Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA (34756 Views)

Yakubu Dogara "Jonathan's Choices Caused Nigeria's Current Economic Realities" / FG Approves N86.50k As Petrol Pump Price / See What The Current Petrol/economic Condition In Nigeria Has Caused..hilarious (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by MRLANNISTER(m): 7:06am On Jan 20, 2015
nwanna89:
Minimum wage in USA is not 18,000 naira per month

May God bless your generations to come. These i.mbeciles think we don't have brains. They compare us to the US when they feel like. When it's not convenient they say "this is Nigeria"

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by poiZon: 7:07am On Jan 20, 2015
bishopclin:
I saw various posts on the social media, criticising federal government's reduction of gasoline(PMS or Petrol) pump price from N97 to N87. More worrisome is the fact that some of our youths join the bandwagon in the criticism.

I wonder why we have some youths of our country who can not make use of their brains to ponder on issues that would further enrich the country. Present day youths are being tossed around by the older ones and sometimes, by illiterates. ‎

Drivers paid an average of $2.2021 a gallon for regular gasoline at U.S. pumps of recent in the US (do some ‎confirmation) 1US gallon = 3.7854ltrs‎ ‎$2.2021 = N398.58 (@ exchange rate of N181/$) Therefore, 1gallon = N398.58 ÷ ‎3.7854ltrs = N105.29/ltr in the US

Meanwhile, in Nigeria, after taking into consideration, landing costs and other expenses, it is N85/ltr for the same litre of gasoline yet people are ignorantly ranting on social media and elsewhere. Between Nigeria and the US, which is better? What has happened to some present day youths in my dear country, Nigeria‎? Mr. President, Goodluck Jonathan has indeed shown that he has the interest of Nigerians at heart.‎

i waas expecting people esp d paid protesters to protest n occupy tbs just like what happened 2yrs ago. But sha some nigerians dont really knw what they want.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by SirAweezy(m): 7:08am On Jan 20, 2015
OP, I hope you didn't school in france?....
Even a jss1 student can't come up with this Epileptic analysis... I'm "shaming" for you lol

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by PerfumeRepublik: 7:08am On Jan 20, 2015
psucc:
I disagree with the price drop to N65/ltr.

My opinion is that government should break the monopoly created by the few importers of these products, then allow the sector to be regulated by market forces. That I mean even if petroleum products would be sold in the open market like palm oil, better.

Our problems is this cycle of monopoly.
Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by tonychristopher: 7:11am On Jan 20, 2015
I noticed that gat most youths supporting buhari are sadist never do well that criticise and I call them bunch of Ingrates and pessimist

I gave up on them around 1522 BC before the amalgamated regions in Nigeria

My crystal ball told me that

So I am not perturbed

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by tonychristopher: 7:12am On Jan 20, 2015
poiZon:

i waas expecting people esp d paid protesters to protest n occupy tbs just like what happened 2yrs ago. But sha some nigerians dont really knw what they want.

They are bunch of confused lots
Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by tonychristopher: 7:14am On Jan 20, 2015
[quote author=Curvinus post=29952084][/quote]

You basically said nothing but ranting

In a nutshell what are you saying
Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by ormios234: 7:15am On Jan 20, 2015
Nigeria produces more oil than the US. Nigeria has far less population than the US. What benefit does the ordinary man get from this? The gas needed for power and energy is burnt in flaring and continues burning. Very painful is the fact that a certain amount (not made public) of crude is given to the state corporation to refine. Refineries are not working but the crude is not seen. The petrol is not seen as well as it's bi products. This is a country that will sell its food when it is hungry. We sell our crude and import fuel (ridiculous and stupid). Instead of constructing standard roads with channels and pipes to every home for gas, we chose to flare it. We live a ridiculous life style here and we are very happy to dance for those (politicians) who keep us in bondage.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by Greatken007(m): 7:16am On Jan 20, 2015
MY OPINION IS THIS EVEN IF GEJ DECIDED TO REDUCED IT TO ZERO NAIRA HATERS WIL STILL COMPLAIN, D SEPERATION OF POWER THING IS OUR MAJOR PROBLEM, WHAT IS STOPPING THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY FROM PASSING THE PETROLEUM INDUSTRY BILL?I THINK IS BECAUSE THEY WILL BE THE MOST HIT SINCE THEY ARE ALL MAJOR PLAYERS...OP FREQUENTLY USE THE WORD GASOLINE WHICH FOR ME IS DIFFERENT FROM PMS(PREMIUM MOTOR SPIRIT),AGO(AUTOMATED GASOLINE OIL)...ANYWAY FOR ME HIS POINT IS VALID, WHO INCREASED THE MINIMUM WAGE?IS IT NT THESAME GEJ.KUDOS SHOULD BE GIVEN TO WHO IS DUE

