Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 (7361 Views)

December Holyghost Congress 2014 @RCCG (the Great Sherpherd) / Why Are Some Churches(christians) Praying Holyghost Fire On Their Enemies? / Rccg Holy Ghost Congress 2011 Tagged "A New Thing" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by OBVIOUS(m): 9:31pm On Dec 23, 2008
Good P. R. move.

Why can't Nigeria separate politics from religion.
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by SeunT2(m): 9:47pm On Dec 23, 2008
i wonder oooo my brother,
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by tolu10: 9:59pm On Dec 23, 2008
You know this is an emplary conduct my Gov Fashola.

For you to do this in politics without fear of being ostracized by people of the muslim religious group. This is admirable.

This is also a reflection of the New school of Reformers in Nigeria. Who believe that we are all one people Muslim, Christians, etc.

We are all memers of the human race first and foremost. And are all God's children.

So from religious stand point if the governor is not a religious bigot then his surbordinates. Who may be bigots are getting the message that this is not how to run an effective govt.

A
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by tolu10: 10:04pm On Dec 23, 2008
You know this is an emplary conduct my Gov Fashola.

For you to do this in politics without fear of being ostracized by people of the muslim religious group. This is admirable.

This is also a reflection of the New school of Reformers in Nigeria. Who believe that we are all one people Muslim, Christians, etc.

We are all memers of the human race first and foremost. And are all God's children.

So from ra eligious stand point if the governor is not a religious bigot then his surbordinates. Who may be bigots are getting the message that for you to run a state such as Lagos effectively in peace and harmony. Religious tolerance and respect for all people must be maintained.

This is a perfect example of top down leadership. It is a perfect example for the whole world to see.

Keep it up Governor. May God continue to give you the wisdom to rule and provide leadership by example.
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by busybein: 10:15pm On Dec 23, 2008
Jesus is Lord
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by BOSS7: 10:48pm On Dec 23, 2008
OBVIOUS:

Good P. R. move.

Why can't Nigeria separate politics from religion.

You sure know how much politics dictate the American democracy (as reflected during the quarterly election), I guess Fashola's trying to Americanise Nigeria's democracy, just maybe.
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by diasporian: 10:50pm On Dec 23, 2008
I remember in the year 2000, Olusegun Obasanjo and Stella Obasanjo of blessed memory came to worship at Canaan Land - Otta - we all cried, Nigeria is getting better, I dont know, eight years after that, I dont know if that can still be said.
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by bawomolo(m): 11:10pm On Dec 23, 2008
diasporian:

I remember in the year 2000, Olusegun Obasanjo and Stella Obasanjo of blessed memory came to worship at Canaan Land - Otta - we all cried, Nigeria is getting better, I don't know, eight years after that, I don't know if that can still be said.

hmm how does this correlate with fashola attending holyghost congress. two independent events.
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by diasporian: 11:11pm On Dec 23, 2008
bawomolo:

hmm how does this correlate with fashola attending holyghost congress. two independent events.

You probably dont or didnt do mathematics - the law of corelation, dumb ass.
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by OBVIOUS(m): 11:30pm On Dec 23, 2008
diasporian:

I remember in the year 2000, Olusegun Obasanjo and Stella Obasanjo of blessed memory came to worship at Canaan Land - Otta - we all cried, Nigeria is getting better, I don't know, eight years after that, I don't know if that can still be said.

They probably came to ask for forgiveness in advance for all the havoc that they will cause.  All of this rubbish of having thieving politicians in Nigerian mega corporation churches is just a fallacy and used to FOOL the poor masses who will proudly stay silent while their leaders rub them blind.
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by OBVIOUS(m): 11:31pm On Dec 23, 2008
Correlation is not causation people. grin grin grin
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by worldman(m): 11:57pm On Dec 23, 2008
what fashola did was wrong he is a born Muslim, i don't think any governor or senator who is a Christian can step there foot into the mosque for any reason
i think it's wrong
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by shawdon(m): 12:03am On Dec 24, 2008
I still don't believe that some people never blend for Naija meaning what Fela say in his true some Nigerian are still Mugu, SATAN HIMSELF DEY ATTEND CHURCH SO WHETHER FASHOLA DEY ATTEND CHURCH OR NOT IS MEANINLESS TO ME AND TO MEANINGFUL NAIJA LIKE ME,
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by DIronlady1(f): 12:13am On Dec 24, 2008
why all this fuss about this whole issue the guy was probably invited and he honoured it. must we always spin conspiracy thoeries and introduce topics that werent asked for? undecided
nawa oh!!!
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by JJYOU: 12:14am On Dec 24, 2008
Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers[b][/b]
Church planter Enoch Adeboye is included beside presidents as one of the world’s 50 most powerful people.

[12.22.08] One of the 50 most powerful people in the world is a Pentecostal preacher from Nigeria whose mission is to save souls.

