Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,093 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU (32400 Views)

LAUTECH Students Post Obituary Of Their VC, Prof. Sulaiman Gbadegesin (Photo) / LASU VC, Fagbohun In Naval Cadet Uniform (Photos) / New Waste Bins Used In LASU (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by eaglechild: 3:46pm On Jan 29, 2015
Fellowship in the field of medicine is actually equivalent to PhD and with sub specialization it is equivalent to post PhD.

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by larek14: 3:47pm On Jan 29, 2015
Obama is a law professor without a PhD as well as Clinton. Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe are also our local examples. He should go and find something useful to do with his time. I'm a lecturer in clinical medicine here in the UK and I've not been found wanting without a PhD button I'm eminently qualified to teach as a consultant.

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by myhero4eva: 3:47pm On Jan 29, 2015
Iamsynord:
Laugh this off Lolzzz....... Yesterday, I was
sitting in
the church, and it was time for offering so the
offering basket was passed around.
Despite d Pastor's charge for gud offering, I still
hurriedly and secretly pulled out N50 from my
pocket and dropped it. Just then, the person
behind me tapped me on the shoulder and
handed
me a N1,000 note. I smiled, then put d N1,000
majestically in the basket and passed it on,
then I
turned and thank d man seriously for being so
generous.
He replied "don't mention my dear, after all it
fell
off ur pocket"
Dat was the last money on me .I trekked home that DAT day.
LWKMD U wan rob God abi? Nw trekin dn bcm ur pay bk...
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jan 29, 2015
Lol. The Vc don use OLUWOLE for them.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by larek14: 3:49pm On Jan 29, 2015
Excuse my typographical error in the above...meant to say that ! But I'm eminently....
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by ogawisdom(m): 3:50pm On Jan 29, 2015
poseidon12:

For your information, you can be a professor without getting a PhD.

Well yes in medicine but u need to ve like 12 to 15yrs post doctoral qualification to b considered for professorial appointment in Nigerian university in most fields plus other requirements
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 29, 2015
Iamsynord:
This people never said he was not running the university well or charged him for Embezzlement Oo..Pure hate..How can someone be a Prof without having a PhD first

