Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,544 members, 7,812,702 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:45 PM

Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. (25990 Views)

Construction Of Fourbedroom Duplex And Two Unit Of Two Bedroom Flat @ Isheriopic / Construction Of My 3bedroom Flat All Ensuite / The Construction Of 2-bedroom Twin Flats In Calabar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by mavverick: 2:24pm On Dec 04, 2015
I mean in my own experience, here is how i see it.

We all know how unstable the country can be, with dollar rising at any point in time. If a contractor quotes for a carcass at X amount, 5 months down the line they are ready to do roofing, but guess what the roofing sheet from Wichtech which was N3,4,50 in November has then become N3,700 last last.

Who should suffer the shortfall ?

If it were client - Contractor doesnt have a problem. They simply deal with it, either the client compromises or close eye and buy it like that, not contractors problem.

If it were contractor - How many people think contractor will make up shortfall from thier own pocket and how many people think that the contractor will compromise ??

This can apply to any material. I have just used roofing here as per recent experience.

I have always preferred to supply my own material, as long as its not being stolen or spoilt and its being used in my site (big caveat here as i know a particular white Van with Nexthome builders written on it stealing materials up and down the area ), I dont care if i have to buy extra, and I do not feel the contractor should feel sorry about this. I am currently rounding off my plumbing project, I have had to go to my plumbing supplier 3-4 times even after making a very massive purchase, am i happy at spending extra unexpectedly ? NO
Am i happy that the same quality of material is being maintained everywhere ? YES

I have worked with a particular contractor here (BRABUS) who told my security to tell me that he has bought bags of nails where he hasn't, i mean we are talking of 5 bags of nails here @ 25k. If someone can stoop that low, can you trust them with anything else ? Now i am not painting every contractor like BRABUS but i am just giving an insight into what can happen.

My view is that should materials not be enough, and contractor has committed to a specific amount, they will simply compromise or not deliver at all !! Simple as, very few contractors will put thier hands in thier pocket to cover any shortfall. Notice I didn't say ALL contractors as one cannot generalise.

Just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by Aventures(m): 3:34pm On Dec 04, 2015
@ maverick Tx for understanding lafolabi, life goes on easily when you admit your mistakes rectify and apologies.
Back to our topic abt material procurement. I have had so many clients and we have worked wt different styles. My sincere prayer for all clients is that u will not fall into the hands of a wicked and greedy contractor/Engineers. The reason for my prayers is this: you may procure materials your self and end up buying extra unnecessarily as a matter of fact what you ve bought should be more than enough and yet you will buy extra wout anybody stealing from ur site.How can this happens? A greedy contractor can because of the fact that u are the one buying material and deliberately over use material into your project. Yes you may tell me that is not a problem since everything goes into your project! Alas it is a problem 1. it will end up shooting ur construction cost which u won't discover early until you find out that you have overshot your budget. 2. For instance in a decking where 5 tons is adequate he may end up using say like 7 tons by loading irons more than necessary or cutting the iron in such a way that the wastages will be enormous, and as a matter of fact over reinforcement is even more dangerous than under reinforcement because it cost sudden colapse .
May God help us

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by befto: 4:13pm On Dec 04, 2015
Truth is na only God dey help us.
You hear alot of bad press about certain contractors and you wonder how they still get more clients.
I know not everyone uses this forum but even word of mouth should be sufficient enough to declare some people/outfits a no-go-zone.
The burning question is "why is this the case"? is it Greed, wickedness or just damn right evil?
You buy your own materials and you can still suffer. You pay contractor and you can still suffer so what is the best advice for people that are planning on building their own little solace?
I really feel for our bros and sisters in Diaspora. With us on ground we feel the heat but we can react immediately. for those doing this from afar I salute all of you. It is not easy.

I guess we need plenty deliverance in our construction industry. Nah. we need it for the whole country grin

Aventures:
@ maverick Tx for understanding lafolabi, life goes on easily when you admit your mistakes rectify and apologies.
Back to our topic abt material procurement. I have had so many clients and we have worked wt different styles. My sincere prayer for all clients is that u will not fall into the hands of a wicked and greedy contractor/Engineers. The reason for my prayers is this: you may procure materials your self and end up buying extra unnecessarily as a matter of fact what you ve bought should be more than enough and yet you will buy extra wout anybody stealing from ur site.How can this happens? A greedy contractor can because of the fact that u are the one buying material and deliberately over use material into your project. Yes you may tell me that is not a problem since everything goes into your project! Alas it is a problem 1. it will end up shooting ur construction cost which u won't discover early until you find out that you have overshot your budget. 2. For instance in a decking where 5 tons is adequate he may end up using say like 7 tons by loading irons more than necessary or cutting the iron in such a way that the wastages will be enormous, and as a matter of fact over reinforcement is even more dangerous than under reinforcement because it cost sudden colapse .
May God help us
Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by befto: 4:15pm On Dec 04, 2015
Is the so-called White Van still operating in your terrain? You need to put mopo on it grin

mavverick:
I mean in my own experience, here is how i see it.