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by tonychristopher: 7:16am On Jan 20, 2015
beckleyhans:
Pls ooo is america an oil produceng country. must nigeria be like other countries. And must be during election he remove 10 naria. Who ever wrote dis dis tin get brain damage

This is the height of stupidity

.USA is an oil producing country and one of the biggest

What do you think chevron is doing in Alaska ..maybe they are skiing

What do you think they are doing in Texas maybe they are hunting coyotes

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by kingjosephat(m): 7:17am On Jan 20, 2015
@ Op, Nigeria and U.S are incomparable, you can just conclude like that, the 3.7854ltrs in U.S is like 5ltrs in Nigeria. Pump use to sell fuel in Nigeria have been tampered with.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by DaBullIT(m): 7:18am On Jan 20, 2015
herald9:

What's so hard in dropping that Gaddam thing to N65...

For Pete's sake oil is 'made in Nigeria ' undecided

And its the only good thing Nigeria has to offer the world , made in Nigeria indeed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by calexix(f): 7:19am On Jan 20, 2015
saintkash:
a friend wrote this and he considered other factors unlike u
Sina Solaru
Price per barrel of crude oil a year ago
[January, 2014] was $97.92/barrel
worldwide. It is now $46.97/barrel.... Gas/
petrol was $3.28/gallon a year ago in the
U.S. It is now $1.89/gallon because of
demand & supply that controls the price. I
just bought a gallon of petrol/gas from
Costco at $1.89 cents/gallon today and since
1 gallon equals 3.78 liters, that equals to 50
cents per liter here in the U.S. That is
#92.50kobo per liter @ the exchange rate of
$1= #185naira ..... Per Capita Income in the
U.S. is $53,042 while per capita income in
Nigeria is $3,006 source: World Bank. That
means Nigeria is currently[until the so called
midnight] paying more at #97/liter than in
the U.S. at #92.50/liter. Nigerians should be
paying #5.24kobo per liter based on the per
capita income differential. Otherwise, the
result is still ABJECT POVERTY! Hit 'Like' if
you are not better off than you were 4 years
ago.

You re not realistic

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by Keegan: 7:19am On Jan 20, 2015
DrDre1:
@ OP
This comparison won't work on so many levels. Consider certain things 'peculiar' to Nigeria mostly because of the level of rot in the system.

1. Is quality of gasoline in Nigeria the same with what they get in the U.S? No

2. What's the earning power of an average individual in each country?

3. What's the level of development in each country? Don't forget that almost every family is it's own 'local government' in Nigeria. U practically have to produce your own water and electricity amongst other things.

4. Is the level of infrastructure in the oil and gas sector commensurate with the level of resources available in Nigeria?

5. Are Nigerians getting the best out of a liter of gasoline like the Americans? Not with the level of older engines running in the country and the substandard quality of fuel definitely.

6. Is the current level of oil production in the U.S sustainable over a long period of time? I doubt it. Shale oil / fracturing is one of the major reasons why certain OPEC member-states (chiefly KSA and Qatar) have allowed the free fall of crude oil prices to continue unchecked. When you consider these two countries are also strong allies of the U.S, you see it's quite a complex situation. Just this past week, John McCain led a delegation to Qatar to discuss certain issues with the Emir and Prime Minister. I bet the politics of crude oil pricing was part of their major talks.

These are just some of the things to consider (amongst many others) before you 'celebrate' the reduction in fuel prices in Nigeria. If our leaders are honest, there's no reason why Nigerians should be paying above 50 naira per liter worst case scenario. Factor in the timing of the Nigerian government in doing this and it's very obvious it shouldn't be considered as a genuine decision. They devalued the Naira and then reduce fuel pump price by 10 naira days to major elections. Nigerians should brace up for serious economic challenges this year because the government is just window-dressing a very terrible wound. Irrespective of whoever wins the coming elections, the Naira is still heading downwards. Figures alone don't always tell the true story of things.