So says Newsweek magazine in its Jan. 5 cover story, which includes Enoch Adeboye, general overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), in its list of 50 world powerbrokers.

Adeboye and Pope Benedict XVI are the only Christian leaders on the list, which features both revered and reviled influencers including President-elect Barack Obama, the Clintons, Oprah Winfrey, Chinese President Hu Jintao, al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“I certainly agree with Newsweek on this,” Pentecostal historian Vinson Synan told Charisma. “I have visited [Adeboye’s] campground and preached in one of his large churches in Lagos. In terms of masses of followers and influence in Nigeria, as well as other nations, he is a dominating person with tremendous power.”

RCCG, which Adeboye has led since 1981, has some 5 million members in 14,000 congregations in Nigeria alone and hundreds more across 110 nations. In 2006, the Lagos-based church movement built a US. headquarters in Texas, and has planted several hundred churches nationwide.

“In the developing world we say we want churches to be within five minutes’ walk of every person,” Adeboye told Newsweek. “In the developed world, we say five minutes of driving.”

A former math instructor at the University of Lagos, Adeboye began working at RCCG translating the pastor’s sermons from Yoruba to English. He now travels the world preaching at services that can last as long as 12 hours.

Each month in Lagos, RCCG hosts an all-night prayer meeting at its Redemption Campground that draws several hundred thousand people. Every December, several million people travel from around the world to attend RCCG’s annual Holy Ghost Congress. The most recent congress ended on Sunday.

“If I were to name the top 10 apostles in the whole world, Adeboye would have to be there on the top of the list,” said C. Peter Wagner, president of Global Harvest Ministries and leader of the International Coalition of Apostles. He is also the editor of Out of Africa, which chronicles the growth of the charismatic movement in Nigeria.

“I attended his all-night prayer meeting the first Friday of the month, and the leaders apologized to me for the low attendance,” Wagner said. “They had only 300,000 the whole night long. Usually they have 500,000.”

Synan noted that the prosperity gospel is a central message at RCCG and within other prominent Nigerian Pentecostal ministries.“In Africa, prosperity means generally having a roof over your head and food to eat,” Synan said, adding that the prosperity message is also used negatively by some to promote the idea that Christians must give financially in order to receive God’s blessings.

Adeboye has avoided accusations of financial misdeeds or faking supernatural power, which have plagued many ministries in the nation. Nigerian government leaders seek his input on social issues, Newsweek noted, and he recently made a public-service announcement condemning discrimination against people who are HIV-positive.

Newsweek called Pentecostalism “the biggest, fastest-growing Christian movement since the Reformation,” with some 600 adherents around the world.

In North America, the number of Pentecostals has grown from 19 million in 1970 to roughly 77 million today, Newsweek reported. According to the Center for the Study of Global Christianity at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, the numbers are even higher in Asia and Latin America, where Pentecostalism claims 166 million and 151 million followers respectively.

Grant Wacker, professor of Christian history at Duke University, estimates that by 2050 most of Africa will be Christian—and the majority of those converts will be Pentecostals.

“Pentecostals have such an impact because they talk of the here and now, not just the by and by,” Adeboye told Newsweek. “We pray for the sick, but we pray for their prosperity, for their overcoming of evil forces and so on. While we have to worry about heaven, there are some things God could do for us in the here and now.”

Although Adeboye is not as well known in the United States as he is in Nigeria, Wagner said he represents the new center of gravity for Christianity. “One of the things that excites me is that [Newsweek] had the wisdom to include a leader from the Global South because that is the focal point of growth and influence of the Christian church,” said Wagner, referring to Africa, Asia and Latin America.

“It’s absolutely necessary for us who have an older church that has not been on fire like it has in the past to look to the Global South and catch some of the fire that the Lord is setting there,” he added. “It is absolutely necessary.” –Adrienne S. Gaines
http://charismamag.com/cms/news/archives/1222082.php
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by lucabrasi(m): 1:42am On Dec 24, 2008
whateva fashola might be,what he has done is called religious tolerance,besides his wife is a practising christian so,
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by RichyBlacK(m): 1:59am On Dec 24, 2008
lucabrasi:

whateva fashola might be,what he has done is called religious tolerance,besides his wife is a practising christian so,

Agreed.

I wish more Muslims can be this tolerant!
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by Nimshi: 4:51am On Dec 24, 2008
Nice news if true.