We all know how unstable the country can be, with dollar rising at any point in time. If a contractor quotes for a carcass at X amount, 5 months down the line they are ready to do roofing, but guess what the roofing sheet from Wichtech which was N3,4,50 in November has then become N3,700 last last.

Who should suffer the shortfall ?

If it were client - Contractor doesnt have a problem. They simply deal with it, either the client compromises or close eye and buy it like that, not contractors problem.

If it were contractor - How many people think contractor will make up shortfall from thier own pocket and how many people think that the contractor will compromise ??

This can apply to any material. I have just used roofing here as per recent experience.

I have always preferred to supply my own material, as long as its not being stolen or spoilt and its being used in my site (big caveat here as i know a particular white Van with Nexthome builders written on it stealing materials up and down the area ), I dont care if i have to buy extra, and I do not feel the contractor should feel sorry about this. I am currently rounding off my plumbing project, I have had to go to my plumbing supplier 3-4 times even after making a very massive purchase, am i happy at spending extra unexpectedly ? NO
Am i happy that the same quality of material is being maintained everywhere ? YES

I have worked with a particular contractor here (BRABUS) who told my security to tell me that he has bought bags of nails where he hasn't, i mean we are talking of 5 bags of nails here @ 25k. If someone can stoop that low, can you trust them with anything else ? Now i am not painting every contractor like BRABUS but i am just giving an insight into what can happen.

My view is that should materials not be enough, and contractor has committed to a specific amount, they will simply compromise or not deliver at all !! Simple as, very few contractors will put thier hands in thier pocket to cover any shortfall. Notice I didn't say ALL contractors as one cannot generalise.

Just my 2 cents.
Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by segcymoor(m): 4:56pm On Dec 04, 2015
Aventures:
May God help us
over reinforcement vs under reinforcement

-----
Bro like I used to say :some things were not expected to be done anyhow angry
Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by mavverick: 6:14pm On Dec 04, 2015
befto:
Is the so-called White Van still operating in your terrain? You need to put mopo on it grin

Oga Befto.

If that white van wants to enter estate, it would not be allowed to enter at all.
If i see the Van for area by any chance, I will ask Mopol to seize it by force to recover some of my losses.

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by mavverick: 6:20pm On Dec 04, 2015
Aventures:
May God help us

I get your point Oga Adventures, the fact that you didnt answer some of my questions, would it be safe to say that my assumptions/writings are correct ?

In actual fact, one of the points you mentioned about Engineer deliberately sabotaging things is very true, YOU NEED TO SEE THE BLOCKS THAT BRABUS SET ON MY SITE !!!

Its shocking to say the least, or let me say shocking is an understatement.
I just thank God I have a good team of bricklayers who are putting things right, what should be very simple had catastrophic errors, in fact the bricklayers BRABUS brought to my site probably never used a PLUMB or heard of it. The errors are too basic. I am putting together a blog which i will place on one of brabus pages, It would be very unfair to place is on lafolabi page as he has nothing to do with it.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by befto: 6:34pm On Dec 04, 2015
Bro, This cant be the same BRABUS now. Come on. Give the guy some credit.
Don't you follow his projects? This guy is super-good ooo. Maybe you got his twin brother, LOL

mavverick:

I get your point Oga Adventures, the fact that you didnt answer some of my questions, would it be safe to say that my assumptions/writings are correct ?

In actual fact, one of the points you mentioned about Engineer deliberately sabotaging things is very true, YOU NEED TO SEE THE BLOCKS THAT BRABUS SET ON MY SITE !!!

Its shocking to say the least, or let me say shocking is an understatement.
I just thank God I have a good team of bricklayers who are putting things right, what should be very simple had catastrophic errors, in fact the bricklayers BRABUS brought to my site probably never used a PLUMB or heard of it. The errors are too basic. I am putting together a blog which i will place on one of brabus pages, It would be very unfair to place is on lafolabi page as he has nothing to do with it.

