Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,930 members, 7,821,253 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures - Agriculture (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures (214243 Views)

Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Green House Tomato Production / Cassava Production And Processed Products Made From Cassava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by stanvesco(m): 3:19am On Nov 24, 2016
jethro2:
Since the YABDI Ogbomosho project, I have received several calls and enquiries from nairalanders on the production and marketing of Tomatoes profitably in Nigeria.
Hence forth I am going to be writing on my experiences , mistakes, solutions and the way forward as Tomato farmer .
Tomato is a crop that has no enemy. No tribal, cultural, nor religious sentiments about tomato.
Both young and old loves and takes tomatoes.
Tomatoe can be eaten raw in salads or cooked in stew, soup and other delicacies

oga madam jethro
good morning sir
please I need your help
I am going for an Audition
in the Nigerian rebirth program on 25th November
my presentation would be on greenhouse tomatoes production and paste production..... I need your contributions please
my whatsapp is 08063152970
how can I reach you please
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 6:05pm On Nov 24, 2016
stanvesco:

oga madam jethro
good morning sir
please I need your help
I am going for an Audition
in the Nigerian rebirth program on 25th November
my presentation would be on greenhouse tomatoes production and paste production..... I need your contributions please
my whatsapp is 08063152970
how can I reach you please

I can be reached on 08188540096
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 11:24am On Dec 06, 2016
Growing Maxim Tomato Variety..

The first time I heard of this variety was through a colleagues that we were doing a project together.

" There is a new tomato var heard about. I learnt the breed is good. It has high yield He said"

The high yield got my attention
Had someone tested it before? I asked.

People has testified to it.
Then he opened the catalogue for me to read.
The first catchy thing there was its resistance to the almighty 'Bacteria Wilt'

An experience tomato farmers will understand what that means.

Bacterial wilt is a highly communicable diseases in tomatoes. It can destroy farm within the twinkle of an eye.

Its a soil borne disease that withered the plants at the points of fruiting.

The second point is the yield per acre under good Good Agricultural Practises. GAP.

The yield is 70 tonnes per acre.
Let me simplify the tonnes.
1000 kilo equals 1 tonne.

Which make 70 tonnes to be 70,000 kilo.

And so you think?

An Hausa basket is 50-70 kilo.
Sure we all know the Hausa basket.

That gives us 1000 basket per acre.

What!!!!!!!
Now I am getting your attention
A basket at last year peak was as high as N30,000.Then figure it.

" How is that even possible"?
Those are just crazy figures....
She is just advertising......

Reading your thoughts..........

Yes. Its possible if one follows the guide lines.
There is something we call Good Agricultural Practise GAP.
It sure entails all involves from seed handling through nursery to management, post harvesting and storage practises.

That's part of what we offer at the training.

70,000 tonnes.........
Per acre?

That's absurd.
Ridiculous.

" The same way I thought too

My colleagues that told me about it bought an acre requirement and give to me to test.
A sachet of 10g then was sold for N5,000

Those that have been following our page definitely know by now how many grams is needed for an acre.

Then I have some arrangement with my village farmers. So I gave to seed to my right hand man to plant on his farm.

3 months later, his farm become the tourist centre for some other farmers who want to see that big tomato.

Another one, Maxim was planted in September and transplanted the same month, rain stop falling by October.

We started harvesting by December and we harvested the last batch in February of the next year.

Still with me?

We experiment by harvesting some tomatoes and keep at home to see how long it will last before it get bad.

It stay more than 3 weeks.
No refrigeration.

So what quantity do you make from an acre?
It never occur to us to measure or calculate then.

So you ask how much do you make from the produce?

Our production was off season.

There is surplus in the market
So the price was poor.
Very poor

N2,000 per same basket
Transportation cost inclusive.
Harvesting cost
Basket cost
Police cost
Loading cost

That's where batch production and knowing peak and off season comes into farming.

We never follow the GAP
No staking
No fertilizer application
Spraying was irregular
No watering after the rain stop
Etc

We have tried out several varieties after because we feel its expensive by then.

But I know better now.
That was last year experience.

Another peak period for tomato is approaching.

* For more class
Join us next time to discuss the target market for different crops.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by karlxavier(m): 3:35pm On Dec 06, 2016
@ Jethro, can one have a greenhouse constructed and have a farm manager to manage the farm for him or her from you? Just asking
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 3:47pm On Dec 06, 2016
karlxavier:
@ Jethro, can one have a greenhouse constructed and have a farm manager to manage the farm for him or her from you? Just asking

Yes you can get from us
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Sylverly(m): 7:24am On Dec 09, 2016
jethro2:

Still attending to question 4
Someone could start big and mess it up while some one could start small and successfully build it up. its could be vice versa. There are lots of factors that affect production and marketing
please sir, I would really need ur contact. There is something important I would like to discuss with you.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 12:27am On Dec 10, 2016
Sylverly:
please sir, I would really need ur contact. There is something important I would like to discuss with you.

