first thing any buhari supporter would do when they start engaging you is complain about jonathans government. Their complains revolves around three key themes.
They are
a) Corruption b) Insecurity/bokoharam c) and the economy.
I decided to address each of these themes on separate threads over a period of time, as I try to share with you my personal conviction.
I have tackled corruption in before

For today I would be tackling Insecurity/Bokohram.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:15am On Jan 17, 2015
GEJ FIGHTING INSECURITY

They say Goodluck jonathan has failed in keeping Nigerians safe, that he is incompetent. Under him 200 chibok girls were kidnapped from their school, over 2000 people were massacred in the town of Baga recently. The north east seems to be no longer safe, bomb blast are becoming an order of the day. We hear news of Boko haram taking over cities, while our soldiers flee as they complain that they are poorly equipped, But we hear billions of naira has been set aside for defense. Why do boko haram seem to be getting the upper hand.

MY RESPONSE : In 2003 America invaded Iraq, a country half the size of Nigeria. The major goal was to take the fight against terror to her door step. Several years later with over 4,486 US soldiers dead, and according to Reuters over 2 Trillion dollars an equivalent to 75 times our entire national budget for the year 2014. It is expected that with this much investment from the world's most powerful armies in collaboration with the strongest and the most efficient Secret intelligence agencies in the world ... Terrorism should be history in iraq a county half the size of Nigeria.

But what is the current reality on the ground. As you read this, nearly half of Iraq is currently controlled by a Terrorist organization called ISIS. According to Reuters a top new agency, over 13millions citizen of iraq have been displaced. Over 500,000 iraqis have lost their life as casualties in the fight against terror.

Are the Americans, British and west Incompetent given that even after killing saddam husseni, Bin landen and setting up military bases in iraqi and spending 2 Trillion dollars of their taxpayers money to fight terror in Iraqi an amount that is 155 times our defense budget ... Terror is instead growing like wild fire.

Is Barack Obama and all the leaders of the 10 arab states with their legions of Jet fighters and Kurds/iraqi soldiers on the ground incompetent given that for the past 4 months they have not been able to flush out ISIS from a very tiny city called kobani in iraqi. Instead over 300,000 civillians have fleed to turkey.

The reason for the above information is me trying to provide you a with a deeper context and understanding of terrorism. To give you an idea of the magnitude of the type of enemy we face.

One common trend I have discovered is that most Nigerian underestimate Boko haram and are yet to fully grasp the magnitude of the type of enemy we face. They think they are one rag tag group of criminals.

Boka haram is a terrorist organization like ISIS, Alqueda, Taliban powered by an ideology with funding and support from wealthy extremists in and outside Nigeria. With massive supply of willing fighters Even if the Military kills 50 today, a hundred more rises to replace them in no due time. The world thought that after the death of Bin landen Terrorism would go down and the moral of terrorist would weaken but that is far from the truth in fact the reverse has been the case with terrorist becoming more bolder.

I would not want to completely absolve GEJ of all the blame in this fight against terror. His problem in my opinion has been his inability to carry Nigerians along in the fight and effectively communicate what he is doing in dealing with them. His inability to communicate his sympathy during the wake of the Bring back our girls crisis and his display of insensitivity on some occasion were very wrong and may have sent the wrong signals to most Nigerians.

Irrespective of his shortcomings I make bold to say that GEJ is one president that has done quite a lot in the fight against Terrorism compared to other administration. I say this for the following reasons.

Most Nigerians want results ... They want to see magic happen. They want to hear that our 200 girls are back, that all the captured state in bornu are now under the Military control, the want to shekua head on a tray and Boko haram disbanded . I want the same results too.
The challenge is that they fail to realize that you can't get results out of thin air from an army who for the past 30 years have been left to rot, both in equipment, and in training by successive governments. The quality of our soldiers are no longer what it used to. We have people joining the military not out of patriotism but mainly due to the desire to make ends meet.

Also According to Vanguardngr.com I quote
[/i] From the deep divisions in the fighting ranks of the Nigerian military, it does appear these selfish politicians have reached out to their contacts in the military and convinced many of them not to fight and to sabotage the operations of the Nigerian military. This has led to too many desertions and cowardly actions, which have paved the way for the Boko Haram to make frightful progress to the point of establishing caliphates here and there - See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/11/boko-haram-curious-calls-presidents-resignation/#sthash.BkUsaPgy.dpuf [/i]

So aside Goodluck working hard to correct an over 30 years rot in the military, and leading an army /citizenry filled with saboteurs and Boko haram sympathizers as he tries to navigating his way around the stiff opposition from the west that is bent on limiting his ability to purchase weapons due to their spurious human rights allegation.

More in terms of Ammunition purchase he has recently been able to secure a I billion dollar loan. This loan is not a cash loan but supply of military hardware to be paid over seven years. This loan do not attract interest.

It is very strategic move given that Close to 90% of the armies budget goes into recurrent expenditure. With only 10% left for milex any attempt by GEJ to encroach into the 90% would spell doom to the salaries of men of service who put their life on line for Nigeria. Taking a 1billion loan that did not attract interest and would be paid over 7 years is a very strategic decision. We are on a part to have a much more equipped army to battle terror. The irony is that the same APC say Nigerian army lack ammunition were against this move. Whewww What opposition.

Moreover I have confidence in a Goodluck's leading fight against terrorism in his second term.
In say this because the best way to tackle terrorism is not only by guns, bullets, tanks and choppers but by building strong Intelligence gathering / monitoring systems that enables you detect terror before it strikes.