Shouldn't be a big deal; but it is. Why? It sets another good example. Small things, small beginnings, baby steps by influential leaders could go a long way in enlightening the people, particularly, those who may be disillusioned by why a Muslim governor would nonour a Church invitation. When Fashola explains why he did, perhaps more than a few may learn a thing or two.
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by skyone(m): 7:35am On Dec 24, 2008
OK, oK if many on nairaland believes it's just a mere political scamming what about OLOWOH OF OWOH and the rest royals; please if good things are begining to roll to Nigeria let'S give thanks to God.

scaming or no scaming Fashola has done well, he can from there be convicted by the HOLY SPIIRT  angry
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by Nobody: 8:05am On Dec 24, 2008
Fashola is a model in this dark nation.
Wishing him all the best as Governor of Lagos.
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by papagiddy(m): 10:03am On Dec 24, 2008
i see no qwams with that. infact, it will do him alot of good. he wasnt the only one there,OGD was also seated by him. Even Tinubu was also a regular attendee of Holy Ghost congress/service. its a good omen!
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by damiso(f): 10:14am On Dec 24, 2008
papa giddy:

i see no qwams with that. infact, it will do him alot of good. he wasnt the only one there,OGD was also seated by him. Even Tinubu was also a regular attendee of Holy Ghost congress/service. its a good omen!

How I think Raji Fashola is indeed one of the best Governors Lagos has ever had but i still do not see the corelationship between him attending the holy ghost conference and his governace.He probably was invited as a dignitary and since Lagos is multicultural and multi religious,it would do him good from the PR angle to attend.I am sure if the Bamgbose masquerade festival had such a large turnout and he was invited,he would also attend.Attending holy ghost conference is not a determinant of soul redemption or an indicator that he will become a born again christian.Puleeeeese,Nigerians and mass euphoria.
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by spikedcylinder: 10:27am On Dec 24, 2008
In fairness, I think the man is a liberal. I mean, how many Muslims can get married to Catholics and still allow their wives actively practice her religion hindrance free? How many?
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by damiso(f): 10:39am On Dec 24, 2008
spikedcylinder:

In fairness, I think the man is a[b] liberal[/b]. I mean, how many Muslims can get married to Catholics and still allow their wives actively practice her religion hindrance free? How many?

That is the word i expected people to use in commending him not thinking or insinuating that because he attended a christian conference,he will become a better leader.We should commend his religious tolerance and not start thinking that he will become a born again christian and then in turn become a better leader.'Born Again' christian does not translate to 'better leader'.Alot of recent examples readily come to mind.
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by aus123(m): 11:31am On Dec 24, 2008
Whether we call him Muslim or not! He has shown he is a good leader.
God bless our Gov.
God bless Lagos State.
God Bless Nigeria.

Compliments of the season to all Nairalanders.
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by orisebawo(m): 11:58am On Dec 24, 2008
I think in his capacity as the Governor of lagos state Fashola should be able to fraternise with all religious sect, as it wasn't only muslims that voted for him,during Tinubu's time he also visited the Redeemed camp and that does not make him less a muslim.

That is the kind of spirit we need in Nigeria and the fact that he visited Redeem has got nothing to do with whether he will succeed or not but atleast it is a welcome development.

I am a christian and i think it is a lesson some of our christian leaders can learn from, I know how many pillars of a certain cathoilic church that Abiola donated money to during his time and that is the kind of trait we should expect from our leaders.

I await the day when a christian govenor will attend a muslim convention of such magnitude as the redeem camp.

Anything to prevent the sort of mayhem that happened in jos.
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by bayemibo: 12:36pm On Dec 24, 2008
i don't think that this is a bad idea at all. i feel the man is just an open minded person who mean good for the people of lagos.
He was also at Daystar programme recently where he spoke on leadership for over almost an hour. We actaully need a man like
this who will not discriminate or allow religious sentiments to affect his judgement.
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by Wumine(f): 2:10pm On Dec 24, 2008
What's the big deal? If he likes he should go to ogun shrine and worhip, it doesn't change who he is!
Long live FASHOLA!
Lagos will not scatter during his time!
God bless Nigeria!
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by yanyan(m): 2:29pm On Dec 24, 2008
Why Why Why?pls leave Fashola alone o.Coming to Holy ghost camp is to receive blessing to rule the most populus state.at least He was at the camp when he was contesting for governor even obanikoro was there too.so what the big deal.
The governor of taraba state was there with his wife and the speaker,they too are
human need wisdom,power and knowledge tto rule u people.
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by messiah(m): 5:55pm On Dec 24, 2008
Nigerian politicians can use anything to succeed in politics, even religion. It's pathetic. cry
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by Em2va: 6:41pm On Dec 24, 2008
Well, its just a fulfilment of what the word of God says, that; "if I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto me"
God is drawing all men to himself.
Re: GOV. Raji Fashola @ Holyghost Congress 08 by onyekapray: 6:51pm On Dec 24, 2008
To join issues with you, I pray that leaders become close to God. I only have the problem with the way and manner things go wrong and remain unattended to despite the claim that they are close to God.
Left for me, I wonder why OBJ in His time failed to attend or grace many programmes of the MFM for which he was invited. May God save us

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Could A Pastor Buy A Jet With Just Tithes / You Don't Need To Feel Guilty If You Experience These / "Would You Dare To Remove A Charm Placed On Your Doorstep?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.