Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,903 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:44 PM

These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview (40599 Views)

Best Answer To The Interview Question - Why Hire You? / 5 Ways To Answer The Interview Question, "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" / How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jan 30, 2015
My first interview ever that got me a banking job. Immediately I entered the room and introductions went off, one of the interviewers asked me to tell them stuffs about myself that was not on my CV.

Honestly, I had not prepared for that question but luckily I was able to start off on the right foot and then I was flowing on and on.
The key strategy for me was the fact that I had memorized my CV and then it was easy to remember what is not exactly on it.
secondly, i was able to relate the question to mean I should tell them what I can do that was not on the CV, and also my strenghts that were not on the CV.

I have practically maintained a single format for my CV ever since youth service year, so no matter how often i update my CV, i still have an overview of the contents.

The interview lasted 7mins, while those that have been going in since morning I came, were spending at least 45mins.

1 Like

Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jan 30, 2015
Norstrademus:
please Sir could u be nice enough to correct the bolded..am waiting
Between "a MD" and "an MD" which is correct to you?
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by BokoHaramm: 2:21pm On Jan 30, 2015
Timroy:
Can someone give the write response to the cheap interview questions thrown @ ppl during interview so we can learn incase we find ourselves on an interview hot seat. Thanks.

E.g. Can we meet you? Can we know you? Answer?
bros u dey try with dat your english, shey na mechanic job u dey luk for?

1 Like

Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by oluseuniyi(m): 2:21pm On Jan 30, 2015
#Copied....

Below are some of
the most commonly asked tough questions in an
interview setting and answer tips to get you
started:

1.) Tell Us About Yourself
Bad Answer: I graduated four years ago from the
University of Lagos, with a Bachelor’s in Biology —
but I decided that wasn’t the right path for me. So I
switched gears and got my first job, working in
sales for a startup. Then I went on to work in
marketing for a law firm. After that, I took a few
months off to travel. Finally, I came back and
worked in marketing again. And now, here I am,
looking for a more challenging marketing role.
Hint: Instead of giving a chronological work history,
focus on your strengths and how they pertain to the
role. If possible, illustrate with examples.
Good Answer: I’m really energetic, and a great
communicator. Working in sales for two years
helped me build confidence, and taught me the
importance of customer loyalty. I’ve also got a track
record of success. In my last role, I launched a
company newsletter, which helped us build on our
existing relationships and create new ones.
Because of this, we ended up seeing a revenue
increase of 10% over two years. I’m also really
interested in how companies can use web tools to
better market themselves, and would be committed
to building on your existing platform. Copied from:
www.
2.) Why Do You Want To Work In This Industry?
Bad Answer: I love to shop. Even as a kid, I spent
hours flipping through catalogs.
Hint: Don't just say you like it. Anyone can do that.
Focus instead on your history with that particular
industry, and if you can, tell a success story.
Good Answer: I've always loved shopping, but my
interest in retail marketing really started when I
worked at a neighborhood boutique. I knew our
clothes were amazing, but that we weren’t
marketing them properly. So I worked with
management to come up with a marketing strategy
that increased our sales by 25% in a year. It was
great to be able to contribute positively to an
industry I feel so passionate about, and to help
promote a product I really believed in. Copied from:
www.
3.) Where Do You See Yourself In Five Years?
Bad Answer: Relaxing on a beach in Banana Island
Ikoyi, or Doing your job.
Hint: There’s really no right answer to this question,
but the interviewer wants to know that you’re
ambitious, career-oriented, and committed to a
future with the company. So instead of sharing your
dream for early retirement, or trying to be funny,
give them an answer that illustrates your drive and
commitment.
Good Answer: In five years I’d like to have an even
better understanding of this industry. Also, I really
love working with people. Ultimately, I’d like to be in
some type of managerial role at this company,
where I can use my people skills and industry
knowledge to benefit the people working for me, and
the company as a whole. Copied from:
www.
4.) What’s Your Greatest Weakness?
Bad Answer: I work too hard, or for the comedian,
"Fine Girls."
Hint: This question is a great opportunity to put a
positive spin on something negative, but you don’t
want your answer to be cliche — joking or not.
Instead, try to use a real example of a weakness
you have learned to overcome. Copied from:
www.
Good Answer: I've never been very comfortable
with public speaking — which, as you know, can be
a hindrance in the workplace. Realizing this was a
problem, I asked my previous employer if I could
enroll in a speech workshop. He said “yes.” I took
the class, and was able to overcome my lifelong
fear. Since then, I’ve given lots of presentations to
audiences of over a 100 high level executives — I
still don’t love it, but no one else can tell! Copied
5.) What Is Your Greatest Failure, And What Did You
Learn From It?
Bad Answer: I never finished law school - and
everything that’s happened since has taught me
that giving up, just because the going gets tough, is
a huge mistake.
Hint: You don’t want to actually highlight a major
regret especially one that exposes an overall
dissatisfaction with your life. Instead, focus on a
smaller, but significant, mishap, and how it has
made you a better professional.
Good Answer: When I was in college, I took an art
class to supplement my curriculum. I didn’t take it
very seriously, and assumed that, compared to my
Engineering classes, it would be a walk in the park.
My failing grades at midterm showed me otherwise.
I’d even jeopardized my scholarship status. I knew I
had to get my act together. I spent the rest of the
semester making up for it, ended up getting a
decent grade in the class. I learned that no matter
what I’m doing, I should strive to do it to the best of
my ability. Otherwise, it’s not worth doing at all.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by amobii: 2:25pm On Jan 30, 2015
Bsc:
Somebody take this page and shade light on unionism...... This personal managers always asking anything that comes to there mind....very very soon ....it will be what is the name of ma wife and first son....