Hence It is of no surprise that under good luck there have been heavy investment in counter-terrorism joint training programmes and equipment for the Nigerian military and police force.

Also most notably is that Under Goodluck The national identity management commission has been sent on a new course of Building an accurate state of the art Identity Data Base of every Nigerians. With each Nigerian having a unique identification number tied to an electronic card, Just like the social security number in the US ... By this singular action the president has sent in motion a powerful initiative that would enable our security agencies gather solid intelligence and track potential terror or crime suspects. Our fight against terror is poised to be more smarter and efficient once this is completed this year.

Secondly you do not win the war against Terror by killing terrorist alone. You win the war by killing the ideology that powers terrorism.
Key ways of killing the ideology is first by giving citizens in terror prone areas more access to education and opportunities: Terrorist recruiters feed on the ignorance and economic frustration of their recruits. It is of no suprise that Boko haram is against education. That is why Good luck jonathan investing billions of naira in building 9 universities and 125 Almajiri Schools in 13 states in the north is very strategic and an incredible step in the right direction.

The fact is it is much more harder for you to convince an educated man with a job and a good life to go blow himself up. The north is indeed a nuclear reactor of talents, of scientist, of doctors, of inventors waiting to be unleashed to serve Nigeria not as terrorist, not as boko haram fighters.

By this singular act he has nipped in the bud a teeming population of potential recruits, because the Almajiris of today are the potential bokoharams of tomorrow.

You also need a well thought out desensitization strategy aimed and at killing the seeds of extremism in the minds of potential terrorist. As I write this the national intelligence agency is about embarking on a drive to use positive media propaganda as a tool to combat the ideology of these terrorist .

GEJ is not incompetent ... He is the first Nigerian president to face this new kind of threat. A threat that even the so called world powers with all their military advancement and 2 trillion dollars of funding are yet to contain.

12 Likes 7 Shares

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:15am On Jan 17, 2015
Moreover I prefer a good luck led army against boko haram than an APC lead army I say this for the following reasons.

1. The reaction of the opposition to Boko haram : In Paris artists were killed ... In America the world trade center fell ... In Australia a hostage took over a cafe ... the recurring theme in all these events is the fact that everyone including the opposition came together united as one, in support of the government in her fight against terrorism. They stood with soldiers, they stood with men who sacrifice their life to keep them safe.

But what have we have instead is an opposition that would rather oppose the government and make inciting statements instead of contributing her own quota to the fight against boko haram.

This is a quote from daily post.ng
“Rather than show patriotism by collaborating with the Federal Government, the APC presidential aspirant prefers that the nation has no solution until the time he is able to step in as president with his ‘magic wand’ to end the insurgency. This not only exposes a height of insensitivity, but also a clear absence of genuine love and concern for the people. Assuming, without conceding that he has the solution to the problem, should Buhari as a prominent citizen not have put the country first before any selfish political agenda and personal aggrandizement?” - End of quote.

It is therefore of no surprise that the current presidential candidate of the APC when asked to lead a delegation to hold talks with boko haram he refused.

[b] Also seeing publications from the APC complaining that Nigerian has spent over 30billion dollars for defense in two years and yet the military is failing to contain boko haram, forgetting that with over 2 trillion dollars spent in the fight against terror in a country half the size of Nigeria by the best army in the world the west is yet to contain terrorism in iraq. Statements of this nature in contrast with the real reality of the enemy we face as a nation leads credence to the fact that they may have no idea of the magnitude of the enemy we fight.

The fact is that they opposition has done nothing so far in fighting terrorism other than utilizing it to score political points, and have proceeded to indirectly become tools in boko haram's propaganda of terror. I am therefore not confident in their ability to contain terror.

[b] 2. Buhari credentials makes me question his ability to attack Terror: [b] APC's propaganda arm has been awash with the exploit of buhari's battle with the maistine rioters and thus they believe he has the ability to defeat boko haram. [b] Yes Buhari may have won the battle against maistine a small group of rioters in 1985 but the real story is that he ultimately lost the war against terror due to his lack of deep insight of the enemy he faced.
He failed to realize that you do not win way against terror by killing terrorist alone you win the war by killing their ideaology.

I say this because according to this report from these sources below, Boko haram's origins can be traced to the Maitatsine. http://allafrica.com/stories/201107240006.html , http://wwrn.org/articles/32352/?&place=nigeria&section=sectarian-violence http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boko_Haram Read this thread for better context https://www.nairaland.com/833495/lies-lies-lies-buhari-5

This assertion is backed by the fact that it is easy to see that boko haram is the same as Maitatsine, aside its origin… they share the same beliefs, theology and violent methods.

I would also like to point out that his battle against maistine was very insignificant … because this feat have been repeated by our armies over and over again, it can be likened to news we hear every day of our military taking control over a territory and killing so and so number of terrorist and chasing them away, we all know that these news do not mean victory nor does it translate to the fact that the we won the war on terrorism. Until you kill the idealogy you will never defeat terror.

I therefore make bold to say that Buhari failed in fighting terror reason is that Maitatsine never ended in 1985, He might have chased them to chad but because of he left no solid anti terror legacy like other past Nigerian leaders, 30 years later Nigeria is still battling the remains of a group he failed to nip in the bud when he had the chance.