Well said, thanks.
Imagine! [/b] "Don't forget that almost every family is its own 'local government' in Nigeria." [b]
Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by verygudbadguy(m): 7:19am On Jan 20, 2015
[quote author=eaglechild post=29952671]
Did you clamour for a price increase when the price of oil skyrocketed?[/quote/]

No, I did'nt. The reason is, for every increase in price of fuel per barrel, there has to be corresponding increase in the income of d people.

Fuel is a determinant commodity in Nigeria economy. We buy Petrol for Generators and Cars, Kerosene for Stoves.

The President should think more about the standard of living of his people.

Nigeria is 5th in crude oil production. Was d increase in the price of crude oil then not meant to be at our advantage?
Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by Baronadj: 7:20am On Jan 20, 2015
bishopclin:
I saw various posts on the social media, criticising federal government's reduction of gasoline(PMS or Petrol) pump price from N97 to N87. More worrisome is the fact that some of our youths join the bandwagon in the criticism.

I wonder why we have some youths of our country who can not make use of their brains to ponder on issues that would further enrich the country. Present day youths are being tossed around by the older ones and sometimes, by illiterates. ‎

Drivers paid an average of $2.2021 a gallon for regular gasoline at U.S. pumps of recent in the US (do some ‎confirmation) 1US gallon = 3.7854ltrs‎ ‎$2.2021 = N398.58 (@ exchange rate of N181/$) Therefore, 1gallon = N398.58 ÷ ‎3.7854ltrs = N105.29/ltr in the US

Meanwhile, in Nigeria, after taking into consideration, landing costs and other expenses, it is N85/ltr for the same litre of gasoline yet people are ignorantly ranting on social media and elsewhere. Between Nigeria and the US, which is better? What has happened to some present day youths in my dear country, Nigeria‎? Mr. President, Goodluck Jonathan has indeed shown that he has the interest of Nigerians at heart.‎

Americans don't buy Petrol for Generators. Majority of those buying petrol buy them for generators and mostly the poor. Isn't it fair to consider them? The PDP isn't necessarily a considerate government.
Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by dustydee: 7:21am On Jan 20, 2015
bishopclin:

True.Next time use yours and compare like for like before jumping to conclusions.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by Franky9584(m): 7:23am On Jan 20, 2015
#10 deduction, nice step in d right direction no doubt but y now? . . .election inview abi campaign strategies?
GEJ TILL 2019

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by AdeniyiA(m): 7:24am On Jan 20, 2015
Anyone who compares Nigeria to America is a m0ron. angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by Relixy2k: 7:25am On Jan 20, 2015
bishopclin:
minimum wage in the USA is basically done hourly. It is an average of $8/hour. Meanwhile, it is pertinent to note that it all depends on how much time one can put in a month and the availability of the job
You explained that the Nigerian pump price is better than the American pump price. You said the US minimum wage is $8 per hour which is never a minimum wage here but a dream job offer that kind of wage here in Nigeria. Please kindly explain how our pump price is better if so many decent jobs even pay Nigerian graduates far less than the minimum wage in the US?
Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by holluwai(m): 7:27am On Jan 20, 2015
Sorry but in essence what are you saying sir?

CHRISTALLITE:

Dollar increases in value not only to naira but also in kinda similar or rather close to Euro€;
Definitely since there is increase in Dollar value;the price of World petrol would automatically fall but could remain constant or higher compare to some currency of which naira is!

D question to be asked is how creative has our government been to reduce the pump price by#10?
It should have risen higher since Dollar is now more expensive to naira!

However;I wonder why most people claims its all propangada;if called so?Be it!Its all improvement!

Meanwhile,I need ask why most people seems to the word cluelessness as an everyday song on no ground!Prove it wrong by highlighting areas of cluelessness of d present government!

And hesistate not to account for just 40% probability of ur harden sentimental acclaim opposition to fix the economy fairer!

Am tired of coming here everyday and seeing people just shouting change without feasibility view of how it could have been better!