Its possible in the medical field
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by flowbjones(m): 3:56pm On Jan 29, 2015
Professor John Oladapo OBAFUNWA
MBBS, FMCPath, FWACP (Lab.Med), DMJPath, FRCPath, FFPathRCP(I), Cert. Law (UK), LL.B. (Hons.) (UK), FCLM, FICS, FFFLM (Lond).
Prof. Obafunwa is a Professor of Forensic Pathology at the Lagos State University College of Medicine (LASUCOM), Lagos and a Consultant Pathologist to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Lagos, Nigeria.
In May 2008, he was appointed the First Chief Medical Examiner for Lagos State based on the new Coroner%u2019s Systems Law of 2007, a position he still holds.
After completing his undergraduate medical studies from the University of Lagos, Nigeria (1980), he obtained his postgraduate qualifications from the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria (1987) having spent five years of residency training at the Department of Morbid Anatomy, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi-Araba, Lagos, Nigeria. He proceeded to the Forensic Medicine Unit, Department of Pathology, University Medical School, Edinburgh, Scotland, where he studied for the Diploma in Medical Jurispudence (1991) and later obtained the Membership of the Royal College of Pathologists (1992). In 2004, he obtained amongst other qualifications, the Bachelors of Law degree from the University of Northumbria, United Kingdom.
By January 1988, Prof Obafunwa was already appointed as a Consultant Pathologist and Lecturer I. He was once the Acting Head of Department, Department of Pathology, Jos University Teaching Hospital, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria. In 2004, he was also appointed the Head of the Department of Morbid Anatomy (later Pathology and Forensic Medicine), Lagos State University College of Medicine, NIGERIA.
In May 2001, he was appointed as a Professor of Forensic Pathology in the Department of Morbid Anatomy (now Department of Pathology and Forensic Medicine), Lagos State University College of Medicine (LASUCOM), Ikeja, Lagos State, Nigeria.
One of his major achievements was drawing up a proposal to introduce a Masters Programme in Forensic Science and Forensic Medicine in the Lagos State University College of Medicine. The programme is the first of its kind in Nigeria and Sub-Saharan Africa outside South Africa (M. For. Sc. and M. For. Med. respectively).
From March 2006 to February 2010, he was the Provost, Lagos State University College of Medicine, Ikeja, Lagos State, Nigeria.
As a two time Provost of the College of Medicine, Lagos State University, he was involved in upgrading the infrastructural facilities and establishing liaison with academic and medical research institutions abroad.
His previous clinical experience spans Nigeria (Lagos University Teaching Hospital %u2013 LUTH, Jos University Teaching Hospital %u2013 JUTH and the Federal Ministry of Health), the United Kingdom (Forensic Medicine Unit, University of Edinburgh and the South Tyneside Healthcare Trust), Cayman Islands and Bermuda.
His teaching experience at both undergraduate and graduate levels have being in the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Faculty of Medicine of the University of Jos and the Lagos State University College of Medicine.
Prof. Obafunwa has numerous Dissertation/Case-Books and over 50 Scientific Papers published in leading international and local journals as well as in some textbooks.
He has attended over 40 international conferences on pathology.
He is an Examiner in the Part I and Part II Examinations of the Faculty of Pathology, National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria as well as an Examiner in the Part I and Part II Examinations of the Faculty of Laboratory Medicine, West African College of Physicians.
He is a member of many reputable professional associations some of which include the Association of Pathologists of Nigeria, Forensic Science Society, British Association of Forensic Medicine, British Academy of Forensic Sciences, American Academy of Forensic Sciences, American College of Forensic Examiners, College of of American Pathologists, American College of Legal Medicine (Fellow) and the National Association of Medical Examiners, USA.
A consummate gentleman who is widely respected in both academic and social circles, Prof. Obafunwa was conferred with the title of Otunba Baasegun of Ilara, Epe Division, Lagos State. He is married with two children.
Contact Details
Address:
Department of Pathology and Forensic Medicine
Lagos State University College of Medicine,
P.M.B 2266, Ikeja, Lagos, NIGERIA.

Telephone:
+ 234) 1 792 0234 (Home)
(+ 234) 8033966199 (Mobile)

Email Address:
joobafunwa@hotmail.com
picture

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Anticabal: 3:58pm On Jan 29, 2015
Pectoris:
If he is a medical doctor, he doesn't need a PhD to become a professor. His minimum of 5 years residency training to become a consultant is even more than that PhD degree. After becoming a consultant, he can read further, train medical students, write books and other stuffs to become a professor. Its even more difficult for a doctor to become professor than other professions, because the process is very long.

Sorry i have to disagree with you before you mislead people, A fellowship residency can not be equated with a Ph.D. A fellowship after medical residency is just a PROFESSIONAL DIPLOMA, even if it takes you a hundred years to acquire. Please do not equate a Postgraduate DIPLOMA with a Ph.D, the former is professional while the latter(Ph.D) is Academic.

In an academic environment Ph.D is what is needed and Dr. Obafunwa (Bachelor of Med/Surg) does not have it. ASUU is 100% right.

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by ikweremilitant: 4:03pm On Jan 29, 2015
lalasticlala:

http://theeagleonline.com.ng/ASUU-accuses-lasu-vc-of-non-possession-of-phd-keeping-two-jobs/
this the apc pattern of change.were a vc does nt have phd...a.p.c .,change.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jan 29, 2015
Many folks here make comments without having adequate insight into what obtains in the academia, both in Nigeria and other climes. In other parts of the world, for you to be a university professor, it's mandatory to have a PhD as a minimum requirement. Presently, even a PhD degree doesn't seem to be sufficient to land you an academic teaching job due to the high level of competition. A lot of folks have to go further and do a post-doc too. In Nigeria, due to the scarcity of PhD holders in the 70s and 80s when many of the universities were established, the minimum requirement for employing a university lecturer was lowered to having a masters degree with the intention that such lecturer will go ahead and obtain his PhD along the way. However, the majority of Nigerian lecturers didn't deem it necessary to take the extra step and obtain a PhD. Furthermore, since the universities senate were still awarding 'professorships' to senior lecturers who only had a masters degree, it further discouraged other lecturers from obtaining a PhD degree. In the unique case of medical doctors and dentists, their programmes are considered professional graduate programmes and hence, their degrees (MBBS/MBChB or BDS) are equivalent to a PhD degree. However, if a doctor or dentist decides to enter into the academia, then he is required to have a PhD degree. Indeed, the employment of academic lecturers without a PhD degree is an aberration which stemmed from the lack of PhD holders in prior years and continued into present time. The NUC had noted the aberration and had sometime in 2004 made it mandatory for all academic lecturers without a PhD degree to commence a PhD programme within the next 5 years. However, as is typical with issues in Nigeria, it was shoved to the background after some time.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by ascaris(m): 4:15pm On Jan 29, 2015
flowbjones:
Professor John Oladapo OBAFUNWA
MBBS, FMCPath, FWACP (Lab.Med), DMJPath, FRCPath, FFPathRCP(I), Cert. Law (UK), LL.B. (Hons.) (UK), FCLM, FICS, FFFLM (Lond).
Prof. Obafunwa is a Professor of Forensic Pathology at the Lagos State University College of Medicine (LASUCOM), Lagos and a Consultant Pathologist to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Lagos, Nigeria.
In May 2008, he was appointed the First Chief Medical Examiner for Lagos State based on the new Coroner%u2019s Systems Law of 2007, a position he still holds.
After completing his undergraduate medical studies from the University of Lagos, Nigeria (1980), he obtained his postgraduate qualifications from the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria (1987) having spent five years of residency training at the Department of Morbid Anatomy, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi-Araba, Lagos, Nigeria. He proceeded to the Forensic Medicine Unit, Department of Pathology, University Medical School, Edinburgh, Scotland, where he studied for the Diploma in Medical Jurispudence (1991) and later obtained the Membership of the Royal College of Pathologists (1992). In 2004, he obtained amongst other qualifications, the Bachelors of Law degree from the University of Northumbria, United Kingdom.
By January 1988, Prof Obafunwa was already appointed as a Consultant Pathologist and Lecturer I. He was once the Acting Head of Department, Department of Pathology, Jos University Teaching Hospital, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria. In 2004, he was also appointed the Head of the Department of Morbid Anatomy (later Pathology and Forensic Medicine), Lagos State University College of Medicine, NIGERIA.
In May 2001, he was appointed as a Professor of Forensic Pathology in the Department of Morbid Anatomy (now Department of Pathology and Forensic Medicine), Lagos State University College of Medicine (LASUCOM), Ikeja, Lagos State, Nigeria.
One of his major achievements was drawing up a proposal to introduce a Masters Programme in Forensic Science and Forensic Medicine in the Lagos State University College of Medicine. The programme is the first of its kind in Nigeria and Sub-Saharan Africa outside South Africa (M. For. Sc. and M. For. Med. respectively).
From March 2006 to February 2010, he was the Provost, Lagos State University College of Medicine, Ikeja, Lagos State, Nigeria.
As a two time Provost of the College of Medicine, Lagos State University, he was involved in upgrading the infrastructural facilities and establishing liaison with academic and medical research institutions abroad.
His previous clinical experience spans Nigeria (Lagos University Teaching Hospital %u2013 LUTH, Jos University Teaching Hospital %u2013 JUTH and the Federal Ministry of Health), the United Kingdom (Forensic Medicine Unit, University of Edinburgh and the South Tyneside Healthcare Trust), Cayman Islands and Bermuda.
His teaching experience at both undergraduate and graduate levels have being in the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Faculty of Medicine of the University of Jos and the Lagos State University College of Medicine.
Prof. Obafunwa has numerous Dissertation/Case-Books and over 50 Scientific Papers published in leading international and local journals as well as in some textbooks.
He has attended over 40 international conferences on pathology.
He is an Examiner in the Part I and Part II Examinations of the Faculty of Pathology, National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria as well as an Examiner in the Part I and Part II Examinations of the Faculty of Laboratory Medicine, West African College of Physicians.
He is a member of many reputable professional associations some of which include the Association of Pathologists of Nigeria, Forensic Science Society, British Association of Forensic Medicine, British Academy of Forensic Sciences, American Academy of Forensic Sciences, American College of Forensic Examiners, College of of American Pathologists, American College of Legal Medicine (Fellow) and the National Association of Medical Examiners, USA.
A consummate gentleman who is widely respected in both academic and social circles, Prof. Obafunwa was conferred with the title of Otunba Baasegun of Ilara, Epe Division, Lagos State. He is married with two children.
Contact Details
Address:
Department of Pathology and Forensic Medicine
Lagos State University College of Medicine,
P.M.B 2266, Ikeja, Lagos, NIGERIA.
Telephone:
+ 234) 1 792 0234 (Home)
(+ 234) 8033966199 (Mobile)
Email Address:
joobafunwa@hotmail.com
picture
[color=#990000][/color]
Where is the Ph.D?
Fellowship is not equivalent of Ph.D!

