Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Why Don't Christians Practice This? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don't Christians Practice This? (1233 Views)

Shiite Members Celebrate Christmas With Christians In Kaduna (Photos) / FAMILY Planning:should Christians Practice It / Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Christians Practice This? by chuxyz(m): 10:28am On Jan 25, 2015
It has come to notice that Christians of our days don't practice the greeting with a holy kiss as instructed by Apostle Paul in the following book of the bible:
Romans 16:16
1 Thessalonians 5:26 and
2 Corinthians 13:12
which read thus: "Greet one another with a holy kiss..."

Now my question is "what is wrong if i see a christian sister and plant a kiss on her lips?"
Won't the whole congregation run after me with planks, rods and missile with the pastor and the sister's parents in the forefront?

Kissing i believe use to be a holy gesture for greeting or identifying a Christian brother.
I won't be surprise if some christian come up here to say such greeting was ended because Judas used it to betray Jesus.
I won't also be surprised if some others interpret the kissing as instituted in these verses to mean giving out gifts.

Because e no deh hard we Christians to turn bible upside-down.

Let me here from you guys.
Re: Why Don't Christians Practice This? by chemystery: 10:46am On Jan 25, 2015
Op, make we go open our own church
Re: Why Don't Christians Practice This? by Nobody: 10:55am On Jan 25, 2015
Did d prodigal son's father kiss his son on d lips? A holy kiss is dat typ of kiss dat u kiss on one's forehead.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Christians Practice This? by vooks: 11:04am On Jan 25, 2015
chuxyz
Don't get fits when half of the males in your church queue to kiss your mother on the lips and after that,they descend on your pregnant wife with little regard to order
Re: Why Don't Christians Practice This? by chuxyz(m): 11:15am On Jan 25, 2015
Cutehector4u:
Did d prodigal son's father kiss his son on d lips? A holy kiss is dat typ of kiss dat u kiss on one's forehead.
Where did the prodigal son's father kiss his son then? A holy kiss is done on the forehead? I wouldn't mind if you use bible verses to butress your points.

vooks:
chuxyz
Don't get fits when half of the males in your church queue to kiss your mother on the lips and after that,they descend on your pregnant wife with little regard to order
I don't think there is something there cos i believe such things happened during the time of Paul and it was a norm then? How sure are you that Paul himself didn't kiss someone else's wife or mother? The problem is that kissing has been taken to be something bad whether done on the forehead, lips, palms, or even blown
Re: Why Don't Christians Practice This? by Hiswordxray(m): 2:17pm On Jan 25, 2015
The Church then had a strong relationship. They were living a community life. Their church service was more like a meet where the family of God share their fellowship with God together and edify each other. Their gathering of money is done when a brother or sister need financial help. They donate money to help the poor among them and support others who need help.
They where a real family and a community of love.

But today things are different. Members in church are strangers to each other and it is difficult to kiss a total stranger.

The way we do church today is far different from the first century believers. We have gone astray from God eternal plan. God desire a family, a group of people who are united in love. But the church today have promote individuality. The church is structured in a way that members come as audience an spectators, each facing the back head of the other. We do not spend time to build a relationship and be a family for God. We only gather to watch some people performance and after that we go home.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Christians Practice This? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jan 25, 2015
A holy kiss, the Bible says.

Kissing anyone on the lips.......I don't see how that is 'holy' anymore. BTW, Judas you're referring to didn't kiss Jesus on the lips, but on the cheek.

I'd say this 'kiss' has to do with the warmth shared when the Christian brothers and sisters gather in service.
Re: Why Don't Christians Practice This? by vooks: 4:18pm On Jan 25, 2015
Well,
You don't know what a kiss entailed back then. If you don't mind 20 men choking you with saliva, Knock yourself out
chuxyz:

I don't think there is something there cos i believe such things happened during the time of Paul and it was a norm then? How sure are you that Paul himself didn't kiss someone else's wife or mother? The problem is that kissing has been taken to be something bad whether done on the forehead, lips, palms, or even blown
Re: Why Don't Christians Practice This? by chuxyz(m): 6:59pm On Jan 25, 2015
MzNelly:
A holy kiss, the Bible says.

Kissing anyone on the lips.......I don't see how that is 'holy' anymore. BTW, Judas you're referring to didn't kiss Jesus on the lips, but on the cheek.

I'd say this 'kiss' has to do with the warmth shared when the Christian brothers and sisters gather in service.
I saw this coming so i indicated it earlier in my first post grin . See as you take deh twist the bible.

I will also like you to quote the verse where it stated explicitly that Jesus was kissed on the cheek and also where it is stated that a kiss on the lips is unholy. Thanks
Re: Why Don't Christians Practice This? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jan 25, 2015
chuxyz:
I saw this coming so i indicated it earlier in my first post grin . See as you take deh twist the bible.

I will also like you to quote the verse where it stated explicitly that Jesus was kissed on the cheek and also where it is stated that a kiss on the lips is unholy. Thanks

A kiss on the lips is sexual or romantic , not exactly holy, per se.
If I were to kiss you on the lips every Sunday, won't your thoughts stray? Would your mind exactly be set on holy things?

Let's be realistic here, at the very least. The Bible condemns against all forms of homosexuality; so why on earth will the same Bible encourage a kiss on the lips by two grown males or females?
Re: Why Don't Christians Practice This? by chuxyz(m): 7:24pm On Jan 25, 2015
MzNelly:

A kiss on the lips is sexual or romantic , not exactly holy, per se.
If I were to kiss you on the lips every Sunday, won't your thoughts stray? Would your mind exactly be set on holy things?

Let's be realistic here, at the very least. The Bible condemns against all forms of homosexuality; so why on earth will the same Bible encourage a kiss on the lips by two grown males or females?
If you judge from that, kiss generally would be considered a sexual gesture. Be it on the lips, forehead, cheeks or what have you...

Even if i kiss a guy on the cheek or forehead today, i'll be termed gay. Meaning none is holy. I think i go with what Hiswordxray said cos it's more logical or what do you think?

(1) (Reply)

The Rhema Blog Is Celebrating 10 Years Of Online Ministry / Love, Lust, Sex In Marriage / False Gospel Of Prosperity By Sadhu Sundar Selveraj

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.