[b] The question is If he failed in fighting terror in 1985 when he was at his prime, What makes me think he can do so today.

Secondly I am not sure I would want a man who made the following statement saying "An attack against boko haram is an attack against the north" … I am not sure I would want a man who spoke out against soldiers laying down their life to keep us safe. I am not sure I want him leading this same army against bokoharam.

Irrespective of the fact that he has gone on to pick a pastor as his running mate … His extremist views like his support for sharia been implemented throughout Nigeria which something the boko haram group seems to be agitating for does not stand well with me.

Good luck Ebele Jonathan may not be perfect. But he is one of the best thing that has ever happened to Nigeria's fight against terror. I would chose a man whose approach to solving terror aside using guns and bullet … is building strong Intelligence gathering / monitoring systems that enables you to detect terror before it strikes as he role out strategies to attack the root source of terrorism like killing the ideology that powers her, using education and capacity building.

I would chose GEJ to a man who shares some extremist views with these terrorist to cap it all failed to nip in the bud just boko haram at its infancy … The fact that he come from a party that has done nothing so far to help in the fight agaisnt terror makes him a not so attractive prospect.

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:16am On Jan 17, 2015

2 Likes

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:16am On Jan 17, 2015
Space for rejionders
Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by jaybee3(m): 9:24am On Jan 17, 2015
Majority of your claims are along the line of he (GEJ) silently did this and that, not having an effective communication strategy bla bla bla....

How exactly do you want him to communicate something that isn't being felt personally?

Don't you get it, Action speaks louder than words?

7 Likes

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by adamskutty(m): 10:13am On Jan 17, 2015
jaybee3:
Majority of your claims are along the line of he (GEJ) silently did this and that, not having an effective communication strategy bla bla bla....

How exactly do you want him to communicate something that isn't being felt personally?

That guy is just wasting his time posting gibberish, lol @ offline arguement with some apc supporters. grin

I am very sure such never occured. grin

Why not do an online debate with apc supporters here on nairaland for all to see instead of all these fake offline arguements he claimed he did ? grin

3 Likes

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by adamskutty(m): 10:19am On Jan 17, 2015
So all of a sudden boko haram has become a powerful army in less than 5 yrs? (according to the op) Wow! This is awesome grin

Goodluck Jonathan has ruled nigeria for 6yrs, if boko bastard could be this power within this short period of time, why hasn't the nigerian army gain such power in 6yrs of jonah rule? grin

1 Like

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by emiye(m): 10:19am On Jan 17, 2015
OP, on your other thread, i stated that GEJ was not marketable, and i gave my reasons why i wont vote GEJ, imploring you to market GEJ in the light of it. I will list them out here again. What i listed out are my own observations on why i wont vote GEJ, maybe you can convince me .

So you believe GEJ is very marketable.

Market GEJ in the light of the following :

1. 400,000 barrels of oil stolen daily, yet pipeline protection contracts running in to billions of Naira in the hands of terrorists/militants

2. increased petrol price from 65-97naira in a period of oil boom over 110usd/barrel consistently for years,

3. power supply has not seen any worthwhile improvement 5 years down the line, it is still the same 4,000mw bullshittt+- , i have been hearing since the Obj regime . I just saw a protest on Channelstv of Benin youths destroying properties of the distribution company in care of the region due to poor power supply to their area

4. Thrillions used in paying fraudulent kerosene subsidy annually, that same amount can build four (4.) or more large scale refineries and there would be change. Yet kerosene sold at over N120 to the populace instead of the claimed N50. Refined petroleum products still imported to the detriment of the country's foreign exchange.

5 Excess crude oil account wiped out, external debt profile rising again after debt relief of 2005, and OBJ's pay off of debt. Foreign reserve account depleting.

6. Several local govts taken over by BH, and BH obviously is enlarging its coast, over 2,000 killed in Baga days ago, yet the man does not appear bothered. Military men at warfront claims military weapons are inadequate and not up to date.

7. Failed to diversify the economy after 5 years, but simply lip service, 70% of the budget still on recurrent expenditure in a developing country that needs lots of physical infrastructures .

8. No concrete plan for grand scale unemployment that is a ticking time bomb, but minimalist approach like "youwin" that provides 1,000 jobs annually in a country with hundreds of million unemployed youth.

There are other massive corruption cases that others on this thread have made comment about, and many other disasters of the administration i have left out.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by adamskutty(m): 10:30am On Jan 17, 2015
This is the same powerful boko haram (according to the op) that yar'adua crushed with ease in 2009 before his death in early 2010.

But those same boko boys came back in 2011 when they saw that nigeria is being ruled by an inept, clueless man who said after the M.E.N.D bomblast in 2010, i quote, " i know the people behind this act, it's definitely not M.E.N.D " grin

Seeing that no one was persecuted for the act, the boko boys gained confidence and came out with full force ,afterall they believed jonah won't do a thing about their attacks since he didn't do anything about the M.E.N.D bombblast. grin

1 Like

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Nobody: 11:05am On Jan 17, 2015
You must be winning over idi0ts and simpletons.

Is ISIS occupying parts of the New york or Texas? or there are multiple bomb blasts inside the US almost every week?
US did not wage war in Iraq to fight terror. It was a regime change and the reason why the nation fell apart is because they decided to remove all the people that maintained the system because they were in Saddam's Bathist party (trying to build a new Iraq). It was a policy failure QED!

The US analogy is just simply idiotic. But you said it urself anyway, You have been talking to cab drivers and not informed citizens.