Imagine someone shouting the price should have been #15!Is only Fuel Usage d sector of infracture or advancement?More amenities need be provide!
Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by Nobody: 7:27am On Jan 20, 2015
dre11:

U said 8 dollar per hour
And the minimum wage here is18000

Juxtapose the earnings and tell me which one is expensive

When the OP guy was wrting those lines, h didn't know that there are some of us in this house that used all our life to study maths and statistics. If he's so sentimental then I will give you a break down. He said $8 per hour. So in a day, if you work 8.00 to 4.00pm, you would have done 8 hrs. Now multiplying 8hrs by 21 working days in a month, that will amount to 168hrs. Multiply 168 by $8 which will give you $1344. Now multiply that by 181 your answer will be N243,284 So is your own minimum wage in Nigeria up to that. Pls When you come here to post things, do your maths very well and know that there are thousands of brains in this house pls.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by calexix(f): 7:29am On Jan 20, 2015
CHRISTALLITE:

Dollar increases in value not only to naira but also in kinda similar or rather close to Euro€;
Definitely since there is increase in Dollar value;the price of World petrol would automatically fall but could remain constant or higher compare to some currency of which naira is!

D question to be asked is how creative has our government been to reduce the pump
price by#10?
It should have risen higher since Dollar is now more expensive to naira!

However;I wonder why most people claims its all propangada;if called so?Be it!Its all improvement!

Meanwhile,I need ask why most people seems to the word cluelessness as an everyday song on no ground!Prove it wrong by highlighting areas of cluelessness of d present government!

And hesistate not to account for just 40% probability of ur harden sentimental acclaim opposition to fix the economy fairer!

Am tired of coming here everyday and seeing people just shouting change without feasibility view of how it could have been better!

Imagine someone shouting the price should have been #15!Is only Fuel Usage d sector of infracture or advancement?More amenities need be provide!

Truth is some Nigerians don't know the truth,even if it Hits them on the face..I pray buhari is the change you people need,those chanting buhari
Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by Diligence: 7:30am On Jan 20, 2015
From Yinka Odumakin:

Nigeria is a nation that is founded on the foundation of lies.
Foundation of lies? Why do you say that?
It is because we pretend a lot. If we have a patriotic political class, what Pastor Bakare is saying is what we should have done. All these fight that is going on now, there are two major issues at stake. One, all the oil blocs are due for renewal this year. Whoever gets power will be the one to allocate the oil blocs and will determine the economy of this country for the next 32 years. Two, census is due for next year 2016. Those who are in charge of census now are talking about the fact that they are going to do digital survey, they are going to use the best technology that will give the actual result throughout the country. There are people who have held this country to ransom over the years on the basis of false population census because everything in this country is tied around population and the rest. These two things, census and allocation of oil blocs has made the election a do or die affair In the midst of ‘We want our power back’ from the North and ‘We must have our full term’ by the South. I was a delegate at the National Conference. When you look at 2009 to 2012, in those four years, the revenue accruing to the Federation Account of this country, average of 68 per cent of the total comes from the South South, 23 per cent from the South-West, and seven per cent from South East. North Central zero per cent, North East 0.0 per cent, North 0.00 per cent. Now when it now comes to distribution; local government funds alone, the three northern zones that put in zero per cent to the federal allocation take 54 per cent, the three zones that put in 100 per cent take 46 per cent.
And what are the statistics they use in sharing? Population. That is why when we get to the Conference, some northern delegates were talking about 80-20 sharing formula. They even used it to design their agbada. The whole question is: If you go to election in the midst of all these, you know what you are going for and that is the danger that Pastor Bakare is warning about.
But some people have also accused Pastor Bakare of clamouring for Jonathan’s continued stay in office, through his speech…
(…Cuts in) It is surprising that the APC said he is working for tenure elongation for Jonathan. When he gave the address the other day, about six pages was used to criticise the Jonathan administration. He even accused the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN) of bias for saying Nigerians should pray against APC. If APC should come into power in this country, people should kiss freedom of speech bye, because, they take delight in criticising people. But anything against them, they will muzzle the press and do all sorts of vile things.

Indeed, people will always perish because of ignorance or crass stupidity...

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by retsonbiz(m): 7:31am On Jan 20, 2015
bishopclin:

This piece is flawed, unintelligent and misleading. I only need to ask four questions to debunk and floor this writeup;

What is the percentage drop in the price of gasoline in the US?