08188540096, 08064688501
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Arvinkris(m): 6:35am On Dec 10, 2016
@Jethro I think d continental maxim F1 is an indeterminate variety? Is it suitable for open field? Wat is ur opinion of Danny n master variety if u ve tried it. How do i get the maxim f1 n how many gram can cover an hectare?
Thanks in anticipation
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by ADEWALE7777: 6:59am On Dec 10, 2016
175 acres of farmland with C of O for sale in Iseyin Oyo state. Very fertile for all crops. Suitable for palm tree planting. 100k per price. Introductory promo price

43 acres of farmland @ sokoto village Iseyin -ibadan expressway Iseyin. 65k per acre

Call/whatsapp 08117928126
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 8:54am On Dec 10, 2016
Arvinkris:
@Jethro I think d continental maxim F1 is an indeterminate variety? Is it suitable for open field? Wat is ur opinion of Danny n master variety if u ve tried it. How do i get the maxim f1 n how many gram can cover an hectare?
Thanks in anticipation

Believe me I have never been bothered about determinate and indeterminate classification.
Yes Maxim is suitable for both open field and greenhouse.

Danny and Master are very good. I have use them before. Master fruits very well. .

call this no 08057668999.

50g is required for an acre
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Arvinkris(m): 10:59am On Dec 19, 2016
Although you didn't tell us the number of baskets harvested from ur trial. It will be of help. Though the maxim f1 is very expensive but I want to give it a try on a plot. Look forward to more inspirational update.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by iyaayi(f): 8:18am On Dec 21, 2016
good morning good people of the forum. kudos to madam jethro & all other contributors. As an aspiring locally made greenhouse tomato farmer based in ilorin, i have learned a lot from this thread & i believe am good to go on a modest trial farm.
pls I will be calling for help from the good people of the forum as I face my challenges while going along.
my brother, of Doligeria Biosystems is an agricultural engineer who will help build my greenhouse.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 6:11am On Dec 22, 2016
Good morning
Every participants need to undergo a minimum practical training of 3 months.

The training period is the assessment period for participants. Our clients have standard requirements for farm managers.
And that's why the training is compulsory for all intending farm managers.
Participants will be Sent out to their respective working place after the training

During the training participants feed themselves and transport themselves to farm on daily basis.

Participatory fee is N25,000. Accommodation will be provided for participants

Location is
Farm Villa Resource Centre
Ago Amodu
Saki East LGA of Oyo State

For more details
Contact 08064688501
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 6:14am On Dec 22, 2016
iyaayi:
good morning good people of the forum. kudos to madam jethro & all other contributors. As an aspiring locally made greenhouse tomato farmer based in ilorin, i have learned a lot from this thread & i believe am good to go on a modest trial farm.
pls I will be calling for help from the good people of the forum as I face my challenges while going along.
my brother, of Doligeria Biosystems is an agricultural engineer who will help build my greenhouse.

Planning to start a farm without any prior practical knowledge is tantarmount to planning to lose from the beginning.

I will suggest you spare time and few change to go and learn the basics before committing your fund so as to prevent story that touches

My one cent

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 7:06am On Dec 22, 2016
Farm Managers Vacancy:
The main reason we put up the 3 month farm managerial training is to ::

1. Train Farm Managers
2. Access their performance and build on it
And the expectation is that by the end of the training::

Participants can either
1. Start up his own farm with no or little technical assistance

2. We offer jobs to interested participants.

Yes. The jobs vacancy are plenty.
But we can only offer those that has been trained.
Those that actually pass the test.

The 3 months is a test period.
Most people looking for Farm Managers work don't have what it takes to be the farm manager.
Farming is a field activities. You don't even have an office. Come rain, come sun, you have to be there.
Putting you through the rigorous task is getting you prepared for the task ahead.
So if you think you are up to the task.

Prepare to join us for the January batch.
And that's why we made it so cheap.
N25,000 to participate for 3 month.
You don't have an excuse to be unemployed.
The jobs are waiting
Get in touch
Call 08064688501, 08188540096

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 5:58am On Feb 08, 2017
For our ongoing training
2 participants were sponsored by a good Samaritan.
And the trainee so far has been performing wonderfully.
Now another one from us.
If you are up to the task.
We have job offer for you
That will be determine by our assessment of you.
Mandatory 3 months training
Mon - Sat
Our clients want to sponsor 4 people for the upcoming training.
Those that will work with their agribusiness organisation after the training
Yes. The job is waiting
But we need to see you at work
We want to know you will not mess us up
We want to be sure you can represent us
We want to see your passion for agric
Get in touch if you know you are up to the task.
We will put you through rigorous farm activities.
Yes. That's what we do
That's why they trust us.
The no is 08064688501
Or send a mail to adesola_yinka@yahoo.com

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Idango(m): 1:32pm On Feb 15, 2017
I have gone through all these and i can say i am blessed. Thanks Jehro.