8 Likes

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Matthewbriggs(m): 11:09am On Jan 17, 2015
jaybee3:

I believe you must have read one of my threads where I dealt extensively about his lack of an effective communication strategy that should give you enough context when I make such statements.

Yes action speaks louder, But actions can only speak when it is communicated effectively.

1 Like

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Matthewbriggs(m): 11:23am On Jan 17, 2015
adamskutty:
That guy is just wasting his time posting gibberish, lol @ offline arguement with some apc supporters. grin

Why not do an online debate with apc supporters here on nairaland for all to see instead of all these fake offline arguements he claimed he did ? grin

You are entitled to your opinion. I respect that. But your assertion are way wrong.

I am not a big fan of back and forth arguments online. One key reason is my tight schedule. Moreover I do engage when it is absolutely neccesary, case in point is my last thread where I did engaged with your APC supporters with the little time at my disposal.
Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Matthewbriggs(m): 11:31am On Jan 17, 2015
adamskutty:
This is the same powerful boko haram (according to the op) that yar'adua crushed with ease in 2009 before his death in early 2010.

But those same boko boys came back in 2011 when they saw that nigeria is being ruled by an inept, clueless man who said after the M.E.N.D bomblast in 2010, i quote, " i know the people behind this act, it's definitely not M.E.N.D " grin

Seeing that no one was persecuted for the act, the boko boys gained confidence and came out with full force ,afterall they believed jonah won't do a thing about their attacks since he didn't do anything about the M.E.N.D bombblast. grin

Your statement gave credence to the fact that you never read my piece.

I stated that you never win the war against terror by killing terrorist alone ... You may win the battle but not the war. Yardua just like buhari never won the war they just won the battle.

I say this because you win the war against terror by crushing their ideology and giving people in terror prone areas more access to education and opportunity.

Case in point is MEND which you mentioned. Mend that was brought to stands still when the government took active steps the give the people of the Niger delta more access to education and opportunity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Matthewbriggs(m): 12:04pm On Jan 17, 2015
missyAL:
You must be winning over idi0ts and simpletons.

Is ISIS occupying parts of the New york or Texas? or there are multiple bomb blasts inside the US almost every week?
US did not wage war in Iraq to fight terror. It was a regime change and the reason why the nation fell apart is because they decided to remove all the people that maintained the system because they were in Saddam's Bathist party (trying to build a new Iraq). It was a policy failure QED!

The US analogy is just simply idiotic. But you said it urself anyway, You have been talking to cab drivers and not informed citizens.

O the reason they fought for the regime change was not because his regime supported terrorism. Abi undecided

Secondly It would be simply idiotic to compare terrorisim in Nigeria to US a developed nation with a military budget that several times our entire national budget.

Iraq is a much better comparison they are both third world nations with a higher percentage of her people followers of a religious prone to extremisim.

2 Likes

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by major466(m): 12:05pm On Jan 17, 2015
Those who have eyes to read, let them read and be filled with knowledge and understanding about the realities of Terrorism, it's Ideology and Mission as it affects Nigeria and the world at large.
The best way to fight Terrorism and boko haram combined is by killing it's IDEOLOGY. Ones the ideology is dead, terrorism will be no more. This is the major reason why the mighty America with all her Military Power could not win the fight against terror in Iraq and Afghanistan.
It's a BIG SHAME for America, Britain and Nato that after spending Trillions of Dollars , ISIS came out, spreading its tentacles to more than half of Iraq. Majority of the arms possess by ISIS today as they expand their empire beyond Iraq belong to the American military. This will make you wonder whether the US and it's allies actually went there to fight terror or were just there covertly grooming and arming its killing tools (The Terrorist) for a more diabolical secret agenda.
Now Terrorism is steadily on the rise globally. It's important people know that ISIS came on board almost immediately after the United States and her allies pulled out more than half of their military resources out of Iraq. What a waste of lives and resources.
Totally Endorsed this thread.

3 Likes

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jan 17, 2015
Matthewbriggs:

O the reason they fought for the regime change was not because his regime supported terrorism.

Secondly It would be simply idiotic to compare terrorisim in Nigeria to US a developed nation with a military budget that several times our entire national budget.

Iraq is a much better comparison they are both third world nations with a higher percentage of her people followers of a religious prone to extremisim

The US military fought the regular Iraqi army. Not irregular forces like Nigeria is currently fighting. The reason for the invasion is not important as compared to the reality on the ground.(There were no terrorist groups in Iraq during the invasion of Iraq) it was a war between 2 nations or is Boko haram now a country? and your point about the military budgets makes no sense at all. Military budgets are proportional to operations and policies. you cant compare both based on the amount to justify anything.

If you are comparing Nigeria to Iraq, compare it to Iraq and remove the US from it totally then you might make a little sense. US combat operation against ISIS so far (bombing campaigns) has to do with the public outrage with the beheading and the government's policy is just to show that they are doing something. Any intelligent military analyst will tell u that if they US should put boots on the ground, ISIS will be history but they wont do it for geopolitical reasons.(That is why they are trying to persuade Turkey to do it)

The argument is that Jonathan is NOT securing the country because he does not have any coherent idea or policy on how to deal with boko haram and the military is weak. You quickly mentioned the US an Iraq scenario. The question we should be asking you is . Are you comparing Nigeria to the US or Iraq? If it is the US, which part of the country is currently under the control of a terror group and if it is Iraq, you are simply admitting that the country has failed just like Iraq?.