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by lafolabi(m): 7:24pm On Dec 04, 2015
mavverick:

Lafolabi

No hard feelings. Thank you very much.
I enjoy reading your posts and often learn a lot as well.
Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by lafolabi(m): 7:48pm On Dec 04, 2015
Thanks my oga mavverick,for ur understanding Godly minded and demostration of leadership .

Back to our topic, material procurement.
My advice to clients is that they should watch out when buying materials
Not to buy sub-standard materials. Many clients do.
Just because the dealers understand that the client or client representative don't know anything about materials, they decided to give them bad materials,and is dangerous .it collapse building. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by segcymoor(m): 8:11pm On Dec 04, 2015
How can you give me anyhow materials to use just because u ve liberty of procuring. No way! I used to specify especially type of reinforcement I want for those who wish to 'carry the burden' grin

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by befto: 8:37pm On Dec 04, 2015
Thats how it should be.
A contractor should be strong enough to tell his/her client that he will only use certain times of materials for certain things that require high quality.
you can't compromise on safety of any structure and any fatality as a result of bad material/bad job will be on the client as well as the contractor.

No excuse....

segcymoor:
How can you give me anyhow materials to use just because u ve liberty of procuring. No way! I used to specify especially type of reinforcement I want for those who wish to 'carry the burden' grin
Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by Aventures(m): 9:40pm On Dec 04, 2015
@ maverick sir , you are very right that I evaded your question, I was trying to save the house some contractual grammar. You painted a scenario about the change in price of roofing sheet. There's what we call fluctuation in contract. if you have a contract that is rigid that does not alliw for fluctuations then the contractors who takes up a wholesome contract is on his own, but if otherwise the increase would be calculated and the client pays, but even in a rigid contract fluctuation could still be allowed on a passionate ground if the reason is crystal clear like that of economy crunch. I have had such grace before. Never the less if the client is very rigid and not considerate there is always a way out. I ll keep that for now. lol. A yoruba adage says that "what an elder use to eat cold papa is under the leave"
Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by lafolabi(m): 10:10pm On Dec 04, 2015
Is the duty of the contractor/engineer to give specifications of the type of material needed.
and the client representative brought the one he or she feels is cheaper. And is a sub-standard or bad material. Sometime the material is being mixed together both good and bad.the dealer usually do this, as he understand that the client doesn't have the experience. or client representative also do it just to make money

it happened in procurement of materials like weak block, rough wood,etc.
A client representative went to Ijebu ode just to bring rough and patched up wood and almost half of it is wasted.and later buy more. In iron, sometimes the dealer mixed local with imported.and sometimes they removed from the boundle of the iron. We alwas ask them to change it. While the work is slow down.
When God gave you honest builder. The best is to allow him to handle it completely.(advice)
Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by befto: 10:44pm On Dec 04, 2015
Thank you. And how can we tell who is an honest builder?
Maybe that will help us choose better in the future.
Thanks

lafolabi:
Is the duty of the contractor/engineer to give specifications of the type of material needed.
and the client representative brought the one he or she feels is cheaper. And is a sub-standard or bad material. Sometime the material is being mixed together both good and bad.the dealer usually do this, as he understand that the client doesn't have the experience. or client representative also do it just to make money

it happened in procurement of materials like weak block, rough wood,etc.
A client representative went to Ijebu ode just to bring rough and patched up wood and almost half of it is wasted.and later buy more. In iron, sometimes the dealer mixed local with imported.and sometimes they removed from the boundle of the iron. We alwas ask them to change it. While the work is slow down.
When God gave you honest builder. The best is to allow him to handle it completely.(advice)
Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by lafolabi(m): 10:48pm On Dec 04, 2015
Aventures:
@ maverick sir , you are very right that I evaded your question, I was trying to save the house some contractual grammar. You painted a scenario about the change in price of roofing sheet. There's what we call fluctuation in contract. if you have a contract that is rigid that does not alliw for fluctuations then the contractors who takes up a wholesome contract is on his own, but if otherwise the increase would be calculated and the client pays, but even in a rigid contract fluctuation could still be allowed on a passionate ground if the reason is crystal clear like that of economy crunch. I have had such grace before. Never the less if the client is very rigid and not considerate there is always a way out. I ll keep that for now. lol. A yoruba adage says that "what an elder use to eat cold papa is under the leave"
Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by lafolabi(m): 11:14pm On Dec 04, 2015
To be fair, builder should be allowed to do there work and get the right materials and right workers when is needed.so that he will do what to do, when it surpose to be done
Is not every builder that cares about his or her integrity like us.choose your contractor wisely and trust him, is the one deciding on what to do. Your's is to drop the materials on site and go to your office. His decision on site is final and it determine the future of your property. Building is life property it has to be well done.

