Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,295 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria - APF 2001-08-27 21:32 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria - APF 2001-08-27 21:32 (982 Views)

Sanusi: Zamfara Started Sharia In Nigeria, Today It Has The Highest Poverty Rate / Total Sharia Implementation : APC And Buhari Using Kaduna As a "Test Ground" / Why We Must All Support Full Sharia In The North. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria - APF 2001-08-27 21:32 by charlesamos123: 7:26pm On Jan 17, 2015
From Archives, "Buhari, who ruled Nigeria from a coup in December 1983 to his ouster in 1985, told a seminar in Kaduna, northern Nigeria, at the weekend that the strict Islamic law code known as the Sharia should be introduced in full across Nigeria.
"I will continue to show openly and inside me the total commitment to the Sharia movement that is sweeping all over Nigeria," Buhari said, quoted in press reports.
"God willing, we will not stop the agitation for the total implementation of the Sharia in the country," Buhari said."
Nigerian's Vote Wisely!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria - APF 2001-08-27 21:32 by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jan 17, 2015
Q
Re: Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria - APF 2001-08-27 21:32 by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 17, 2015
Later, melu-melus like egift, barcanista and that omenka will start deceiving gullible Nairalanders..

BTW, what's the difference between the Sharia practiced by these muslims and those practiced by Boko-haram??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria - APF 2001-08-27 21:32 by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jan 17, 2015
OP I have few questions 4 you:

Did he also sÀy "non muslims should be enlightened that they have nothing to fear"(or somethingy)?
Did the Bible say Christians should be Christ-like at all times and wherever we find ourselves? Does it mean that a Christian President that is Christlike is Christianizing the country?
Was Joseph an Hebrew when he was appointed PM in Egypt? Did he Hebrewnise the whole Egypt and Pharaoh Palace?
Did Buhari introduce Sharia in Nigeria as HoS or PTF Chairman or Petroleum Minister?

Please answer these questions honestly!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria - APF 2001-08-27 21:32 by ellechrystal(f): 7:58pm On Jan 17, 2015
It can't happen in this New Era...
If he has an evil agenda, then he will never sit on that throne.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria - APF 2001-08-27 21:32 by charlesamos123: 8:04pm On Jan 17, 2015
DDeliverer, there is no difference, we all knw that this man is a conc. islamist, he was trying to change the mind of people to vote for him by choosing a pastor. the difference is clear, he his just doing that because of this election.Before now has he gone to any church? the answer is no.So think about it. vote wisely GEJ WINNING TEAM.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria - APF 2001-08-27 21:32 by Rilwon: 8:08pm On Jan 17, 2015
charlesamos123:
From Archives, "Buhari, who ruled Nigeria from a coup in December 1983 to his ouster in 1985, told a seminar in Kaduna, northern Nigeria, at the weekend that the strict Islamic law code known as the Sharia should be introduced in full across Nigeria.
"I will continue to show openly and inside me the total commitment to the Sharia movement that is sweeping all over Nigeria," Buhari said, quoted in press reports.
"God willing, we will not stop the agitation for the total implementation of the Sharia in the country," Buhari said."
Nigerian's Vote Wisely!

What were his exact words on shariah?[/b]

Here:

In June 2001, Sheikh Sidi Attahiru Ibrahim launched his book at a Dan Fodio University event. General Muhammadu Buhari was invited to chair the event, where he spoke ex-tempore.

Later that month, Buhari granted an interview to Rev, Fr. Matthew Hassan Kukah (present day Catholic Bishop of Sokoto) confirming what he said at the book launch. Here is the relevant portion of Kukah’s report on what Buhari said during their June 23, 2001 conversation (which was published in the Weekly Trust edition of July 6-12, 2001)

“During the course of my comments, I drew attention to the fact that the introduction of Sharia had become one of the main issues in this new dispensation. I explained that Sharia, however, has been with us well before the British colonized Nigeria. Now, Sharia has been introduced in many Northern states and Sokoto is one of the states that has already adopted Sharia. It must be pointed out however that Sharia is applicable only to Muslims. Those elements that have taken the law into their hands and use the opportunity to molest other non-Muslims are not helping the cause. What is amore, they are like bad policemen or judges who are making the enforcement of justice so difficult in Nigeria. Their shortcoming does not do the police force or the judiciary any good, but these acts do not detract from the imperative of both institutions. Midway through our democracy, we have time now to assess the situation on ground in terms of making our choice in the next elections. Vote for good men whether they are in Borno, Katsina, Sokoto or wherever. Vote for those who will protect your interest. This, Rev. Father, is the summary of every thing I said and the tapes are there.” (1)

Nothing controversial in any portion of that statement, I’d say?