If it is idiotic to compare terrorism in Nigeria to the "advanced" US are you admitting there is no current terror group in the US and Nigeria has failed because it is not advanced or it is suffering terrorism because it is not developed and the government is not to blame for not having a sound policy to deal with insecurity?

And since you are comparing Nigeria to Iraq because they are third world countries, Did the boko haram insurgency sprung up because there is a power tussle between to two ideologies of the same religion and as a result of a wider geopolitical war between 2 great powers in the West Africa sub region as it is the case in the middle east? If that is the case can you name the foreign powers involved in funding Boko haram and what is their end game? since you are trying to absolve Jonathan of any policy failure.

6 Likes

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jan 17, 2015
Matthewbriggs:

FYI I have not only been engaing with taxi cab drivers. I have been engaging with people like you who have no clue about terrorism.

Looks like you are the one with no clue. Dude you are way out of your league.

6 Likes

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by tomakint: 12:59pm On Jan 17, 2015
adamskutty:

Wow! You must have fufu for brain Oh blimey! shocked

1 Like

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 17, 2015
adamskutty:

I officially challenge him to a debate here about INSECURITY AND TERRORISM IN NIGERIA ~ HOW JONATHAN HAS FAILED. He should come here and convince me.

2 Likes

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Change2015(m): 1:15pm On Jan 17, 2015
Matthewbriggs:

O the reason they fought for the regime change was not because his regime supported terrorism. Abi undecided

Iraq is a much better comparison they are both third world nations with a higher percentage of her people followers of a religious prone to extremisim.

This is a lie. Iraq was not a major sponsor of international terrorism and that was not why the war was fought. None of the 9/11 killers came from Iraq. Iraq was not a threat to its neighbours after being under UN sanctions and a no-fly zone for many years. If you say different please post links to any USA govt material that says so. Perhaps you have forgotten the never to be found weapons of mass destruction story...
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/343870/why-did-we-invade-iraq-victor-davis-hanson

#change
#GMB
#APC
Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Tsolz: 1:16pm On Jan 17, 2015
adamskutty:

Mr mallam? cheesy
Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by adamskutty(m): 1:38pm On Jan 17, 2015
tomakint:

Wow! You must have fufu for brain Oh blimey! shocked
better than having a brain filled with watery monkey s.perm and decomposed sawdust. grin

2 Likes

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by adamskutty(m): 1:40pm On Jan 17, 2015
Tsolz:

Mr mallam? cheesy
Mr. Mallam?

Your mister ( which is me) is kinda confused here, cos i don't know whether u have been possesed by the spirits of ur cursed ancestors. grin
Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Matthewbriggs(m): 1:47pm On Jan 17, 2015
missyAL:

Looks like you are the one with no clue. Dude you are way out of your league.
missyAL post=29872923:

I officially challenge him to a debate here about INSECURITY AND TERRORISM IN NIGERIA ~ HOW JONATHAN HAS FAILED. He should come here and convince me.

I would address the points you raised. Moreover I am excited and look forward to engaging you on this subject ... Once i clear my schedule.
I am currently unavailable at the moment. I would respond once I am free.

Thanks
Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Change2015(m): 2:07pm On Jan 17, 2015
The links you posted do not say boko haram is the Maitatsine reborn. You either misunderstood or are deliberately trying to confuse. Sure they come from the same general social religious and economic settings but that is all. And what has 16 yrs of pdp given the nation? Insecurity in every corner, with Boko Haram consistently underrated and Jonathan slow to act. The delta amnesty cannot be claimed by Jonathan as that was from Yaradua. However when MEND killed half a dozen police and army personnel in Bayelsa, what was the President's response?
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/04/horror-at-noon-how-militants-killed-policemen-in-bayelsa-state/
https://www.nairaland.com/897383/mend-claims-killing-4-policemen

The army needs to demonstrate it's competence in the face of Boko Haram. Why should citizens cheer when they can see and feel the disinterest coming out of Aso rock? We know the security services have been consuming one quarter of our national budget, and now we have an internal crisis and what do we see... A President that grants waivers for former militants to import arms and naval vessels, a President that thinks armaments are purchased in cash transactions by non-nigerians flying to south Africa. In breach of south African law, and certainly Nigerian law as well. We see a President looking to borrow $1bn to fight the insurgency, because apparently in planning the budget the issue may not have been a priority? Even his belated visit to maiduguri smells of political opportunism.
When abuja was bombed he claimed it was not MEND, and now close to an election, days after MEND endorses his main rival, he says, oh actually they wanted to kill me? MEND has stated that they gave the authorities notice of the bombing and yet there were still fatalities?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2010_Abuja_attacks
The attacks left 12 dead and 17 injured. According to multiple sources,[1][2] the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) issued a warning less than an hour before the first bomb stating the location, near Eagle Square (the venue of the celebration), and the time, around 10:30 a.m., of planned bombings.[3]
The public is left to conclude that Jonathan is a liar because obviously there was no assassination attempted. And the lie is for political gain,certainly not to enhance the security of the nation.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/nigeria-other-terror-attack-why-no-one-talking-about-boko-haram
We have gallant soldiers now sitting on death row, who have said they were sent to the battle front without medical corps attached, and the recent cnn interviews where soldiers complained about their equipment, having to pay for their own treatment, and having to buy their own uniforms. What is the response from the commander in chief? Is there any enquiry to establish the facts and educate the public if the allegations are false? Is there any disciplinary action, if the enquiry establishes that the situation is as these soldiers have testified? Or is it that he needs 4 more years to think about it?

