Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,945 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:38 PM

Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen (45911 Views)

Mikel Obi Becomes Tianjin Teda’s Captain & Given No 10 Jersey / Mikel Obi Reacts To Buhari's Wife In Kitchen Comment With This Photo / Nigerian-born Anthony Joshua Becomes British Heavyweight Boxing Champion(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jan 18, 2015
Icecomrade:
Mikel is a smart guy. All those stupid Nigerian fans running their mouth on his refusal to leave Chelsea despite not getting a regular playing time can now see he had a better idea than they did.
Nigerians can make someone loose focus!

What do u expect from negative minded people?
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jan 18, 2015
See how Nigerians sale their patriotic ago.
So what's the big deal in having a british passport?
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by maternal: 5:33pm On Jan 18, 2015
danjumakolo:

You don't have to live in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by btoks: 5:41pm On Jan 18, 2015
danjumakolo:
probably because their citizens are treated with fairness and respect.plus that passport takes them to most places on earth with no palaver.
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jan 18, 2015
sage2:

Chai, you are truly ero-tic. What's up with ABJ?
Thanks. abj z fine and bubbly! cheesy
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by ttmacoy: 6:07pm On Jan 18, 2015
Foreigners don't pay more tax than citizens in the UK. Tax is based on how much you earn in the UK irrespective of where you are from

CaptainOjemba:
Wise decision, won't be paying much tax again as a foreigner. Congrats nwa Igbo
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by ttmacoy: 6:08pm On Jan 18, 2015
I don't see how being a British citizen impacts his tax. He pays same tax based on how much he earns and besides the passport enables him play for Chelsea as a home grown player due to the restrictions on number of foreign players and it also makes it easier for him to transfer to other European leagues without thinking of work permit.

Billyonaire:
I hope he understands the implications and the Tax Burden associated with getting that passport. It is not a thing of joy, but of sober reflection.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by ttmacoy: 6:12pm On Jan 18, 2015
Unless be quits international football, he has no choice but to play for super eagles as he has already represented Nigeria competitively hence by fifa rules he cannot represent England again even as a British citizen. The benefits of the passport will be his club career as he can easily move to other European leagues and also count as a home grown player die Chelsea.

nduchucks:
Mikel is still a Nigerian citizen since he is yet to renounce his Nigerian citizenship in any Nigerian court. Our laws allow for dual citizenship, he can continue to play with the Eagles, but not obligated to do so.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jan 18, 2015
ttmacoy:
I don't see how being a British citizen impacts his tax. He pays same tax based on how much he earns and besides the passport enables him play for Chelsea as a home grown player due to the restrictions on number of foreign players and it also makes it easier for him to transfer go other European leagues without thinking of work permit.

What I know is that he will pay taxes on all his assets within and outside of the UK, even his assets in Nigeria will be taxed. That's US and UK policy, and that's why I rejected US citizenship.
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jan 18, 2015
Billyonaire:
What I know is that he will pay taxes on all his assets within and outside of the UK, even his assets in Nigeria will be taxed. That's US and UK policy, and that's why I rejected US citizenship.

grin shocked lipsrsealed undecided

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by ttmacoy: 6:41pm On Jan 18, 2015
Yes that applies to the US not UK. And for the example income earned in the UK by an American citizen has to be declared but doesn't necessarily mean you have to pay tax as there is no double taxation up to a certain threshold amount.

the US is one of the only few countries who tax their citizens abroad.

The UK does not tax foreign earnings of its citizens. Besides the British passport to his career is worth more than the taxes he will pay as he has freedom to move across the European leagues.

Billyonaire:

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by marieolae(f): 7:25pm On Jan 18, 2015
CONGRATS

grin
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by naijaboiy: 7:33pm On Jan 18, 2015
marieolae:
CONGRATS

grin
angry
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by Ezevajina: 7:49pm On Jan 18, 2015
tellwisdom:
[color=#990000]Passport wey we dey take put akara, na em this wan dey jubilate about sad[/color]

Even though I don't understand what you have said there, but I was thinking exactly like you

1 Like

Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by marieolae(f): 7:55pm On Jan 18, 2015
kini
naijaboiy:

angry
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by TaiKuun(m): 8:00pm On Jan 18, 2015
I[color=#006600][/color]'m not sure he was fully committed to super eagles during the afcon qualifiers. I mean, how could someone with such a known intention still be allowed to play in the Super Eagles. cry
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by naijaboiy: 8:12pm On Jan 18, 2015
marieolae:
kini
Kiniun undecided
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by 190: 8:27pm On Jan 18, 2015
chelseabmw:
Up chelsea
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by btoks: 8:32pm On Jan 18, 2015
Billyonaire:
I do know there are complex sporting/endorsement laws in UK and their taxman might want a cut of some of his endorsements in or out of UK. Their arguement being he gets his popularity in UK.this is regardless of citizenship.
US laws are different I believe.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jan 18, 2015
any citizenship is better than that hopeless, humid country known as nigeria.i too would change my citizenship in his shoes and never reveal to anyone that i was previously nigerian. never !! grin grin
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by Leon2036(m): 8:52pm On Jan 18, 2015
gabriel74:

Maybe he want to say, will deported from nigeria
lolzzz the guy funny ah swear
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by Leon2036(m): 8:54pm On Jan 18, 2015
Olamitisoji:
broda, he can always be deported, nd his citizens status revoked, go do ur finds to him. Congrats to him anyways. But for career minded by people like him who seek higher firm at the detriment of what their country holds for them i worry for you. Cos you will need something from nigeria some day but you will be denied of your dual citizenship. And i thing Nigeria's football association should deny Nigerian footballer's with dual citizenship, cos i knw Nigeria will be gr8 sumday. Mikel make you too remember say Oyinbo people knw themselves ow.
you are just plain funny i cant even bring my self to read those trash u wrote

1 Like

Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by Leon2036(m): 8:55pm On Jan 18, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
Don't be surprised that you replied to someone who thinks a passport is the photo wey come in 4s wey person dey take for photo studio.
\
hehehehehehe nah true u talk oh
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by kingphilip(m): 9:45pm On Jan 18, 2015
Sacramento4real:

He doesn't need to renounce it first.Nigerian law does not recognizes dual Sim....sorry,dual citizenship.Have you forgotten the Fayemi case?
he can't contest for any elective post n it's not all about dual citizenship
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jan 18, 2015
Billyonaire:
I hope he understands the implications and the Tax Burden associated with getting that passport. It is not a thing of joy, but of sober reflection.
really? Where did you pull those lines from?

1 Like

Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by akulaxx: 4:10pm On Jan 19, 2015
What is great about that... there are so many Nigerians[b][/b] with British passport rushing home to contest election so as to loot our money.. hungry Britain
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by rhames(m): 6:14pm On Jan 19, 2015
Super Eagles shuld start shopping for super 10 not dead 10
Re: Mikel Obi Becomes British Citizen by tck2000(m): 3:45pm On Jun 08, 2019
Hola

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Cuddles His Twin Babies As He Unveils Them Online. Photo / Juventus Players Arrive Cardiff For UCL Final (Photos) / ‘Ewure Oshi’ - Anthony Joshua To Iphone 8 Owners ‘asking Him For Favors’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.