The controversy began when Ahmed Oyerinde, a long time Sokoto correspondent for ThisDay and other Newspapers, (who was not at the venue of the book launch when Buhari spoke) made up the false quote and reported this as fact in ThisDay. In the aftermath of his report, the tape of the event was played and no such statement was found there. Oyerinde later confessed to his Editors that he was not at the event and did not hear Buhari say any such thing. I was told that ThisDay later published a retraction of the report. (2)

For the record, Oyerinde, sadly now late, had been the subject of a disciplinary investigation by Nigerian Press watchdogs for allegations of taking money to write false and mischievous stories. The allegations were confirmed and he was reprimanded. One of these investigations dates back to 1990. (3)

Yet, despite Buhari’s many denials, and the defence of neutral observers like Fr. Kukah & Garba Shehu the peddlers of this lie keep repeating them maliciously.

REFERENCES:
1. Kukah, Matthew Hassan, Weekly Trust Newspaper, Abuja, July 6-12, 2001

2. Private conversation with a Senior ThisDay editor with close knowledge of the 2001 incident on Dec. 30, 2014

3. Shehu, Garba, Premium Times, http://www.premiumtimesng.com/opinion/106982-not-accepting-to-negotiate-with-boko-haram-could-hurt-buhari-by-garba-shehu.html

-http://factchecki.ng/question/did-buhari-say-muslims-should-only-vote-for-muslim-leaders/

2 Likes

Re: Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria - APF 2001-08-27 21:32 by charlesamos123: 8:10pm On Jan 17, 2015
ellechrystal as a president he has the power to push in the bill, seek for support towards that effecting of bill. The thought of it will cause panic in the country. for the fact that had that concept in the first place is damaging enough.
Re: Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria - APF 2001-08-27 21:32 by charlesamos123: 8:18pm On Jan 17, 2015
Rilwon, have you checked my reference that i sent, this report is not from thisday news pepper, its from a French news pepper. So verify it before you comment.
Re: Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria - APF 2001-08-27 21:32 by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jan 17, 2015
charlesamos123:
Rilwon, have you checked my reference that i sent, this report is not from thisday news pepper, its from a French news pepper. So verify it before you comment.

There is no French news paper called APF.

If you are talking about AFP, They usually grab most of their local African stories from the local newspapers. If that is not the case, can you provide a visual archive showing that the original source wasn't Ahmed Oyerinde?

2 Likes

Re: Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria - APF 2001-08-27 21:32 by meforyou1(m): 8:28pm On Jan 17, 2015
Buhari is just a terrorism sponsor janjaweedean Islamic bigot
Re: Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria - APF 2001-08-27 21:32 by ellechrystal(f): 8:35pm On Jan 17, 2015
charlesamos123:
ellechrystal as a president he has the power to push in the bill, seek for support towards that effecting of bill. The thought of it will cause panic in the country. for the fact that had that concept in the first place is damaging enough.
Yes sir. Truth.
Re: Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria - APF 2001-08-27 21:32 by charlesamos123: 11:26pm On Jan 18, 2015
@Rilwan now I knw u don't have any bases ur just spitting wht ever comes out of ur mouth
Re: Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria - APF 2001-08-27 21:32 by perculiarperson: 11:58pm On Jan 18, 2015
barcanista:

Did he also sÀy "non muslims should be enlightened that they have nothing to fear"(or somethingy)?
Did the Bible say Christians should be Christ-like at all times and wherever we find ourselves? Does it mean that a Christian President that is Christlike is Christianizing the country?
Was Joseph an Hebrew when he was appointed PM in Egypt? Did he Hebrewnise the whole Egypt and Pharaoh Palace?
Did Buhari introduce Sharia in Nigeria as HoS or PTF Chairman or Petroleum Minister?

We need more understanding of the deep things you are asking about. Looking at your itemised list with mere eyes will take away the truth inherent in the stories.

But I do tell you, I'd rather we do not give the opportunity for the thought of what the op has written about... Going by what those who commit religious atrocities have done in the name of islam, I wouldn't want to learn from experience.

As they say prevention is better than cure. Also it is said that experience has taught us never to learn from it directly. It would be wise to take a cue from what has happened to others.

Thanks.
Re: Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria - APF 2001-08-27 21:32 by londoner: 12:29am On Jan 19, 2015
barcanista:

I always wonder why APOC supporters don;t just address what Buhari said.

What he said is quite clear. Talking around it, or about other people does not change it.

What do you, as a person feel about what was said by Buhari? What do you feel bout what th OP quoted.

Please answer that first, thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Can You Spot Something Odd In This Picture Of Buhari And Ameachi? / Obasanjo Speaks About Buhari's Certificate Issue / CAN WE ALLOW BUHARI'S PAST TO BE OUR CHILDRENS FUTURE?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.