Sorry but you are convincing no-one with your argument. You have not even tidied up the first of your series on his 'fight' against corruption. Nigeria under Jonathan is crawling into division, and that must end.

#change
#GMB
#APC

1 Like

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by RoddyMan(m): 10:50pm On Jan 17, 2015
Its obvious the OP can only convince illiterates who are not well informed. The premise for his arguments are not well thought through and lack depth. He will ignore strong counter arguments like he did in his earlier Thread. No point engaging him at all.
Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Matthewbriggs(m): 7:30am On Jan 18, 2015
RoddyMan:
Its obvious the OP can only convince illiterates who are not well informed. The premise for his arguments are not well thought through and lack depth. [b]He will ignore strong counter arguments like he did in his earlier Thread. No point engaging him at all.

As usual you are entitled to your opinion.

I never ignored those counter arguments. I responded to those I had the time to respond to.

I will respond to all of them both in this thread and the other this week. It will be a fun ride for us all. wink
Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Matthewbriggs(m): 8:31am On Jan 19, 2015
missyAL:

The US military fought the regular Iraqi army. Not irregular forces like Nigeria is currently fighting. The reason for the invasion is not important as compared to the reality on the ground.(There were no terrorist groups in Iraq during the invasion of Iraq) it was a war between 2 nations or is Boko haram now a country? and your point about the military budgets makes no sense at all. Military budgets are proportional to operations and policies. you can't compare both based on the amount to justify anything.

If you are comparing Nigeria to Iraq, compare it to Iraq and remove the US from it totally then you might make a little sense. US combat operation against ISIS so far (bombing campaigns) has to do with the public outrage with the beheading and the government's policy is just to show that they are doing something. Any intelligent military analyst will tell u that if they US should put boots on the ground, ISIS will be history but they won't do it for geopolitical reasons.(That is why they are trying to persuade Turkey to do it)

The argument is that Jonathan is NOT securing the country because he does not have any coherent idea or policy on how to deal with boko haram and the military is weak. You quickly mentioned the US an Iraq scenario. The question we should be asking you is . Are you comparing Nigeria to the US or Iraq? If it is the US, which part of the country is currently under the control of a terror group and if it is Iraq, you are simply admitting that the country has failed just like Iraq?.
If it is idiotic to compare terrorism in Nigeria to the "advanced" US are you admitting there is no current terror group in the US and Nigeria has failed because it is not advanced or it is suffering terrorism because it is not developed and the government is not to blame for not having a sound policy to deal with insecurity?
And since you are comparing Nigeria to Iraq because they are third world countries, Did the boko haram insurgency sprung up because there is a power tussle between to two ideologies of the same religion and as a result of a wider geopolitical war between 2 great powers in the West Africa sub region as it is the case in the middle east? If that is the case can you name the foreign powers involved in funding Boko haram and what is their end game? since you are trying to absolve Jonathan of any policy failure.

This is Why America invaded IRAQ ....

Iraq had been listed as a State sponsor of terrorism by the US since 1990, when Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait. Iraq had also been on the list from 1979 to 1982; Hussein's regime had proven to be a problem for the UN and Iraq's neighbors due to its use of chemical weapons against Iranians and Kurds in the 1980s.
President George W. Bush addressed the nation from the Oval Office, March 19, 2003, to announce the beginning of Operation Iraqi Freedom. "The people of the United States and our friends and allies will not live at the mercy of an outlaw regime that threatens the peace with weapons of mass murder."

Below is a small excerpt from the presidents George bush's speech in 2003

A CENTRAL FRONT IN THE WAR ON TERROR
From the President's speech to the Nation, 9/7/03
Iraq is now the central front in the War on Terror. Enemies of freedom are making a desperate stand there. The terrorists want us to leave Iraq before our work is done. They want to shake the will of the civilized world and they must be defeated. The surest way to avoid attacks on Americans is to engage the enemy where he lives and plans. We are fighting that enemy in Iraq and Afghanistan so that we do not meet him in our own cities.

Two years ago, the President told Congress and the country that the war on terror would be a lengthy war, fought on many fronts in many places. America and a broad coalition acted first in Afghanistan. Nearly two-thirds of al-Qaida's known leaders have been captured or killed. We also acted in Iraq, where the former regime sponsored terror, possessed and used weapons of mass destruction, and for 12 years defied the clear demands of the United Nations Security Council.
(http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2003/09/20030909.html )

With the above information form George bush I have established the fact that the according the US the main reason they invaded iraq was to fight terror.

Yes they battled against a regular army but The U.S.-led Coalition forces toppled the government and captured the key cities of a large nation in only 21 days. The fact is the real war on terror started after the invasion. As they started to battle with extremist and other terrorist elements in their bid to bring normalcy to iraq ... with Over 2Trillion spent and thousand of lives gone. It became evident that their policy against terror was not working they need a policy change, hence the withdrawal of boots on the ground by Obama and American's insistence on not setting boots on the ground to battle ISIS when she came up.

@Change2015 and @ missyAL Before we go deep into this conversation and veer of course engaging on an unnecessary angle of this
conversation. I want to bring us back home to the essence of this conversation.

