Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,288 members, 7,811,863 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

''God Almighty Does Not Hear The Prayer Of A Jew'' - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / ''God Almighty Does Not Hear The Prayer Of A Jew'' (1467 Views)

What Do Foreigners Think When They Hear The Word ' Nigeria'? / The D.R Congo CNN Does Not Want You To See (pics) / Unbelievable But True. Ghaddafi Is A Jew! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

''God Almighty Does Not Hear The Prayer Of A Jew'' by 4Play(m): 12:53am On Dec 24, 2008
The Hitch is working himself into a frenzy over Obama's invitation to Rick ''The purpose driven life'' Warren to say prayers at the inauguration.

It is a fact that Rick Warren, pastor of the Saddleback Church in Orange County, Calif., was present at a meeting of the Aspen Institute not long ago and was asked by Lynda Resnick—she of the pomegranate-juice dynasty—if a Jew like herself could expect to be admitted to paradise. Warren publicly told her no. What choice did he have? His own theology says that only those who accept Jesus can hope to be saved.

A president may by all means use his office to gain re-election, to shore up his existing base, or to attract a new one. But the day of his inauguration is not one of the days on which he should be doing that. It is an event that belongs principally to the voters and to their descendants, who are called to see that a long tradition of peaceful transition is cheerfully upheld, even in those years when the outcome is disputed. I would myself say that it doesn't need a clerical invocation at all, since, to borrow Lincoln's observation about Gettysburg, it has already been consecrated. But if we must have an officiating priest, let it be some dignified old hypocrite with no factional allegiance and not a tree-shaking huckster and publicity seeker who believes that millions of his fellow citizens are hellbound because they do not meet his own low and vulgar standards.

The bolded part highlights the author's lack of appreciation of the reality that if Obama is a Christian, chances are that he subscribes to Warren's views on salvation. If not, he is a hypocrite and is no Christian.

http://www.slate.com/id/2207148/
Re: ''God Almighty Does Not Hear The Prayer Of A Jew'' by JJYOU: 12:56am On Dec 24, 2008
what is this?
Re: ''God Almighty Does Not Hear The Prayer Of A Jew'' by Hauwa1: 11:17am On Dec 24, 2008
it is so hard to please everyone. . . they hardly give the guy a breathing space. oh! Americans  undecided
if Obama didn't pick someone, they will say he is a musulumi and his first name is Huseni. aha! oh well. maybe he should go with an Imamu.
i'm glad with the choice of Pastor Buffet.
I don't really know the beef they have with Warren. . . who cares as long as i get my daily devotional from his purpose driven life.

he does not need a clerical? the author sef. imagine what would happen if Obama did not pick a cleric. they would have been saying he is  about to change the constitutionreal drama ahead. may God be with him.
Re: ''God Almighty Does Not Hear The Prayer Of A Jew'' by Bastage: 12:54pm On Dec 24, 2008
There is a difference between picking a cleric and picking a "controversial" cleric.
Obama got elected on a ticket that promised to unite Americans. Like it or not, Warren is a divisive figure and if the Obama team goes with him they have made a very poor political choice. The comment regarding Jews not going to Heaven is divisive. The fact that he may be right or wrong in his assumption is irrelevant - by getting himself involved in such controversy, Warren has become a burden to Obama on the political front.
Warren is a great figure for a lot of Christians but for the rest of the electorate, he's now an uncomfortable reminder that there is a risk of blurring the line between Church and state. It matters not what Obama believes and wether those beliefs are on a par with Warren's. A less controversial figure would be a much safer political pick.
Re: ''God Almighty Does Not Hear The Prayer Of A Jew'' by TayoD1(m): 6:25pm On Dec 24, 2008
@Bastage,

There is a difference between picking a cleric and picking a "controversial" cleric.
Obama got elected on a ticket that promised to unite Americans. Like it or not, Warren is a divisive figure and if the Obama team goes with him they have made a very poor political choice. The comment regarding Jews not going to Heaven is divisive. The fact that he may be right or wrong in his assumption is irrelevant - by getting himself involved in such controversy, Warren has become a burden to Obama on the political front.
Warren is a great figure for a lot of Christians but for the rest of the electorate, he's now an uncomfortable reminder that there is a risk of blurring the line between Church and state. It matters not what Obama believes and wether those beliefs are on a par with Warren's. A less controversial figure would be a much safer political pick.
The fact is there is no one that can be picked that would not be a burden. It is only a matter of those who feel agrieved making a big deal out of it as it is in this case. Would a gay marriage proponent be uncontroversial? If one had being chosen, we wouldn't have had this much furor becuase the evangelical right would probably not bother, but the minority who feel agrieved in this situation speak the loudest.

The problem with Warren is not so much about the issue of salvation, but about his stance on Proposition 8. So while this thread may have highlighted his views on salvation, the political fallout is basically with the gay group.
Re: ''God Almighty Does Not Hear The Prayer Of A Jew'' by Bastage: 7:39pm On Dec 24, 2008
Tayo-D.

Are you sure there's no-one out there who Obama could use who isn't a little bit more lower-key? Surely there is?

You know, I had a cynical thought. When I wrote my post, I saw the situation as being divisive. But is there the possibility that it's actually the opposite and that by the picking of a "conservative" minister, Obama might be trying to bring the Christian right wing electorate on board?

Politicians don't make a move without looking for political capital out of that move. Even with something like this. Do you see an ulterior motive?
Re: ''God Almighty Does Not Hear The Prayer Of A Jew'' by SeanT21(f): 8:45pm On Dec 24, 2008
I do not have a problem with Rick Warren speaking at the inauguration.

~~Its not Democrats vs Republicans,We are all in this together~~
Re: ''God Almighty Does Not Hear The Prayer Of A Jew'' by RichyBlacK(m): 11:52pm On Dec 24, 2008
Why the title ''God Almighty Does Not Hear The Prayer Of A Jew''?
Re: ''God Almighty Does Not Hear The Prayer Of A Jew'' by 4Play(m): 12:19am On Dec 25, 2008
RichyBlacK:

Why the title ''God Almighty Does Not Hear The Prayer Of A Jew''?

Because Warren subscribes to it and Hitch thinks that this ipso facto, among other things, renders him unworthy to say prayers at the inauguration.
Re: ''God Almighty Does Not Hear The Prayer Of A Jew'' by congoshine(m): 1:52pm On Dec 25, 2008
What Rick Waren infers is that Jews,Mulims Hindus etc can't get into the Christian Heaven.

Why do people have a problem with that?
Re: ''God Almighty Does Not Hear The Prayer Of A Jew'' by eldee(m): 11:10am On Dec 28, 2008
congoshine:

What Rick Waren infers is that Jews,Mulims Hindus etc can't get into the Christian Heaven.

Why do people have a problem with that?
Well said there . . .
Same way myself, Warren and Obama won't make it into Jannah
Or why can't the writer ask if he'll get seven virgins in muslim paradise??

That question was baseless . . . from a true Pharisee

(1) (Reply)

Levi Johnston Tells His Story / A Baby With Three Biological Parents: How Is It Possible? / Video Of Cameroon President’s Daughter Smoking Heavily Goes Viral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.