the interviewer would like to know your extra curriculum activities, like school union, workers union/trade association you belong to. Now if you are in any of these social activities currently, you can tell them otherwise just take them back to your school life that you are one of the exco in your department/faculty and mention your post and be smart about it because further questions can come from that angle again.
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by BokoHaramm: 2:25pm On Jan 30, 2015
jamesbridget13:
please how does it work for andriod device?
buhari come and see the replica of your brain here.

1 Like

Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by Jchi9876: 2:52pm On Jan 30, 2015
kennynelcon:
It is not easy to be EMPLOYED. [/b]OP don't lose hope till you see a regret mail[b].

Huh?
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by aguizm(m): 2:55pm On Jan 30, 2015
beau49:

There is no right or wrong answer,the key is being able to give a brief summary of yourself for about 2-3mins or less. The major thing is just say something.

You could either tell what is on your Cv or things not included there.

E.g - using the things included on your cv to answer the 'can we meet you?' question.

My name is aguzim aguzim a graduate of accounting from aguzim state university. I graduated in 2011 and the next year proceeded for NYSC programme during which I was posted to abia state and served at aguzim local govt council at the office of auditor general pf the council. During this period I was the financial secretary of my cds group,a position which I held for a period of 6months. I am a self motivated,energetic and ambitious person and I enjoy and is very comfortable working with people.

Sorry I had to use your monicker....lol. Just change them to suit you and you can add some other things to it.

Or you tell them about your family background and some other things not included in your CV. I don't like taking this particular style cause I find myself not having anything in particular to say. Maybe others can shed more light on this particular style.

Hope it helps.
Whaooo, u have really educated me. I have never been to any interview before cos I just rounded up my NYSC and the few jobs I did in between was through man know man so I do get scared about job interviews. Please can I pm u?
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by doctuw(m): 2:55pm On Jan 30, 2015
if you were truly ready for a job interview, those questions are what you should expect in an interview. that means you did not prepare at all
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jan 30, 2015
this thread ROCKS!!!!.....getting info like sipping water from my cup!!!...

thanks@op....good job!!!!
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by Edmomd(m): 2:59pm On Jan 30, 2015
Bsc:
Somebody take this page and shade light on unionism...... This personal managers always asking anything that comes to there mind....very very soon ....it will be what is the name of ma wife and first son....
On the issue of Unionism, I will advice every job seekers to search about the company history on unionism. Most Lebenese companies don't want to employ unionist. They assume that a unionist will always want to change the crude way of implementing their welfare packages. Its only some Multi national companies from USA and Europe that sees abour union as a means to growing. If you are want to get the job at all means and u have once been a unionist, either trade or student, pls deny it. Tell the interviewer that u were once a leader of other social or capacity group when u were in school. Hope it help.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by lepasharon(f): 3:01pm On Jan 30, 2015
LOL those are simple questions, I guess you were very nervous. It almost happened to me
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by beau49: 3:08pm On Jan 30, 2015
aguizm:
Whaooo, u have really educated me. I have never been to any interview before cos I just rounded up my NYSC and the few jobs I did in between was through man know man so I do get scared about job interviews. Please can I pm u?

Happy I could help.... smiley

Its normal to be scared but don't let it overwhelm you. And another thing is if you prepare well before the interview it adds to your level of confidence and most especially pray(well for those who believe in it).

Sure you can
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by beau49: 3:11pm On Jan 30, 2015
Chukwutobi:
Can you see how wicked the behaviour of the mods can be. I posted answer to these interview questions sometimes ago but it never reached the front page. The desire to fill the front page with entertainment and politics gists have caused it. Fellow NLanders don't fail your next interview pls read it on this tread:
www.nairaland.com/2056903/ten-tough-interview-questions-ten

