Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

Ondo: Jonathan Decline Flags To Mimiko's Men - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ondo: Jonathan Decline Flags To Mimiko's Men (793 Views)

Oladun Aderonke Morolayo Resigns As Aide Of To Mimiko / Aba Banks Drop Nigerian Flags To Avoid Vandalization By Biafra Rioters / APC Issues Warning To Mimiko, Metuh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ondo: Jonathan Decline Flags To Mimiko's Men by Humblega(m): 10:23am On Jan 29, 2015
…orders gov to reconcile with Jimoh Ibrahim, others[/b][b][/b]
President respects rule of law
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday at the campaign rally in Akure, Ondo State capital, declined to present flags to Governor Olusegun Mimiko’s candidates as representatives of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, at next month’s elections.

Mimiko who had ordered some gold plated flags to be distributed to his candidates who came with him from the Labour Party in spite of court order that the PDP and the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, should relate in respect of elections, primaries and the affairs of the party with the new state executive committee.

The Governor in disobedience to the court order had attempted to put the President on his own page, presented the list of his own candidates for the presentation of the flags but Jonathan declined and instead opted to stay with his administration’s respect for the rule of law.

The President ordered the governor and Jimoh Ibrahim to reconcile immediately and that such reconciliation would add to the already rising popularity of PDP in the state.

Jimoh Ibrahim informed the President while on the podium that the governor was being smart and that the presentation of flags could not be done due to a court order of which the governor, PDP and INEC were put on notice and at which they registered appearances.

Mimiko, who looked dejected and worried by the refusal of the President to present the flags, was sweating profusely and ordered for artificial fans to rescue the situation.

Ibrahim, who thanked the President for taking his advice at that critical moment to prevent crisis, assured Jonathan that all the candidates who are currently in court would abide by the decision of the court.

He said that if the candidates were not given the opportunity to enforce their legal rights they would have run away from the party.

He added that the candidates mobilised more than 30,000 supporters with Jonathan’s T-shirts for the rally and challenged Mimiko to show evidence of his mobilisation for the rally.

Ibrahim, who faulted Mimiko’s strategy for declaring public holiday and closing down schools in Ondo State during the President’s visit, said that President Jonathan’s popularity did not require public holiday.

He said that before Mimiko joined PDP, Jonathan had polled 368,000 votes.

Ibrahim added that there was no credible evidence to show that Mimiko’s coming to the PDP was of any advantage and assured the people of Ondo State that the days of injustice, maneuvering and strategic games would soon be over.

Meanwhile, President Jonathan yesterday urged the feuding leaders of the PDP in the state to sheathe their swords in the interest of the party and the state.

The PDP state chapter has been embroiled in a protracted crisis since Mimiko joined the party from the LP in October last year.

President Jonathan, however, warned that it would be sad if other parties were allowed to take advantage of the PDP crisis in the state.

He gave the warning at the Democracy Park, Akure, during the state presidential rally of the party.

Jonathan said: “For the PDP family in Ondo State, what I will also use this platform to request is that yes, we appreciate that we have issues in Ondo State. The party will work very hard to make sure that Jimoh Ibrahim and the governor must sit together and talk about the interest of Ondo State.

“Iroko himself, Jimoh Ibrahim and Olusola Oke must sit down and discuss the development of Ondo State. They must not discuss personal things or things pertaining to individuals. They must work with us to make sure that collectively we talk about the development of Ondo State and about the development of the nation.

“They have some cold relationship now but we will heat up the relationship to make it warm. We will work with them. So, those of you who are supporting all of us here, you should know that we are together.

“We have issues as a party and we will resolve these issues. We want one PDP in Ondo State, not two PDP.

“If we don’t work together, you will be surprised that other parties will exploit it and none of us will be happy. We cannot play with Ondo State because Ondo State has showed leadership. Ondo State is a strong PDP state. Ondo will remain a PDP state and we will make sure that all sons and daughters of Ondo State within PDP work together for the interest of our great party.

“Everything about politics is the people. I know how I came to play politics. I will leave that for the day that God will permit me to write my own autobiography. Politics is about people. But for the people, I would not have been here today. I did not join politics because I wanted something for myself.

“So, I will encourage every politician to think about the people. They will serve us better if collectively they talk, they discuss, they think and do things that will project Ondo State; that will enable the Federal Government to work with them to bring dividends of democracy to Ondo State.”

The President promised to tackle unemployment in the country and empower the youth to make meaningful contributions to the development of the country.

He also pledged to further develop Ondo State, disclosing that one of the youngest helicopter pilots who just trained through the PTDF in South-Africa was from the state.

“We must strengthen the Nigerian youth for leadership. That’s why we are talking about education to give them the strength. Once they have the strength, we must also empower them. And the way to empower them is to create job opportunities for them.

“That’s why we have the Federal Government committee, what we call Presidential Job Creation Board chaired by the Vice-President Namadi Sambo and Tony Elumelu.

Other members of the private sector are part and parcel. Not just government alone, the private sector is fully involved.

“And we want to make sure that we create not less than two million jobs every year, because we know that the number of young Nigerians entering the labour market every year is about 1.8 million and there is a backlog of the unemployed, both men and women.”

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/ondo-jonathan-declines-fl-ags-to-mimikos-men/
Re: Ondo: Jonathan Decline Flags To Mimiko's Men by Elslim: 10:31am On Jan 29, 2015
P
Re: Ondo: Jonathan Decline Flags To Mimiko's Men by Nobody: 10:57am On Jan 29, 2015
All over Nigeria PDP are known for irregularity where 9 is higher than 16

1 Like

Re: Ondo: Jonathan Decline Flags To Mimiko's Men by Nobody: 10:57am On Jan 29, 2015
All over Nigeria PDP are known for irregularity where 9 is higher than 16 shame

(1) (Reply)

Who Fares Better? Nigerian Graduate And African American Graduate Compared / Mark Wants Bayelsa Auto Crash Victims Immortalized / Caption This Picture, Naija My Country.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.