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by nke001: 4:20pm On Jan 29, 2015
Has he not heard that an affidavit is equivalenttt to certificate.
Just submit a court affidavit and u are good to go.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by ascaris(m): 4:27pm On Jan 29, 2015
eaglechild:
Fellowship in the field of medicine is actually equivalent to PhD and with sub specialization it is equivalent to post PhD.
A Prof. of Medicine lost this case in court in 2010 when he was disqualified from running for UniJos VC.
A VC with Fellowship can not Chair the senate which awards Ph.D!
You can not give what you don't have!
Untill we recognise HND as equivalent of First Degrees this issues will continue to be with us.

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by thaoriginator: 4:33pm On Jan 29, 2015
Iamsynord:
sitting in
handed
then I
generous.
fell
off ur pocket"
ah! Damn! I feel for you bro.. God will return it in millions you hear.. Chai! angry
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by komek(m): 4:35pm On Jan 29, 2015
dicefrost:

Its possible in the medical field

Its possible in virtually every field. Professorship is not a certification like Phd its an award base on ur contributions to knowlege. Ur journal, researches made to develop a solution to new problems in a field etc u can be awarded a Professor ship.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by adconline(m): 4:47pm On Jan 29, 2015
Profs Chinua Achebe and Soyinka do not have any PhD
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by DEEDEE111(m): 4:55pm On Jan 29, 2015
Chinaimporter:
[size=18pt]he is a proffesor of medicine and proffesors of medicine neadnt hav phds in all countries of tge world[/size]
Pls tell them! Ignorance displayed everywhere... Fellow of West African college or National postgraduate medical college is even higher than a PhD

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by holysainbj(m): 5:14pm On Jan 29, 2015
Certificate scandals now eh
After "open letters"
Isorait o...
Continue
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jan 29, 2015
Iamsynord:
This people never said he was not running the university well or charged him for Embezzlement Oo..Pure hate..How can someone be a Prof without having a PhD first
read the post again, he admitted to not having one but cited 'fellowship' as its equivalent.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by eaglechild: 5:24pm On Jan 29, 2015
ascaris:

A Prof. of Medicine lost this case in court in 2010 when he was disqualified from running for UniJos VC.
A VC with Fellowship can not Chair the senate which awards Ph.D!
You can not give what you don't have!
Untill we recognise HND as equivalent of First Degrees this issues will continue to be with us.
I guess you have to drag the VC of UNN and UI to court.

Each university has its own stipulations.

A professor is a university appointment.

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by eaglechild: 5:25pm On Jan 29, 2015
ascaris:
[color=#990000][/color]
Where is the Ph.D?
Fellowship is not equivalent of Ph.D!
Fellowship is higher than PhD.