What is the average minimum wage monthly in the US?

What is Purchasing Power index, The Poverty Index, GDP & Consumers Confidence index of both Countries comparatively?

What has been the reaction by both government to the drastic fall in the price of Oil?

If you answer questions correctly, you will wonder how you posted this topic without research.

This change in price in Nigeria is a loosing electoral strategy in any US election. Midterm or Presidential.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by Dragonking: 7:38am On Jan 20, 2015
DONOCSO:
As I read the title, wetin commot for my mind na thunder fire you! Thank God say I no talk am.

In fact, I wanted to say make God punish the OP..how on earth can someone compare the standard of living in Nigeria to that of the USA..the op needs a brain transplant asap.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by donhils: 7:38am On Jan 20, 2015
bishopclin:

Your opinion on this issue is laughable. You can't compare the prices exactly as u did. $2 being equal to N360 doesn't mean they are worth the same. In other words, $2 in the US is not as big as N360 in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by eaglechild: 7:46am On Jan 20, 2015
Did you clamour for a price increase when the price of oil skyrocketed?[/quote/]

No, I did'nt. The reason is, for every increase in price of fuel per barrel, there has to be corresponding increase in the income of d people.

Fuel is a determinant commodity in Nigeria economy. We buy Petrol for Generators and Cars, Kerosene for Stoves.

The President should think more about the standard of living of his people.

Nigeria is 5th in crude oil production. Was d increase in the price of crude oil then not meant to be at our advantage? @verygudbadguy

Using your theory does a decrease in price not correspond to a decrease in "income" of the government?

Is the decrease in oil price not to our disadvantage? Since it our major revenue earner the government has less money to spend.

What you should be asdking for is full deregulation which the government has been advocating and the masses have been rejecting.

With that the prices will correspond to international prices.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by loswhite(m): 7:46am On Jan 20, 2015
bishopclin:

pls tell us how much they were selling before the price of crude oil crash and compare it to the present day price,then give us the percentage reduction. The painful part is you will count ur self among intelligent youth in the country....otondo

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by sammhi(m): 7:50am On Jan 20, 2015
saintkash:
a friend wrote this and he considered other factors unlike u
Sina Solaru
Price per barrel of crude oil a year ago
[January, 2014] was $97.92/barrel
worldwide. It is now $46.97/barrel.... Gas/
petrol was $3.28/gallon a year ago in the
U.S. It is now $1.89/gallon because of
demand & supply that controls the price. I
just bought a gallon of petrol/gas from
Costco at $1.89 cents/gallon today and since
1 gallon equals 3.78 liters, that equals to 50
cents per liter here in the U.S. That is
#92.50kobo per liter @ the exchange rate of
$1= #185naira ..... Per Capita Income in the
U.S. is $53,042 while per capita income in
Nigeria is $3,006 source: World Bank. That
means Nigeria is currently[until the so called
midnight] paying more at #97/liter than in
the U.S. at #92.50/liter. Nigerians should be
paying #5.24kobo per liter based on the per
capita income differential. Otherwise, the
result is still ABJECT POVERTY! Hit 'Like' if
you are not better off than you were 4 years
ago.

whoever wrote this did not go to school....so price of goods or a comodity is determined by per capita income and not on cost of production....?.you must be a genius...
also what is the annual US budget ...? nigeria annual budget is less than the US defence budget.......please dont let hatred blind your reasoning......or are you fasola the gov of lagos.....u reason like him...
Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by fanex: 7:52am On Jan 20, 2015
you forgot one important factor in this your calculation. cost of fueling our generators. i suggest you include that in your equation.
bishopclin:

Re: Nigeria's Current Petrol Pump Price Better Than That Of The USA by 9icetoo(m): 7:54am On Jan 20, 2015
herald9:

What's so hard in dropping that Gaddam thing to N65...

For Pete's sake oil is 'made in Nigeria ' undecided
Premium motor spirit is not. Use your brain for once. Thank me later

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

INEC Office In Akwa Ibom Burnt Hours Before Governorship And Assembly Election / Atiku To Oyegun: You Can’t Break Rules Without Creating Problems / Burial Of Musa Mante Baraze: Lawmaker Killed By Gunmen In Bauchi Buried (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.