I would like to state that the comparison between US activities in Iraq and Nigeria's fight against boko haram was not done to compare their strategy against terror and the results they have both gotten thus far. This is not a comparison of budget, nations, military strategy and results but of the crucial role attacking the rudimentary cause of terrorism is to winning to war on terror.

My real goal of the comparison was is bring to light.
1. How bullets and tanks have minimal and ephemeral effect in the fight against terror.
2. To bring to light the magnitude and the resolve of terrorist and the fact that they are like hydras cut one head, 10 more emerges, be they state sponsored or a group of guerilla groups.
3. To show case that you can win a particular battle against terrorist but lose the war against terror.

Now based on my analogy and result on the ground I have presented my facts and to showcase that even tho GEJ may be struggling to win the battle against terror.

GEJ is laying in my opinion a foundation that pushes us one step further to winning the War. You talk about Goodluck lack of policy and a coherent strategy. I beg to differ what goodluck lacks is the ability to communicate effectively and define his policy on terror. Goodluck is a poor communicator. This has been the Achilles hill of his administration. He has suffered from a poor PR team. It is just of recent his PR team is gradually getting their acts together. I have written extensively on this at one point.

So lets engage based on the following. Which president have laid on ground a better framework to win the war on terror. Which president did more to attack terrorism at its root when they had the chance. I would like you to diligently go through my above first 3 posts not just glance over it before you respond because that was me making my case I would like you to make your case for Buhari and counter the statements I made about Buhari and the APC.

As you do this ... I would want us to maintain decorum in our choice of words. If you want us to engage further.

Lets have fun.

3 Likes

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Matthewbriggs(m): 8:47am On Jan 19, 2015
Change2015:
This is a lie. Iraq was not a major sponsor of international terrorism and that was not why the war was fought. None of the 9/11 killers came from Iraq. Iraq was not a threat to its neighbours after being under UN sanctions and a no-fly zone for many years. If you say different please post links to any USA govt material that says so. Perhaps you have forgotten the never to be found weapons of mass destruction story...
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/343870/why-did-we-invade-iraq-victor-davis-hanson

Who is Davis hanson is he president George bush.
Please do not quote me out of context. I never said Saddam was a major sponsor of terrorism. I stated they supported/sponsored terrorism. What has 9/11 killers got to do with my statement.

Also looks like you did not even read the link you sent. You just quote links from nowhere without having a deep understanding of what you are quoting. This is an excerpt from the link you posted below.

The Bush administration made the argument that in the post-9/11 climate there should be a belated reckoning with Saddam Hussein. He had continued to sponsor terrorism, had over the years invaded or attacked four of his neighbors, and had killed tens of thousands of his own people. He was surely more a threat to the region and to his own people than either Bashar Assad or Moammar Qaddafi was eight years later.
I am amazed you never read the bolded statement above in the link you posted.

This is Why America invaded IRAQ ....

Also below is a small excerpt from the presidents George bush's speech in 2003
" Iraq is now the central front in the War on Terror. Enemies of freedom are making a desperate stand there. The terrorists want us to leave Iraq before our work is done. They want to shake the will of the civilized world and they must be defeated. The surest way to avoid attacks on Americans is to engage the enemy where he lives and plans. We are fighting that enemy in Iraq and Afghanistan so that we do not meet him in our own cities.

Two years ago, the President told Congress and the country that the war on terror would be a lengthy war, fought on many fronts in many places. America and a broad coalition acted first in Afghanistan. Nearly two-thirds of al-Qaida's known leaders have been captured or killed. We also acted in Iraq, where the former regime sponsored terror, possessed and used weapons of mass destruction, and for 12 years defied the clear demands of the United Nations Security Council. "
( http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2003/09/20030909.html )

With the above information from George bush I have established the fact that the according the US the main reason they invaded iraq was to fight terror and that Iraq sponsored terror.

MR change who is the liar now.

1 Like

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Matthewbriggs(m): 8:53am On Jan 19, 2015
Change2015:
The links you posted do not say boko haram is the Maitatsine reborn. You either misunderstood or are deliberately trying to confuse. Sure they come from the same general social religious and economic settings but that is all.

The link I posted established the fact that Boko harams origins can be traced to maistastine. Please define what reborn means.

And what has 16 yrs of pdp given the nation? Insecurity in every corner, with Boko Haram consistently underrated and Jonathan slow to act.

@ bolded lets not go there with APC receiving tons of PDP members, the same set of people that played a crucial role in PDP. They are responsible for whatever Nigeria turned out to be in the last 16yrs. This same people are powerful stake holders in your party. APC is PDP with a new name.

The delta amnesty cannot be claimed by Jonathan as that was from Yaradua. However when MEND killed half a dozen police and army personnel in Bayelsa, what was the President's response?
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/04/horror-at-noon-how-militants-killed-policemen-in-bayelsa-state/ https://www.nairaland.com/897383/mend-claims-killing-4-policemen

Guy do you actually read my post and digest my statements before making comments. Where did I say the Amnesty was Jonathan's idea. Moreover kudos would have to be given to Jonathan for continuing with the program and taking it to new heights.

The army needs to demonstrate it's competence in the face of Boko Haram. Why should citizens cheer when they can see and feel the disinterest coming out of Aso rock? We know the security services have been consuming one quarter of our national budget, and now we have an internal crisis and what do we see... A President that grants waivers for former militants to import arms and naval vessels, a President that thinks armaments are purchased in cash transactions by non-nigerians flying to south Africa. In breach of south African law, and certainly Nigerian law as well.

