Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,049 members, 7,821,611 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. (9541 Views)

***nigerian Culture To Answer A Question With Another Question?*** / What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? / Questions About Nigerian Culture And Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by earTHMama: 10:24pm On Dec 21, 2008
What aspect of Nigerian culture do you love most? Can you name the culture whether it's in your tribe or not?. The food, festivals, attire, dialect, accent etc.
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 21, 2008
Love the yoruba language kiss
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by Nobody: 1:54am On Dec 22, 2008
The ileke idi. . . .I love those kiss kiss grin cheesy grin
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by minute(f): 6:32am On Dec 22, 2008
Orisha popo

Odun Ifa

Egungun

Beere

Oke Ibadan

Sango

Ogun

Yemoja

Osun

Oro

Orisha Nla and so on. Most these festivals are celebrated in Ibadan and Ogbomosho all in Oyo state.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by SeaGoddes(f): 6:49am On Dec 22, 2008
i love the igbo culture, in languages i specially like the anambra language
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by damiso(f): 2:18pm On Dec 22, 2008
respect for elders.living in this country has really made me cherish that part of our culture.(and i mean respect not fear of elders as fearing elders is different from respecting them).the kids in this country are so rude and ill mannered.
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by iice(f): 3:44pm On Dec 22, 2008
damiso:

respect for elders.living in this country has really made me cherish that part of our culture.(and i mean respect not fear of elders as fearing elders is different from respecting them).the kids in this country are so rude and ill mannered.

True!
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by toshmann(m): 5:26pm On Dec 22, 2008
i cherish our sunday morning culture it was always a delight on sunday mornings to watch christains rushing to church . .
those lovely nigerian girls in their traditional attire waving their heavy backsides
lovely choir dressing of various church choirs
lovely music from the pentecostal churches . . .free of charge
brightly colored church/volunteer traffick wardens

etc, i loved sunday mornings
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by earTHMama: 5:35pm On Dec 22, 2008
i cherish our sunday morning culture it was always a delight on sunday mornings to watch christains rushing to church . .
those lovely nigerian girls in their traditional attire waving their heavy backsides
lovely choir dressing of various church choirs
lovely music from the pentecostal churches . . .free of charge
brightly colored church/volunteer traffick wardens

etc, i loved sunday mornings
Oh, thats so sweet. Amazing grace how sweet the song, hmn hmn hmn hmn,
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by earTHMama: 5:35pm On Dec 22, 2008
I love argungu festival.
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by ifyalways(f): 6:10pm On Dec 22, 2008
The Igbo traditional marriage kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Binis traditional marriage,the beads and corals kiss kiss
Warri Okorojuju dance
Umuahia ekpe festival
Izuogu festivities and
Onitsha Ofala festival kiss
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by Hauwa1: 6:36pm On Dec 22, 2008
hausa marriage cry
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by earTHMama: 6:45pm On Dec 22, 2008
hausa marriage

I don't know what's lovely about 12 year old girls getting married. That is a very nasty culture and should be obliterated by every possible means.
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by KarmaMod(f): 6:46pm On Dec 22, 2008
I think they mean the beating of the husband, Funmi

Figured you'd love that wink
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by earTHMama: 6:59pm On Dec 22, 2008
I think they mean the beating of the husband, Funmi

Figured you'd love that
Ha ha grin grin grin grin I love it like hell. I wish it'll be adopted as a national culture. grin grin grin

I think it's a Tiv thing and not hausa. No hausa man can endure that pain.
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by Hauwa1: 7:03pm On Dec 22, 2008
how abt the old women doing the oriki (what do they call the thing with the tongue sef like a song) i forgot but i can do it with my tongue.

hausa wedding is fascinating to watch as long as it is not a little girl. i have seen a little girl's wedding. we were all there to sing and cheer her up. she was crying like crazy and they had to carry her with force. when they finally get her to the man's house, she was all covered only a few closed friends could see her. i was her friend too  angry i asked her to run away in little girl's mind but too late. so i went to the wedding. her gift plenty sha many zani, dankwali, jabaki, tero, powder, materials so much. interesting to watch and could make you cry.
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by AloyEmeka9: 7:06pm On Dec 22, 2008
I love mmanwu(masqurade). I also love igbo traditional marriage(igba nkwu nwanyi). Especially where the girls lock up the fiance and demand the money from the in laws to unlock the door so she can come and see her husband. Women can be mean in that area.
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by KarmaMod(f): 7:20pm On Dec 22, 2008
*Hauwa*:

how about the old women doing the oriki (what do they call the thing with the tongue sef like a song) i forgot but i can do it with my tongue.

I like that cheesy
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by Hauwa1: 7:26pm On Dec 22, 2008
lol

i guess that's the only fun part because you can't hear the wailing and crying grin only the old women tongues which overpower the little girls voice sad
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by AloyEmeka9: 7:29pm On Dec 22, 2008
Is stripping and lap dancing a Nigerian culture?
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by earTHMama: 10:27pm On Dec 22, 2008
hausa wedding is fascinating to watch as long as it is not a little girl.
The qualifier in bold is troubling. Finally, someone is accepting the truth. Praise God. undecided
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by Nobody: 10:29pm On Dec 22, 2008
hausa wedding is fascinating to watch as long as it is not a little girl.
abi o embarassed
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by tRoOE(f): 12:54am On Dec 23, 2008
The last time I check, we've got no Culture undecided
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by Hauwa1: 2:24am On Dec 23, 2008
Earthmama, we know the truth in nig. just that it is hard to accept. did you know that when some northern women give birth to a girl they do use egg to widen the kitten? i have seen it. i didn't say it o lipsrsealed
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by KarmaMod(f): 2:26am On Dec 23, 2008
*Hauwa*:

Earthmama, we know the truth in nig. just that it is hard to accept. did you know that when some northern women give birth to a girl they do use egg to widen the kitten? i have seen it. i didn't say it o lipsrsealed

The baby girl's kitten or the mother's? embarassed
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by 4Play(m): 2:28am On Dec 23, 2008
Heard about pulling a baby girl's nipples so she will grow big breasts as an adult? Not something I made up, heard this in Enugu a few years ago. . . .sounds like a pedo's dream excuse.
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by Hauwa1: 2:29am On Dec 23, 2008
the baby's.

a little rubbing movement. i heard then it helps to widen it. it is like women do to other parts of the body when a baby is born.
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by KarmaMod(f): 2:31am On Dec 23, 2008
so these "mothers" are aiding sexual child abuse so these men can rape them or what the hell is the reaosn for this
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by chiogo(f): 2:36am On Dec 23, 2008
tRoOE:

The last time I check, we've got no Culture undecided
Hahahahaha, lmfao!!

@topic, I'm still thinking.::. .::.
Oh yeah, I remember those days when we go home(village) and my siblings, cousins, and I would go to relatives' houses
and the adults would give us money as a form of celebrating christmas. dunno if that is a culture. embarassed But those were fun times!
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by Hauwa1: 2:42am On Dec 23, 2008
who knows that's why they feel the kid is no kid because kitten already widen by mama.
Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by bluespice(f): 3:14am On Dec 23, 2008
yoruba culture
not all of it tho
the speaking of the language,
i miss hearing people insult themselves in the most hilarious terms n yoruba grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. by Hauwa1: 3:26am On Dec 23, 2008
especially the market women you just got done bargaining with grin where you bring their ware from 1500 to 150 grin. as long as the abuse wasn't for you, it's so fun listening to them grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? / Africans Agree Somalis, And Ethiopians Best Looking Africans. / The Obsession With Ethiopians And Somalis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.