Lol....don't mind them grin grin

You thread was very helpful....thanks
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by tenry(m): 3:15pm On Jan 30, 2015
Sorry ooo but guys, pls stop writing application and attending interview. I wasted 3 years doing this before God showed me the way. Even while looking for job, I finished my MSc and still was looking for a job with my MSc thinking it was going to be easy with higher qualification. The story remained the same. My people, my business now gives me what the job I was searching for will never give me coupled with the time I have to venture into other things. I know it us not easy to start cos it WaS not easy for me too while starting. It takes courage and great determination to do. I started my bus with 400k and within a year, the money increased to 2million plus. I have friends who started with less than 100k they brought from NYSC and today,they are doing fine. Pls don't listen to empty promises of these politicians that they will create jobs when voted into power,they are liars. My people, pls let's start something and work hard to see it grow.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by Myself2(m): 3:28pm On Jan 30, 2015
donald1010:
The MD/CEO,asked me;

1 What are your strength and weakness?

2 What unionism are you into? And finally

3 What other skills do you have?

All these are simple questions for everyone on a good day, but while I was with the CEO of soulmate industry in the conference room,I could not alter....I never forgive myself for this messed up!!!

Guys take not of those questions plz...

@OP,Per the highlighted,you still need to work on a few things.......... wink
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by bayulll01(m): 3:31pm On Jan 30, 2015
LewisO:

When u are asked to talk about yourself in an interview, it's one of the most difficult question that shut u down at times, because u will be having this kinda thought of "If my self-expression isn't up to par to a very chronic interviewer, does that mean am not capable enough for them to adhere and merit it"?

And that question seem to be like, u are eulogizing yourself towards them.

So many different thoght that can make u shut-up! lipsrsealed
but I believe that question is always the first and it will be the basis on which the interview will be base on,I think just tell them ur personality and ur professionalism I think that one will do
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by Betasms: 3:41pm On Jan 30, 2015
kay1one:
Your english sef ma wa! cheesy grin

I really wanted to ignore this but this is not a nice thing to write, if you were just going to laugh about the English of the op you dint have to comment.
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by Betasms: 3:54pm On Jan 30, 2015
Norstrademus:
Even here where u are not faced with any form of pressure,u cannot even coordinate your written English. Wonder how on earth you will do well when u interface with a MD for a job interview..Guy repackage urself biko!!

Just imagine this person correcting someone, With your own ' a MD' oga work on your English as well, no one is perfect!

1 Like

Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by ALAYORMII: 4:12pm On Jan 30, 2015
kay1one:
Your english sef ma wa! cheesy grin

You wanted to mock him but you ended up making a mistake ursef.

Perfection is never attainable

3 Likes

Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by calexix(f): 4:16pm On Jan 30, 2015
Norstrademus:
Even here where u are not faced with any form of pressure,u cannot even coordinate your written English. Wonder how on earth you will do well when u interface with a MD for a job interview..Guy repackage urself biko!!

Haba This is quite Harsh

1 Like

Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jan 30, 2015
What he actually meant was, he shouldn't give up, the job might still be his
Jchi9876:

Huh?
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by Betasms: 4:18pm On Jan 30, 2015
calexix:

Haba This is quite Harsh

Abi oo, people are just mean and want to be noticed. Such an ass.
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by LewisO: 4:22pm On Jan 30, 2015
bayulll01:
but I believe that question is always the first and it will be the basis on which the interview will be base on,I think just tell them ur personality and ur professionalism I think that one will do

Not saying to me get, just saying some fall-in into such.
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by bayulll01(m): 4:27pm On Jan 30, 2015
LewisO:

undecided
LewisO:

Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by piagetskinner(m): 4:44pm On Jan 30, 2015
That unionism ish, one has to answer with wisdom...cos private companys do not tolerate trade union activities# however, the relationship btw employers and employees is meant to be cordial, devoid of unfair practices by both parties
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by femiola3: 5:21pm On Jan 30, 2015
KAYCEEJUNIOR:
The guy was prepared....just that, along the line he was overshadowed by anxiety, it has happened to me at Juhuia Group.....imagine me as a marketing strategist, I was asked the strategy to get distributors....immediately me brain opened and it seems like the breeze blew away my thinking cap.
I was there staring at the white men and that Nigerian dude that asked the question, I then asked myself.....who dey do me this thing, is it from my village?

Op its well.....just move on, and forget as if you've never had any interview with them, most Nigeria firms and recruiters do not know the basics of HR and because of it.....they don't give feedback after interview just to keep jobseekers in the dark of hopless opportunity

menh!...u make me laugh...
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by LewisO: 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2015
bayulll01:
undecided

Excuse me!
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jan 30, 2015
Norstrademus:
pls have a change of reasoning and how you see things. you would also score zero if your written English is assesed . That young man was only trying to help other folks out there. please , lets start thinking right and be warm to people
Re: These Are The Questions That Made Me Fail/lost The Interview by ecode1(m): 6:25pm On Jan 30, 2015
It is well. What is yours will not and never pass you by.

How Interview turns out something can't be predicted. Na God get power pass.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sometimes I Want To Regret Going To School / Cummins Nigeria Recruitment 2017 Is Ongoing – Apply Now / 2017 HEINEKEN International Graduate Trainee Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.