This is a excerpt from my post which you failed to read.

[b] Most Nigerians want results ... They want to see magic happen. They want to hear that our 200 girls are back, that all the captured state in bornu are now under the Military control, the want to shekua head on a tray and Boko haram disbanded . I want the same results too.

The challenge is that they fail to realize that you can't get results out of thin air from an army who for the past 30 years have been left to rot, both in equipment, and in training by successive governments. The quality of our soldiers are no longer what it used to. We have people joining the military not out of patriotism but mainly due to the desire to make ends meet.
This is a quote from Minimah

"“ There is high level of unemployment on the ground, most people want jobs, if that job means joining the Army, fine; it’s a source of employment, but when the reality of military service comes, he drops his rifle and runs away.” (http://www.punchng.com/news/army-getting-new-weapons-to-combat-b-haram/)

Also According to Vanguardngr.com I quote
[/i] From the deep divisions in the fighting ranks of the Nigerian military, it does appear these selfish politicians have reached out to their contacts in the military and convinced many of them not to fight and to sabotage the operations of the Nigerian military. This has led to too many desertions and cowardly actions, which have paved the way for the Boko Haram to make frightful progress to the point of establishing caliphates here and there - See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/11/boko-haram-curious-calls-presidents-resignation/#sthash.BkUsaPgy.dpuf[/i]

So aside Goodluck working hard to correct an over 30 years rot in the military, and leading an army /citizenry filled with saboteurs and Boko haram sympathizers as he tries to navigating his way around the stiff opposition from the west that is bent on limiting his ability to purchase weapons due to their spurious human rights allegation.

We see a President looking to borrow $1bn to fight the insurgency, because apparently in planning the budget the issue may not have been a priority?

What a very silly conclusion. First the loan is not a cash loan but supply of military hardware to be paid over seven years. This loan do not attract interest.

It is very strategic I am wondering why I forgot to mention it in my piece. Close to 90% of the armies budget goes into recurrent expenditure. With only 10% left for milex any attempt by GEJ to encroach into the 90% would spell doom to the salaries of men of service who put their life on line for Nigeria.

Taking a 1billion loan that did not attract interest and would be paid over 7 years is a very strategic decision.
(http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/168645-jonathan-gets-approval-to-borrow-1billion-to-fight-boko-haram.html )

While some lawmakers applauded the effort of the joint committee and moved for immediate approval of the loan in view of the security challenges, Your party was against it. with Olubunmi Adetumbi (APC-Ekiti), and Sen. George Akume (APC-Benue) called for appropriate procedures to be followed by the senate.

The Senate President, Sen. David Mark, however, doused tension by explaining that the senate was not flouting any legal or constitutional provision as the borrowing was not in cash to attract any further procedure before approval.

Even his belated visit to maiduguri smells of political opportunism.

Whatever you like call it… The fact is that he visited maidugri.

When abuja was bombed he claimed it was not MEND, and now close to an election, days after MEND endorses his main rival, he says, oh actually they wanted to kill me? MEND has stated that they gave the authorities notice of the bombing and yet there were still fatalities? The public is left to conclude that Jonathan is a liar because obviously there was no assassination attempted. And the lie is for political gain, certainly not to enhance the security of the nation.

The mains story here is not GEJ's statement but the fact that an unrepentant part of a criminal organization MEND that has refused the amnesty supports your candidate and you were all gaga, happy and jubilating. My friend this is very suspicious. The public is left to believe that APC has some form of links with the remains the criminal organization MEND. Who say they may not have such link with boko haram too, Given that their leader Shekua and buhari your candidate would like to see Sharia implemented allover Nigeria. I am very suspicious of APC

We have gallant soldiers now sitting on death row, who have said they were sent to the battle front without medical corps attached, and the recent cnn interviews where soldiers complained about their equipment, having to pay for their own treatment, and having to buy their own uniforms. What is the response from the commander in chief? Is there any enquiry to establish the facts and educate the public if the allegations are false? Is there any disciplinary action, if the enquiry establishes that the situation is as these soldiers have testified? Or is it that he needs 4 more years to think about it?

Goodluck has just gotten the approval of a 1billion dollar loan in form of military hardware. This load is with no interest it will do justice to an army that have been left to rot for the past 30years plus. What was APC response to this development. The fought against a motion that would enable our soldiers get better military hardware.

Sorry but you are convincing no-one with your argument. You have not even tidied up the first of your series on his 'fight' against corruption. Nigeria under Jonathan is crawling into division, and that must end.

You are entitled to your opinion … I have responded to those deserving of response on my other thread.

Mr Change what has APC done in contributing to help Nigeria fight terrorism aside criticizing and demonize the effort of the military and men who put their lives on the line for Nigeria.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: (Boko haram )PART 2 Of How I Engage With APC Supporters & Win Them Over Offline. by Nobody: 8:53am On Jan 19, 2015
Funny mathewbriggs thinks this is mr nairaland contest or some modeling job grin. Smh. You engaged a taxi driver who is probably a stark illiterate and an unenlightened man and still had the nerve to come here boasting of how you win APC supporters in an argument. grin Even the points you raised shows how negatively skewed your reasoning is.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Dream Last Night. / Don't Blackmail Us, Our Promises Were Mere Campaign Promises!.... APC / Finance Minister Adeosun Unveils Top Priority For Nigeria’s Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 177
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.