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Evvilgenius: 5:34pm On Jan 29, 2015
Anticabal:

Sorry i have to disagree with you before you mislead people, A fellowship residency can not be equated with a Ph.D. A fellowship after medical residency is just a PROFESSIONAL DIPLOMA, even if it takes you a hundred years to acquire. Please do not equate a Postgraduate DIPLOMA with a Ph.D, the former is professional while the latter(Ph.D) is Academic.

In an academic environment Ph.D is what is needed and Dr. Obafunwa (Bachelor of Med/Surg) does not have it. ASUU is 100% right.

You're obviously ignorant. Calling a fellowship diploma? No wonder the standard of education in Nigeria is in its trough.

FYI, a fellow in a medical field e.g paediatrics can supervise a PhD student in paediatrics but a PhD holder can't supervise someone doing dissertation or thesis for fellowship. Fellowship is far far superior to a PhD.

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by ascaris(m): 6:00pm On Jan 29, 2015
eaglechild:

Fellowship is higher than PhD.
Story for the gods.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Uncletony(m): 6:02pm On Jan 29, 2015
Fashola & tifnubu..d change agents with their change!
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by 9jatatafo(m): 6:03pm On Jan 29, 2015
Iamsynord:
sitting in
handed
then I
generous.
fell
off ur pocket"

This one harsh oooo! Sorry ooo
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by 9jatatafo(m): 6:05pm On Jan 29, 2015
So you mean someone can become a professor without a PhD? Oga VC, oya tender your PhD certificate. I hope the PhD nor mean Pull Him Down. Certificate Transfer Window is open and we don't know when it will end.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by ascaris(m): 6:07pm On Jan 29, 2015
eaglechild:

I guess you have to drag the VC of UNN and UI to court.

Each university has its own stipulations.

A professor is a university appointment.
I had mentioned these Universities in my first post.
It is a pity that we don't have clear rules in situations like this.
I think LASU ASUU is looking at cases such as in UniJos.

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by 9jatatafo(m): 6:08pm On Jan 29, 2015
larek14:
Obama is a law professor without a PhD as well as Clinton. Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe are also our local examples. He should go and find something useful to do with his time. I'm a lecturer in clinical medicine here in the UK and I've not been found wanting without a PhD button I'm eminently qualified to teach as a consultant.

Educate them very well my brother. This is the problem we have in Nigeria, everything is centered on certificate. As long as the VC is running the school affairs well, they should let him be. I see this serious beefing.

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by emmaliver(m): 6:09pm On Jan 29, 2015
SEYIKP:
How on earth will a prof. not have PhD. we are in Nigeria sha were everything goes. oga show them your certificate and let sleeping dog lies.
He is obviously a medical doctor ( judging from his response) if this is the case, he doesnt need a PHD to become a professor.. All he needs is his recidency training NUC recognizes that Consultancy status/ Fellowship of a College is higher than a PHD cert. So He progressed in his academic life via d Consultancy pathway n became a prof!

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Fourwinds: 6:13pm On Jan 29, 2015
Nneka123:
i tire for your matter tongue, it's okay sha
Nneka123 is from anoda planet. can u see her skin colour tongue
Nneka123:
i tire for your matter tongue, it's okay sha
Nneka123 is from anoda planet. can u see her skin colour
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Anticabal: 6:17pm On Jan 29, 2015
Evvilgenius:

You're obviously ignorant. Calling a fellowship diploma? No wonder the standard of education in Nigeria is in its trough.

FYI, a fellow in a medical field e.g paediatrics can supervise a PhD student in paediatrics but a PhD holder can't supervise someone doing dissertation or thesis for fellowship. Fellowship is far far superior to a PhD.

Don't be deluded oga, don't let your lecturers deceive you. A phD is an academic doctorate applicable to our University mileu while a fellowship is a professional DIPLOMA. Garnish it with whatever name you want, it can never be academically superior to a PhD in the Academia. Stop lying to people.

9 Reasons Why Nigerian Universities Are Better Than Polytechnics / A Trip To Lorreto Special Secondary School, Anambra (Photos) / Lagos Indian School Where Nigerians Are Denied Admission

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82