ADVICE.
Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by lafolabi(m): 11:28pm On Dec 04, 2015
@ befto sir, by there fruit we shall know them.
Study him if is consistent reliable and honest,you will know.we have people here that will work for the best. Forget about much packaging.ki se gbobgo nkan to ndan ni wura.thanks.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by Aventures(m): 7:14am On Dec 05, 2015
befto:
Thank you. And how can we tell who is an honest builder?
Maybe that will help us choose better in the future.
Thanks
Prayer! I believe so much in prayer. A client once tild me that he took his time to pray before choosing his contractors likewise I pray before taking up any job. I always ask God to divert any Job that will give me issues or have problems away from me and He has always answer my prayers.
Also careful study of the contractor in question.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by lafolabi(m): 11:11am On Dec 05, 2015
Steel fixer, working on the first floor beam reinforcement.
Beam is a structural element that is capable of withstanding load primarily by resisting bending.

Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by befto: 1:34pm On Dec 05, 2015
Thank you for your words of wisdom. I hope we have more honest contractors like you that maintain high integrity.

lafolabi:
To be fair, builder should be allowed to do there work and get the right materials and right workers when is needed.so that he will do what to do, when it surpose to be done
Is not every builder that cares about his or her integrity like us.choose your contractor wisely and trust him, is the one deciding on what to do. Your's is to drop the materials on site and go to your office. His decision on site is final and it determine the future of your property. Building is life property it has to be well done.

ADVICE.
Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by lafolabi(m): 1:52pm On Dec 05, 2015
You are highly appreciated sir.
I think we do.thanks
Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by gabbytabby: 5:10pm On Dec 05, 2015
Aventures:
Prayer! I believe so much in prayer. A client once tild me that he took his time to pray before choosing his contractors likewise I pray before taking up any job. I always ask God to divert any Job that will give me issues or have problems away from me and He has always answer my prayers.
Also careful study of the contractor in question.

hmm hmm hmm only baba God can save you from the typical 9ja builder/contractor it's like oyibo go say looking for a needle in a hay stack.
Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by lafolabi(m): 8:29am On Dec 06, 2015
Papa Adeboye said "if there is fake, there must be original". I also believe that. "if there is Bad surely there are very Good builder/contractor "
Sir the generalization is not right. Nobody(client) have ever question my work or point bad finger on me for over 27yrs of experience in construction I know is God's special grace and I know some good contractors here also.thanks
Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by lafolabi(m): 10:23am On Dec 06, 2015
Progressive work

Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by lafolabi(m): 3:07pm On Dec 07, 2015
Iron bender, fixing slab reinforcement.

Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by mavverick: 3:56pm On Dec 07, 2015
Hello Lafolabi.

Is it essential that a DPC membrane be placed on a decking before casting ?
Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by lafolabi(m): 8:48pm On Dec 07, 2015
Damp-proof membrane (DPM) nylon is an insulator.to prevent the heat that generated from the chemical reaction between cement and water,not to escape from the gap between the plank or to reduce heatloss from under.Is moisture barrier,It retained concrete water it allow the Water with cement substance that surpose to have escape in between the space of the plank to remain in the concrete and became more hardened.it keep under surface concrete very smooth.is very essential when using planks (wood)thanks

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by lafolabi(m): 10:26pm On Dec 08, 2015
Formwork.

Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by lafolabi(m): 11:14pm On Dec 08, 2015
Is slow, because of local government and Lagos state building control agency intervention.the issue is almost resolved. Thanks.
Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by lafolabi(m): 3:43pm On Dec 09, 2015
Working on beam and slab reinforcement

Re: Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. by lafolabi(m): 6:29pm On Dec 09, 2015
More pictures of front, back and side view

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Surulere Super Shopping Plaza On Fire / Cheap Land For Sale At Maitama Abuja. "incredible Price" / Lekan Adegbite Decries High Price Of Cement In Nigeria Despite Local Production

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.