I am based in Owerri and will like to set up a green house or nethouse of up to a Hectare.

I was wondering why farmers from the east are not talking. The prices of tomatoes are most costly in Owerri, portharcourt , Enugu etc.

How can i get up to two hectares for tomato farming arround owerri?

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Cocoboms(m): 6:55pm On Feb 15, 2017
Please house, does anyone know where I can buy big beef f1 hybrid tomato seeds from in Nigeria? (solo xam on NL doesn't have in stock).

madam Jethro2, kindly assist....thanks

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by iyaayi(f): 9:23am On Feb 18, 2017
please house, what is happening to my tomato plants? I observed nematodes when d plants were dying soon after transplant. they were treated with carbofuran. now this. Will appreciate kind advice pls. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 3:06pm On Feb 18, 2017
iyaayi:
please house, what is happening to my tomato plants? I observed nematodes when d plants were dying soon after transplant. they were treated with carbofuran. now this. Will appreciate kind advice pls. Thank you

Most tomato diseases are incurable. once infected it has no remedy.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Etesam(m): 9:03pm On Feb 18, 2017
jethro2:
I will start from question 2 first. Keeping question 1 till later date.
Is it possible to make N10,000,000 from an hectare of tomato?

From calculation
An hectare of tomato should yield minimum of 20tonnes from an hectare.
40 hectares has been achieved in Benin Republic.
Dangote proposed tomato factory recently announced planting a variety that will yield 100 tonnes from the same hectare
You mean 40 tonnes, not 40 hectares

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by anonimi: 4:56am On Feb 20, 2017
iyaayi:

Have you checked with the National Horticulture Research Institute, Ibadan (NIHORT)?
They have a mandate for tomatoes in our country.
They should have answers for you.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2851343_screenshot201509122155001_jpegbfa7784d893218beec7bbaa410aae3d9

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855735_twooptionswallpaper10579600_jpeg618d634ba6258d93161d282181afdc68

1 Like

Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Healthilyea: 4:51am On Mar 06, 2017
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Silvereze(m): 12:27pm On Mar 09, 2017
Hi Jethro, I appreciate your work here.
Please I want to ask if you have an idea about kapro f1 variety of tomato seeds
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by jethro2: 4:57pm On Mar 09, 2017
Silvereze:
Hi Jethro, I appreciate your work here.
Please I want to ask if you have an idea about kapro f1 variety of tomato seeds

No. just hearing it for the first time
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Silvereze(m): 12:32am On Mar 10, 2017
jethro2:

No. just hearing it for the first time

Which variety do you plant?
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by MATTHEW59: 4:43am On Mar 11, 2017
Read from the very 1st page to page 29. Madam Jethro u re 2 much. More power 2 ur elbow. God bless
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by Idango(m): 9:45am On Mar 21, 2017
Hi Jethro,
How many tonnes of tomatoes do you think is practically possible on an acre of land in an open field ?
I am gathering facts to start a farm, have not started yet.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by bassman2017: 3:30am On Mar 27, 2017
jethro2:

Believe me I have never been bothered about determinate and indeterminate classification.
Yes Maxim is suitable for both open field and greenhouse.

Danny and Master are very good. I have use them before. Master fruits very well. .

call this no 08057668999.

50g is required for an acre

Hello, Jethro2, I am really impressed with your thread, you are doing a wonderful job. I have a few questions

1. Is it advisable to cultivate tomatoes in ogbomoso around april (wet season) while hoping to rely only on rain for water source

2. I have about N400k to invest in the cultivation of 3arces of land for tomatoes however, I know that it is beneficial to provide irrigation for tomatoes, but I cannot raise the funds required to provide irrigation? What do you advise.

Thank you

I already bought 200g of Roma VF Technisem seeds from agritropic and I have begun land preparation

NB:this is my first comment on your thread.
Re: Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures by CharlesAA: 9:06am On Mar 27, 2017
jethro2:

Good morning
Every participants need to undergo a minimum practical training of 3 months.

The training period is the assessment period for participants. Our clients have standard requirements for farm managers.
And that's why the training is compulsory for all intending farm managers.
Participants will be Sent out to their respective working place after the training

During the training participants feed themselves and transport themselves to farm on daily basis.

Participatory fee is N25,000. Accommodation will be provided for participants

Location is
Farm Villa Resource Centre
Ago Amodu
Saki East LGA of Oyo State

For more details
Contact 08064688501

Hi,

is this training still on?

Can I send someone for this.

when can we send someone along?

kindly revert ASAP.

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (39) (Reply)

Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Updated Price Of Grains And Location. / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures*

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.